|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Memmuis do about Jugurtha?
2. Who persuades Jugurtha to keep silent about corruption in the Roman government?
3. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
4. What did the Romans give to King Masinissa?
5. What does Metellus do with his soldiers when he retreats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jugurtha decide to do after he agrees to surrender to Metellus?
2. What type of government does Sallust say could solve the problems but what happens when that is attempted?
3. What does Sallust say is the reason he is writing The Jugurthine War book?
4. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
5. What happens when Metellus tries to capture Zama?
6. What does Jugurtha tell his army and what do they do?
7. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
8. What does Sallust say about man's intellectual ability and fate?
9. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
10. How do the Romans finally arrest Jugurtha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What do you think can account for the discrepancy between Sallust's opinions and experiences and recorded history?
2. Who writes history? Are historical records always accurate, mostly accurate, or slightly accurate? How can we know how accurate an historical record is?
3. What are some reasons history has been inadvertently recorded inaccurately? What are some reasons history has been recorded inaccurately intentionally?
4. Do you think it is ever justified to record an event inaccurately? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sallust describes Metellus as an honorable man, who Jurgurtha has no chance to persuade with the lure of gold. Metullus bribes Bohumilcar to bring him Jurgurtha offering him a pardon for murder.
1. Though Metellus is touted as an honorable man by Sallust he offers a pardon for murder to get Bohumilcar. Discuss how this behavior conflicts with the concept of an honorable man.
2. Discuss, in detail, what you believe being an honorable man might mean in present day American society.
3. Discuss a situation in your own life where either honor or dishonor made a situation better or worse.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust presents the Roman army as ill-disciplined brutes. They buy everything instead of making it and live a luxurious life that is not conducive to being men of war.
1. Explain in detail why you think Sallust's evaluation of how soldiers should live is correct or wrong. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in detail the moral implications of the politicians who send soldiers to war living at a much higher standard than the soldiers. Include in your discussion if you believe the disparity between soldiers' lives and politicians lives make it easier for politicians to use soldiers.
3. Military personnel in America receive fairly low compensation for their jobs although in peacetime the benefits and compensation may seem adequate, when faced with combat, it might seem too little. Discuss what you think is a fair wage for combat soldiers and what they should receive as veterans.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)