|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tumbles down a steep hill with his horse?
2. What do the Indians try to steal from the Corps in this chapter?
3. What does Lewis use to signal his peaceful intentions to the man on the horse?
4. Where is Lewis accidentally shot?
5. Whose birthday is it in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men spend their time at Fort Clapsop?
2. What do the captains devise to make their journey across the mountain easier?
3. How does Yellept help the Corps in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Clark name the sandstone structure Pompy's Tower?
5. Why does the Corps feel such great joy in Chapter 17 when it reaches the ocean?
6. What problems do the Wahclellahs Indians cause the party in Chapter 19?
7. How do the captains communicate to the Indians in Chapter 16?
8. What does Clark give Yellept in exchange for his horse?
9. How does Clark save the woman in Chapter 18?
10. How do the Indians greet the party in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the main concerns in America during the early 1800s. How are these concerns expressed in the journals?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and outline either Clark or Lewis' thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think the captain you have chosen is right or wrong.
1) The motives of the French Traders
2) Making peace with the Indians
3) The American Indian's way of life
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the Corps works well together?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)