Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
2. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
3. How did the Africans under Micipas view Jugurtha?
4. Why does Jugurtha bribe Romans?
5. What does Sallust say is Metellus's primary character trait?
Essay Topic 1
From Sallust's perspective, the Jugurthine war was more akin to a civil war between the nobility and the people, and Jugurtha was an excuse for the takeover.
1. Why do you think Sallust calls the Jugurthine War a civil war? Do you agree with this assertion? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In some ways, some of the wars in which the United States has participated were civil wars, at least from Sallust's perspective. Do you think it is moral or immoral for America to interfere in a civil war in another country? Why or why not?
3. If one believes Sallust's description of civil war, then the American Revolution would have to be considered a civil war. Debate the two sides to this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Catiline thinks the best way forward is through war. He sends his best men to various parts of Europe with the view of burning Rome when the time is right. He tells his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times.
1. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with Catiline's idea of the use of war. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Catiline wants to conquer Rome yet plans to burn it. Does this sound sane to you? Why or why not? Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Catiline has told all of his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times. Discuss the similarities and differences between his beliefs and behaviors and the terrorists of the present. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust presents the Roman army as ill-disciplined brutes. They buy everything instead of making it and live a luxurious life that is not conducive to being men of war.
1. Explain in detail why you think Sallust's evaluation of how soldiers should live is correct or wrong. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in detail the moral implications of the politicians who send soldiers to war living at a much higher standard than the soldiers. Include in your discussion if you believe the disparity between soldiers' lives and politicians lives make it easier for politicians to use soldiers.
3. Military personnel in America receive fairly low compensation for their jobs although in peacetime the benefits and compensation may seem adequate, when faced with combat, it might seem too little. Discuss what you think is a fair wage for combat soldiers and what they should receive as veterans.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)