|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
2. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
3. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
4. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
5. Who is the narrator of part four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
2. Describe Jaroslav's house.
3. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
4. How is Jaroslav's planning developing for the upcoming Ride of the Kings progressing?
5. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
6. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
7. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
8. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
9. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
10. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline Kostka's belief system and the major fallacies reflected in the life he leads.
Essay Topic 2
What is the joke, following the title of this book? Are there more than one? Compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 3
Describe a genuine Moravian wedding. Pick some symbols to describe, compare and contrast.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)