|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Uji, MM especially enjoyed the waters and _____.
2. What was significant about Fujiwara's illicit relationship when he first married MM?
(a) He was quite secretive.
(b) It resulted in a baby.
(c) He was incredibly indiscreet.
(d) His marriage was null and void.
3. To whom did MM attempt to object about Fujiwara's unwanted courtship?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. After how many months of marriage did MM give birth to her son?
5. Why did Fujiwara leave home after he became ill?
(a) He did not want MM to see his decline.
(b) He was afraid he would never see his first wife again.
(c) He did not think MM could handle caring for him.
(d) He did not want to get his son sick.
6. What ceremony did the Prince celebrate with Fujiwara and MM?
7. After the year of mourning, what happened that sent MM back into her depression?
(a) Her sister's departure.
(b) Her husband's abuse.
(c) Her son's anger.
(d) Her aunt's death.
8. What did MM find lacking on the trail out of the market town?
(b) Living trees.
(d) Green plants.
9. Looking back on Fujiwara's courtship, what was significant about how MM currently felt about her eventual marriage to him?
10. After mourning for a year, what did MM and her family purify?
11. What was significant about the letters MM sent back to Fujiwara during their courtship?
(a) The tone was cold.
(b) She dabbed it with her perfume.
(c) The letters were loving.
(d) She enclosed a lock of her hair.
12. What favor did Fujiwara ask MM to do for his first wife?
(a) Cook her dinner.
(b) Help her in childbirth.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Sew baby clothes.
13. Who responded to MM's letters for Fujiwara during his illness?
(a) His first wife.
(b) His son.
(c) The Prince.
(d) His assistant.
14. How did Fujiwara describe his ongoing relationship with his first wife to MM?
15. What cruel practice does Fujiwara make with his first wife that hurts MM more than anything in the early days of his relationship with both of them?
(a) He told everyone MM was Tokihime's servant.
(b) He rode past his house with MM with Tokihime.
(c) He flaunted his child with Tokihime.
(d) He told everyone Michitsuna was Tokihime's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did MM discover amidst Fujiwara's belongings early in their marriage?
2. For how many days was Fujiwara seriously ill?
3. What was the market town MM visited on her pilgrimage?
4. What kindness did Fujiwara show for MM after the loss of her loved one after ten years of marriage?
5. How old was MM when Fujiwara begins to court her?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)