|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what or whom was MM concerned when she came home, much to Fujiwara's annoyance?
(b) The Prince.
2. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
3. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
(a) He believed she was turning Michitsuna against him.
(b) He was afraid she would take his money.
(c) He thought she did not tell him about her move on purpose.
(d) He was angry that her father was interfering with his life.
4. With what holiday did Book Two begin?
(a) Doll's Festival.
(b) New Year.
(c) Showa Day.
(d) Star Festival.
5. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
(a) Her pride.
(b) Her fears of the after life.
(c) Her religious duties.
(d) Her son.
6. Why was MM unable to prepare Fujiwara's mourning clothes?
(a) The attendants in charge of that were gone.
(b) Fujiwara had gained too much weight for MM to accurately measure him.
(c) MM was too ill.
(d) MM was on a pilgrimage.
7. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
8. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
(a) Michitsuna pleased the prince with his archery skills.
(b) Fujiwara passed down his duties to Michitsuna.
(c) Michitsuna became engaged to a noblewoman.
(d) Fujiwara was promoted to major captain.
9. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
10. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
11. Fujiwara confronted MM about ________________during their letter exchange after she adopted his child.
(a) Her passivity.
(b) Her jealousy.
(c) Her talent.
(d) Her intelligence.
12. How did Fujiwara treat his son during the Grand Sumo Tournament?
(a) He treated him like a servant.
(b) He pretended to care about him in order to talk about his mother.
(c) He praised him.
(d) He ignored him.
13. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The barren fields.
(b) The snow.
(c) The flowerless terrain.
(d) The cold ocean.
14. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
15. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
(a) She was in a carriage.
(b) Michitsuna was questioned by the police.
(c) She had guards.
(d) She was running away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
2. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
3. At what festival was MM when her neighborhood caught on fire?
4. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
5. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)