|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the market town MM visited on her pilgrimage?
2. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
3. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
4. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
5. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
2. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
3. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
4. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
5. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
6. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
7. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
8. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
9. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
10. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the significance of MM's final rejection of Fujiwara and the ways in which she came to terms with their broken marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)