|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal skin do the Indians offer to trade with the Corps?
2. Which of the following words does Lewis use to describe the Shoshone Indians?
3. Which European language can the Indians communicate in?
4. What causes the the camp to feel great joy?
5. What are the Corps able to bathe in at the end of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the Indian tribes Lewis and Clark encounter and examine its culture within the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and outline either Clark or Lewis' thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think the captain you have chosen is right or wrong.
1) The motives of the French Traders
2) Making peace with the Indians
3) The American Indian's way of life
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)