|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
2. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
3. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
4. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
5. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
2. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
3. Describe Jaroslav's house.
4. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
5. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
6. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
7. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
8. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
9. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
10. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
Essay Topic 2
What is the joke, following the title of this book? Are there more than one? Compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 3
What does Miss. Broz come to symbolize to Ludvik? Zemanek?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)