|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
(a) The letters were loving.
(b) She dabbed it with her perfume.
(c) The tone was cold.
(d) She enclosed a lock of her hair.
2. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
(b) Broke his fast.
3. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
(a) "I am more than you need."
(b) "I am leaving now."
(c) "You are no good."
(d) "See you later."
4. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
(a) The new home was cheaper.
(b) He could see her more often.
(c) He did not trust her.
(d) The Prince wanted to court MM for himself.
5. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
(a) Food poisoning.
(b) A minor epidemic.
(c) Suicide attempt.
(d) Grief over her mother's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
2. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
3. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
4. For how many days was Fujiwara seriously ill?
5. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MM realize Tokihime had lost favor with Fujiwara?
2. How did MM's journey grow less enjoyable after her encounter with the courier?
3. Describe MM's pilgrimage to Hase.
4. How did Fujiwara justify his actions to MM in his letter to her?
5. How did the death of the prince benefit Fujiwara?
6. What happened when Tokihime had another child with Fujiwara?
7. How did the Prince treat MM and Fujiwara's relationship?
8. What was the significance of MM giving birth to Michitsuna so quickly after her marriage?
9. After the birth of Tokihime's child, how did Fujiwara ease his way back into MM's life?
10. Why did MM begin to make so many pilgrimages?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)