|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people is not punished in this chapter?
2. What do the captains send out a party to look for?
3. What do the hunters kill in this chapter?
4. Who is attacked by a grizzly bear in this chapter?
5. What kind of fish does Goodrich catch in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs in the meeting between the captains and the Indian tribes in the second chapter?
2. How does Captain Lewis help with the delivery of Jean-Baptiste?
3. How do the captains want to deal with Reed in the second chapter?
4. What happens to Private Howard in Chapter 6?
5. Why is the Arikaras village empty?
6. What problems does the Teton tribe cause the party in the third chapter?
7. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
8. What decision does the Court Martial make on Hugh Hall and John Collins?
9. What further problems does the party have with Teton Indians in the fourth chapter?
10. Why does the Corps find the terrain heavy going in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the Corps works well together?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the journals.
1) How did the editor edit and structure the entries of the journal to make it more entertaining?
2) What information do you think the editor decided against using and why?
3) How much of the real voice of the writers is lost by not presenting all the information?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the American President held more highly in regard in the 19th century than he is today? What did the Indians think about having their lives ruled by someone who had nothing to do with their culture?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)