|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Publius Scipio tell Jugurtha?
2. What does the Senate give Metellus after he is elected?
3. To where does Adherbal escape with his soldiers?
4. What does Sallust say people should not do if the government is corrupt?
5. Why does Adherbal deliver a speech to the Senate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adherbal do when he runs to Rome and how does that work out for him?
2. What does Jugurtha decide to do after he agrees to surrender to Metellus?
3. What does Marius do when he is in Numidia?
4. How does Jugurtha take care of Annuis?
5. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
6. How do the Romans finally arrest Jugurtha?
7. How does the Senate respond to Jugurtha's action towards Adherbal?
8. How does the war between Jugurtha and Adhrbal start?
9. Who is Marcus Scaurus and what does the Senate have him do? How does Jugurtha respond to Scaurus?
10. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sallust includes a speech he makes to the people in which he says that the government is corrupt but the people should not get violent.
1. Explain how Sallust's statement about violence contradicts his positive portrayal of Jugurtha. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. The United States of America is just one of many countries that have been started by violent revolution. How does the existence of America contradict the above statement that Sallust has about corruption in government and violence?
3. Explain, in detail, how Jugurtha might have been able to peaceably obtain his goals.
Essay Topic 2
Sallust said that wise leaders who could recognize people as individuals and bring them together through a shared love of their nation, built the original Roman society.
1. Why do you think Sallust thought the leaders were wise in the early days of the empire? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss why love of a nation might bind a people together better than greed or love of power.
3. Discuss what the leaders of America might be able to learn from the early leadership of Rome and how they might be able to implement similar leadership.
Essay Topic 3
Jugurtha's actions end up bringing the corruption in the Roman government to light and proves to be the initial impetus for eliminating some of that corruption.
1. In view of the brutalities and crimes Jugurtha committed do you think the ultimate outcome in the Roman government was worth it? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Sallust seems to present Jugurtha in a positive manner and might even admire him. How do you think Sallust's portrayal of Jugurtha would have changed if the changes Sallust wanted had not been a result of Jugurtha's actions?
3. Explain why the following saying relates to the first sentence: The end justifies the means.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)