|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
(a) Leave the village.
(b) Become a nun.
(c) Become a better wife.
(d) Find another husband.
2. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
3. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
(c) Care for her child.
4. Who succeeded the young prince after his death?
(a) The East Prince.
(b) The West Prince.
(c) The South Prince.
(d) The North Prince.
5. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
(a) She grew angry.
(b) She became sick.
(c) She cried.
(d) She grew happy.
6. What did MM and Fujiwara play at the Gosechi Festival?
7. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
(a) She had him followed.
(b) She was told by the village midwife.
(c) She followed him.
(d) His other wife approached her.
8. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
(a) Her anger.
(b) Her indifference.
(c) Her nursing skills.
(d) Her crying spells.
9. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) Fujiwara was out of the village.
(b) She was trying to win him back as well.
(c) His first wife had other lovers.
(d) Fujiwara had become ill.
10. For how many months did Fujiwara court MM before her father left on a trip?
11. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
(a) She dressed herself in peasant clothing.
(b) She avoided to the shrine during its more populated hours.
(c) She did not stay in a hotel.
(d) She brought very few attendants.
12. How many prayer offerings did MM make to the shrines?
13. According to her reply through the courier, where was MM heading after her stay in the market town?
(a) The biggest city she could find.
14. What natural disaster hit the town after Fujiwara finally stayed a night with MM after their first falling out over his first wife?
15. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(b) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
(c) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(d) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
2. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
3. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
4. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
5. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)