|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are people reaching powerful positions?
2. What does Annuis finally do after speaking with Jugurtha?
3. What does Jugurtha think the Romans are likely to do with him?
4. What does Sallust say men are obsessed by which controls their lives?
5. Why does Jugurtha send his best men to Zama?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marcus Scaurus and what does the Senate have him do? How does Jugurtha respond to Scaurus?
2. What happens when Metellus tries to capture Zama?
3. What happens as fear spreads through Numidia?
4. What type of government does Sallust say could solve the problems but what happens when that is attempted?
5. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
6. What does Sallust say about man's intellectual ability and fate?
7. How does Jugurtha take care of Annuis?
8. How, when and why did a rift develop between Jugurtha and his brothers?
9. What does Sallust say is the reason he is writing The Jugurthine War book?
10. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jugurtha motivates his troops by saying they have conquered the Romans before and they will do it again. He says they are at an advantage because they know the land.
1. Why do you think Jugurtha appeals to his troops history with the Romans in order to motivate them? Does the fact that the Romans are in control of Numidia negate his argument? How does it affect what Jugurtha says to his troops about fighting the Romans?
2. Discuss why Jugurtha troops knowing the land will be an advantage over the Roman troops. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Speeches before battle is a type of manipulation. If one can appeal to the emotions of soldiers they will be more likely to be willing to die for their leader. How do you think this type of manipulation can be used or is used in modern armies?
Essay Topic 2
From Sallust's perspective, the Jugurthine war was more akin to a civil war between the nobility and the people, and Jugurtha was an excuse for the takeover.
1. Why do you think Sallust calls the Jugurthine War a civil war? Do you agree with this assertion? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In some ways, some of the wars in which the United States has participated were civil wars, at least from Sallust's perspective. Do you think it is moral or immoral for America to interfere in a civil war in another country? Why or why not?
3. If one believes Sallust's description of civil war, then the American Revolution would have to be considered a civil war. Debate the two sides to this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust binds the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure. In a dictatorship such of that of Sylla's and the government Catiline is trying to enforce, acting quickly does not work. Democratic leadership, Sallust says, is more apt to have success with quick decisions.
1. Explain why Sallust does not consider a dictatorship a sound political structure. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the difference and similarities between a dictatorship and a democracy government.
3. What do you think is meant by Sallust binding the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)