|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(b) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
(c) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(d) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
2. In the event of his death, for how many months did Fujiwara request MM mourn before remarrying?
3. What was the purpose of the message sent by the courier to MM in the market town?
(a) Tokihime was threatening MM to stay away.
(b) The Prince wished to meet her.
(c) Lady Joganden wished to tell her friend that she was moving.
(d) Fujiwara wanted to know when she would return home.
4. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
(a) Care for her child.
5. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
(a) Her husband's abuse.
(b) Her son's anger.
(c) Her aunt's death.
(d) Her sister's departure.
6. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
(a) MM was hallucinating and was frightened of him.
(b) His first wife forbade it.
(c) He could not return to court.
(d) He would grow ill.
7. Why was MM concerned that her prayers would not be answered?
(a) She felt she complained too much.
(b) She felt Tokihime had more potent prayers.
(c) She felt she had fallen out of favor with her ancestors.
(d) She felt Tokihime and Fujiwara were praying against her own prayers.
8. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
(a) Her nursing skills.
(b) Her anger.
(c) Her indifference.
(d) Her crying spells.
9. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
10. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
11. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
(a) She enclosed a lock of her hair.
(b) The tone was cold.
(c) The letters were loving.
(d) She dabbed it with her perfume.
12. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
(a) A drawing of a nude woman.
(b) A book of verse.
(c) A flower.
(d) A note to another woman.
13. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
(a) A note that encouraged him to court MM.
(c) His fortune.
(d) Possession of his farms.
14. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
15. Who was in the box next to MM and Fujiwara at the Gosechi Festival?
(a) MM's father.
(b) Their future daughter-in-law's family.
(c) His first wife.
(d) The Prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Uji, MM especially enjoyed the waters and _____.
2. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
3. What natural disaster hit the town after Fujiwara finally stayed a night with MM after their first falling out over his first wife?
4. Where is MM when Fujiwara first attempted to visit her?
5. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)