|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marius do after the elections?
(a) Gather an army and head to Numidia.
(b) Resign from public life.
(c) Go after Metellus.
(d) Take his place in the Senate.
2. What type of public positions, according to Sallust, are not desired by public servants?
(a) Those that are high paying.
(b) Those that are low paying.
(c) Those that require intelligence.
(d) Those that are dangerous.
3. What does Sallust say is Metellus's primary character trait?
(c) He's immoral.
4. Where does Micipas send Jugurtha to fight?
(a) Numantine War.
(b) To southern Africa.
(c) To Rome.
(d) To Spain.
5. How does Sallust present the Roman army in the beginning?
(a) As an undisciplined army of brutes.
(b) As brutal and incompetent.
(c) As a precise professional force.
(d) As well meaning but ineffectual.
6. What did Jugurtha oppose in Roman society?
(a) Roman conquering other countries.
(b) Roman nobility.
(c) Roman attitude towards women.
(d) Roman morals.
7. Why does the Senate send Calpurnius to Numidia?
(a) To take over the country.
(b) To set up a trial for Jugurtha.
(c) To kill Jugurtha.
(d) To arrest Jugurtha.
8. What was Jugurtha's relationship to Micipas?
9. Where does Metellus leave his prisoners and his baggage?
10. What does Adherbal first do in response to Jugurtha burning villages in his territory?
(a) Sends ambassadors.
(b) Gives Jugurtha the territory he has burned.
(c) Kills Jugurtha.
(d) Declares war.
11. What does Jugurtha do after Annuis' officers leave their posts?
(a) Burn down Suthul.
(b) Surrender himself.
(c) Surround Annuis.
(d) Leaves for his capiol.
12. What does Jugurtha do to Hiempsal?
(a) Have him assassinated.
(b) Set him up as the head of the government.
(c) Send him to the Roman Senate.
13. Why does Jugurtha bribe Romans?
(a) To get his brother arrested.
(b) To get an army.
(c) To get a seat in the Senate.
(d) To build his popularity.
14. What does Jugurtha think the Romans are likely to do with him?
(a) Make him pay for all his damages.
(b) Take away his position.
(c) Put him in prison.
(d) Execute him or enslave him.
15. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
(a) He immediately goes to Turkey.
(b) Offers him a bribe.
(c) Prepares to fight him.
(d) Offers his surrender.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jugurtha ask of King Bocchus?
2. What does Sallust say men are obsessed by which controls their lives?
3. What does Sallust say about men's lives and fate in Chapter I-XII?
4. Who does the Roman public favor in the next consul election?
5. What does Memmuis do about Jugurtha?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)