|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kept MM awake one night during her pilgrimage?
(a) A priest.
(b) A blind man.
(c) A poet.
(d) The Prince.
2. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
(a) She had lost favor with him.
(b) She had gotten sick.
(c) She had kicked him out.
(d) She was pregnant again.
3. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
4. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) Fujiwara had become ill.
(b) She was trying to win him back as well.
(c) His first wife had other lovers.
(d) Fujiwara was out of the village.
5. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
(b) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(c) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(d) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
6. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
7. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The East Prince.
(b) The South Prince.
(c) The West Prince.
(d) The North Prince.
8. Why did MM make so many pilgrimages to different shrines?
(a) She was praying for guidance.
(b) She was becoming more religious.
(c) She felt less alone.
(d) She wanted help for her worries.
9. In Uji, MM especially enjoyed the waters and _____.
10. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
(a) The children.
(b) The priests in ceremony.
(c) Fishing boats.
11. How did MM feel about her marriage after ten years?
(a) She was constantly angry.
(b) She felt empowered by it.
(c) She felt completed by it.
(d) She understood its uniqueness.
12. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
(a) Suicide attempt.
(b) Grief over her mother's death.
(c) A minor epidemic.
(d) Food poisoning.
13. After MM refuses to perform an insulting favor for Fujiwara and his first wife, how long does he shun her?
(a) A week.
(b) Several months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three years.
14. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
(b) He ignored them.
(d) He grew furious with Fujiwara's infidelity.
15. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
(a) The tone was cold.
(b) She dabbed it with her perfume.
(c) She enclosed a lock of her hair.
(d) The letters were loving.
Short Answer Questions
1. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
2. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
3. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
4. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
5. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)