|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
(a) Sending her money.
(b) Visiting her.
(c) Abusing her brother.
(d) Praying for her.
2. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
3. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(a) Isolation in a new country.
(c) A religious life.
4. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
(a) The children.
(c) Fishing boats.
(d) The priests in ceremony.
5. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
(b) Possession of his farms.
(c) A note that encouraged him to court MM.
(d) His fortune.
6. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
(a) A note to another woman.
(b) A flower.
(c) A drawing of a nude woman.
(d) A book of verse.
7. For what did Fujiwara instruct MM to prepare when she returned from her pilgrimage?
(a) Purification Ceremony.
8. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
(a) The letters were loving.
(b) She enclosed a lock of her hair.
(c) The tone was cold.
(d) She dabbed it with her perfume.
9. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) She was trying to win him back as well.
(b) His first wife had other lovers.
(c) Fujiwara was out of the village.
(d) Fujiwara had become ill.
10. In this book, for what does MM stand?
(a) Moritoku's Mother.
(b) Mary's Mother.
(c) Miniyaka's Mother.
(d) Michitsuna's Mother.
11. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
(b) The people.
12. What was the name of Fujiwara's first wife?
13. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
(a) He propositioned her.
(b) He kicked her out of her house.
(c) He abused her.
(d) He proposed to her.
14. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
(a) He could see her more often.
(b) He did not trust her.
(c) The Prince wanted to court MM for himself.
(d) The new home was cheaper.
15. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
(b) Green plants.
(d) Living trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
2. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
3. Where is MM when Fujiwara first attempted to visit her?
4. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
5. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)