|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
2. From whom did the courier in the market town bear a message?
3. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
4. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
5. Of what did MM's prayer offerings consist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
2. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
3. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
4. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
5. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
6. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
7. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
8. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
9. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
10. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the role of religion in MM's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)