|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The South Prince.
(b) The North Prince.
(c) The West Prince.
(d) The East Prince.
2. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
(a) MM's father.
(b) The priest.
(c) The prince.
(d) His first wife's brother.
3. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
4. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
5. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
(a) Head chamberlain.
(b) Head secretary.
(d) Head cook.
6. For what did Fujiwara instruct MM to prepare when she returned from her pilgrimage?
(b) Purification Ceremony.
7. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
8. From whom did the courier in the market town bear a message?
(b) Lady Joganden.
(d) The Prince.
9. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(b) Isolation in a new country.
(c) A religious life.
10. After MM refuses to perform an insulting favor for Fujiwara and his first wife, how long does he shun her?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) Three years.
(d) Several months.
11. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
12. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her son.
13. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
(b) The people.
14. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
15. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
(b) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(c) She felt she complained too much.
(d) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
2. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
3. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
4. What was the name of Fujiwara's first wife?
5. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)