|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what did Michitsuna's lady friend angrily accuse him?
(a) Using her for money.
(b) Interfering with her life.
(c) Courting another woman.
(d) Ignoring her.
2. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
(c) Vow to her son.
(d) Ritual seclusion.
3. What did MM predict to be the season of her death?
4. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
5. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
(a) She was becoming ill.
(b) She was too poor to care for the child.
(c) She was considering becoming a nun.
(d) She was not a good mother.
6. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
7. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
(a) He was worried about her health.
(b) He was afraid she would never come back.
(c) He wanted to discuss something with her.
(d) He was starting to become bored with Omi.
8. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) His new lover.
(b) Her devotion to her prayers.
(c) Her illness.
(d) His new job.
9. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
(a) She ran away with her lover.
(b) She died of a long illness.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She became a nun.
10. What did Michitsuna threaten to do if MM committed suicide?
(a) Leave their country.
(b) Become a monk.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Join the military.
11. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
(a) Grand Judge.
(b) Senior Counselor.
(d) Head Chamberlain.
12. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(d) Growing old.
13. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
14. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her fears of the after life.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her religious duties.
15. Why did MM not expect Fujiwara to visit her in her father's house?
(a) Michitsuna's anger.
(b) His fear of her father.
(c) Its location.
(d) Her proximity to his mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
2. What year was Tenroku?
3. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
4. Who became notably absent from MM's life after she moved in with her father?
5. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)