|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
2. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
3. In this book, for what does MM stand?
4. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
5. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
2. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
3. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
4. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
5. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
6. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
7. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
8. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
9. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
10. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)