|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
(c) He grew furious with Fujiwara's infidelity.
(d) He ignored them.
2. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
3. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
(a) "You are no good."
(b) "See you later."
(c) "I am leaving now."
(d) "I am more than you need."
4. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
(a) She was pregnant again.
(b) She had gotten sick.
(c) She had kicked him out.
(d) She had lost favor with him.
5. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
(a) Her marriage was over.
(b) She was to become a servant.
(c) Her marriage was never legitimate.
(d) Her child would be taken away from her.
6. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
(a) The tone was cold.
(b) The letters were loving.
(c) She dabbed it with her perfume.
(d) She enclosed a lock of her hair.
7. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
8. How old was MM when Fujiwara begins to court her?
9. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(c) Isolation in a new country.
(d) A religious life.
10. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
(a) Her anger.
(b) Her nursing skills.
(c) Her indifference.
(d) Her crying spells.
11. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
(b) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(c) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(d) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
12. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
(b) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
(c) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(d) She felt she complained too much.
13. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
(a) Pray for her.
(b) Cook her dinner.
(c) Help her in childbirth.
(d) Sew baby clothes.
14. According to her reply through the courier, where was MM heading after her stay in the market town?
(d) The biggest city she could find.
15. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
(d) The people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
2. What river did MM cross to reach the object of her pilgrimage?
3. What did MM learn about Fujiwara's affair with his first wife in the early years of their marriage that caused her the most distress?
4. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
5. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)