|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what season did MM and Fujiwara move into her father's old house?
2. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
(a) Sew baby clothes.
(b) Cook her dinner.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Help her in childbirth.
3. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
(a) His first wife's brother.
(b) MM's father.
(c) The priest.
(d) The prince.
4. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She only had one child.
(b) She was still not his favored wife.
(c) She was no longer an artist.
(d) She had neglected her religious duties.
5. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
(a) The new home was cheaper.
(b) He did not trust her.
(c) The Prince wanted to court MM for himself.
(d) He could see her more often.
6. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) His assistant.
(b) His son.
(c) His first wife.
(d) The Prince.
7. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
(a) She dressed herself in peasant clothing.
(b) She brought very few attendants.
(c) She avoided to the shrine during its more populated hours.
(d) She did not stay in a hotel.
8. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
9. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
(a) Sending her money.
(b) Praying for her.
(c) Abusing her brother.
(d) Visiting her.
10. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
11. For what did Fujiwara instruct MM to prepare when she returned from her pilgrimage?
(a) Purification Ceremony.
12. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
13. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
(b) They gossiped.
(c) They made fun of Tokihime.
(d) They shunned him.
14. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
(d) Broke his fast.
15. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) He ignored her.
(b) She stayed the night.
(c) He asked for a divorce.
(d) She asked for a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
2. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
3. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
4. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
5. What was the market town MM visited on her pilgrimage?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)