|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
2. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
3. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
4. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
5. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
2. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
3. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
4. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
5. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
6. How is Jaroslav's planning developing for the upcoming Ride of the Kings progressing?
7. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
8. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
9. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
10. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ludvik define himself?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
Essay Topic 3
What brings Ludvik back to folk music? What does this return symbolize?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)