|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He did not want to get his son sick.
(b) He did not want MM to see his decline.
(c) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(d) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
2. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) The Prince.
(b) His first wife.
(c) His assistant.
(d) His son.
3. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
(d) Broke his fast.
4. In Uji, MM especially enjoyed the waters and _____.
5. How many goose eggs did MM send to the young prince?
6. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
(b) Green plants.
(d) Living trees.
7. Who kept MM awake one night during her pilgrimage?
(a) The Prince.
(b) A blind man.
(c) A poet.
(d) A priest.
8. What led to MM's illness around the ten year mark of her marriage?
(a) Food poisoning.
(b) Grief over her mother's death.
(c) Suicide attempt.
(d) A minor epidemic.
9. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She was no longer an artist.
(b) She had neglected her religious duties.
(c) She only had one child.
(d) She was still not his favored wife.
10. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The East Prince.
(b) The North Prince.
(c) The South Prince.
(d) The West Prince.
11. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(b) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
(c) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
(d) She felt she complained too much.
12. To where did MM make a pilgrimage after Fujiwara's promotion?
13. Which family member of MM's traveled a great deal?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her sister.
14. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
(a) She had lost favor with him.
(b) She had kicked him out.
(c) She had gotten sick.
(d) She was pregnant again.
15. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
2. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
3. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
4. Who was in the box next to MM and Fujiwara at the Gosechi Festival?
5. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)