|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
(a) She died of a long illness.
(b) She ran away with her lover.
(c) She became a nun.
(d) She committed suicide.
2. Fujiwara confronted MM about ________________during their letter exchange after she adopted his child.
(a) Her jealousy.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her passivity.
(d) Her talent.
3. During her depression after Fujiwara's illness in Book Two, to where did MM make an enjoyable pilgrimage?
4. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) A long fast.
(b) A third marriage.
(d) Religious observances.
5. Who offered to escort MM home (though she declined)?
(b) The Prince.
(d) Captain of the guards.
6. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
7. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(b) Ritual seclusion.
(d) Vow to her son.
8. Why was MM unable to prepare Fujiwara's mourning clothes?
(a) Fujiwara had gained too much weight for MM to accurately measure him.
(b) MM was too ill.
(c) MM was on a pilgrimage.
(d) The attendants in charge of that were gone.
9. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
10. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
(a) Grand Judge.
(c) Senior Counselor.
(d) Head Chamberlain.
11. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) The Prince's infatuation with her.
(b) Living too close to her husband.
(c) Her son's adolescence.
(d) Tokihime's presence in the building.
12. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
13. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
14. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
15. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
(a) He believed she was turning Michitsuna against him.
(b) He thought she did not tell him about her move on purpose.
(c) He was afraid she would take his money.
(d) He was angry that her father was interfering with his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
2. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
3. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
4. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
5. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)