|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the natives have to leave the fortification?
2. What are the Corps able to bathe in at the end of the chapter?
3. What Indians does the Corps meet in this chapter?
4. What is Lewis unable to do because he is feeling so sick?
5. What does the Corps name the eastern fork?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the captains devise to make their journey across the mountain easier?
2. Describe the problems the party has have with Indians in Chapter 22.
3. What vow does the party break in Chapter 16?
4. What problems does the party have getting across the water?
5. Describe the journey back home.
6. How does Clark save the woman in Chapter 18?
7. Why does the Corps feel such great joy in Chapter 17 when it reaches the ocean?
8. How does Yellept help the Corps in Chapter 20?
9. How does Sacagawea surprise Lewis in Chapter 13?
10. What do the captains name the three forks of the Missouri River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the Indian tribes Lewis and Clark encounter and examine its culture within the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the animals the Corps encounters in the book and examine it in terms of the following:
3) Survival skills
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)