|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucius Annius do about Jugurtha?
(a) Joins up with him.
(b) Kills him.
(c) Kills Bomilcar.
(d) Marches an army into Suthul.
2. How does Sallust present the Roman army in the beginning?
(a) As an undisciplined army of brutes.
(b) As a precise professional force.
(c) As well meaning but ineffectual.
(d) As brutal and incompetent.
3. What do Jugurtha's troops do after Marius retreats?
(a) Fortify their position.
(b) Harass him through the night.
(c) Follow him.
4. What does Annuis finally do after speaking with Jugurtha?
(a) Noting, Jugurtha kills him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Arrest Jugurtha.
(d) Return to Rome.
5. What does Jugurtha tell the Roman representatives who come to check on the situation in Numidia?
(a) He does not intend to dishonor the Senate.
(b) Adherbal started the war.
(c) He wants to settle with Adherbal.
(d) He will do whatever he wants.
6. What does Sallust say about men's lives and fate in Chapter I-XII?
(a) Nothing can overcome fate.
(b) Fate is in the hands of the Gods.
(c) Fate does not exist.
(d) Too many men allow fate to control their lives.
7. What does Jugurtha do after Annuis' officers leave their posts?
(a) Leaves for his capiol.
(b) Burn down Suthul.
(c) Surrender himself.
(d) Surround Annuis.
8. What does Adherbal manage to do when he is caught in Cirta?
(a) Repel Jugurtha's attack.
(b) Get to Rome himself.
(c) Kill Jugurtha.
(d) Deliver a message to Rome.
9. What does Sallust say men are obsessed by which controls their lives?
(c) Material items.
10. Who does the Senate send to speak with Jugurtha?
(b) Marcus Scaurus.
(d) Julius Caesar.
11. Who does the Roman public favor in the next consul election?
12. What plan of Marius does Metellus scupper?
(a) Becoming a general.
(b) Ruling Numidia.
(c) Being elected to the Senate.
(d) Becoming a consul.
13. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
(a) As being peopled by immoral societies.
(b) As a barbarian continent.
(c) As being owned by Rome.
(d) As part of Europe.
14. What does the Senate do after the affair with Annuis?
(b) Send Albiuis to Numidia.
(c) Send Antonio to Numidia.
(d) Tell Jugurtha to return once again to Rome.
15. What type of public positions, according to Sallust, are not desired by public servants?
(a) Those that require intelligence.
(b) Those that are dangerous.
(c) Those that are high paying.
(d) Those that are low paying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marius retreat to when attacked by Jugurtha?
2. What does Jugurtha tell Annius he wants to do?
3. How does Rome feel about what Metellus is doing?
4. What does Metellus realize about Zama?
5. What does Jugurtha do once the Senate has made its decision on Numidia?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)