|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe does the Corps hold a meeting with in this chapter?
2. What do the hunters kill in this chapter?
3. What does Clark observe in the distance on July 20th?
4. What kind of animal in America catches the antelope when it enters the water?
5. What animal swims across the river in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Corps find it difficult to get across Musselshell River?
2. What does Jean Valle tell the party in the fourth chapter?
3. What problems does Lewis encounter on his walk in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Lewis worry about the construction of the main boat in Chapter 11?
5. How does Lewis save the pirogues in Chapter 7?
6. Why does the Corps find the terrain heavy going in Chapter 12?
7. How does Clark defuse a situation between a husband and wife on November 22nd?
8. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
9. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
10. What problems does the buffalo cause in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the animals the Corps encounters in the book and examine it in terms of the following:
3) Survival skills
Essay Topic 2
What does the buffalo symbolize in American culture? How does the buffalo symbolize different things to the American Indians than it does to the American whites?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the American President held more highly in regard in the 19th century than he is today? What did the Indians think about having their lives ruled by someone who had nothing to do with their culture?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)