|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
2. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They shunned him.
(b) They made fun of Tokihime.
(c) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
(d) They gossiped.
3. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
(a) His first wife's brother.
(b) The prince.
(c) The priest.
(d) MM's father.
4. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
(c) He grew furious with Fujiwara's infidelity.
(d) He ignored them.
5. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) He ignored her.
(b) She asked for a divorce.
(c) He asked for a divorce.
(d) She stayed the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
2. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
3. What river did MM cross to reach the object of her pilgrimage?
4. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
5. What did MM feel for Fujiwara's first wife when she realized he was seeing them both?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
2. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
3. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
4. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
5. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
6. What was significant about Michitsuna repeating "See you later" after his father?
7. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
8. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
9. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
10. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)