|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
2. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
3. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
4. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
5. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
2. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
3. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
4. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
5. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
6. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
7. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
8. How did Fujiwara's affair with his first wife affect MM?
9. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
10. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different motivations behind MM's diary and what each possibility suggests about the ways she recorded her experiences, as well as how it affects the reader's relationship to the author and the material.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the marriage of MM and Fujiwara.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the feminist aspects of "The Kagero Diary."
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)