|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
2. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
3. What river did MM cross to reach the object of her pilgrimage?
4. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
5. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
2. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
3. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
4. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
5. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
6. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
7. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
8. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
9. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
10. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the short-term and long-term effects of Fujiwara's adultery on his wives and children.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)