|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
2. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
3. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
4. What did MM feel for Fujiwara's first wife when she realized he was seeing them both?
5. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
2. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
3. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
4. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
5. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
6. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
7. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
8. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
9. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
10. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways was MM a victim of her own society? Write an essay about her difficulties in fitting in with the world around her, including her feelings of alienation and isolation and the ways in which she had to find empowerment on her own terms.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which MM used her art for empowerment.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)