|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(b) Isolation in a new country.
(d) A religious life.
2. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
3. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
(a) He was elated by the Prince's attention.
(b) He grew angry with MM.
(c) He grew angry with the Prince.
(d) He ignored it.
4. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
(a) He was a weak man.
(b) She was an unfaithful partner.
(c) She was not in love with him.
(d) He was obeying her father's wishes.
5. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
Short Answer Questions
1. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
2. Of what did MM's prayer offerings consist?
3. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
4. What did MM feel for Fujiwara's first wife when she realized he was seeing them both?
5. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara send a courier after MM on her pilgrimage? What was her response?
2. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
3. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
4. How did Fujiwara's promotion affect MM?
5. Describe Fujiwara's courtship of MM.
6. How did Fujiwara's job affect his relationship to MM?
7. Into what was MM thrust upon her return from her pilgrimage?
8. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
9. How did MM support Fujiwara during his illness?
10. How did Fujiwara treat MM after her year of mourning?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)