|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
(a) He was hoping for forgiveness about his adultery.
(b) He was hoping to divorce her soon.
(c) He wished to satisfy the lunar calendar.
(d) He was praying for their son's health and happiness.
2. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
(a) Abandoning her.
(b) Angering her family.
(c) Mistreating their son.
(d) Leaving his job.
3. What year was Tenroku?
4. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
(a) MM's illness.
(b) MM's work.
(c) MM's temper.
(d) MM's depression.
5. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
(c) The Prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
2. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
3. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
4. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
5. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
2. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
3. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
4. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
5. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
6. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
7. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
8. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
9. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
10. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)