|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
2. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
3. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
4. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
5. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
2. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
3. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
4. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
5. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
6. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
7. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
8. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
9. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
10. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Miss. Broz come to symbolize to Ludvik? Zemanek?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the time Ludvik spent in Ostrava. How was he as a person before he went? What major events happened there? How did he change?
Essay Topic 3
Outline Kostka's belief system and the major fallacies reflected in the life he leads.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)