|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural disaster hit the town after Fujiwara finally stayed a night with MM after their first falling out over his first wife?
2. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
3. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
4. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
5. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
2. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
3. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
4. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
5. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
6. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
7. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
8. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
9. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
10. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the feminist aspects of "The Kagero Diary."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which MM used her art for empowerment.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)