Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catiline say he will do if he is head of the government?
2. What do the people in question #55 do after Catiline leaves them?
3. What does Sallust say allowed Catiline to increase his power?
4. What does Catiline plan to do with Lucius Cotta and Lucius Torquatus?
5. How do the people in question #55 respond to Catiline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
2. Who does Catiline attract people to his cause and what kind of people does he attract?
3. What and where is Manilos doing?
4. Describe the circumstances surrounding Hiempsal's death?
5. How does Jugurtha take care of Annuis?
6. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
7. What does Sallust say happened because the society was fragile that led to the end of the society?
8. How does Sallust's disgust for greed relate to what Catiline said he wanted to do?
9. What does Cicero know of Manilos and what does he do about it? What is he told to do about it?
10. What does the senate decide to do about Numidia?
Essay Topic 1
1. What do you think can account for the discrepancy between Sallust's opinions and experiences and recorded history?
2. Who writes history? Are historical records always accurate, mostly accurate, or slightly accurate? How can we know how accurate an historical record is?
3. What are some reasons history has been inadvertently recorded inaccurately? What are some reasons history has been recorded inaccurately intentionally?
4. Do you think it is ever justified to record an event inaccurately? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Catiline thinks the best way forward is through war. He sends his best men to various parts of Europe with the view of burning Rome when the time is right. He tells his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times.
1. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with Catiline's idea of the use of war. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Catiline wants to conquer Rome yet plans to burn it. Does this sound sane to you? Why or why not? Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Catiline has told all of his followers to carry weapons and be ready for battle at all times. Discuss the similarities and differences between his beliefs and behaviors and the terrorists of the present. Include in your discussion examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Men joined the army where they aimed to earn renown as a hero. At that time, money and power were more in the background. He states that the Romans do not have greater literature because their people did not want to record merits but wanted their own merits celebrated.
1. There are many reasons why one might join an army. Discuss at least four reasons and whether you believe those are better reasons than to join it for fame.
2. Discuss why Sallust thinks self-aggrandizing has interfered with greater literature being produced.
3. Sallust states that money and power were more in the background at the time as far as what people wanted. Discuss why it is possible that money and power follow fame and admiration.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)