|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
(d) The prince.
2. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(b) He had bruised up his face the day before.
(c) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(d) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
3. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
(a) She was afraid she would have no one to take care of her.
(b) She was lonely without children.
(c) She wanted to punish Fujiwara.
(d) She wanted more children.
4. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
(a) He wanted to discuss something with her.
(b) He was worried about her health.
(c) He was starting to become bored with Omi.
(d) He was afraid she would never come back.
5. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
(a) Sword fighting.
6. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
(a) She was running away.
(b) Michitsuna was questioned by the police.
(c) She had guards.
(d) She was in a carriage.
7. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
(a) He believed she was turning Michitsuna against him.
(b) He was angry that her father was interfering with his life.
(c) He thought she did not tell him about her move on purpose.
(d) He was afraid she would take his money.
8. What was the station of Omi, Fujiwara's latest fixation in Book Two?
(b) Serving lady.
9. During her depression after Fujiwara's illness in Book Two, to where did MM make an enjoyable pilgrimage?
10. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) A long fast.
(b) Religious observances.
(c) A third marriage.
11. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(b) Ritual seclusion.
(d) Vow to her son.
12. What did Michitsuna threaten to do if MM committed suicide?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Leave their country.
(c) Join the military.
(d) Become a monk.
13. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
(d) Leave seclusion.
14. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The barren fields.
(b) The cold ocean.
(c) The snow.
(d) The flowerless terrain.
15. Why did MM not expect Fujiwara to visit her in her father's house?
(a) Its location.
(b) Michitsuna's anger.
(c) Her proximity to his mistress.
(d) His fear of her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through whom was MM only able to tolerate communicating with Fujiwara after adopting her daughter?
2. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
3. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
4. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
5. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)