|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sallust say he is writing this book?
(a) He wants to be famous.
(b) Because he was told to by the Senate.
(c) Because Jugurtha had a great effect on Roman society.
(d) Because he wants to make some money.
2. Why does Adherbal deliver a speech to the Senate?
(a) To raise money.
(b) To ask for help to defeat Jugurtha.
(c) To warn them about Micipas.
(d) To ask for Jugurtha's arrest.
3. What does Lucius Annius do about Jugurtha?
(a) Kills Bomilcar.
(b) Marches an army into Suthul.
(c) Joins up with him.
(d) Kills him.
4. What does Metellus realize about Zama?
(a) He cannot defeat Jugurtha without capturing Zama.
(b) He must take the city.
(c) Jugurtha has a lot of money stashed there.
(d) He will be unable to capture that city.
5. What did Jugurtha oppose in Roman society?
(a) Roman nobility.
(b) Roman morals.
(c) Roman conquering other countries.
(d) Roman attitude towards women.
6. When do Annuis' officers leave their posts?
(a) Before the night falls.
(b) After Suthul is secured.
(c) When Jugurtha is in chains.
(d) At a signal from Jugurtha.
7. What does Adherbal do before he battles with Jugurtha?
(a) Send ambassadors to Rome.
(b) Calls on Micipas for help.
(c) Poisons Jugurtha.
8. What does Jugurtha do against Metellus's army?
(a) Runs from it.
(b) Small ambushes.
(c) Tries to subvert it from within.
(d) Attacks the entire army.
9. What does Sallust say is the problem with how the Roman army lives?
(a) It is too luxurious for fighting men.
(b) They live well, but not too well.
(c) It is too austere.
(d) They are too poor.
10. What does Metellus do with his soldiers when he retreats?
(a) Has them scrounge the countryside.
(b) Allows them to rest.
(c) Begins to drill them even harder.
(d) Sends them back to Rome.
11. To what office do the Roman people elect Quintin Metellus?
12. What does Jugurtha begin to do after he decides not to surrender?
(a) Assassinate Metellus.
(b) Run to Gaul
(c) Try to hide in Numidia.
(d) Build an army.
13. When does Marius decide to attack Jugurtha?
(a) After resting for a week.
(b) When his troops are asleep.
(c) After Jugurtha returns to Zama.
(d) When Jugurtha makes a run for Gaul.
14. What does Marius do after the elections?
(a) Resign from public life.
(b) Go after Metellus.
(c) Take his place in the Senate.
(d) Gather an army and head to Numidia.
15. What type of investigation begins in Rome after Annuis returns?
(a) An investigation into the corruption among nobles.
(b) They investigate what the people of Numidia want.
(c) One that finds out what happened to Adherbal.
(d) No investigation takes place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metellus offer Bohumilcar as a bribe?
2. What does Jugurtha figure out about Romans and wealth?
3. What does Sallust say men are obsessed by which controls their lives?
4. What type of public positions, according to Sallust, are not desired by public servants?
5. What does Rome's feelings about Metellus motivate him to do?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)