|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two members of the Corps accompany Lewis to see the man on the horse?
2. What is the Kooskooskee River now known as?
3. What does Lewis use to signal his peaceful intentions to the man on the horse?
4. What do the men eat when they run out of food?
5. Which member of the party is reunited with her relatives in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems do the men endure as they make their way across the Bitterroot Mountains?
2. Why is the trek across the Bitterroots Mountains so difficult?
3. How do the captains communicate to the Indians in Chapter 16?
4. Why does the Corps feel such great joy in Chapter 17 when it reaches the ocean?
5. How does the horseman act strangely in Chapter 14?
6. What does Clark tell the Pawnee and Teton tribes in Chapter 24?
7. How do the captains divide the party on July the 1st in Chapter 22?
8. Describe the problems the party has have with Indians in Chapter 22.
9. Why does Clark name the sandstone structure Pompy's Tower?
10. What problems do the Wahclellahs Indians cause the party in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are white Americans so keen to make peace with the Indians? Why do some tribes react well to the white Americans while others don't? How do Lewis and Clark represent the Indians in their journals?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the importance of the buffalo to the American Indians within the following areas:
2) Everyday life
Essay Topic 3
What impact have Lewis and Clark had on modern America? Why were Lewis and Clark specifically asked to lead the expedition? How are Lewis and Clark regarded today?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)