|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
2. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
3. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
4. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
5. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
2. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
3. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
4. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
5. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
6. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
7. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
8. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
9. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
10. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the role of religion in MM's life.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)