|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
(a) Leave seclusion.
2. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
(a) He was hoping to divorce her soon.
(b) He was praying for their son's health and happiness.
(c) He was hoping for forgiveness about his adultery.
(d) He wished to satisfy the lunar calendar.
3. How did Fujiwara treat his son during the Grand Sumo Tournament?
(a) He praised him.
(b) He treated him like a servant.
(c) He ignored him.
(d) He pretended to care about him in order to talk about his mother.
4. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
5. Fujiwara confronted MM about ________________during their letter exchange after she adopted his child.
(a) Her talent.
(b) Her passivity.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her jealousy.
6. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) Her illness.
(b) His new lover.
(c) His new job.
(d) Her devotion to her prayers.
7. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
8. With what holiday did Book Two begin?
(a) Showa Day.
(b) New Year.
(c) Doll's Festival.
(d) Star Festival.
9. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
10. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
(a) She died of a long illness.
(b) She committed suicide.
(c) She became a nun.
(d) She ran away with her lover.
11. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
12. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
(a) The effectiveness of her absence.
(b) Her ability to meditate outside of the monastery.
(c) Her relationship with her son.
(d) Her relationship with Fujiwara.
13. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) A long fast.
(c) A third marriage.
(d) Religious observances.
14. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
(b) Head chamberlain.
(c) Grand minister.
15. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did MM not expect Fujiwara to visit her in her father's house?
2. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
3. Through whom was MM only able to tolerate communicating with Fujiwara after adopting her daughter?
4. What did MM predict to be the season of her death?
5. What year was Tenroku?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)