|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days was Fujiwara seriously ill?
2. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
3. According to her reply through the courier, where was MM heading after her stay in the market town?
4. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
5. What was the name of Fujiwara's first wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
2. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
3. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
4. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
5. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
6. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
7. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
8. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
9. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
10. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which MM used her art for empowerment.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the feminist aspects of "The Kagero Diary."
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)