|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
2. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
3. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
4. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
5. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
2. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
3. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
4. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
5. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
6. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
7. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
8. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
9. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
10. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
Essay Topic 2
Outline Kostka's belief system and the major fallacies reflected in the life he leads.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of "the mirror" to the characters of "The Joke"? Pick two characters to focus your essay.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)