|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Michitsuna feel about the retreat and seclusion?
2. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
3. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
4. What did Michitsuna threaten to do if MM committed suicide?
(a) Leave their country.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Become a monk.
5. Why did MM move into her father's house?
(a) Her reputation.
(b) Her fear of being alone.
(c) Her ill health.
(d) Her lack of money.
6. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
(a) He wanted him to know of MM's illness.
(b) He wanted to fight him.
(c) He wanted to help his father find the rest of his children.
(d) He wanted to hire him for his new business.
7. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
(a) His exhaustion.
(b) His illness.
(c) His anger.
(d) His absences.
8. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
(a) MM did not send congratulations.
(b) MM was not present at his induction.
(c) MM refused to address him by title.
(d) MM ignored him in the street.
9. What happened to the minister of the left?
10. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
(b) The Prince.
11. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
12. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
(a) Religious observances.
(b) A long fast.
(d) A third marriage.
13. MM's son was very proficient in both archery and _____.
(c) Sword fighting.
14. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
15. Through whom was MM only able to tolerate communicating with Fujiwara after adopting her daughter?
(b) Her daughter.
(d) The Prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
2. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
3. What notable holiday passed in Fujiwara's absence when he became involved with Omi?
4. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
5. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter to Fujiwara?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)