|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sallust say is the problem with how the Roman army lives?
(a) It is too austere.
(b) They live well, but not too well.
(c) They are too poor.
(d) It is too luxurious for fighting men.
2. What does Sallust say people should not do if the government is corrupt?
(a) Use violence.
(b) Start peaceful rebellions.
(c) Give any money to the tax collectors.
(d) Vote in the next election.
3. What does Adherbal manage to do when he is caught in Cirta?
(a) Deliver a message to Rome.
(b) Repel Jugurtha's attack.
(c) Get to Rome himself.
(d) Kill Jugurtha.
4. What does Adherbal first do in response to Jugurtha burning villages in his territory?
(a) Kills Jugurtha.
(b) Sends ambassadors.
(c) Declares war.
(d) Gives Jugurtha the territory he has burned.
5. What was Jugurtha's relationship to Micipas?
6. What does Sallust say men are obsessed by which controls their lives?
(a) Material items.
7. Why does the Senate send Calpurnius to Numidia?
(a) To arrest Jugurtha.
(b) To set up a trial for Jugurtha.
(c) To kill Jugurtha.
(d) To take over the country.
8. How does Jugurtha motivate his troops to fight against the Romans?
(a) By reminding them they have conquered the Romans before.
(b) By threatening their families.
(c) By appealing to their anger.
(d) By offering high pay.
9. When does Marius decide to attack Jugurtha?
(a) After Jugurtha returns to Zama.
(b) After resting for a week.
(c) When his troops are asleep.
(d) When Jugurtha makes a run for Gaul.
10. Why don't the Roman representatives get to speak to Adherbal?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He refuses to see them.
(c) He is trapped in Cirta.
(d) He has returned to Rome.
11. What does Marius do after the elections?
(a) Gather an army and head to Numidia.
(b) Go after Metellus.
(c) Take his place in the Senate.
(d) Resign from public life.
12. How does Jugurtha get a better deal from the Senate?
(a) Blackmails some powerful members.
(b) Increases his bribes.
(c) Gives a more passionate speech.
(d) Marries the emperor's daughter.
13. Where does Marius retreat to when attacked by Jugurtha?
(a) To Thala.
(b) To Rome.
(c) To the hills.
(d) To Cirta.
14. To where does Adherbal escape with his soldiers?
15. What does the Senate tell Adherbal to do after their representative in question #127 returns?
(a) They don't tell him anything.
(b) To come to Rome.
(c) To resign Cirta and talk to Jugurtha.
(d) To hand over all the territory to Jugurtha.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallust say about men's lives and fate in Chapter I-XII?
2. Where does Metellus leave his prisoners and his baggage?
3. What does Memmuis do about Jugurtha?
4. What kind of welcome does the public give Metellus when he returns to Rome?
5. Who does the majority of the people support in the Jugurthine War?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)