|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallust say is Metellus's primary character trait?
2. What does Jugurtha do to Hiempsal?
3. To what office do the Roman people elect Quintin Metellus?
4. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
5. How does Sallust present the Roman army in the beginning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jugurtha decide to do after he agrees to surrender to Metellus?
2. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
3. How does the Roman public react to Marius and Metellus's falling out?
4. What does Marius do when he is in Numidia?
5. What does Sallust say about man's intellectual ability and fate?
6. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
7. What happens as fear spreads through Numidia?
8. What type of government does Sallust say could solve the problems but what happens when that is attempted?
9. What does Metellus do with Bohumilcar?
10. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jugurtha's actions end up bringing the corruption in the Roman government to light and proves to be the initial impetus for eliminating some of that corruption.
1. In view of the brutalities and crimes Jugurtha committed do you think the ultimate outcome in the Roman government was worth it? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Sallust seems to present Jugurtha in a positive manner and might even admire him. How do you think Sallust's portrayal of Jugurtha would have changed if the changes Sallust wanted had not been a result of Jugurtha's actions?
3. Explain why the following saying relates to the first sentence: The end justifies the means.
Essay Topic 2
Sallust binds the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure. In a dictatorship such of that of Sylla's and the government Catiline is trying to enforce, acting quickly does not work. Democratic leadership, Sallust says, is more apt to have success with quick decisions.
1. Explain why Sallust does not consider a dictatorship a sound political structure. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the difference and similarities between a dictatorship and a democracy government.
3. What do you think is meant by Sallust binding the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust presents the Roman army as ill-disciplined brutes. They buy everything instead of making it and live a luxurious life that is not conducive to being men of war.
1. Explain in detail why you think Sallust's evaluation of how soldiers should live is correct or wrong. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in detail the moral implications of the politicians who send soldiers to war living at a much higher standard than the soldiers. Include in your discussion if you believe the disparity between soldiers' lives and politicians lives make it easier for politicians to use soldiers.
3. Military personnel in America receive fairly low compensation for their jobs although in peacetime the benefits and compensation may seem adequate, when faced with combat, it might seem too little. Discuss what you think is a fair wage for combat soldiers and what they should receive as veterans.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)