|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She was still not his favored wife.
(b) She only had one child.
(c) She was no longer an artist.
(d) She had neglected her religious duties.
2. After ten years of marriage, what did Fujiwara claim so he could avoid dealing with MM's feelings?
(a) He did not particularly care about her feelings.
(b) She was not worthy of his attention.
(c) He no longer loved her.
(d) He was too busy.
3. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(b) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(c) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
(d) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
4. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
5. What did MM enjoy watching most of all in Uji?
(b) The priests in ceremony.
(c) The children.
(d) Fishing boats.
6. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
7. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her son.
8. How old was MM when Fujiwara begins to court her?
9. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
(b) Possession of his farms.
(c) His fortune.
(d) A note that encouraged him to court MM.
10. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
(a) He allowed their son to attend the funeral.
(b) He left his first wife for her.
(c) He arranged and paid for the funeral.
(d) He took her on a vacation.
11. What event took up a great deal of MM's time after her return from her pilgrimage?
(b) Tea ceremony.
(c) The birth of her second child.
(d) Enthronement Rites.
12. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
(a) Leave the village.
(b) Become a better wife.
(c) Find another husband.
(d) Become a nun.
13. After MM refuses to perform an insulting favor for Fujiwara and his first wife, how long does he shun her?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) A week.
14. In this book, for what does MM stand?
(a) Miniyaka's Mother.
(b) Moritoku's Mother.
(c) Michitsuna's Mother.
(d) Mary's Mother.
15. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
2. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
3. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
4. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
5. Of what did MM's prayer offerings consist?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)