|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Jugurtha make friends when he is fighting for Micipas?
2. Why does Memmuis send Lucius Cassius to Numidia?
3. What does Bocchus decide to do about Marius?
4. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
5. What does Adherbal do before he battles with Jugurtha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jugurtha hear about Metellus, what is his response to that and how does Metellus respond to Jugurtha?
2. What does Jugurtha decide to do after he agrees to surrender to Metellus?
3. What happens as fear spreads through Numidia?
4. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
5. How does the Senate respond to Jugurtha's action towards Adherbal?
6. What type of government does Sallust say could solve the problems but what happens when that is attempted?
7. How do the Romans finally arrest Jugurtha?
8. What happens when Metellus tries to capture Zama?
9. How does the Roman public react to Marius and Metellus's falling out?
10. Who is Marcus Scaurus and what does the Senate have him do? How does Jugurtha respond to Scaurus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jugurtha's actions end up bringing the corruption in the Roman government to light and proves to be the initial impetus for eliminating some of that corruption.
1. In view of the brutalities and crimes Jugurtha committed do you think the ultimate outcome in the Roman government was worth it? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Sallust seems to present Jugurtha in a positive manner and might even admire him. How do you think Sallust's portrayal of Jugurtha would have changed if the changes Sallust wanted had not been a result of Jugurtha's actions?
3. Explain why the following saying relates to the first sentence: The end justifies the means.
Essay Topic 2
Sallust binds the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure. In a dictatorship such of that of Sylla's and the government Catiline is trying to enforce, acting quickly does not work. Democratic leadership, Sallust says, is more apt to have success with quick decisions.
1. Explain why Sallust does not consider a dictatorship a sound political structure. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the difference and similarities between a dictatorship and a democracy government.
3. What do you think is meant by Sallust binding the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure.
Essay Topic 3
From Sallust's perspective, the Jugurthine war was more akin to a civil war between the nobility and the people, and Jugurtha was an excuse for the takeover.
1. Why do you think Sallust calls the Jugurthine War a civil war? Do you agree with this assertion? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In some ways, some of the wars in which the United States has participated were civil wars, at least from Sallust's perspective. Do you think it is moral or immoral for America to interfere in a civil war in another country? Why or why not?
3. If one believes Sallust's description of civil war, then the American Revolution would have to be considered a civil war. Debate the two sides to this statement.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)