Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
2. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
3. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
4. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
5. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
2. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
3. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
4. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
5. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
6. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
7. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
8. Describe Jaroslav's house.
9. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
10. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
Essay Topic 1
What major event ends the novel "The Joke", and what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ludvik see Lucie as the King of the Ride of the Kings?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)