|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
2. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
3. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
4. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
5. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
2. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
3. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
4. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
5. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
6. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
7. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
8. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
9. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
10. Describe Jaroslav's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the joke, following the title of this book? Are there more than one? Compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the time Ludvik spent in Ostrava. How was he as a person before he went? What major events happened there? How did he change?
Essay Topic 3
Detail what happened to Ludvik's mother and what brought her to be buried in the manner she was laid to rest.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)