|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
(a) A note that encouraged him to court MM.
(b) Possession of his farms.
(d) His fortune.
2. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
(a) He propositioned her.
(b) He proposed to her.
(c) He kicked her out of her house.
(d) He abused her.
3. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
(a) Friends' homes.
(c) Diplomat's unused apartment.
4. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
5. What did MM learn about Fujiwara's affair with his first wife in the early years of their marriage that caused her the most distress?
(a) He had a child with his first wife.
(b) He was going to leave MM for his first wife.
(c) Fujiwara was telling everyone that MM was simply his mistress.
(d) His first wife was richer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
2. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
3. What was significant about Fujiwara's illicit relationship when he first married MM?
4. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
5. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
2. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
3. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
4. What precipitated MM's illness around the ten year anniversary of her marriage?
5. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
6. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
7. Describe MM's offerings to the shrines and to the prince.
8. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
9. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
10. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)