|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
2. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her fear of being alone.
(b) Her ill health.
(c) Her lack of money.
(d) Her reputation.
3. How did Fujiwara hide his face from MM when their carriages passed?
(b) He turned away.
4. What did MM predict to be the season of her death?
5. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) Living too close to her husband.
(b) The Prince's infatuation with her.
(c) Tokihime's presence in the building.
(d) Her son's adolescence.
6. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The cold ocean.
(b) The snow.
(c) The flowerless terrain.
(d) The barren fields.
7. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(a) Growing old.
8. What year was Tenroku?
9. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
10. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
(a) The Prince.
11. In what season did the archery contest take place after MM's long illness?
12. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
13. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
(a) They hoped to give the illusion of a busy household.
(b) They tried to ward out evil spirits.
(c) They did this as a sign of disrespect for Fujiwara.
(d) They hoped it would heal her sickness.
14. During her depression after Fujiwara's illness in Book Two, to where did MM make an enjoyable pilgrimage?
15. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
2. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
3. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
4. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
5. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)