|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
2. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
3. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
4. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
5. How did the children help the unknown girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
2. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
3. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
4. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
5. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
6. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
7. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
8. Describe Jaroslav's house.
9. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
10. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ludvik define himself?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What brings Ludvik back to folk music? What does this return symbolize?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)