|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
2. Why was MM unable to prepare Fujiwara's mourning clothes?
(a) Fujiwara had gained too much weight for MM to accurately measure him.
(b) The attendants in charge of that were gone.
(c) MM was on a pilgrimage.
(d) MM was too ill.
3. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(a) Vegetarian diet.
4. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
(a) MM ignored him in the street.
(b) MM was not present at his induction.
(c) MM did not send congratulations.
(d) MM refused to address him by title.
5. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
(a) MM's illness.
(b) MM's depression.
(c) MM's temper.
(d) MM's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
2. What notable holiday passed in Fujiwara's absence when he became involved with Omi?
3. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
4. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
5. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
2. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
3. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
4. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
5. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
6. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
7. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
8. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
9. Describe MM's poetry.
10. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)