|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
2. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
3. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
4. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
5. Of what did MM's prayer offerings consist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
2. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
3. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
4. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
5. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
6. How did Fujiwara's affair with his first wife affect MM?
7. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
8. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
9. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
10. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)