Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
2. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
3. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
4. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
5. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
2. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
3. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
4. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
5. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
6. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
7. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
8. Describe Jaroslav's house.
9. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
10. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the symbolism inherent in the gifts Ludvik and Lucie give to each other during their time together in Ostrava.
Essay Topic 2
Outline Kostka's belief system and the major fallacies reflected in the life he leads.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)