|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What natural disaster hit the town after Fujiwara finally stayed a night with MM after their first falling out over his first wife?
2. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
(a) She wanted her to run away with Fujiwara.
(b) She wanted her to only bear daughters to Fujiwara.
(c) She wanted her to beg for forgiveness.
(d) She wanted her to suffer.
3. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
(a) She was trying to win him back as well.
(b) Fujiwara had become ill.
(c) Fujiwara was out of the village.
(d) His first wife had other lovers.
4. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
(a) Pray for her.
(b) Sew baby clothes.
(c) Help her in childbirth.
(d) Cook her dinner.
5. How did MM maintain a low profile during her stay in Uji?
(a) She dressed herself in peasant clothing.
(b) She brought very few attendants.
(c) She did not stay in a hotel.
(d) She avoided to the shrine during its more populated hours.
6. What did MM's father leave for Fujiwara before his trip?
(a) Possession of his farms.
(c) His fortune.
(d) A note that encouraged him to court MM.
7. With what is Fujiwara dissatisfied amid his wives' struggles to prove to him their worth?
(a) His health.
(b) His son.
(c) His promotion.
(d) His status as an adulterer.
8. When she was looking back on her courtship with Fujiwara, what did MM admit doing when she currently saw him?
(a) She cried.
(b) She grew angry.
(c) She grew happy.
(d) She became sick.
9. In what sort of mood was Fujiwara when he came to see MM during the early period of his polygamist life with her?
10. What was particularly important about MM's visit to Fujiwara after his recovery?
(a) He asked for a divorce.
(b) She asked for a divorce.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) She stayed the night.
11. What did MM find hard to do when Fujiwara chose to spend his time with his other wife?
(d) Care for her child.
12. What was significant about Fujiwara's illicit relationship when he first married MM?
(a) He was quite secretive.
(b) His marriage was null and void.
(c) It resulted in a baby.
(d) He was incredibly indiscreet.
13. What action did the Prince take that confused and unsettled MM when Fujiwara went to see his first wife?
(a) He propositioned her.
(b) He abused her.
(c) He kicked her out of her house.
(d) He proposed to her.
14. What did Fujiwara enjoy sending MM in the early days of their courtship?
15. What did Fujiwara do especially with MM when she first visited him after his illness?
(a) Broke his fast.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to her reply through the courier, where was MM heading after her stay in the market town?
2. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
3. Where did MM primarily sleep during her pilgrimage?
4. How did the Prince treat the problems of his new neighbors, Fujiwara, and MM?
5. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)