|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the Corps see from the top of the hill?
2. What kind of animal in America catches the antelope when it enters the water?
3. Who does Captain Clark protect in this chapter?
4. Where is the keelboat traveling to?
5. What uses the mound as a refuge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Captains need to punish three members of the team in the opening chapter?
2. Why does the Corps find it difficult to get across Musselshell River?
3. What problems do the men have in catching the grizzly in Chapter 8?
4. What decision does the Court Martial make on Hugh Hall and John Collins?
5. What problems does Lewis encounter on his walk in Chapter 10?
6. What do the men do when they set up camp on August the 15th?
7. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
8. How does Lewis save the pirogues in Chapter 7?
9. What does Clark notice about the mound they climb in the third chapter?
10. What further problems does the party have with Teton Indians in the fourth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does the group encounter during its journey? How does it manage to get over its problems? How does it learn from its mistakes?
Essay Topic 2
What were the main concerns in America during the early 1800s. How are these concerns expressed in the journals?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the American President held more highly in regard in the 19th century than he is today? What did the Indians think about having their lives ruled by someone who had nothing to do with their culture?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)