|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
2. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
3. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
4. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
5. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
2. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
3. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
4. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
5. What is Kostka's living situation?
6. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
7. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
8. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
9. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
10. What is Helena's credo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ludvik see Lucie as the King of the Ride of the Kings?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ludvik define himself?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)