|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
2. Of what did MM's prayer offerings consist?
(c) Her anger.
(d) Her family wealth.
3. Why did MM make so many pilgrimages to different shrines?
(a) She wanted help for her worries.
(b) She felt less alone.
(c) She was becoming more religious.
(d) She was praying for guidance.
4. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
(a) He propositioned her.
(b) He abused her.
(c) He proposed to her.
(d) He kicked her out of her house.
5. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
(a) He would grow ill.
(b) His first wife forbade it.
(c) He could not return to court.
(d) MM was hallucinating and was frightened of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river did MM cross to reach the object of her pilgrimage?
2. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
3. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
4. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
5. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
2. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
3. How did Fujiwara's illness improve his relationship with MM?
4. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
5. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
6. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
7. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
8. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
9. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
10. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)