|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
2. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
3. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
4. Who is Vladimir?
5. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
2. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
3. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
4. How is Jaroslav's planning developing for the upcoming Ride of the Kings progressing?
5. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
6. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
7. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
8. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
9. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
10. Describe Jaroslav's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fully describe the ceremony of the Ride of the Kings. What is the significance of this ceremony in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ludvik define himself?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ludvik seduce Helena and what goes wrong with his plan?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)