|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis put on the canoes to show the Indians they are not enemies?
2. Which member of the Corps dies in this chapter?
3. What animal swims across the river in this chapter?
4. Whose protection does the captain say a warring nation will lose?
5. What is the name of the French village the party reaches in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the weather in Chapter 11 affect the Corps?
2. What problems do the men endure as they make their way across the Bitterroot Mountains?
3. How does Clark relieve the horses' pain?
4. How do the captains try to persuade the tribes to make peace with each other?
5. What does Jean Valle tell the party in the fourth chapter?
6. How does Clark defuse a situation between a husband and wife on November 22nd?
7. How does Clark save the woman in Chapter 18?
8. What problems does the Teton tribe cause the party in the third chapter?
9. What does Clark do on April the 2nd in Chapter 19?
10. How does Captain Lewis help with the delivery of Jean-Baptiste?
Essay Topic 1
What were the main concerns in America during the early 1800s. How are these concerns expressed in the journals?
Essay Topic 2
What impact have Lewis and Clark had on modern America? Why were Lewis and Clark specifically asked to lead the expedition? How are Lewis and Clark regarded today?
Essay Topic 3
Why are white Americans so keen to make peace with the Indians? Why do some tribes react well to the white Americans while others don't? How do Lewis and Clark represent the Indians in their journals?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)