|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clark observe in the distance on July 20th?
2. Who are planning to attack the Mandan village?
3. What river is the White Catfish camp located above?
4. What tribe of Indians does Clarke send La Liberte to talk to?
5. What is the Indian women's canoe made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Captains establish specific appointments for Thompson, Warner and Collins in the opening chapter?
2. Describe Toussaint Charbonneau and his current life.
3. Why does the Corps find the terrain heavy going in Chapter 12?
4. How do the captains divide the party on July the 1st in Chapter 22?
5. How do the captains ensure they are on the right course?
6. Why does the Corps find it difficult to get across Musselshell River?
7. How does Yellept help the Corps in Chapter 20?
8. What do the men do when they set up camp on August the 15th?
9. What does Captain Clark do between the 10th and 12th of July?
10. Describe the problems the party has have with Indians in Chapter 22.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the Indian tribes Lewis and Clark encounter and examine its culture within the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the punishment and discipline used in the book to keep the Corps in order.
1) Why was so important to keep the Corps disciplined?
2) In what way do Lewis and Clark set a good a example for the men?
3) Why are none of the punished men asked to leave the Corps?
Essay Topic 3
What was the aim of the expedition? Did the expedition achieve all of its aims? Why was a similar expedition was not held years or even decades earlier?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)