|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the Roman representatives get to speak to Adherbal?
2. How does Jugurtha get a better deal from the Senate?
3. How does Sallust present the Roman army in the beginning?
4. What does Jugurtha tell Bomilcar to do?
5. When does Marius decide to attack Jugurtha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jugurtha hear about Metellus, what is his response to that and how does Metellus respond to Jugurtha?
2. What does the senate decide to do about Numidia?
3. What does Jugurtha decide to do after he agrees to surrender to Metellus?
4. How, when and why did a rift develop between Jugurtha and his brothers?
5. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave Numidia?
6. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
7. What does Sallust say is the reason he is writing The Jugurthine War book?
8. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
9. How does the Roman public react to Marius and Metellus's falling out?
10. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems strange that Sallust represents Jugurtha as an honorable man and then suggests that his motives behind his violence were nothing more than a lust for power, control and war.
1. Discuss, with examples from the text, the above statement.
2. Jugurtha committed many atrocities in his quest for power. Discuss how you believe his behavior would be settled in an international court for war crimes. How are his actions similar to some of the war crimes which have been tried in the past twenty years?
3. Jugurtha killed not only many people, but his own adopted brothers and even tortured Adherbal. Do you think fratricide is morally more reprehensible than murder of a person who is unknown to the criminal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Jugurthine War is presented by Sallust as an historical account of two events in Roman history yet it seems to contain as much subjective opinion as historical facts.
1. Discuss why Sallust's book might be mere propaganda for the Roman government. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Debate the following statement: History should contain only facts not opinions or propaganda.
3. How much propaganda do you think is taught in history classes in the present time? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Catiline thinks the best way forward is through war. He sends his best men to various parts of Europe with the view of burning Rome when the time is right. He tells his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times.
1. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with Catiline's idea of the use of war. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Catiline wants to conquer Rome yet plans to burn it. Does this sound sane to you? Why or why not? Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Catiline has told all of his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times. Discuss the similarities and differences between his beliefs and behaviors and the terrorists of the present. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)