|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
2. The day following their one-day reunion, Ludvik phones Marketa. What happens?
3. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
4. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
5. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
2. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
3. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
4. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
5. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
6. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
7. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
8. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
9. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
10. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
Essay Topic 2
How does Ludvik define himself?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)