|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the scouting party have to find up the southern fork of the river?
2. Who is the Great Father the captains talk about?
3. What is the Indian women's canoe made from?
4. What does Lewis put on the canoes to show the Indians they are not enemies?
5. What makes the terrain so difficult in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
2. What happens to Private Howard in Chapter 6?
3. How does Clark defuse a situation between a husband and wife on November 22nd?
4. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
5. What do the men do when they set up camp on August the 15th?
6. What problems does Lewis encounter on his walk in Chapter 10?
7. Why is the Arikaras village empty?
8. What problems do the men have in catching the grizzly in Chapter 8?
9. How do the captains try to persuade the tribes to make peace with each other?
10. Why do the Captains establish specific appointments for Thompson, Warner and Collins in the opening chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
Essay Topic 2
What were the main concerns in America during the early 1800s. How are these concerns expressed in the journals?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the animals the Corps encounters in the book and examine it in terms of the following:
3) Survival skills
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)