|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
(a) He was angry that her father was interfering with his life.
(b) He believed she was turning Michitsuna against him.
(c) He thought she did not tell him about her move on purpose.
(d) He was afraid she would take his money.
2. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
(c) The Prince.
3. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) A third marriage.
(b) Religious observances.
(c) A long fast.
4. What notable holiday passed in Fujiwara's absence when he became involved with Omi?
(a) New Year.
(c) Doll's Festival.
(d) Star Festival.
5. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
6. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(c) Growing old.
7. How did Michitsuna feel about the retreat and seclusion?
8. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
9. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
10. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
11. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
12. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
(b) The prince.
13. How did Fujiwara hide his face from MM when their carriages passed?
(d) He turned away.
14. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
15. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her lack of money.
(b) Her fear of being alone.
(c) Her reputation.
(d) Her ill health.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
2. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
3. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
4. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
5. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)