|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Corps send documentation and specimens to?
2. What tribe does the Corps hold a meeting with in this chapter?
3. What is the name of the experienced waterman within the Corps?
4. What is the name of the Maha king?
5. What is the name of the Teton chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Arikaras village empty?
2. How do the captains ensure they are on the right course?
3. Why does the Corps find the terrain heavy going in Chapter 12?
4. What does Clark notice about the mound they climb in the third chapter?
5. What does Lewis note about antelope in Chapter 8?
6. What problems does the buffalo cause in Chapter 9?
7. How does the party indicate to the Indians they are not their enemies?
8. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
9. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
10. What problems do the men have in catching the grizzly in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and outline either Clark or Lewis' thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think the captain you have chosen is right or wrong.
1) The motives of the French Traders
2) Making peace with the Indians
3) The American Indian's way of life
Essay Topic 2
What problems does the group encounter during its journey? How does it manage to get over its problems? How does it learn from its mistakes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the importance of the buffalo to the American Indians within the following areas:
2) Everyday life
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)