|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
(a) He was elated by the Prince's attention.
(b) He grew angry with MM.
(c) He ignored it.
(d) He grew angry with the Prince.
2. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
(a) The tone was cold.
(b) The letters were loving.
(c) She dabbed it with her perfume.
(d) She enclosed a lock of her hair.
3. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
(a) Fujiwara wanted to know when she would return home.
(b) The Prince wished to meet her.
(c) Tokihime was threatening MM to stay away.
(d) Lady Joganden wished to tell her friend that she was moving.
4. What did MM feel for Fujiwara's first wife when she realized he was seeing them both?
5. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
(c) He grew furious with Fujiwara's infidelity.
(d) He ignored them.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
2. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
3. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
4. What was the market town MM visited on her pilgrimage?
5. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
2. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
3. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
4. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
5. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
6. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
7. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
8. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
9. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
10. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)