|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rattle mixed with?
2. Who does the Corps send documentation and specimens to?
3. What do the Teton and Yankton Sioux say they will kill if they stand in their way?
4. Who gives birth in this chapter?
5. What kind of animal does the Corps catch alive in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clark note about the Mandan houses in Chapter 5?
2. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
3. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
4. Describe the Corps' stay at the Mandan village.
5. Why do the Captains need to punish three members of the team in the opening chapter?
6. What problems does the buffalo cause in Chapter 9?
7. How does Lewis save the pirogues in Chapter 7?
8. What further problems does the party have with Teton Indians in the fourth chapter?
9. What decisions does Clark make on November 2?
10. What problems do the men have in catching the grizzly in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What leadership qualities do Clark and Lewis have? What kind of relationship do the captains have with other members of the Corps?
Essay Topic 2
Why are white Americans so keen to make peace with the Indians? Why do some tribes react well to the white Americans while others don't? How do Lewis and Clark represent the Indians in their journals?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the Indian tribes Lewis and Clark encounter and examine its culture within the following areas:
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)