|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
(a) He was starting to become bored with Omi.
(b) He was afraid she would never come back.
(c) He was worried about her health.
(d) He wanted to discuss something with her.
2. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The cold ocean.
(b) The snow.
(c) The flowerless terrain.
(d) The barren fields.
3. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) Her son's adolescence.
(b) Living too close to her husband.
(c) The Prince's infatuation with her.
(d) Tokihime's presence in the building.
4. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
(a) Head Chamberlain.
(b) Grand Judge.
(c) Senior Counselor.
5. What year was Tenroku?
6. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
7. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
8. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
(a) His absences.
(b) His illness.
(c) His exhaustion.
(d) His anger.
9. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
(a) She was not a good mother.
(b) She was becoming ill.
(c) She was considering becoming a nun.
(d) She was too poor to care for the child.
10. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
(a) Her pride.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her fears of the after life.
(d) Her religious duties.
11. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
(a) Head chamberlain.
(c) Grand minister.
12. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
13. Through whom was MM only able to tolerate communicating with Fujiwara after adopting her daughter?
(b) The Prince.
(c) Her daughter.
14. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
(a) The Prince.
15. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) Her devotion to her prayers.
(b) His new lover.
(c) His new job.
(d) Her illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
2. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
3. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
4. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
5. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)