|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
(a) He was hoping to divorce her soon.
(b) He was hoping for forgiveness about his adultery.
(c) He was praying for their son's health and happiness.
(d) He wished to satisfy the lunar calendar.
2. Of what did Michitsuna's lady friend angrily accuse him?
(a) Using her for money.
(b) Ignoring her.
(c) Interfering with her life.
(d) Courting another woman.
3. What sort of tournament did Fujiwara discuss seeing with MM in his letter?
4. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(a) Vow to her son.
(d) Ritual seclusion.
5. How did Fujiwara hide his face from MM when their carriages passed?
(c) He turned away.
6. What was the station of Omi, Fujiwara's latest fixation in Book Two?
(a) Serving lady.
7. How did Michitsuna feel about the retreat and seclusion?
8. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The snow.
(b) The barren fields.
(c) The cold ocean.
(d) The flowerless terrain.
9. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
(a) MM did not send congratulations.
(b) MM ignored him in the street.
(c) MM refused to address him by title.
(d) MM was not present at his induction.
10. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(b) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(c) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
(d) He had bruised up his face the day before.
11. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter to Fujiwara?
(a) She was actually her little sister.
(b) She was Michitsuna's daughter.
(c) She was his niece.
(d) She was his daughter.
12. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
(b) Sword fighting.
13. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
14. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
(a) She wanted more children.
(b) She was afraid she would have no one to take care of her.
(c) She was lonely without children.
(d) She wanted to punish Fujiwara.
15. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(a) Vegetarian diet.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
2. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
3. With what or whom was MM concerned when she came home, much to Fujiwara's annoyance?
4. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
5. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)