|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
(a) Help her in childbirth.
(b) Sew baby clothes.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Cook her dinner.
2. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
(a) She understood its uniqueness.
(b) She felt empowered by it.
(c) She was constantly angry.
(d) She felt completed by it.
3. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They shunned him.
(b) They gossiped.
(c) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
(d) They made fun of Tokihime.
4. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
(a) Tea ceremony.
(b) The birth of her second child.
(d) Enthronement Rites.
5. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
(a) Praying for her.
(b) Sending her money.
(c) Visiting her.
(d) Abusing her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
2. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
3. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
4. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
5. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
2. Describe the last events of Michitsuna's social life detailed in the journal.
3. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
4. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
5. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
6. How did MM realize Fujiwara was still seeing his first wife?
7. What was significant about the date of the wedding to the director?
8. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
9. Why was MM unhappy with her pilgrimage in that large group of people?
10. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)