|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season did MM and Fujiwara move into her father's old house?
2. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
3. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
4. Who was in the box next to MM and Fujiwara at the Gosechi Festival?
5. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
2. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
3. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
4. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
5. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
6. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
7. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
8. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
9. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
10. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the marriage of MM and Fujiwara.
Essay Topic 2
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)