|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
(a) She wanted her to beg for forgiveness.
(b) She wanted her to only bear daughters to Fujiwara.
(c) She wanted her to suffer.
(d) She wanted her to run away with Fujiwara.
2. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
(c) The people.
3. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
4. In this book, for what does MM stand?
(a) Miniyaka's Mother.
(b) Michitsuna's Mother.
(c) Mary's Mother.
(d) Moritoku's Mother.
5. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
6. What words did MM's child begin to repeat after hearing his father say it repeatedly?
(a) "See you later."
(b) "You are no good."
(c) "I am leaving now."
(d) "I am more than you need."
7. In what season did MM and Fujiwara move into her father's old house?
8. For what did Fujiwara instruct MM to prepare when she returned from her pilgrimage?
(c) Purification Ceremony.
9. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
10. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
(a) She dressed herself in peasant clothing.
(b) She brought very few attendants.
(c) She did not stay in a hotel.
(d) She avoided to the shrine during its more populated hours.
11. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
(a) MM's father.
(b) The priest.
(c) His first wife's brother.
(d) The prince.
12. What did MM admit to considering when she wrote her letter to Fujiwara?
(b) A religious life.
(d) Isolation in a new country.
13. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She was no longer an artist.
(b) She only had one child.
(c) She had neglected her religious duties.
(d) She was still not his favored wife.
14. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
(b) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(c) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
(d) She felt she complained too much.
15. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was MM's fear after she learned of her husband's affair with his first wife?
2. How many goose eggs did MM send to the young prince?
3. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
4. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
5. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)