|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many days was Fujiwara seriously ill?
2. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
(a) A note to another woman.
(b) A drawing of a nude woman.
(c) A flower.
(d) A book of verse.
3. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
(a) Broke his fast.
4. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
(a) Lady Joganden wished to tell her friend that she was moving.
(b) Tokihime was threatening MM to stay away.
(c) The Prince wished to meet her.
(d) Fujiwara wanted to know when she would return home.
5. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
6. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(a) A religious life.
(c) Isolation in a new country.
7. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
8. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
(b) Tea ceremony.
(c) Enthronement Rites.
(d) The birth of her second child.
9. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
10. What did MM learn about Fujiwara's affair with his first wife in the early years of their marriage that caused her the most distress?
(a) He was going to leave MM for his first wife.
(b) He had a child with his first wife.
(c) His first wife was richer.
(d) Fujiwara was telling everyone that MM was simply his mistress.
11. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
(a) She understood its uniqueness.
(b) She felt completed by it.
(c) She felt empowered by it.
(d) She was constantly angry.
12. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
(b) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(c) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(d) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
13. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
(a) Care for her child.
14. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
(a) Friends' homes.
(b) Diplomat's unused apartment.
15. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
(a) Her aunt's death.
(b) Her sister's departure.
(c) Her husband's abuse.
(d) Her son's anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
2. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
3. In this book, for what does MM stand?
4. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
5. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)