|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
2. Who at Helena's work station likes her?
3. How does Zdena feel about Zemanek?
4. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
5. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
2. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
3. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
4. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
5. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
6. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
7. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
8. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
9. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
10. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
How does Ludvik define himself?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)