|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) He asked for a divorce.
(b) She stayed the night.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) She asked for a divorce.
2. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
(b) He grew furious with Fujiwara's infidelity.
(c) He ignored them.
3. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
4. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
(a) The children.
(b) The priests in ceremony.
(d) Fishing boats.
5. For what did Fujiwara instruct MM to prepare when she returned from her pilgrimage?
(d) Purification Ceremony.
6. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
(a) His health.
(b) His promotion.
(c) His son.
(d) His status as an adulterer.
7. Who kept MM awake one night during her pilgrimage?
(a) A priest.
(b) A blind man.
(c) A poet.
(d) The Prince.
8. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
9. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
(a) He arranged and paid for the funeral.
(b) He took her on a vacation.
(c) He allowed their son to attend the funeral.
(d) He left his first wife for her.
10. Where is MM when Fujiwara first attempted to visit her?
(a) Her grandmother's house.
11. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
(b) The birth of her second child.
(c) Tea ceremony.
(d) Enthronement Rites.
12. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
(a) The new home was cheaper.
(b) He could see her more often.
(c) He did not trust her.
(d) The Prince wanted to court MM for himself.
13. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He did not want MM to see his decline.
(b) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
(c) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(d) He did not want to get his son sick.
14. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
(a) Head secretary.
(b) Head cook.
(d) Head chamberlain.
15. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
(a) She dressed herself in peasant clothing.
(b) She did not stay in a hotel.
(c) She brought very few attendants.
(d) She avoided to the shrine during its more populated hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many goose eggs did MM send to the young prince?
2. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
3. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
4. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
5. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)