|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jugurtha do when he hears of Metellus's character?
(a) He immediately goes to Turkey.
(b) Offers him a bribe.
(c) Offers his surrender.
(d) Prepares to fight him.
2. What does Jugurtha tell his troops are one of their main advantages against the Romans?
(a) They are larger men.
(b) They know the land.
(c) They have better weapons.
(d) They are fighting for their civil rights.
3. Where does Metellus leave his prisoners and his baggage?
4. What does the Senate do in response to Jugurtha's behavior towards Adherbal?
(a) Bring him back to Rome.
(b) Ignore his behavior.
(c) Send a new king to Numidia.
(d) Arrest him.
5. What does Sallust say about men's lives and fate in Chapter I-XII?
(a) Fate does not exist.
(b) Nothing can overcome fate.
(c) Too many men allow fate to control their lives.
(d) Fate is in the hands of the Gods.
6. When do Annuis' officers leave their posts?
(a) After Suthul is secured.
(b) At a signal from Jugurtha.
(c) Before the night falls.
(d) When Jugurtha is in chains.
7. Why did the society of the Libyans and the Getulians change?
(a) They started fighting with each other.
(b) They united under one leader.
(c) The Persians move into the area.
(d) Rome took it over.
8. What does Sallust say men are obsessed by which controls their lives?
(a) Material items.
9. What does Sallust say people should not do if the government is corrupt?
(a) Start peaceful rebellions.
(b) Use violence.
(c) Vote in the next election.
(d) Give any money to the tax collectors.
10. What does Jugurtha tell the Roman representatives who come to check on the situation in Numidia?
(a) Adherbal started the war.
(b) He does not intend to dishonor the Senate.
(c) He wants to settle with Adherbal.
(d) He will do whatever he wants.
11. What does Sallust say is the problem with how the Roman army lives?
(a) They live well, but not too well.
(b) It is too luxurious for fighting men.
(c) It is too austere.
(d) They are too poor.
12. Who does the Roman public favor in the next consul election?
13. Why does Memmuis send Lucius Cassius to Numidia?
(a) To take over Numidia.
(b) To investigate Calpurnius.
(c) To bring Jugurtha to Rome.
(d) To kill Jugurtha.
14. Why does Adherbal deliver a speech to the Senate?
(a) To ask for help to defeat Jugurtha.
(b) To warn them about Micipas.
(c) To raise money.
(d) To ask for Jugurtha's arrest.
15. What does Jugurtha do once the Senate has made its decision on Numidia?
(a) Provokes Adherbal into a war.
(b) Kills some of the Senators who opposed him.
(c) Assassinates Adherbal.
(d) Happily settles down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Senate give Metellus after he is elected?
2. What does Jugurtha ask of King Bocchus?
3. What does Jugurtha figure out about Romans and wealth?
4. What does Adherbal manage to do when he is caught in Cirta?
5. How does Metellus feel about Marius becoming a consul?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)