|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river does the Corps reach at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What kind of fish does Goodrich catch in this chapter?
3. What does the party reach on July 25th?
4. What does Lewis order his men to sleep with in this chapter?
5. Whose protection does the captain say a warring nation will lose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Captains establish specific appointments for Thompson, Warner and Collins in the opening chapter?
2. Describe the Corps' stay at the Mandan village.
3. How do the captains want to deal with Reed in the second chapter?
4. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
5. Why does the Corps find it difficult to get across Musselshell River?
6. What does Clark note about the Mandan houses in Chapter 5?
7. What does Lewis note about antelope in Chapter 8?
8. In what what way is the meeting with the Teton Sioux Indians intense?
9. What does Captain Clark do between the 10th and 12th of July?
10. What problems does the Teton tribe cause the party in the third chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the buffalo symbolize in American culture? How does the buffalo symbolize different things to the American Indians than it does to the American whites?
Essay Topic 2
Compare American Indian culture with white American culture?
1) How do white American culture and American Indian culture clash?
2) What have white American culture and American Indian culture learned from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the importance of the buffalo to the American Indians within the following areas:
2) Everyday life
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)