|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
2. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
(a) She understood its uniqueness.
(b) She felt empowered by it.
(c) She was constantly angry.
(d) She felt completed by it.
3. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
4. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
(a) He no longer loved her.
(b) He was too busy.
(c) She was not worthy of his attention.
(d) He did not particularly care about her feelings.
5. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt she complained too much.
(b) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
(c) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(d) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
6. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
(a) Her marriage was never legitimate.
(b) Her child would be taken away from her.
(c) She was to become a servant.
(d) Her marriage was over.
7. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
(a) Friends' homes.
(d) Diplomat's unused apartment.
8. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
9. After MM refuses to perform an insulting favor for Fujiwara and his first wife, how long does he shun her?
(a) Three years.
(b) Several months.
(c) A week.
(d) Two weeks.
10. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
(a) Head chamberlain.
(b) Head cook.
(d) Head secretary.
11. Who kept MM awake one night during her pilgrimage?
(a) A blind man.
(b) A priest.
(c) The Prince.
(d) A poet.
12. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
(a) He would grow ill.
(b) MM was hallucinating and was frightened of him.
(c) His first wife forbade it.
(d) He could not return to court.
13. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They made fun of Tokihime.
(b) They shunned him.
(c) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
(d) They gossiped.
14. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) He ignored her.
(b) He asked for a divorce.
(c) She asked for a divorce.
(d) She stayed the night.
15. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
2. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
3. Who stayed in the same apartment building as MM by the palace?
4. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
5. Of what did MM's prayer offerings consist?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)