|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the station of Omi, Fujiwara's latest fixation in Book Two?
(a) Serving lady.
2. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
(a) Michitsuna became engaged to a noblewoman.
(b) Fujiwara was promoted to major captain.
(c) Fujiwara passed down his duties to Michitsuna.
(d) Michitsuna pleased the prince with his archery skills.
3. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
4. What did Michitsuna threaten to do if MM committed suicide?
(a) Join the military.
(b) Become a monk.
(c) Leave their country.
(d) Commit suicide.
5. Through whom was MM only able to tolerate communicating with Fujiwara after adopting her daughter?
(a) Her daughter.
(c) The Prince.
6. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
7. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
8. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(b) Religious observances.
(c) A long fast.
(d) A third marriage.
9. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
(a) Grand minister.
(c) Head chamberlain.
10. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
11. Why was MM unable to prepare Fujiwara's mourning clothes?
(a) Fujiwara had gained too much weight for MM to accurately measure him.
(b) The attendants in charge of that were gone.
(c) MM was on a pilgrimage.
(d) MM was too ill.
12. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
13. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(b) Ritual seclusion.
(d) Vow to her son.
14. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) Tokihime's presence in the building.
(b) Her son's adolescence.
(c) Living too close to her husband.
(d) The Prince's infatuation with her.
15. What was Fujiwara's reaction to MM's plans for another pilgrimage with her father?
(c) Violently angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
2. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
3. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
4. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
5. In what season did the archery contest take place after MM's long illness?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)