|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Corps name the eastern fork?
2. What kind of meat does Clark say he has grown fond of?
3. What Indians does the Corps meet in this chapter?
4. What do the men buy from the Indians in this chapter?
5. What does the Indian want to steal from Private McNeal in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems do the Wahclellahs Indians cause the party in Chapter 19?
2. Describe the visit to the Indian village in Chapter 15.
3. Why does the Corps feel such great joy in Chapter 17 when it reaches the ocean?
4. How do the captains communicate to the Indians in Chapter 16?
5. What problems do the men endure as they make their way across the Bitterroot Mountains?
6. How do the captains divide the party on July the 1st in Chapter 22?
7. What does Clark give Yellept in exchange for his horse?
8. Describe the journey back home.
9. Why does Clark name the sandstone structure Pompy's Tower?
10. What do the captains name the three forks of the Missouri River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the punishment and discipline used in the book to keep the Corps in order.
1) Why was so important to keep the Corps disciplined?
2) In what way do Lewis and Clark set a good a example for the men?
3) Why are none of the punished men asked to leave the Corps?
Essay Topic 2
What were the main concerns in America during the early 1800s. How are these concerns expressed in the journals?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and outline either Clark or Lewis' thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think the captain you have chosen is right or wrong.
1) The motives of the French Traders
2) Making peace with the Indians
3) The American Indian's way of life
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)