|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of tournament did Fujiwara discuss seeing with MM in his letter?
2. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
(a) They did this as a sign of disrespect for Fujiwara.
(b) They tried to ward out evil spirits.
(c) They hoped it would heal her sickness.
(d) They hoped to give the illusion of a busy household.
3. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her pride.
(c) Her religious duties.
(d) Her fears of the after life.
4. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
5. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
(d) The Prince.
6. How did Michitsuna feel about the retreat and seclusion?
7. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
8. With what or whom was MM concerned when she came home, much to Fujiwara's annoyance?
(d) The Prince.
9. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
10. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her lack of money.
(b) Her fear of being alone.
(c) Her ill health.
(d) Her reputation.
11. Why was MM unable to prepare Fujiwara's mourning clothes?
(a) MM was too ill.
(b) The attendants in charge of that were gone.
(c) Fujiwara had gained too much weight for MM to accurately measure him.
(d) MM was on a pilgrimage.
12. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(b) Growing old.
13. How did Fujiwara hide his face from MM when their carriages passed?
(b) He turned away.
14. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
(d) Sword fighting.
15. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
(a) Senior Counselor.
(c) Head Chamberlain.
(d) Grand Judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
2. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
3. During her depression after Fujiwara's illness in Book Two, to where did MM make an enjoyable pilgrimage?
4. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
5. What was Fujiwara's reaction to MM's plans for another pilgrimage with her father?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)