|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
2. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
(a) He wanted him to know of MM's illness.
(b) He wanted to help his father find the rest of his children.
(c) He wanted to hire him for his new business.
(d) He wanted to fight him.
3. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
4. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The barren fields.
(b) The snow.
(c) The flowerless terrain.
(d) The cold ocean.
5. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(d) Vegetarian diet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did MM move into her father's house?
2. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
3. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
4. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
5. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
2. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
3. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
4. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
5. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
6. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
7. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
8. Describe MM's poetry.
9. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
10. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)