Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
2. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
3. How did the Africans under Micipas view Jugurtha?
4. Why does Jugurtha bribe Romans?
5. What does Sallust say is Metellus's primary character trait?
Essay Topic 1
Jugurtha motivates his troops by saying they have conquered the Romans before and they will do it again. He says they are at an advantage because they know the land.
1. Why do you think Jugurtha appeals to his troops history with the Romans in order to motivate them? Does the fact that the Romans are in control of Numidia negate his argument? How does it affect what Jugurtha says to his troops about fighting the Romans?
2. Discuss why Jugurtha troops knowing the land will be an advantage over the Roman troops. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Speeches before battle is a type of manipulation. If one can appeal to the emotions of soldiers they will be more likely to be willing to die for their leader. How do you think this type of manipulation can be used or is used in modern armies?
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, Sallust's recording of events reads more like a novel than an historical document. The book moves along quickly, progressing in short chapters; within the chapters, the writing is not the formal and detailed style a reader would expect from a modern history book.
1. Discuss why you do or do not agree with the above statement using examples from the text to illustrate your opinion.
2. What do you think are the reasons an historian might want to write a book of history that would be interesting for an average reader rather than just historians? What would be the benefit to more people reading a book versus a select few?
3. What do you see are the differences between Sallust's historical accounts of the Catiline Revolt and the Jugurthine War and one that might be written to teach high school students in the 21st. century? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Jugurthine War is presented by Sallust as an historical account of two events in Roman history yet it seems to contain as much subjective opinion as historical facts.
1. Discuss why Sallust's book might be mere propaganda for the Roman government. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Debate the following statement: History should contain only facts not opinions or propaganda.
3. How much propaganda do you think is taught in history classes in the present time? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)