|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
(a) Her pride.
(b) Her religious duties.
(c) Her fears of the after life.
(d) Her son.
2. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) Tokihime's presence in the building.
(b) The Prince's infatuation with her.
(c) Her son's adolescence.
(d) Living too close to her husband.
3. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
4. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(d) Growing old.
5. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
(a) MM's depression.
(b) MM's illness.
(c) MM's temper.
(d) MM's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what or whom was MM concerned when she came home, much to Fujiwara's annoyance?
2. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
3. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter to Fujiwara?
4. What notable holiday passed in Fujiwara's absence when he became involved with Omi?
5. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the minister of the left?
2. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
3. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
4. Describe MM's poetry.
5. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
6. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
7. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
8. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
9. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
10. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)