|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
2. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
3. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
4. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
5. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
2. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
3. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
4. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
5. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
6. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
7. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
8. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
9. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
10. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
Essay Topic 3
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)