|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
2. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(a) Vegetarian diet.
3. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
(a) Her fears of the after life.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her religious duties.
4. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
(a) He was afraid she would never come back.
(b) He was worried about her health.
(c) He wanted to discuss something with her.
(d) He was starting to become bored with Omi.
5. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
(d) The prince.
6. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
7. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(d) Growing old.
8. Fujiwara confronted MM about ________________during their letter exchange after she adopted his child.
(a) Her passivity.
(b) Her jealousy.
(c) Her talent.
(d) Her intelligence.
9. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
10. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
(a) Her relationship with her son.
(b) Her relationship with Fujiwara.
(c) Her ability to meditate outside of the monastery.
(d) The effectiveness of her absence.
11. Who offered to escort MM home (though she declined)?
(a) Captain of the guards.
(b) The Prince.
12. What was the station of Omi, Fujiwara's latest fixation in Book Two?
(c) Serving lady.
13. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
14. During her depression after Fujiwara's illness in Book Two, to where did MM make an enjoyable pilgrimage?
15. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He had bruised up his face the day before.
(b) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(c) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(d) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
2. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
3. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
4. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
5. At what festival was MM when her neighborhood caught on fire?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)