|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives birth in this chapter?
2. What does Lewis put on the canoes to show the Indians they are not enemies?
3. How does Clark describe the Mandan village houses?
4. What makes the terrain so difficult in this chapter?
5. What does York tell the Indians he used to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Corps' stay at the Mandan village.
2. What does Captain Clark do between the 10th and 12th of July?
3. How do the captains want to deal with Reed in the second chapter?
4. What problems do the men have in catching the grizzly in Chapter 8?
5. What does Lewis note about antelope in Chapter 8?
6. Why does Lewis worry about the construction of the main boat in Chapter 11?
7. Why do the captains want to find La Liberte in the second chapter?
8. Why does the Corps find it difficult to get across Musselshell River?
9. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
10. What occurs in the meeting between the captains and the Indian tribes in the second chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the Indian tribes Lewis and Clark encounter and examine its culture within the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Compare American Indian culture with white American culture?
1) How do white American culture and American Indian culture clash?
2) What have white American culture and American Indian culture learned from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)