|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
(c) Care for her child.
2. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
3. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
(a) "I am leaving now."
(b) "You are no good."
(c) "I am more than you need."
(d) "See you later."
4. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
(a) He did not trust her.
(b) The Prince wanted to court MM for himself.
(c) He could see her more often.
(d) The new home was cheaper.
5. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
(a) She was an unfaithful partner.
(b) He was obeying her father's wishes.
(c) He was a weak man.
(d) She was not in love with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept MM awake one night during her pilgrimage?
2. What was the market town MM visited on her pilgrimage?
3. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
4. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
5. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
2. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
3. How did Fujiwara's affair with his first wife affect MM?
4. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
5. How did Fujiwara react to MM's severe depression?
6. After Fujiwara's illness, how did MM's feelings of dissatisfaction with her lot in life begin to manifest?
7. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
8. How did Fujiwara treat his relationship with his first wife?
9. Why did MM write to Tokihime?
10. How did MM's initial impressions of Fujiwara compare to her feelings for him after their marriage?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)