|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural disaster hit the town after Fujiwara finally stayed a night with MM after their first falling out over his first wife?
2. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
3. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
4. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
5. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
2. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
3. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
4. What was the purpose of the director's subterfuge when he claimed he needed to speak to Michitsuna?
5. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
6. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
7. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
8. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
9. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
10. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the feminist aspects of "The Kagero Diary."
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the short-term and long-term effects of Fujiwara's adultery on his wives and children.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)