|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many days was Fujiwara seriously ill?
2. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
(a) Head cook.
(b) Head chamberlain.
(c) Head secretary.
3. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
(a) She wanted her to suffer.
(b) She wanted her to beg for forgiveness.
(c) She wanted her to run away with Fujiwara.
(d) She wanted her to only bear daughters to Fujiwara.
4. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) Fujiwara had become ill.
(b) Fujiwara was out of the village.
(c) His first wife had other lovers.
(d) She was trying to win him back as well.
5. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
(a) Grief over her mother's death.
(b) A minor epidemic.
(c) Suicide attempt.
(d) Food poisoning.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to her reply through the courier, where was MM heading after her stay in the market town?
2. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
3. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
4. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
5. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
2. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
3. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
4. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
5. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
6. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
7. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
8. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
9. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
10. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)