|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lewis decide to walk along the shore?
(a) To hunt
(b) To get in shape
(c) To view the wildlife
(d) To allow more space on the boats
2. What covers the ground and makes their progress difficult in this chapter?
(a) Prickly pears
(b) Dead buffalo
3. What tribe are the Indian boys that the Corps meets at the end of the chapter from?
4. What is the name of the army camp that Captain William Clarke leaves on May 13, 1804?
(a) St. Andrews
(c) River Dubois
(d) Pride of America
5. What rank is Richard Warfington?
6. What do most of the men like about the Mandan village?
(a) It is near shops
(b) It is very comfortable
(c) The women are attractive
(d) The food is great
7. What was Blackbird killed by?
(a) A bullet wound
(b) A knife wound
(d) Small pox
8. What is the Indian women's canoe made from?
(a) Sugar cane
(c) Bear skin
(d) Buffalo skin
9. What is the name of the Teton chief?
(a) Black Buffalo
(b) Colin the Coyote
(d) Sitting Bull
10. What do the Teton and Yankton Sioux say they will kill if they stand in their way?
(a) Grizzly bears
(b) White men
11. What do the captains need during their talks with the Tetons?
(a) A guard dog
(c) An interpreter
(d) A bodyguard
12. What does the Corps buy from a trading cargo?
(a) Buffalo grease
13. What are prairie dogs rumored to live with?
(d) Snakes or lizards
14. What does the Corps find on the shore of the Poncha River?
(b) Starving people
(c) An empty village
(d) Buffalo carcasses
15. What kind of medicine does Lewis give Sacagawea in this chapter?
(c) Cough syrup
Short Answer Questions
1. What river runs under the Black Mountains?
2. What is the name of Clark's servant?
3. What uses the mound as a refuge?
4. What does the Corps call the collection of Mandan villages?
5. What do the captains send out a party to look for?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)