|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sallust say is how Europeans view Africa?
(a) As being peopled by immoral societies.
(b) As a barbarian continent.
(c) As being owned by Rome.
(d) As part of Europe.
2. What plan of Marius does Metellus scupper?
(a) Becoming a consul.
(b) Becoming a general.
(c) Being elected to the Senate.
(d) Ruling Numidia.
3. What does Marius do after the elections?
(a) Resign from public life.
(b) Gather an army and head to Numidia.
(c) Take his place in the Senate.
(d) Go after Metellus.
4. What does Metellus do about Vacca?
(a) Burns it to the ground.
(b) Takes the city back.
(c) Appoint Marius as governor.
(d) Make all the citizens slaves.
5. What does Jugurtha think the Romans are likely to do with him?
(a) Put him in prison.
(b) Make him pay for all his damages.
(c) Take away his position.
(d) Execute him or enslave him.
6. What does Rome's feelings about Metellus motivate him to do?
(a) Ask for more money.
(b) Plan for Jugurtha's assassination.
(c) Withdraw back to Rome.
(d) Keep attacking Jugurtha.
7. What type of government does Sallust say could bring about a change?
8. What does Adherbal first do in response to Jugurtha burning villages in his territory?
(a) Sends ambassadors.
(b) Gives Jugurtha the territory he has burned.
(c) Declares war.
(d) Kills Jugurtha.
9. What does Jugurtha do with his army?
(a) Take over complete control of his brother's territory.
(b) Kill Micipas.
(c) Take over a portion of Numidia.
(d) Invade Rome.
10. What does Jugurtha do to Adherbal?
(a) Cripples him.
(b) Tortures him to death.
(c) Has him assassinated.
(d) Run him completely out of Numidia.
11. What does Jugurtha do once the Senate has made its decision on Numidia?
(a) Assassinates Adherbal.
(b) Kills some of the Senators who opposed him.
(c) Provokes Adherbal into a war.
(d) Happily settles down.
12. What does Jugurtha ask of King Bocchus?
(a) To attack Rome with him.
(b) To fight the Romans with him.
(c) To hide him from Metellus.
(d) To attack Marius.
13. How does Jugurtha motivate his troops to fight against the Romans?
(a) By appealing to their anger.
(b) By threatening their families.
(c) By offering high pay.
(d) By reminding them they have conquered the Romans before.
14. What type of public positions, according to Sallust, are not desired by public servants?
(a) Those that are dangerous.
(b) Those that are low paying.
(c) Those that require intelligence.
(d) Those that are high paying.
15. What does the Senate give Metellus after he is elected?
(a) Head of a powerful Senate committee.
(b) The province of Gaul.
(c) Head of the civil service.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Metellus feel about Marius becoming a consul?
2. Who does the majority of the people support in the Jugurthine War?
3. What does the Senate do after the affair with Annuis?
4. What does Sallust say is Metellus's primary character trait?
5. Where does Marius retreat to when attacked by Jugurtha?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)