|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After MM refuses to perform an insulting favor for Fujiwara and his first wife, how long does he shun her?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A week.
(d) Several months.
2. Who was in the box next to MM and Fujiwara at the Gosechi Festival?
(a) His first wife.
(b) MM's father.
(c) Their future daughter-in-law's family.
(d) The Prince.
3. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
(c) The people.
4. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
(a) He was obeying her father's wishes.
(b) She was an unfaithful partner.
(c) He was a weak man.
(d) She was not in love with him.
5. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
(a) He propositioned her.
(b) He abused her.
(c) He kicked her out of her house.
(d) He proposed to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
2. What natural disaster hit the town after Fujiwara finally stayed a night with MM after their first falling out over his first wife?
3. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
4. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
5. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
2. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
3. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
4. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
5. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
6. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
7. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
8. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
9. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
10. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)