|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
(a) A flower.
(b) A note to another woman.
(c) A drawing of a nude woman.
(d) A book of verse.
2. Before his awkward return back to MM, how many days did Fujiwara disappear after an argument with her?
3. What did Fujiwara suggest that MM should do if she was dissatisfied with him as a spouse?
(a) Become a nun.
(b) Become a better wife.
(c) Leave the village.
(d) Find another husband.
4. In what season did MM and Fujiwara move into her father's old house?
5. In this book, for what does MM stand?
(a) Michitsuna's Mother.
(b) Miniyaka's Mother.
(c) Moritoku's Mother.
(d) Mary's Mother.
6. Why did Fujiwara move MM closer to the palace after his promotion?
(a) He did not trust her.
(b) He could see her more often.
(c) The new home was cheaper.
(d) The Prince wanted to court MM for himself.
7. What disappointed MM about her travels after the market town?
(a) The people.
8. What did Fujiwara begin to do that caused MM to believe he was "cheating" in his courtship?
(a) Sending her money.
(b) Abusing her brother.
(c) Visiting her.
(d) Praying for her.
9. To what position was Fujiwara promoted upon the death of the prince?
(a) Head secretary.
(c) Head chamberlain.
(d) Head cook.
10. What did MM assume about Fujiwara's first wife when he began to stay with her again?
(a) She had gotten sick.
(b) She had lost favor with him.
(c) She was pregnant again.
(d) She had kicked him out.
11. What was significant about Fujiwara's illicit relationship when he first married MM?
(a) It resulted in a baby.
(b) He was incredibly indiscreet.
(c) His marriage was null and void.
(d) He was quite secretive.
12. What distressed MM most about her ten years of marriage to Fujiwara?
(a) She was no longer an artist.
(b) She only had one child.
(c) She was still not his favored wife.
(d) She had neglected her religious duties.
13. When Fujiwara replied to MM's letter in Book One, how did he justify his behavior?
(a) He was a weak man.
(b) She was not in love with him.
(c) He was obeying her father's wishes.
(d) She was an unfaithful partner.
14. For what did MM hope for Fujiwara's first wife after months of poor treatment from her husband?
(a) She wanted her to only bear daughters to Fujiwara.
(b) She wanted her to suffer.
(c) She wanted her to run away with Fujiwara.
(d) She wanted her to beg for forgiveness.
15. For what did Fujiwara constantly berate his wife during the time she dealt with a death in the family and his own illness?
(a) Her anger.
(b) Her nursing skills.
(c) Her crying spells.
(d) Her indifference.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Fujiwara not allowed to touch his wife when she was ill?
2. In Uji, MM especially enjoyed the waters and _____.
3. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
4. How did MM realize that Fujiwara was not spending much time with his first wife?
5. How did MM initially learn of her husband's polygamy?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)