|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
(a) MM refused to address him by title.
(b) MM did not send congratulations.
(c) MM was not present at his induction.
(d) MM ignored him in the street.
2. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
(a) He wanted to fight him.
(b) He wanted him to know of MM's illness.
(c) He wanted to hire him for his new business.
(d) He wanted to help his father find the rest of his children.
3. Why did Kanetada's wife give her daughter up for adoption to MM?
(a) She was becoming ill.
(b) She was not a good mother.
(c) She was considering becoming a nun.
(d) She was too poor to care for the child.
4. What year was Tenroku?
5. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
(d) Growing old.
6. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
(a) He was worried about her health.
(b) He was starting to become bored with Omi.
(c) He wanted to discuss something with her.
(d) He was afraid she would never come back.
7. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
(a) She was afraid she would have no one to take care of her.
(b) She wanted to punish Fujiwara.
(c) She wanted more children.
(d) She was lonely without children.
8. In what season did the archery contest take place after MM's long illness?
9. Of what did Michitsuna's lady friend angrily accuse him?
(a) Interfering with her life.
(b) Courting another woman.
(c) Using her for money.
(d) Ignoring her.
10. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
11. With what holiday did Book Two begin?
(a) Showa Day.
(b) Doll's Festival.
(c) Star Festival.
(d) New Year.
12. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
13. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
(a) He did not want her to see how he aged.
(b) He was trying to avoid seeing her.
(c) He was ashamed of his behavior.
(d) He had bruised up his face the day before.
14. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
(a) Her illness.
(b) His new lover.
(c) His new job.
(d) Her devotion to her prayers.
15. What sort of tournament did Fujiwara discuss seeing with MM in his letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
2. What was Fujiwara's reaction to MM's plans for another pilgrimage with her father?
3. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
4. What was the station of Omi, Fujiwara's latest fixation in Book Two?
5. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)