|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
2. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
3. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
4. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
5. How old was MM when Fujiwara begins to court her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
2. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
3. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
4. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
5. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
6. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
7. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
8. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
9. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
10. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways was MM a victim of her own society? Write an essay about her difficulties in fitting in with the world around her, including her feelings of alienation and isolation and the ways in which she had to find empowerment on her own terms.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)