|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
2. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
3. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
4. How old was MM when Fujiwara begins to court her?
5. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
2. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
3. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
4. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
5. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
6. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
7. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
8. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
9. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
10. What happened to the minister of the left?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles jealousy and humiliation played in MM's life in regards to her relationships with her husband, family, attendants, and other women.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the significance of MM's final rejection of Fujiwara and the ways in which she came to terms with their broken marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different motivations behind MM's diary and what each possibility suggests about the ways she recorded her experiences, as well as how it affects the reader's relationship to the author and the material.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)