|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is spreading false rumors in this chapter?
2. Which of the following fish do the men not catch in the river?
3. What is the name of the Frenchman who lives among the the Mandans?
4. What does the Corps put in the mound where the king is buried?
5. What do the men name the river near the buffalo carcasses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the captains try to persuade the tribes to make peace with each other?
2. Why do the Captains need to punish three members of the team in the opening chapter?
3. Why is the Arikaras village empty?
4. How does Lewis save the pirogues in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Lewis worry about the construction of the main boat in Chapter 11?
6. Describe the Corps' stay at the Mandan village.
7. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
8. How do the captains want to deal with Reed in the second chapter?
9. What occurs in the meeting between the captains and the Indian tribes in the second chapter?
10. What does Clark note about the Mandan houses in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Corps want to journey down the Missouri River? Why has the river not been extensively explored before? What are the other rivers' relationships with the Missouri?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the American Indian''s relationship with the French.
1) What influence have the French had in the development of the USA?
2) How did the French use the Indians to help with their trade business?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the American President held more highly in regard in the 19th century than he is today? What did the Indians think about having their lives ruled by someone who had nothing to do with their culture?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)