|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
2. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
3. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
4. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
5. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
2. How does Helena feel about the Party?
3. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
4. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
5. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
6. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
7. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
8. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
9. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
10. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Miss. Broz come to symbolize to Ludvik? Zemanek?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)