|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river does Clark explore in this chapter?
2. What animal skin do the Indians offer to trade with the Corps?
3. Who does Clark name the tower after?
4. Which of the following words does Lewis use to describe the Shoshone Indians?
5. What does Clark make the moccasins from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Corps feel such great joy in Chapter 17 when it reaches the ocean?
2. How does Clark relieve the horses' pain?
3. What does Clark do on April the 2nd in Chapter 19?
4. What problems does the party have getting across the water?
5. What does Clark tell the Pawnee and Teton tribes in Chapter 24?
6. What do the captains name the three forks of the Missouri River?
7. How does Yellept help the Corps in Chapter 20?
8. Describe the problems the party has have with Indians in Chapter 22.
9. Why is the trek across the Bitterroots Mountains so difficult?
10. How do the Indians greet the party in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the buffalo symbolize in American culture? How does the buffalo symbolize different things to the American Indians than it does to the American whites?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the punishment and discipline used in the book to keep the Corps in order.
1) Why was so important to keep the Corps disciplined?
2) In what way do Lewis and Clark set a good a example for the men?
3) Why are none of the punished men asked to leave the Corps?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)