|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pryor have to lead the horses to?
2. Which of the following words does Lewis use to describe the Shoshone Indians?
3. What does the party decide to sell to Indians in this chapter?
4. Who suffers from a bad cold in this chapter?
5. What river does Lewis explore in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the problems the party has have with Indians in Chapter 22.
2. What does Clark tell the Pawnee and Teton tribes in Chapter 24?
3. Describe the journey back home.
4. How does Sacagawea surprise Lewis in Chapter 13?
5. How does Clark save the woman in Chapter 18?
6. How do the Indians greet the party in Chapter 14?
7. How do the captains divide the party on July the 1st in Chapter 22?
8. What does Clark give Yellept in exchange for his horse?
9. Why does the Corps feel such great joy in Chapter 17 when it reaches the ocean?
10. How do the men spend their time at Fort Clapsop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does the group encounter during its journey? How does it manage to get over its problems? How does it learn from its mistakes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
Essay Topic 3
1) In what way is trading an important part of Indian culture?
2) What involvement did the French have in Indian trading?
3) How did the Corps use the American Indians' love of trading to their advantage?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)