|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jugurtha's troops do after Marius retreats?
2. What does Jugurtha begin to do after he decides not to surrender?
3. When does Marius decide to attack Jugurtha?
4. How does Jugurtha motivate his troops to fight against the Romans?
5. To where does Adherval flee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the senate decide to do about Numidia?
2. How does the Senate respond to Jugurtha's action towards Adherbal?
3. What does Jugurtha hear about Metellus, what is his response to that and how does Metellus respond to Jugurtha?
4. What does Marius do when he is in Numidia?
5. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
6. What does Sallust say is the reason he is writing The Jugurthine War book?
7. What does Jugurtha decide to do after he agrees to surrender to Metellus?
8. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave Numidia?
9. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
10. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jugurtha's actions end up bringing the corruption in the Roman government to light and proves to be the initial impetus for eliminating some of that corruption.
1. In view of the brutalities and crimes Jugurtha committed do you think the ultimate outcome in the Roman government was worth it? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Sallust seems to present Jugurtha in a positive manner and might even admire him. How do you think Sallust's portrayal of Jugurtha would have changed if the changes Sallust wanted had not been a result of Jugurtha's actions?
3. Explain why the following saying relates to the first sentence: The end justifies the means.
Essay Topic 2
Sallust binds the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure. In a dictatorship such of that of Sylla's and the government Catiline is trying to enforce, acting quickly does not work. Democratic leadership, Sallust says, is more apt to have success with quick decisions.
1. Explain why Sallust does not consider a dictatorship a sound political structure. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the difference and similarities between a dictatorship and a democracy government.
3. What do you think is meant by Sallust binding the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust said that wise leaders who could recognize people as individuals and bring them together through a shared love of their nation, built the original Roman society.
1. Why do you think Sallust thought the leaders were wise in the early days of the empire? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss why love of a nation might bind a people together better than greed or love of power.
3. Discuss what the leaders of America might be able to learn from the early leadership of Rome and how they might be able to implement similar leadership.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)