|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
2. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
3. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
4. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
5. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
2. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
3. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
4. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
5. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
6. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
7. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
8. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
9. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
10. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)