|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
(c) The people.
2. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
(a) She wanted her to only bear daughters to Fujiwara.
(b) She wanted her to beg for forgiveness.
(c) She wanted her to suffer.
(d) She wanted her to run away with Fujiwara.
3. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
4. In Uji, MM especially enjoyed the waters and _____.
5. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
(a) Diplomat's unused apartment.
(b) Friends' homes.
6. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
(a) Her aunt's death.
(b) Her husband's abuse.
(c) Her son's anger.
(d) Her sister's departure.
7. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
(a) "I am leaving now."
(b) "You are no good."
(c) "See you later."
(d) "I am more than you need."
8. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She was still not his favored wife.
(b) She had neglected her religious duties.
(c) She was no longer an artist.
(d) She only had one child.
9. Who stayed in the same apartment building as MM by the palace?
(a) MM's father.
(b) The Prince.
(d) Lady Joganden.
10. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
11. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) She asked for a divorce.
(b) She stayed the night.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) He asked for a divorce.
12. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He did not want to get his son sick.
(b) He did not want MM to see his decline.
(c) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(d) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
13. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
(a) He was a weak man.
(b) He was obeying her father's wishes.
(c) She was not in love with him.
(d) She was an unfaithful partner.
14. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) His son.
(b) His assistant.
(c) His first wife.
(d) The Prince.
15. Where is MM when Fujiwara first attempted to visit her?
(d) Her grandmother's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
2. Who was in the box next to MM and Fujiwara at the Gosechi Festival?
3. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
4. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
5. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)