|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catiline plan to do eventually in Rome?
2. How do the people in the Senate feel towards Catiline when he enters the Senate?
3. What does Catiline do after he leaves the Senate?
4. What does Sallust say the prince's way of life promoted?
5. Where does Petreius attack Catiline after his initial attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What and where is Manilos doing?
2. What does Catiline deliver to his men, what do they ask him and what is his response?
3. What does Sallust speculate about Piso's murder?
4. What does Cicero do with some of the conspirators and what is their ultimate fate? Who argues for their fate?
5. What does Cathegus say he will do about Cicero?
6. Why was there a public voting for another consul?
7. Where is Catiline going with his army and what does Antonio do about it?
8. What does Quinton Metellus do about Catiline's army and what kind of situation does that make for Catiline?
9. Who does Catiline attempt to recruit for allies and how do they respond?
10. What did Catiline do before he was married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What do you think can account for the discrepancy between Sallust's opinions and experiences and recorded history?
2. Who writes history? Are historical records always accurate, mostly accurate, or slightly accurate? How can we know how accurate an historical record is?
3. What are some reasons history has been inadvertently recorded inaccurately? What are some reasons history has been recorded inaccurately intentionally?
4. Do you think it is ever justified to record an event inaccurately? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jugurtha motivates his troops by saying they have conquered the Romans before and they will do it again. He says they are at an advantage because they know the land.
1. Why do you think Jugurtha appeals to his troops history with the Romans in order to motivate them? Does the fact that the Romans are in control of Numidia negate his argument? How does it affect what Jugurtha says to his troops about fighting the Romans?
2. Discuss why Jugurtha troops knowing the land will be an advantage over the Roman troops. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Speeches before battle is a type of manipulation. If one can appeal to the emotions of soldiers they will be more likely to be willing to die for their leader. How do you think this type of manipulation can be used or is used in modern armies?
Essay Topic 3
Sallust binds the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure. In a dictatorship such of that of Sylla's and the government Catiline is trying to enforce, acting quickly does not work. Democratic leadership, Sallust says, is more apt to have success with quick decisions.
1. Explain why Sallust does not consider a dictatorship a sound political structure. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the difference and similarities between a dictatorship and a democracy government.
3. What do you think is meant by Sallust binding the theme of acting quickly with a sound political structure.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)