|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
2. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
3. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
4. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
5. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
2. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
3. How does Helena feel about younger women?
4. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
5. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
6. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
7. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
8. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
9. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
10. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major event ends the novel "The Joke", and what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Detail what happened to Ludvik's mother and what brought her to be buried in the manner she was laid to rest.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ludvik seduce Helena and what goes wrong with his plan?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)