|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Fujiwara's reaction to MM's plans for another pilgrimage with her father?
(d) Violently angry.
2. Who offered to escort MM home (though she declined)?
(b) The Prince.
(d) Captain of the guards.
3. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
4. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
(a) MM's illness.
(b) MM's depression.
(c) MM's temper.
(d) MM's work.
5. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
(a) They hoped to give the illusion of a busy household.
(b) They hoped it would heal her sickness.
(c) They tried to ward out evil spirits.
(d) They did this as a sign of disrespect for Fujiwara.
6. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
7. How did Fujiwara treat his son during the Grand Sumo Tournament?
(a) He pretended to care about him in order to talk about his mother.
(b) He ignored him.
(c) He treated him like a servant.
(d) He praised him.
8. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her fear of being alone.
(b) Her lack of money.
(c) Her reputation.
(d) Her ill health.
9. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
(a) He was praying for their son's health and happiness.
(b) He wished to satisfy the lunar calendar.
(c) He was hoping to divorce her soon.
(d) He was hoping for forgiveness about his adultery.
10. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
11. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
12. What happened to the minister of the left?
13. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
14. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
15. What reminded MM most of Fujiwara's coldness towards her?
(a) The flowerless terrain.
(b) The cold ocean.
(c) The barren fields.
(d) The snow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
2. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
3. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
4. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
5. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)