|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
2. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
3. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
4. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
5. Where is MM when Fujiwara first attempted to visit her?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
2. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
3. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
4. How did Fujiwara's affair with his first wife affect MM?
5. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
6. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
7. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
8. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
9. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
10. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)