|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
2. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
3. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
4. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
5. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
2. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
3. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
4. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
5. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
6. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
7. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
8. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
9. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
10. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major event ends the novel "The Joke", and what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)