|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
(a) Fujiwara passed down his duties to Michitsuna.
(b) Fujiwara was promoted to major captain.
(c) Michitsuna became engaged to a noblewoman.
(d) Michitsuna pleased the prince with his archery skills.
2. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
(a) They hoped it would heal her sickness.
(b) They did this as a sign of disrespect for Fujiwara.
(c) They hoped to give the illusion of a busy household.
(d) They tried to ward out evil spirits.
3. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
4. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(a) Vegetarian diet.
5. What did MM predict to be the season of her death?
6. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
7. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) Living too close to her husband.
(b) Tokihime's presence in the building.
(c) The Prince's infatuation with her.
(d) Her son's adolescence.
8. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
9. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) A third marriage.
(b) Religious observances.
(c) A long fast.
10. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her ill health.
(b) Her lack of money.
(c) Her fear of being alone.
(d) Her reputation.
11. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
12. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
(a) Leave seclusion.
13. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
(a) Her ability to meditate outside of the monastery.
(b) The effectiveness of her absence.
(c) Her relationship with Fujiwara.
(d) Her relationship with her son.
14. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
(a) His exhaustion.
(b) His anger.
(c) His illness.
(d) His absences.
15. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
(a) Abandoning her.
(b) Angering her family.
(c) Leaving his job.
(d) Mistreating their son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
2. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
3. With what holiday did Book Two begin?
4. Who offered to escort MM home (though she declined)?
5. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)