|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the heir the the Numidian throne after Jugurtha?
2. What does Jugurtha persuade the people of Vacca to do?
3. How does Metellus feel about Marius becoming a consul?
4. What type of public positions, according to Sallust, are not desired by public servants?
5. What does Jugurtha ask of King Bocchus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jugurtha hear about Metellus, what is his response to that and how does Metellus respond to Jugurtha?
2. What does the senate decide to do about Numidia?
3. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
4. What does Memmuis tell Jugurtha he must do when Cassius brings him to Rome and how does Jugurtha get out of it?
5. What does Adherbal do when he runs to Rome and how does that work out for him?
6. What does Sallust say about man's intellectual ability and fate?
7. How does the Roman public react to Marius and Metellus's falling out?
8. What happens as fear spreads through Numidia?
9. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
10. Describe the circumstances surrounding Hiempsal's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What do you think can account for the discrepancy between Sallust's opinions and experiences and recorded history?
2. Who writes history? Are historical records always accurate, mostly accurate, or slightly accurate? How can we know how accurate an historical record is?
3. What are some reasons history has been inadvertently recorded inaccurately? What are some reasons history has been recorded inaccurately intentionally?
4. Do you think it is ever justified to record an event inaccurately? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It seems strange that Sallust represents Jugurtha as an honorable man and then suggests that his motives behind his violence were nothing more than a lust for power, control and war.
1. Discuss, with examples from the text, the above statement.
2. Jugurtha committed many atrocities in his quest for power. Discuss how you believe his behavior would be settled in an international court for war crimes. How are his actions similar to some of the war crimes which have been tried in the past twenty years?
3. Jugurtha killed not only many people, but his own adopted brothers and even tortured Adherbal. Do you think fratricide is morally more reprehensible than murder of a person who is unknown to the criminal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sallust describes Metellus as an honorable man, who Jurgurtha has no chance to persuade with the lure of gold. Metullus bribes Bohumilcar to bring him Jurgurtha offering him a pardon for murder.
1. Though Metellus is touted as an honorable man by Sallust he offers a pardon for murder to get Bohumilcar. Discuss how this behavior conflicts with the concept of an honorable man.
2. Discuss, in detail, what you believe being an honorable man might mean in present day American society.
3. Discuss a situation in your own life where either honor or dishonor made a situation better or worse.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)