|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
2. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
3. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
4. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
5. How long was Lucie in reform school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
2. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
3. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
4. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
5. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
6. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
7. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
8. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
9. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
10. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
What major event ends the novel "The Joke", and what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
What is the joke, following the title of this book? Are there more than one? Compare and contrast.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)