|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
(a) She brought very few attendants.
(b) She did not stay in a hotel.
(c) She avoided to the shrine during its more populated hours.
(d) She dressed herself in peasant clothing.
2. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(b) He did not want to get his son sick.
(c) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
(d) He did not want MM to see his decline.
3. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
4. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
(d) Care for her child.
5. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
(a) Tea ceremony.
(b) The birth of her second child.
(d) Enthronement Rites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
2. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
3. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
4. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
5. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
2. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
3. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
4. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
5. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
6. How did Fujiwara's affair with his first wife affect MM?
7. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
8. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
9. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
10. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)