|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was Tenroku?
2. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
(a) Her ability to meditate outside of the monastery.
(b) The effectiveness of her absence.
(c) Her relationship with her son.
(d) Her relationship with Fujiwara.
3. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(b) He had bruised up his face the day before.
(c) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(d) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
4. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
(b) The Prince.
5. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) His new lover.
(b) His new job.
(c) Her illness.
(d) Her devotion to her prayers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
2. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
3. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
4. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
5. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
2. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
3. Describe MM's poetry.
4. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
5. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
6. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
7. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
8. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
9. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
10. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)