|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what festival was MM when her neighborhood caught on fire?
2. Who became notably absent from MM's life after she moved in with her father?
(b) Her daughter.
(c) The Prince.
3. Why did MM not expect Fujiwara to visit her in her father's house?
(a) Her proximity to his mistress.
(b) Its location.
(c) Michitsuna's anger.
(d) His fear of her father.
4. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
5. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
(a) Michitsuna became engaged to a noblewoman.
(b) Michitsuna pleased the prince with his archery skills.
(c) Fujiwara passed down his duties to Michitsuna.
(d) Fujiwara was promoted to major captain.
6. What year was Tenroku?
7. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
(d) Leave seclusion.
8. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
9. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
10. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
(a) She was too poor to care for the child.
(b) She was considering becoming a nun.
(c) She was not a good mother.
(d) She was becoming ill.
11. What was Fujiwara's reaction to MM's plans for another pilgrimage with her father?
(b) Violently angry.
12. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her reputation.
(b) Her lack of money.
(c) Her fear of being alone.
(d) Her ill health.
13. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
14. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
(d) Vegetarian diet.
15. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
(a) She died of a long illness.
(b) She ran away with her lover.
(c) She became a nun.
(d) She committed suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
2. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
3. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
4. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
5. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)