|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
2. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
3. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
4. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
5. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
2. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
3. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
4. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
5. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
6. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
7. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
8. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
9. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
10. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the marriage of MM and Fujiwara.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)