|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jugurtha begin to do after he decides not to surrender?
2. How does Metellus attempt to provoke Jugurtha?
3. What does Publius Scipio tell Jugurtha?
4. Who is the heir the the Numidian throne after Jugurtha?
5. What does the Senate decide to do about Adherbal's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave Numidia?
2. What does Jugurtha hear about Metellus, what is his response to that and how does Metellus respond to Jugurtha?
3. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
4. What does the senate decide to do about Numidia?
5. What does Marius do when he is in Numidia?
6. What does Memmuis tell Jugurtha he must do when Cassius brings him to Rome and how does Jugurtha get out of it?
7. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
8. How does Jugurtha take care of Annuis?
9. How does the Roman public react to Marius and Metellus's falling out?
10. What happens when Metellus tries to capture Zama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catiline thinks the best way forward is through war. He sends his best men to various parts of Europe with the view of burning Rome when the time is right. He tells his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times.
1. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with Catiline's idea of the use of war. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Catiline wants to conquer Rome yet plans to burn it. Does this sound sane to you? Why or why not? Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Catiline has told all of his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times. Discuss the similarities and differences between his beliefs and behaviors and the terrorists of the present. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jugurtha's actions end up bringing the corruption in the Roman government to light and proves to be the initial impetus for eliminating some of that corruption.
1. In view of the brutalities and crimes Jugurtha committed do you think the ultimate outcome in the Roman government was worth it? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Sallust seems to present Jugurtha in a positive manner and might even admire him. How do you think Sallust's portrayal of Jugurtha would have changed if the changes Sallust wanted had not been a result of Jugurtha's actions?
3. Explain why the following saying relates to the first sentence: The end justifies the means.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust claims Catiline looked mostly to capture the minds and support of youngsters, buying them gifts and sending them mistresses.
1. Why do you think Catiline tried to get the young people on his side? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. In Germany when Hitler began his Nazi campaign it was the young people he targeted. Discuss how this relates to Catiline.
3. Do you think all young people could be brought with gifts? What kind of young person do you think could not be bribed? Discuss what you think of the character of someone who can be bribed to follow someone?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)