|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
2. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
3. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
4. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
5. From whom did the courier in the market town bear a message?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
2. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
3. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
4. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
5. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
6. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
7. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
8. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
9. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
10. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)