|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
(a) Her relationship with her son.
(b) Her relationship with Fujiwara.
(c) Her ability to meditate outside of the monastery.
(d) The effectiveness of her absence.
2. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The flowerless terrain.
(b) The snow.
(c) The cold ocean.
(d) The barren fields.
3. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
(a) She wanted more children.
(b) She was lonely without children.
(c) She wanted to punish Fujiwara.
(d) She was afraid she would have no one to take care of her.
4. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(d) Vegetarian diet.
5. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(c) Vow to her son.
(d) Ritual seclusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what or whom was MM concerned when she came home, much to Fujiwara's annoyance?
2. During her depression after Fujiwara's illness in Book Two, to where did MM make an enjoyable pilgrimage?
3. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
4. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
5. Why did MM move into her father's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
2. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
3. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
4. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
5. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
6. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
7. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
8. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
9. What happened to the minister of the left?
10. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)