Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
2. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
3. How did the Africans under Micipas view Jugurtha?
4. Why does Jugurtha bribe Romans?
5. What does Sallust say is Metellus's primary character trait?
Essay Topic 1
Jugurtha motivates his troops by saying they have conquered the Romans before and they will do it again. He says they are at an advantage because they know the land.
1. Why do you think Jugurtha appeals to his troops history with the Romans in order to motivate them? Does the fact that the Romans are in control of Numidia negate his argument? How does it affect what Jugurtha says to his troops about fighting the Romans?
2. Discuss why Jugurtha troops knowing the land will be an advantage over the Roman troops. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Speeches before battle is a type of manipulation. If one can appeal to the emotions of soldiers they will be more likely to be willing to die for their leader. How do you think this type of manipulation can be used or is used in modern armies?
Essay Topic 2
It seems strange that Sallust represents Jugurtha as an honorable man and then suggests that his motives behind his violence were nothing more than a lust for power, control and war.
1. Discuss, with examples from the text, the above statement.
2. Jugurtha committed many atrocities in his quest for power. Discuss how you believe his behavior would be settled in an international court for war crimes. How are his actions similar to some of the war crimes which have been tried in the past twenty years?
3. Jugurtha killed not only many people, but his own adopted brothers and even tortured Adherbal. Do you think fratricide is morally more reprehensible than murder of a person who is unknown to the criminal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sallust includes a speech he makes to the people in which he says that the government is corrupt but the people should not get violent.
1. Explain how Sallust's statement about violence contradicts his positive portrayal of Jugurtha. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. The United States of America is just one of many countries that have been started by violent revolution. How does the existence of America contradict the above statement that Sallust has about corruption in government and violence?
3. Explain, in detail, how Jugurtha might have been able to peaceably obtain his goals.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)