|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
2. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
3. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
4. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
5. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
2. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
3. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
4. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
5. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
6. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
7. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
8. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
9. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
10. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)