|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
(a) She had guards.
(b) Michitsuna was questioned by the police.
(c) She was in a carriage.
(d) She was running away.
2. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
3. Of what did Michitsuna's lady friend angrily accuse him?
(a) Using her for money.
(b) Courting another woman.
(c) Interfering with her life.
(d) Ignoring her.
4. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
(a) He wanted to fight him.
(b) He wanted to hire him for his new business.
(c) He wanted him to know of MM's illness.
(d) He wanted to help his father find the rest of his children.
5. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) Religious observances.
(b) A long fast.
(d) A third marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
2. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
3. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
4. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
5. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
2. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
3. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
4. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
5. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
6. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
7. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
8. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
9. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
10. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)