|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
2. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
3. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
4. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
5. How long was Lucie in reform school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
2. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
3. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
4. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
5. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
6. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
7. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
8. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
9. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
10. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail what happened to Ludvik's mother and what brought her to be buried in the manner she was laid to rest.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)