|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character acts as a doctor for the Corps?
2. Who does the Corps leave with the tribe?
3. What is Hugh Hall and John Collins' punishment?
4. Who does the Corps send documentation and specimens to?
5. What do the captains need during their talks with the Tetons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the captains want to deal with Reed in the second chapter?
2. How does Captain Lewis help with the delivery of Jean-Baptiste?
3. What decisions does Clark make on November 2?
4. What further problems does the party have with Teton Indians in the fourth chapter?
5. Describe the Corps' stay at the Mandan village.
6. How does Lewis save the pirogues in Chapter 7?
7. What problems do the men have in catching the grizzly in Chapter 8?
8. Why do the captains want to find La Liberte in the second chapter?
9. Why does the Corps find it difficult to get across Musselshell River?
10. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the punishment and discipline used in the book to keep the Corps in order.
1) Why was so important to keep the Corps disciplined?
2) In what way do Lewis and Clark set a good a example for the men?
3) Why are none of the punished men asked to leave the Corps?
Essay Topic 2
What was the aim of the expedition? Did the expedition achieve all of its aims? Why was a similar expedition was not held years or even decades earlier?
Essay Topic 3
What were the main concerns in America during the early 1800s. How are these concerns expressed in the journals?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)