|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Captain Clark protect in this chapter?
(a) Captain Lewis
(b) The Pawnees
(c) His wife
(d) The Mandans
2. What does the Corps call the collection of Mandan villages?
(a) Toy Town
(c) Mandan City
(d) Dodge City
3. What is the name of the Frenchman who lives among the the Mandans?
(a) Rene Jussome
(b) Jacques Camus
(c) Rene Mercault
(d) Albert Renoir
4. What do the captains give the Indian boys as a present?
(b) Paper and pens
5. Who is responsible for piloting the keel boat?
(a) Joseph Gravelines
(b) Richard Warfington
(c) Captain Clark
(d) Captain Lewis
6. Who does the man who visits two days before Christmas want to make peace with?
(a) The officer he thought slept with his wife
(b) The Mandan Indians
(d) His wife
7. What is Newman's punishment for mutinous expression?
(a) 75 lashes
(c) Electric chair
(d) No food for three days
8. Why does Lewis decide to walk along the shore?
(a) To hunt
(b) To allow more space on the boats
(c) To view the wildlife
(d) To get in shape
9. Who are planning to attack the Mandan village?
(c) The American army
(d) Teton and Yankton Sioux
10. Which of the following animals does the party not kill in this chapter?
(b) Grizzly bears
(d) Mule deer
11. What is Hugh Hall and John Collins' punishment?
(a) 50 press ups
(b) Electric chair
(c) Gas chamber
12. What river does the Corps reach at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Musselshell River
(b) Maria's River
(c) Washington River
(d) Gordon's River
13. What is the name of the Corps' hunter?
(a) Hugh Hall
(b) George Drouilliard
(c) Willliam Warner
(d) John Collins
14. What does Jean Valle operate from his house?
(a) A bar
(b) A trading post
(c) A grocery store
(d) A post office
15. What is the name of the army camp that Captain William Clarke leaves on May 13, 1804?
(a) Pride of America
(b) River Dubois
(d) St. Andrews
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of medicine does Lewis give Sacagawea in this chapter?
2. How does Clark describe the Mandan village houses?
3. What do the captains need during their talks with the Tetons?
4. What uses the mound as a refuge?
5. What do the people who don't take part in the majority of the celebration do on Christmas Day?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)