|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
2. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
(a) Green plants.
(c) Living trees.
3. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
(a) He grew furious with Fujiwara's infidelity.
(b) He ignored them.
4. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
5. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
(a) Become a nun.
(b) Leave the village.
(c) Find another husband.
(d) Become a better wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
2. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
3. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
4. What river did MM cross to reach the object of her pilgrimage?
5. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
2. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
3. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
4. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
5. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
6. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
7. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
8. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
9. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
10. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)