|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Zemanek and Helena after the demonstration in Old Town Square?
2. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
3. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
4. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
5. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
2. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
3. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
4. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
5. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
6. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
7. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
8. What is Helena's credo?
9. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
10. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline Kostka's belief system and the major fallacies reflected in the life he leads.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the symbolism inherent in the gifts Ludvik and Lucie give to each other during their time together in Ostrava.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)