|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) Her devotion to her prayers.
(b) Her illness.
(c) His new lover.
(d) His new job.
2. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The barren fields.
(b) The cold ocean.
(c) The flowerless terrain.
(d) The snow.
3. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
4. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
(d) Leave seclusion.
5. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
6. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He had bruised up his face the day before.
(b) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(c) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(d) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
7. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
8. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
(a) He wanted him to know of MM's illness.
(b) He wanted to hire him for his new business.
(c) He wanted to help his father find the rest of his children.
(d) He wanted to fight him.
9. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
(a) Angering her family.
(b) Abandoning her.
(c) Mistreating their son.
(d) Leaving his job.
10. At what festival was MM when her neighborhood caught on fire?
11. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
(a) The Prince.
12. How did Fujiwara treat his son during the Grand Sumo Tournament?
(a) He ignored him.
(b) He treated him like a servant.
(c) He pretended to care about him in order to talk about his mother.
(d) He praised him.
13. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
(a) Sword fighting.
14. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) Religious observances.
(c) A long fast.
(d) A third marriage.
15. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
(a) The Prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
2. Why did MM move into her father's house?
3. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
4. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
5. Why was MM unable to prepare Fujiwara's mourning clothes?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)