|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
(a) Fujiwara wanted to know when she would return home.
(b) Lady Joganden wished to tell her friend that she was moving.
(c) The Prince wished to meet her.
(d) Tokihime was threatening MM to stay away.
2. For how many days was Fujiwara seriously ill?
3. In this book, for what does MM stand?
(a) Miniyaka's Mother.
(b) Moritoku's Mother.
(c) Mary's Mother.
(d) Michitsuna's Mother.
4. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
(a) A flower.
(b) A note to another woman.
(c) A drawing of a nude woman.
(d) A book of verse.
5. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They gossiped.
(b) They shunned him.
(c) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
(d) They made fun of Tokihime.
6. What was the market town MM visited on her pilgrimage?
7. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
8. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
9. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
10. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The East Prince.
(b) The West Prince.
(c) The North Prince.
(d) The South Prince.
11. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She only had one child.
(b) She was no longer an artist.
(c) She had neglected her religious duties.
(d) She was still not his favored wife.
12. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
(a) He grew angry with MM.
(b) He grew angry with the Prince.
(c) He was elated by the Prince's attention.
(d) He ignored it.
13. Who was in the box next to MM and Fujiwara at the Gosechi Festival?
(a) Their future daughter-in-law's family.
(b) MM's father.
(c) His first wife.
(d) The Prince.
14. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
(a) She was not worthy of his attention.
(b) He no longer loved her.
(c) He was too busy.
(d) He did not particularly care about her feelings.
15. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) His son.
(b) The Prince.
(c) His assistant.
(d) His first wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
2. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
3. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
4. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
5. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)