|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
2. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
(a) She was running away.
(b) She was in a carriage.
(c) She had guards.
(d) Michitsuna was questioned by the police.
3. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
(a) She was considering becoming a nun.
(b) She was too poor to care for the child.
(c) She was not a good mother.
(d) She was becoming ill.
4. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
5. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
(a) His illness.
(b) His exhaustion.
(c) His anger.
(d) His absences.
6. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
(a) Living too close to her husband.
(b) Her son's adolescence.
(c) Tokihime's presence in the building.
(d) The Prince's infatuation with her.
7. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
(a) They tried to ward out evil spirits.
(b) They did this as a sign of disrespect for Fujiwara.
(c) They hoped it would heal her sickness.
(d) They hoped to give the illusion of a busy household.
8. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
9. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
(a) MM refused to address him by title.
(b) MM was not present at his induction.
(c) MM did not send congratulations.
(d) MM ignored him in the street.
10. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
11. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
(a) Her relationship with her son.
(b) The effectiveness of her absence.
(c) Her ability to meditate outside of the monastery.
(d) Her relationship with Fujiwara.
12. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
(d) Leave seclusion.
13. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
14. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
(c) The Prince.
15. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
(d) Sword fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
2. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
3. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
4. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
5. With what holiday did Book Two begin?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)