|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
2. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The South Prince.
(b) The East Prince.
(c) The West Prince.
(d) The North Prince.
3. For what did Fujiwara instruct MM to prepare when she returned from her pilgrimage?
(d) Purification Ceremony.
4. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
5. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) He ignored her.
(b) He asked for a divorce.
(c) She asked for a divorce.
(d) She stayed the night.
6. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
7. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
(a) She was to become a servant.
(b) Her marriage was never legitimate.
(c) Her marriage was over.
(d) Her child would be taken away from her.
8. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
(b) The children.
(c) The priests in ceremony.
(d) Fishing boats.
9. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
(a) Her son's anger.
(b) Her husband's abuse.
(c) Her aunt's death.
(d) Her sister's departure.
10. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
11. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
(a) Living trees.
(c) Green plants.
12. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
(b) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
(c) She felt she complained too much.
(d) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
13. What river did MM cross to reach the object of her pilgrimage?
14. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
(b) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(c) He did not want MM to see his decline.
(d) He did not want to get his son sick.
15. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept MM awake one night during her pilgrimage?
2. What was the name of Fujiwara's first wife?
3. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
4. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
5. Why did MM make so many pilgrimages to different shrines?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)