|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jugurtha send his best men to Zama?
2. To what office do the Roman people elect Quintin Metellus?
3. How does Sallust present the Roman army in the beginning?
4. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
5. How did the Africans under Micipas view Jugurtha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
2. How does the Senate respond to Jugurtha's action towards Adherbal?
3. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
4. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
5. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
6. What does Sallust say is the reason he is writing The Jugurthine War book?
7. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave Numidia?
8. What does the Senate tell Jugurtha he must do about Adherbal and what is Jugurtha's response?
9. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
10. What does Jugurtha tell his army and what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Jugurthine War is presented by Sallust as an historical account of two events in Roman history yet it seems to contain as much subjective opinion as historical facts.
1. Discuss why Sallust's book might be mere propaganda for the Roman government. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Debate the following statement: History should contain only facts not opinions or propaganda.
3. How much propaganda do you think is taught in history classes in the present time? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sallust describes Metellus as an honorable man, who Jurgurtha has no chance to persuade with the lure of gold. Metullus bribes Bohumilcar to bring him Jurgurtha offering him a pardon for murder.
1. Though Metellus is touted as an honorable man by Sallust he offers a pardon for murder to get Bohumilcar. Discuss how this behavior conflicts with the concept of an honorable man.
2. Discuss, in detail, what you believe being an honorable man might mean in present day American society.
3. Discuss a situation in your own life where either honor or dishonor made a situation better or worse.
Essay Topic 3
Sallust binds the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure. In a dictatorship such of that of Sylla's and the government Catiline is trying to enforce, acting quickly does not work. Democratic leadership, Sallust says, is more apt to have success with quick decisions.
1. Explain why Sallust does not consider a dictatorship a sound political structure. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the difference and similarities between a dictatorship and a democracy government.
3. What do you think is meant by Sallust binding the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)