|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He had bruised up his face the day before.
(b) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(c) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(d) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
2. Through whom was MM only able to tolerate communicating with Fujiwara after adopting her daughter?
(b) Her daughter.
(d) The Prince.
3. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
(d) Leave seclusion.
4. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
5. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
(a) He thought she did not tell him about her move on purpose.
(b) He was angry that her father was interfering with his life.
(c) He was afraid she would take his money.
(d) He believed she was turning Michitsuna against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
2. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
3. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
4. What was the station of Omi, Fujiwara's latest fixation in Book Two?
5. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe MM's poetry.
2. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
3. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
4. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
5. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
6. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
7. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
8. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
9. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
10. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)