|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Jugurtha make friends when he is fighting for Micipas?
2. What does Jugurtha do with his army?
3. To whom does Micipas want to hand over his power?
4. To where does Adherbal escape with his soldiers?
5. What does Metellus do with his soldiers when he retreats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
2. What happens when Metellus tries to capture Zama?
3. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
4. How does the war between Jugurtha and Adhrbal start?
5. How does the Senate respond to Jugurtha's action towards Adherbal?
6. What type of government does Sallust say could solve the problems but what happens when that is attempted?
7. How, when and why did a rift develop between Jugurtha and his brothers?
8. What does Sallust say about public office and what most men don't want and how they gain promotions?
9. How does Jugurtha take care of Annuis?
10. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sallust describes Metellus as an honorable man, who Jurgurtha has no chance to persuade with the lure of gold. Metullus bribes Bohumilcar to bring him Jurgurtha offering him a pardon for murder.
1. Though Metellus is touted as an honorable man by Sallust he offers a pardon for murder to get Bohumilcar. Discuss how this behavior conflicts with the concept of an honorable man.
2. Discuss, in detail, what you believe being an honorable man might mean in present day American society.
3. Discuss a situation in your own life where either honor or dishonor made a situation better or worse.
Essay Topic 2
Jugurtha motivates his troops by saying they have conquered the Romans before and they will do it again. He says they are at an advantage because they know the land.
1. Why do you think Jugurtha appeals to his troops history with the Romans in order to motivate them? Does the fact that the Romans are in control of Numidia negate his argument? How does it affect what Jugurtha says to his troops about fighting the Romans?
2. Discuss why Jugurtha troops knowing the land will be an advantage over the Roman troops. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Speeches before battle is a type of manipulation. If one can appeal to the emotions of soldiers they will be more likely to be willing to die for their leader. How do you think this type of manipulation can be used or is used in modern armies?
Essay Topic 3
Bocchus calls a meeting with Maruis, who sends Sylla in his place. Bocchus offers his submission and asks if he can come to Rome to meet with the Senate. Rome grants permission and they decide Bocchus was lead astray by Jurgurtha.
1. The above statement seems to imply that the Roman Senate is allowing Bocchus to abdicate responsibility for his actions. Do you think this is reasonable? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think is the similarities and differences between the Senate's decision about Bocchus and what is called "mitigating circumstances" in our justice system?
3. Do you think claiming to be under the influence of someone else is a valid mitigating circumstance? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)