|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fujiwara confronted MM about ________________during their letter exchange after she adopted his child.
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her passivity.
(c) Her talent.
(d) Her jealousy.
2. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
(c) The Prince.
3. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
4. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
(a) Michitsuna pleased the prince with his archery skills.
(b) Fujiwara was promoted to major captain.
(c) Fujiwara passed down his duties to Michitsuna.
(d) Michitsuna became engaged to a noblewoman.
5. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter to Fujiwara?
(a) She was his daughter.
(b) She was his niece.
(c) She was actually her little sister.
(d) She was Michitsuna's daughter.
6. With what holiday did Book Two begin?
(a) Doll's Festival.
(b) Showa Day.
(c) New Year.
(d) Star Festival.
7. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
(a) He wished to satisfy the lunar calendar.
(b) He was hoping to divorce her soon.
(c) He was praying for their son's health and happiness.
(d) He was hoping for forgiveness about his adultery.
8. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
(b) Sword fighting.
9. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
10. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
11. Who offered to escort MM home (though she declined)?
(a) The Prince.
(d) Captain of the guards.
12. How did Fujiwara hide his face from MM when their carriages passed?
(a) He turned away.
13. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
14. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
15. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
(a) He was afraid she would take his money.
(b) He believed she was turning Michitsuna against him.
(c) He was angry that her father was interfering with his life.
(d) He thought she did not tell him about her move on purpose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Michitsuna threaten to do if MM committed suicide?
2. Of what did Michitsuna's lady friend angrily accuse him?
3. Why did MM move into her father's house?
4. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
5. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)