|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her depression after Fujiwara's illness in Book Two, to where did MM make an enjoyable pilgrimage?
2. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(a) Ritual seclusion.
(c) Vow to her son.
3. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
4. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
5. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
6. What did MM predict to be the season of her death?
7. What happened to the minister of the left?
8. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) His new job.
(b) Her illness.
(c) Her devotion to her prayers.
(d) His new lover.
9. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
10. What did Michitsuna threaten to do if MM committed suicide?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Leave their country.
(d) Become a monk.
11. In what season did the archery contest take place after MM's long illness?
12. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
13. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
(c) The prince.
14. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
(a) She ran away with her lover.
(b) She died of a long illness.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She became a nun.
15. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
(a) MM ignored him in the street.
(b) MM was not present at his induction.
(c) MM refused to address him by title.
(d) MM did not send congratulations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
2. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
3. What sort of tournament did Fujiwara discuss seeing with MM in his letter?
4. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
5. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)