|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
(a) Her ability to meditate outside of the monastery.
(b) Her relationship with her son.
(c) Her relationship with Fujiwara.
(d) The effectiveness of her absence.
2. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(c) Vegetarian diet.
3. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
4. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) His new lover.
(b) Her devotion to her prayers.
(c) His new job.
(d) Her illness.
5. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
2. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
3. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
4. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
5. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
2. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
3. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
4. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
5. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
6. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
7. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
8. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
9. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
10. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)