|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
(a) She understood its uniqueness.
(b) She felt completed by it.
(c) She was constantly angry.
(d) She felt empowered by it.
2. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
3. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
(a) Suicide attempt.
(b) Grief over her mother's death.
(c) A minor epidemic.
(d) Food poisoning.
4. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
(b) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(c) She felt she complained too much.
(d) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
5. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
(a) Fujiwara wanted to know when she would return home.
(b) The Prince wished to meet her.
(c) Tokihime was threatening MM to stay away.
(d) Lady Joganden wished to tell her friend that she was moving.
6. What was the name of Fujiwara's first wife?
7. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
(a) Abusing her brother.
(b) Visiting her.
(c) Praying for her.
(d) Sending her money.
8. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
9. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
(a) Become a better wife.
(b) Become a nun.
(c) Find another husband.
(d) Leave the village.
10. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
(b) They made fun of Tokihime.
(c) They gossiped.
(d) They shunned him.
11. In this book, for what does MM stand?
(a) Moritoku's Mother.
(b) Miniyaka's Mother.
(c) Michitsuna's Mother.
(d) Mary's Mother.
12. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her father.
13. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandmother.
14. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
(a) The birth of her second child.
(c) Tea ceremony.
(d) Enthronement Rites.
15. How old was MM when Fujiwara begins to court her?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
2. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
3. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
4. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
5. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)