|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
2. What emotion alarms the narrator of part five just before meeting Helena?
3. How long ago did Jaroslav's father die from the beginning of part four?
4. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
5. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
2. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
3. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
4. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
5. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
6. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
7. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
8. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
9. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
10. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
Essay Topic 2
What is the joke, following the title of this book? Are there more than one? Compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the symbolism inherent in the gifts Ludvik and Lucie give to each other during their time together in Ostrava.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)