|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
2. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
3. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
4. Who was in the box next to MM and Fujiwara at the Gosechi Festival?
5. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
2. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
3. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
4. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
5. How did Fujiwara's affair with his first wife affect MM?
6. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
7. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
8. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
9. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
10. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways was MM a victim of her own society? Write an essay about her difficulties in fitting in with the world around her, including her feelings of alienation and isolation and the ways in which she had to find empowerment on her own terms.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)