|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
2. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
3. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
4. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
5. How long was Lucie in reform school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
2. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
3. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
4. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
5. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
6. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
7. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
8. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
9. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
10. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major event ends the novel "The Joke", and what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
What does Miss. Broz come to symbolize to Ludvik? Zemanek?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)