|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(b) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
(c) He did not want to get his son sick.
(d) He did not want MM to see his decline.
2. After MM refuses to perform an insulting favor for Fujiwara and his first wife, how long does he shun her?
(a) A week.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Several months.
3. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
4. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) His son.
(b) His assistant.
(c) The Prince.
(d) His first wife.
5. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She was no longer an artist.
(b) She had neglected her religious duties.
(c) She only had one child.
(d) She was still not his favored wife.
6. What was the name of Fujiwara's first wife?
7. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) He ignored her.
(b) She stayed the night.
(c) She asked for a divorce.
(d) He asked for a divorce.
8. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
9. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
(a) She cried.
(b) She grew happy.
(c) She became sick.
(d) She grew angry.
10. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
(a) He abused her.
(b) He proposed to her.
(c) He propositioned her.
(d) He kicked her out of her house.
11. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(a) A religious life.
(b) Isolation in a new country.
12. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
13. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
14. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
(a) He left his first wife for her.
(b) He took her on a vacation.
(c) He arranged and paid for the funeral.
(d) He allowed their son to attend the funeral.
15. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
(a) She was pregnant again.
(b) She had gotten sick.
(c) She had kicked him out.
(d) She had lost favor with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
2. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
3. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
4. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
5. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)