|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
(b) Friends' homes.
(d) Diplomat's unused apartment.
2. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
(a) His first wife forbade it.
(b) He could not return to court.
(c) MM was hallucinating and was frightened of him.
(d) He would grow ill.
3. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) Fujiwara was out of the village.
(b) His first wife had other lovers.
(c) Fujiwara had become ill.
(d) She was trying to win him back as well.
4. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
(a) The Prince wished to meet her.
(b) Fujiwara wanted to know when she would return home.
(c) Lady Joganden wished to tell her friend that she was moving.
(d) Tokihime was threatening MM to stay away.
5. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
(b) Broke his fast.
6. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(c) Isolation in a new country.
(d) A religious life.
7. In this book, for what does MM stand?
(a) Miniyaka's Mother.
(b) Mary's Mother.
(c) Michitsuna's Mother.
(d) Moritoku's Mother.
8. How many goose eggs did MM send to the young prince?
9. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
10. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
(b) The priests in ceremony.
(c) The children.
(d) Fishing boats.
11. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
(a) He was a weak man.
(b) She was an unfaithful partner.
(c) He was obeying her father's wishes.
(d) She was not in love with him.
12. In Uji, MM especially enjoyed the waters and _____.
13. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) She asked for a divorce.
(b) She stayed the night.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) He asked for a divorce.
14. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
15. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
2. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
3. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
4. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
5. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)