|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
(a) Head secretary.
(c) Head cook.
(d) Head chamberlain.
2. Who stayed in the same apartment building as MM by the palace?
(a) The Prince.
(c) Lady Joganden.
(d) MM's father.
3. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
(a) Help her in childbirth.
(b) Pray for her.
(c) Cook her dinner.
(d) Sew baby clothes.
4. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She only had one child.
(b) She was still not his favored wife.
(c) She was no longer an artist.
(d) She had neglected her religious duties.
5. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) She asked for a divorce.
(b) He ignored her.
(c) He asked for a divorce.
(d) She stayed the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
2. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
3. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
4. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
5. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
2. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
3. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
4. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
5. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
6. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
7. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
8. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
9. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
10. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)