|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marius retreat to when attacked by Jugurtha?
2. Who is the heir the the Numidian throne after Jugurtha?
3. What does Metellus offer Bohumilcar as a bribe?
4. What does Jugurtha think the Romans are likely to do with him?
5. What does Jugurtha begin to do after he decides not to surrender?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
2. What happens as fear spreads through Numidia?
3. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave Numidia?
4. What does the Senate have Metellus do after he is elected and how does Sallust describe Metellus?
5. What does Memmuis tell Jugurtha he must do when Cassius brings him to Rome and how does Jugurtha get out of it?
6. What does Metellus do with Bohumilcar?
7. What does the Senate tell Jugurtha he must do about Adherbal and what is Jugurtha's response?
8. How do the Romans finally arrest Jugurtha?
9. What happens when Metellus tries to capture Zama?
10. How, when and why did a rift develop between Jugurtha and his brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sallust presents the Roman army as ill-disciplined brutes. They buy everything instead of making it and live a luxurious life that is not conducive to being men of war.
1. Explain in detail why you think Sallust's evaluation of how soldiers should live is correct or wrong. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in detail the moral implications of the politicians who send soldiers to war living at a much higher standard than the soldiers. Include in your discussion if you believe the disparity between soldiers' lives and politicians lives make it easier for politicians to use soldiers.
3. Military personnel in America receive fairly low compensation for their jobs although in peacetime the benefits and compensation may seem adequate, when faced with combat, it might seem too little. Discuss what you think is a fair wage for combat soldiers and what they should receive as veterans.
Essay Topic 2
Sallust said that wise leaders who could recognize people as individuals and bring them together through a shared love of their nation, built the original Roman society.
1. Why do you think Sallust thought the leaders were wise in the early days of the empire? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss why love of a nation might bind a people together better than greed or love of power.
3. Discuss what the leaders of America might be able to learn from the early leadership of Rome and how they might be able to implement similar leadership.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust describes Metellus as an honorable man, who Jurgurtha has no chance to persuade with the lure of gold. Metullus bribes Bohumilcar to bring him Jurgurtha offering him a pardon for murder.
1. Though Metellus is touted as an honorable man by Sallust he offers a pardon for murder to get Bohumilcar. Discuss how this behavior conflicts with the concept of an honorable man.
2. Discuss, in detail, what you believe being an honorable man might mean in present day American society.
3. Discuss a situation in your own life where either honor or dishonor made a situation better or worse.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)