|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
2. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
3. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
4. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
5. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helena feel about younger women?
2. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
3. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
4. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
5. Ludvik relates the story of a easy woman who fell in love. Describe the story and its meaning.
6. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
7. How does Helena know that she loves Ludvik?
8. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
9. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
10. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)