|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
2. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
3. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
4. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
5. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
2. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
3. How does Helena feel about younger women?
4. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
5. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
6. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
7. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
8. What is Kostka's living situation?
9. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
10. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of "the mirror" to the characters of "The Joke"? Pick two characters to focus your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Fully describe the ceremony of the Ride of the Kings. What is the significance of this ceremony in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ludvik seduce Helena and what goes wrong with his plan?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)