Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
2. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
3. How did the Africans under Micipas view Jugurtha?
4. Why does Jugurtha bribe Romans?
5. What does Sallust say is Metellus's primary character trait?
Sallust presents the Roman army as ill-disciplined brutes. They buy everything instead of making it and live a luxurious life that is not conducive to being men of war.
1. Explain in detail why you think Sallust's evaluation of how soldiers should live is correct or wrong. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in detail the moral implications of the politicians who send soldiers to war living at a much higher standard than the soldiers. Include in your discussion if you believe the disparity between soldiers' lives and politicians lives make it easier for politicians to use soldiers.
3. Military personnel in America receive fairly low compensation for their jobs although in peacetime the benefits and compensation may seem adequate, when faced with combat, it might seem too little. Discuss what you think is a fair wage for combat soldiers and what they should receive as veterans.
Men joined the army where they aimed to earn renown as a hero. At that time, money and power were more in the background. He states that the Romans do not have greater literature because their people did not want to record merits but wanted their own merits celebrated.
1. There are many reasons why one might join an army. Discuss at least four reasons and whether you believe those are better reasons than to join it for fame.
2. Discuss why Sallust thinks self-aggrandizing has interfered with greater literature being produced.
3. Sallust states that money and power were more in the background at the time as far as what people wanted. Discuss why it is possible that money and power follow fame and admiration.
Sallust binds the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure. In a dictatorship such of that of Sylla's and the government Catiline is trying to enforce, acting quickly does not work. Democratic leadership, Sallust says, is more apt to have success with quick decisions.
1. Explain why Sallust does not consider a dictatorship a sound political structure. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the difference and similarities between a dictatorship and a democracy government.
3. What do you think is meant by Sallust binding the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)