|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
2. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
3. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
4. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
5. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
2. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
3. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
4. How is Jaroslav's planning developing for the upcoming Ride of the Kings progressing?
5. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
6. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
7. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
8. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
9. Describe Jaroslav's house.
10. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail what happened to Ludvik's mother and what brought her to be buried in the manner she was laid to rest.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the symbolism inherent in the gifts Ludvik and Lucie give to each other during their time together in Ostrava.
Essay Topic 3
What does the Black Insignia signify to Ludvik? To the Party?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)