|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what type of family was Catiline born?
(b) Slave family.
(d) A family from another country.
2. Why was the early Roman society morally sound?
(a) An oppressive government.
(b) It was healthier.
(c) A repressive religion.
(d) Natural inclination.
3. What does Cathegus think is the best way to forward the conspiracy?
(a) Work covertly behind the scenes.
(b) Kill the entire Senate.
(c) Follow Catiline to France.
(d) Immediate action.
4. What does Petreius do after Catiline starts to attack?
(a) Changes his strategy.
(b) He does nothing but contine as he was.
(c) Calls for Catiline's surrender.
(d) Sends in an assassin for Catiline.
5. Why did Sallust become a writer?
(a) He was too old to do anything else.
(b) He wanted to stir up the people.
(c) He wanted to make Catiline famous.
(d) He did not want to waste his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Sallust say the mind is needed in war?
2. What does Antonio do before the battle with Catiline?
3. What does Catiline think is the best way to advance one's ambitions?
4. How does Sallust feel about the answer to question #35?
5. What does Catiline promise the Senate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cicero know of Manilos and what does he do about it? What is he told to do about it?
2. What did Cicero do when he uncovered Catiline's plans and how did this stymie Cataline's plans?
3. What surprises Petreius about Catiline and what is his response?
4. Who reads a letter from Catiline to the Senate, what does the letter say and what is the Senate's reaction to it?
5. What happens when Cicero takes the conspirators to the Senate?
6. What does Cicero ask of the Gauls and why?
7. What does Sallust speculate about Piso's murder?
8. What did Catiline do before he was married?
9. What does Cicero do with some of the conspirators and what is their ultimate fate? Who argues for their fate?
10. What do Catiline's followers want to do with Cicero?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)