|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of medicine does Lewis give Sacagawea in this chapter?
2. What covers the ground and makes their progress difficult in this chapter?
3. What tribe of Indians does Clarke send La Liberte to talk to?
4. What do the captains need during their talks with the Tetons?
5. Who does LaFrance trade for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does the Teton tribe cause the party in the third chapter?
2. Why do the Captains need to punish three members of the team in the opening chapter?
3. How does Captain Lewis help with the delivery of Jean-Baptiste?
4. What happens to Private Howard in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Lewis worry about the construction of the main boat in Chapter 11?
6. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
7. How do the captains try to persuade the tribes to make peace with each other?
8. What do the men do when they set up camp on August the 15th?
9. What does Clark notice about the mound they climb in the third chapter?
10. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does the group encounter during its journey? How does it manage to get over its problems? How does it learn from its mistakes?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the American President held more highly in regard in the 19th century than he is today? What did the Indians think about having their lives ruled by someone who had nothing to do with their culture?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the animals the Corps encounters in the book and examine it in terms of the following:
3) Survival skills
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)