|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
2. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
3. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
4. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
5. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
2. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
3. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
4. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
5. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
6. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
7. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
8. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
9. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
10. Describe Jaroslav's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
What brings Ludvik back to folk music? What does this return symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ludvik see Lucie as the King of the Ride of the Kings?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)