|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Zemanek and Helena after the demonstration in Old Town Square?
2. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
3. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
4. Where is the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
5. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
2. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
3. What is Kostka's living situation?
4. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
5. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
6. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
7. What is Helena's credo?
8. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
9. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
10. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fully describe the ceremony of the Ride of the Kings. What is the significance of this ceremony in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What does Miss. Broz come to symbolize to Ludvik? Zemanek?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)