|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
(a) MM's temper.
(b) MM's work.
(c) MM's illness.
(d) MM's depression.
2. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(b) Ritual seclusion.
(c) Vow to her son.
3. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
4. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
5. What did Michitsuna threaten to do if MM committed suicide?
(a) Leave their country.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Become a monk.
6. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter to Fujiwara?
(a) She was his daughter.
(b) She was actually her little sister.
(c) She was Michitsuna's daughter.
(d) She was his niece.
7. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
(b) Head Chamberlain.
(c) Grand Judge.
(d) Senior Counselor.
8. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
9. With what or whom was MM concerned when she came home, much to Fujiwara's annoyance?
(d) The Prince.
10. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
(a) He wanted to fight him.
(b) He wanted to help his father find the rest of his children.
(c) He wanted to hire him for his new business.
(d) He wanted him to know of MM's illness.
11. How did Michitsuna feel about the retreat and seclusion?
12. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her fear of being alone.
(b) Her ill health.
(c) Her lack of money.
(d) Her reputation.
13. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
(a) She died of a long illness.
(b) She ran away with her lover.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She became a nun.
14. What year was Tenroku?
15. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(a) Growing old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
2. What sort of tournament did Fujiwara discuss seeing with MM in his letter?
3. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
4. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
5. Why did MM not expect Fujiwara to visit her in her father's house?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)