|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of following is not an Indian language?
2. What does the party decide to sell to Indians in this chapter?
3. Who is the chief of the Wallawalla tribe?
4. Where does the corps camp in this chapter?
5. What does the Corps name the eastern fork?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visit to the Indian village in Chapter 15.
2. How does Clark relieve the horses' pain?
3. How do the captains divide the party on July the 1st in Chapter 22?
4. Why does the Corps feel such great joy in Chapter 17 when it reaches the ocean?
5. What problems do the men endure as they make their way across the Bitterroot Mountains?
6. How do the captains communicate to the Indians in Chapter 16?
7. Why does Clark name the sandstone structure Pompy's Tower?
8. What problems do the Wahclellahs Indians cause the party in Chapter 19?
9. Describe the journey back home.
10. How do the Indians greet the party in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the aim of the expedition? Did the expedition achieve all of its aims? Why was a similar expedition was not held years or even decades earlier?
Essay Topic 2
What does the buffalo symbolize in American culture? How does the buffalo symbolize different things to the American Indians than it does to the American whites?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)