|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
(b) The prince.
2. What happened to the minister of the left?
3. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
(a) They did this as a sign of disrespect for Fujiwara.
(b) They tried to ward out evil spirits.
(c) They hoped to give the illusion of a busy household.
(d) They hoped it would heal her sickness.
4. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
5. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
(a) Grand minister.
(b) Head chamberlain.
6. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
(a) His absences.
(b) His illness.
(c) His anger.
(d) His exhaustion.
7. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(b) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
(c) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(d) He had bruised up his face the day before.
8. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
(a) He was praying for their son's health and happiness.
(b) He was hoping for forgiveness about his adultery.
(c) He wished to satisfy the lunar calendar.
(d) He was hoping to divorce her soon.
9. Who offered to escort MM home (though she declined)?
(a) The Prince.
(d) Captain of the guards.
10. With what or whom was MM concerned when she came home, much to Fujiwara's annoyance?
(c) The Prince.
11. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter to Fujiwara?
(a) She was Michitsuna's daughter.
(b) She was his niece.
(c) She was his daughter.
(d) She was actually her little sister.
12. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her ill health.
(b) Her reputation.
(c) Her fear of being alone.
(d) Her lack of money.
13. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
14. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) The Prince's infatuation with her.
(b) Her son's adolescence.
(c) Living too close to her husband.
(d) Tokihime's presence in the building.
15. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(c) Vow to her son.
(d) Ritual seclusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
2. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
3. What was Fujiwara's reaction to MM's plans for another pilgrimage with her father?
4. Why was MM unable to prepare Fujiwara's mourning clothes?
5. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)