|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal swims across the river in this chapter?
2. What is Captain Lewis still recovering from in this chapter?
3. What two animals does Valle say live in the Black Mountains?
4. Where is the keelboat traveling to?
5. What do the captains need during their talks with the Tetons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
2. What occurs in the meeting between the captains and the Indian tribes in the second chapter?
3. What decisions does Clark make on November 2?
4. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
5. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
6. Why do the Captains establish specific appointments for Thompson, Warner and Collins in the opening chapter?
7. What does Lewis note about antelope in Chapter 8?
8. Why do the Captains need to punish three members of the team in the opening chapter?
9. What does Clark note about the Mandan houses in Chapter 5?
10. What do the men do when they set up camp on August the 15th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and outline either Clark or Lewis' thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think the captain you have chosen is right or wrong.
1) The motives of the French Traders
2) Making peace with the Indians
3) The American Indian's way of life
Essay Topic 2
Examine the punishment and discipline used in the book to keep the Corps in order.
1) Why was so important to keep the Corps disciplined?
2) In what way do Lewis and Clark set a good a example for the men?
3) Why are none of the punished men asked to leave the Corps?
Essay Topic 3
What was the aim of the expedition? Did the expedition achieve all of its aims? Why was a similar expedition was not held years or even decades earlier?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)