|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
2. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(a) Isolation in a new country.
(b) A religious life.
3. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(b) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
(c) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
(d) She felt she complained too much.
4. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
(a) Her son's anger.
(b) Her husband's abuse.
(c) Her sister's departure.
(d) Her aunt's death.
5. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
(a) Head chamberlain.
(b) Head secretary.
(c) Head cook.
6. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) Fujiwara had become ill.
(b) She was trying to win him back as well.
(c) His first wife had other lovers.
(d) Fujiwara was out of the village.
7. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) His first wife.
(b) His son.
(c) His assistant.
(d) The Prince.
8. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
(a) He ignored it.
(b) He grew angry with the Prince.
(c) He was elated by the Prince's attention.
(d) He grew angry with MM.
9. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The East Prince.
(b) The North Prince.
(c) The West Prince.
(d) The South Prince.
10. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
(a) Sew baby clothes.
(b) Cook her dinner.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Help her in childbirth.
11. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They shunned him.
(b) They made fun of Tokihime.
(c) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
(d) They gossiped.
12. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He did not want MM to see his decline.
(b) He did not want to get his son sick.
(c) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
(d) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
13. What did MM feel for Fujiwara's first wife when she realized he was seeing them both?
14. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
15. How many goose eggs did MM send to the young prince?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
2. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
3. From whom did the courier in the market town bear a message?
4. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
5. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)