|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
2. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
3. For what did Fujiwara instruct MM to prepare when she returned from her pilgrimage?
4. How many goose eggs did MM send to the young prince?
5. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
2. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
3. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
4. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
5. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
6. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
7. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
8. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
9. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
10. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)