|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did MM make so many pilgrimages to different shrines?
(a) She wanted help for her worries.
(b) She was becoming more religious.
(c) She felt less alone.
(d) She was praying for guidance.
2. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
(b) A note that encouraged him to court MM.
(c) His fortune.
(d) Possession of his farms.
3. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her son.
4. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) She was trying to win him back as well.
(b) His first wife had other lovers.
(c) Fujiwara was out of the village.
(d) Fujiwara had become ill.
5. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
6. Who was in charge of the administration with whom Fujiwara worked?
(a) The prince.
(b) The priest.
(c) His first wife's brother.
(d) MM's father.
7. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
8. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
(a) Her anger.
(b) Her nursing skills.
(c) Her indifference.
(d) Her crying spells.
9. What river did MM cross to reach the object of her pilgrimage?
10. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The North Prince.
(b) The East Prince.
(c) The West Prince.
(d) The South Prince.
11. According to her reply through the courier, where was MM heading after her stay in the market town?
(a) The biggest city she could find.
12. How did the town treat Fujiwara's affair?
(a) They shunned him.
(b) They made fun of Tokihime.
(c) They gossiped.
(d) They looked upon MM with disgrace.
13. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
(a) His health.
(b) His son.
(c) His status as an adulterer.
(d) His promotion.
14. How did Fujiwara respond to the Prince's actions with his wife?
(a) He was elated by the Prince's attention.
(b) He grew angry with MM.
(c) He ignored it.
(d) He grew angry with the Prince.
15. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
2. What did MM learn about Fujiwara's affair with his first wife in the early years of their marriage that caused her the most distress?
3. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
4. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
5. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)