|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
2. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
3. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
4. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
5. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
2. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
3. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
4. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
5. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
6. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
7. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
8. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
9. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
10. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different motivations behind MM's diary and what each possibility suggests about the ways she recorded her experiences, as well as how it affects the reader's relationship to the author and the material.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)