|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of investigation begins in Rome after Annuis returns?
(a) One that finds out what happened to Adherbal.
(b) An investigation into the corruption among nobles.
(c) No investigation takes place.
(d) They investigate what the people of Numidia want.
2. With whom does Jugurtha make friends when he is fighting for Micipas?
(a) Some prominent Romans.
(b) Micipas's sons.
(d) Julius Caesar.
3. Why does Jugurtha bribe Romans?
(a) To get a seat in the Senate.
(b) To build his popularity.
(c) To get an army.
(d) To get his brother arrested.
4. What does the Senate decide to do about Adherbal's request?
(a) To arrest Jugurtha.
(b) Divide Numidia between him and Jugurtha.
(c) To send a Roman governor to Numidia.
(d) To investigate Micipas's decree.
5. What does Publius Scipio tell Jugurtha?
(a) He is not Roman so he is not subject to their laws.
(b) Trying to get power illegally will ruin him.
(c) He should run for a Senate position.
(d) He can help Jugurtha become rich.
6. Why does Memmuis stir up the public?
(a) He is planning to run for office.
(b) He wants money.
(c) He has little trust of nobles.
(d) He is being paid to do it.
7. What does Memmuis do about Jugurtha?
(a) Praises Jugurtha's arrest.
(b) Becomes the new king of Numidia.
(c) Embarrasses the Senate into a response.
(d) Prosecutes Jugurtha when he is brought back to Rome.
8. What does Adherbal first do in response to Jugurtha burning villages in his territory?
(a) Kills Jugurtha.
(b) Gives Jugurtha the territory he has burned.
(c) Declares war.
(d) Sends ambassadors.
9. What kind of welcome does the public give Metellus when he returns to Rome?
(a) He is just considered as someone who has done his job.
(b) There are angry mobs and riots upon his return.
(c) A hero's welcome.
(d) They are indifferent to his return.
10. What does Jugurtha do against Metellus's army?
(a) Small ambushes.
(b) Attacks the entire army.
(c) Tries to subvert it from within.
(d) Runs from it.
11. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
(a) He immediately goes to Turkey.
(b) Offers his surrender.
(c) Prepares to fight him.
(d) Offers him a bribe.
12. What does Sallust say men are obsessed by which controls their lives?
(d) Material items.
13. How does Metellus feel about Marius becoming a consul?
(a) He is delighted with the idea.
(b) He has no opinion.
(c) He thinks he is too young.
(d) He does not have a high enough standing.
14. What does Jugurtha tell Annius he wants to do?
(a) Rule Numidia in peace.
(b) Take over Rome.
(c) Marry his sister.
15. How are people reaching powerful positions?
(a) Through unlawful means.
(b) With hard work.
(c) By inheriting the position.
(d) By putting in a large number of years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metellus do with his soldiers when he retreats?
2. What does Marius do after the elections?
3. What does Sallust say is the problem with how the Roman army lives?
4. Why does Jugurtha send his best men to Zama?
5. What does Metellus tell Jugurtha he must hand over before peace talks can commence?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)