|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
2. What did MM feel for Fujiwara's first wife when she realized he was seeing them both?
3. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
4. Who stayed in the same apartment building as MM by the palace?
5. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
2. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
3. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
4. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
5. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
6. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
7. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
8. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
9. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
10. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which MM used her art for empowerment.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different motivations behind MM's diary and what each possibility suggests about the ways she recorded her experiences, as well as how it affects the reader's relationship to the author and the material.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze MM's relationships with both Lady Joganden and the Prince in regards to their society and the protocol of the court.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)