|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clark observe in the distance on July 20th?
2. Who does the Corps hire as an interpreter in this chapter?
3. What kind of animal does the Corps hunt for at the sandbar?
4. What river is the White Catfish camp located above?
5. What tribe are the Indian boys that the Corps meets at the end of the chapter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Indians do when ice appears in the Missouri?
2. How does the party indicate to the Indians they are not their enemies?
3. How do the captains try to persuade the tribes to make peace with each other?
4. Why does the Corps find it difficult to get across Musselshell River?
5. How does Captain Lewis help with the delivery of Jean-Baptiste?
6. Describe the meeting that takes place between the captains and the Yankton Siuox on August 30th.
7. How do the captains ensure they are on the right course?
8. How does the weather in Chapter 11 affect the Corps?
9. Why does Lewis worry about the construction of the main boat in Chapter 11?
10. What further problems does the party have with Teton Indians in the fourth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact have Lewis and Clark had on modern America? Why were Lewis and Clark specifically asked to lead the expedition? How are Lewis and Clark regarded today?
Essay Topic 2
What was the aim of the expedition? Did the expedition achieve all of its aims? Why was a similar expedition was not held years or even decades earlier?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the American Indian''s relationship with the French.
1) What influence have the French had in the development of the USA?
2) How did the French use the Indians to help with their trade business?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)