|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) His son.
(b) His first wife.
(c) The Prince.
(d) His assistant.
2. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
(b) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(c) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(d) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
3. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
4. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) Fujiwara had become ill.
(b) His first wife had other lovers.
(c) Fujiwara was out of the village.
(d) She was trying to win him back as well.
5. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
6. From whom did the courier in the market town bear a message?
(c) Lady Joganden.
(d) The Prince.
7. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
(a) He ignored them.
(b) He grew furious with Fujiwara's infidelity.
8. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He did not want to get his son sick.
(b) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
(c) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(d) He did not want MM to see his decline.
9. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
(a) She felt empowered by it.
(b) She was constantly angry.
(c) She felt completed by it.
(d) She understood its uniqueness.
10. How old was MM when Fujiwara begins to court her?
11. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She was no longer an artist.
(b) She had neglected her religious duties.
(c) She was still not his favored wife.
(d) She only had one child.
12. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
(a) A drawing of a nude woman.
(b) A note to another woman.
(c) A flower.
(d) A book of verse.
13. What did MM learn about Fujiwara's affair with his first wife in the early years of their marriage that caused her the most distress?
(a) Fujiwara was telling everyone that MM was simply his mistress.
(b) His first wife was richer.
(c) He was going to leave MM for his first wife.
(d) He had a child with his first wife.
14. What was significant about Fujiwara's illicit relationship when he first married MM?
(a) He was incredibly indiscreet.
(b) He was quite secretive.
(c) His marriage was null and void.
(d) It resulted in a baby.
15. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
(a) Visiting her.
(b) Praying for her.
(c) Abusing her brother.
(d) Sending her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
2. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
3. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
4. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
5. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)