|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was significant about Fujiwara's illicit relationship when he first married MM?
2. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
3. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
4. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
5. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
2. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
3. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
4. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
5. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
6. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
7. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
8. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
9. How did Fujiwara's affair with his first wife affect MM?
10. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)