|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people who don't take part in the majority of the celebration do on Christmas Day?
2. What does the Corps name the island they discover in this chapter?
3. Who does the Corps send documentation and specimens to?
4. What do the captains send out a party to look for?
5. What does the Corps buy from a trading cargo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the captains ensure they are on the right course?
2. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
3. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
4. What problems do the men have in catching the grizzly in Chapter 8?
5. Why do the Captains establish specific appointments for Thompson, Warner and Collins in the opening chapter?
6. What does Jean Valle tell the party in the fourth chapter?
7. What problems does Lewis encounter on his walk in Chapter 10?
8. What does Clark notice about the mound they climb in the third chapter?
9. How do the captains try to persuade the tribes to make peace with each other?
10. What does Captain Clark do between the 10th and 12th of July?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the buffalo symbolize in American culture? How does the buffalo symbolize different things to the American Indians than it does to the American whites?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and outline either Clark or Lewis' thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think the captain you have chosen is right or wrong.
1) The motives of the French Traders
2) Making peace with the Indians
3) The American Indian's way of life
Essay Topic 3
What impact have Lewis and Clark had on modern America? Why were Lewis and Clark specifically asked to lead the expedition? How are Lewis and Clark regarded today?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)