|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Corps' hunter?
2. What does Clark observe in the distance on July 20th?
3. What is the name of the first creek where the men set up camp?
4. Who is chosen to replace Sergeant Floyd?
5. What does the Corps put in the mound where the king is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George Shannon's conditions when he finally shows up again in the third chapter?
2. What does Captain Clark do between the 10th and 12th of July?
3. How does the weather in Chapter 11 affect the Corps?
4. What decision does the Court Martial make on Hugh Hall and John Collins?
5. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
6. Why do the Captains establish specific appointments for Thompson, Warner and Collins in the opening chapter?
7. What happens to Private Howard in Chapter 6?
8. What problems does the buffalo cause in Chapter 9?
9. What further problems does the party have with Teton Indians in the fourth chapter?
10. How does the party indicate to the Indians they are not their enemies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and outline either Clark or Lewis' thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think the captain you have chosen is right or wrong.
1) The motives of the French Traders
2) Making peace with the Indians
3) The American Indian's way of life
Essay Topic 2
Examine the punishment and discipline used in the book to keep the Corps in order.
1) Why was so important to keep the Corps disciplined?
2) In what way do Lewis and Clark set a good a example for the men?
3) Why are none of the punished men asked to leave the Corps?
Essay Topic 3
What were the main concerns in America during the early 1800s. How are these concerns expressed in the journals?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)