|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
2. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
3. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
4. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
5. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
2. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
3. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
4. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
5. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
6. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
7. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
8. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
9. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
10. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles jealousy and humiliation played in MM's life in regards to her relationships with her husband, family, attendants, and other women.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)