|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
2. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
3. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
4. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
5. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kostka's living situation?
2. What is Helena's credo?
3. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
4. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
5. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
6. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
7. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
8. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
9. How does Helena feel about younger women?
10. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Black Insignia signify to Ludvik? To the Party?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the time Ludvik spent in Ostrava. How was he as a person before he went? What major events happened there? How did he change?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the symbolism inherent in the gifts Ludvik and Lucie give to each other during their time together in Ostrava.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)