|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jugurtha do to Adherbal?
(a) Cripples him.
(b) Tortures him to death.
(c) Run him completely out of Numidia.
(d) Has him assassinated.
2. Where does Marius retreat to when attacked by Jugurtha?
(a) To Cirta.
(b) To Rome.
(c) To Thala.
(d) To the hills.
3. Who does the majority of the people support in the Jugurthine War?
4. When does Marius decide to attack Jugurtha?
(a) After Jugurtha returns to Zama.
(b) When Jugurtha makes a run for Gaul.
(c) After resting for a week.
(d) When his troops are asleep.
5. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave?
(a) Return home.
(b) Send more money for bribes to Rome.
(c) Increase his attack on Adherbal.
(d) Offers a peace treaty to Adherbal.
6. Who does the Senate send to speak with Jugurtha?
(c) Marcus Scaurus.
(d) Julius Caesar.
7. How did the Africans under Micipas view Jugurtha?
(a) He was feared.
(b) He was not known.
(c) He was very popular.
(d) He was hated.
8. With whom does Jugurtha make friends when he is fighting for Micipas?
(a) Some prominent Romans.
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) Micipas's sons.
9. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
(a) He immediately goes to Turkey.
(b) Offers him a bribe.
(c) Offers his surrender.
(d) Prepares to fight him.
10. What does Rome's feelings about Metellus motivate him to do?
(a) Withdraw back to Rome.
(b) Keep attacking Jugurtha.
(c) Plan for Jugurtha's assassination.
(d) Ask for more money.
11. What does Sallust say is the problem with how the Roman army lives?
(a) It is too luxurious for fighting men.
(b) They are too poor.
(c) It is too austere.
(d) They live well, but not too well.
12. What does the Senate give Metellus after he is elected?
(a) Head of the civil service.
(c) The province of Gaul.
(d) Head of a powerful Senate committee.
13. What type of public positions, according to Sallust, are not desired by public servants?
(a) Those that are low paying.
(b) Those that are dangerous.
(c) Those that are high paying.
(d) Those that require intelligence.
14. Why does Memmuis send Lucius Cassius to Numidia?
(a) To bring Jugurtha to Rome.
(b) To investigate Calpurnius.
(c) To kill Jugurtha.
(d) To take over Numidia.
15. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
(a) As part of Europe.
(b) As being peopled by immoral societies.
(c) As being owned by Rome.
(d) As a barbarian continent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metellus realize about Zama?
2. Who does the Roman public favor in the next consul election?
3. Where does Metellus leave his prisoners and his baggage?
4. What does Jugurtha do once the Senate has made its decision on Numidia?
5. How are people reaching powerful positions?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)