|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manilos doing in Etrupia?
2. What does Cicero ask the Allobroges to do?
3. What does Catiline do when he realizes he is overpowered?
4. How does Catiline finally die?
5. What does Cato say about the fate of the traitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Senate hear about Manilus and how does it affect Rome?
2. What happens when Cicero takes the conspirators to the Senate?
3. What does Cathegus say he will do about Cicero?
4. What does Catiline do after going to the Senate and how does he hide his intentions?
5. What does Catiline deliver to his men, what do they ask him and what is his response?
6. What does Quinton Metellus do about Catiline's army and what kind of situation does that make for Catiline?
7. Where is Catiline going with his army and what does Antonio do about it?
8. What did Catiline do before he was married?
9. Why did the Romans have to defend their borders and what did they do after they were successful in that?
10. Who does Catiline plan to assassinate and how does Fulvia find out about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sallust said that wise leaders who could recognize people as individuals and bring them together through a shared love of their nation, built the original Roman society.
1. Why do you think Sallust thought the leaders were wise in the early days of the empire? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss why love of a nation might bind a people together better than greed or love of power.
3. Discuss what the leaders of America might be able to learn from the early leadership of Rome and how they might be able to implement similar leadership.
Essay Topic 2
Sallust claims Catiline looked mostly to capture the minds and support of youngsters, buying them gifts and sending them mistresses.
1. Why do you think Catiline tried to get the young people on his side? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. In Germany when Hitler began his Nazi campaign it was the young people he targeted. Discuss how this relates to Catiline.
3. Do you think all young people could be brought with gifts? What kind of young person do you think could not be bribed? Discuss what you think of the character of someone who can be bribed to follow someone?
Essay Topic 3
Catiline thinks the best way forward is through war. He sends his best men to various parts of Europe with the view of burning Rome when the time is right. He tells his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times.
1. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with Catiline's idea of the use of war. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Catiline wants to conquer Rome yet plans to burn it. Does this sound sane to you? Why or why not? Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Catiline has told all of his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times. Discuss the similarities and differences between his beliefs and behaviors and the terrorists of the present. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)