|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the men who have been arrested by the Senate when they are taken from the Senate?
(a) They are strangled.
(b) They are exiled.
(c) Some are set free, some are hanged.
(d) They are imprisoned.
2. What troops does the Senate send out?
(a) Octavio and his troops.
(b) Cicero and his troops.
(c) The Senate guard.
(d) Antonio and his troops.
3. What does Catiline promise the Senate?
(a) To sow seeds of discontent.
(b) To support it.
(c) To become head of it.
(d) To burn it down.
4. What does Catiline do when he realizes he is overpowered?
(a) He slips away to France.
(b) He surrenders his army.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He charges to the front.
5. What does Antonio do before the battle with Catiline?
(a) Hand command over to Petreius.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Meet with his commanders.
(d) Give a speech to the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catiline prepare his soldiers for battle?
2. How did Catiline's constituency end up the way it did?
3. Why did the government become unsupportable?
4. What does Sallust say allowed Catiline to increase his power?
5. Sallust claims his writing is not totally accurate because of this.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cicero ask of the Gauls and why?
2. What is Catiline's only choice for his army? Who takes over Antonio's army and why? What does he do with the army before they fight?
3. What does the Senate have Metellus do after he is elected and how does Sallust describe Metellus?
4. How does Rome feel about Metellus's encounters with Jugurtha and what is Metellus's response to this?
5. How does Sallust's disgust for greed relate to what Catiline said he wanted to do?
6. What does Sallust say about man's intellectual ability and fate?
7. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
8. What do Catiline's followers want to do with Cicero?
9. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave Numidia?
10. What does Cathegus say he will do about Cicero?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)