|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
2. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
3. What was the market town MM visited on her pilgrimage?
4. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
5. Why did MM make so many pilgrimages to different shrines?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
2. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
3. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
4. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
5. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
6. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
7. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
8. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
9. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
10. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different motivations behind MM's diary and what each possibility suggests about the ways she recorded her experiences, as well as how it affects the reader's relationship to the author and the material.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)