|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Senate decide to do about Adherbal's request?
2. What type of public positions, according to Sallust, are not desired by public servants?
3. Who does the Roman public favor in the next consul election?
4. How does Metellus attempt to provoke Jugurtha?
5. Who does the majority of the people support in the Jugurthine War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marius do when he is in Numidia?
2. What does the Senate tell Jugurtha he must do about Adherbal and what is Jugurtha's response?
3. What does Sallust say about public office and what most men don't want and how they gain promotions?
4. How does the Roman public react to Marius and Metellus's falling out?
5. How does the war between Jugurtha and Adhrbal start?
6. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
7. What happens when Metellus tries to capture Zama?
8. What does Jugurtha tell his army and what do they do?
9. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
10. Describe the circumstances surrounding Hiempsal's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Sallust's perspective, the Jugurthine war was more akin to a civil war between the nobility and the people, and Jugurtha was an excuse for the takeover.
1. Why do you think Sallust calls the Jugurthine War a civil war? Do you agree with this assertion? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In some ways, some of the wars in which the United States has participated were civil wars, at least from Sallust's perspective. Do you think it is moral or immoral for America to interfere in a civil war in another country? Why or why not?
3. If one believes Sallust's description of civil war, then the American Revolution would have to be considered a civil war. Debate the two sides to this statement.
Essay Topic 2
It seems strange that Sallust represents Jugurtha as an honorable man and then suggests that his motives behind his violence were nothing more than a lust for power, control and war.
1. Discuss, with examples from the text, the above statement.
2. Jugurtha committed many atrocities in his quest for power. Discuss how you believe his behavior would be settled in an international court for war crimes. How are his actions similar to some of the war crimes which have been tried in the past twenty years?
3. Jugurtha killed not only many people, but his own adopted brothers and even tortured Adherbal. Do you think fratricide is morally more reprehensible than murder of a person who is unknown to the criminal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Catiline thinks the best way forward is through war. He sends his best men to various parts of Europe with the view of burning Rome when the time is right. He tells his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times.
1. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with Catiline's idea of the use of war. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Catiline wants to conquer Rome yet plans to burn it. Does this sound sane to you? Why or why not? Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Catiline has told all of his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times. Discuss the similarities and differences between his beliefs and behaviors and the terrorists of the present. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)