|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
2. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
(a) She was to become a servant.
(b) Her marriage was over.
(c) Her child would be taken away from her.
(d) Her marriage was never legitimate.
3. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
4. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
5. After MM refuses to perform an insulting favor for Fujiwara and his first wife, how long does he shun her?
(a) Several months.
(b) A week.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two weeks.
6. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
(a) Become a nun.
(b) Find another husband.
(c) Leave the village.
(d) Become a better wife.
7. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
(a) She cried.
(b) She became sick.
(c) She grew happy.
(d) She grew angry.
8. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
9. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
10. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
(a) He could see her more often.
(b) The Prince wanted to court MM for himself.
(c) He did not trust her.
(d) The new home was cheaper.
11. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
12. Why did MM make so many pilgrimages to different shrines?
(a) She wanted help for her worries.
(b) She felt less alone.
(c) She was becoming more religious.
(d) She was praying for guidance.
13. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) His first wife had other lovers.
(b) Fujiwara had become ill.
(c) She was trying to win him back as well.
(d) Fujiwara was out of the village.
14. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
(a) She was told by the village midwife.
(b) His other wife approached her.
(c) She followed him.
(d) She had him followed.
15. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
(a) His status as an adulterer.
(b) His son.
(c) His health.
(d) His promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
2. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
3. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
4. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
5. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)