|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
2. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
3. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
4. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
5. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
2. How does Helena feel about the Party?
3. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
4. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
5. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
6. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
7. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
8. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
9. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
10. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Detail what happened to Ludvik's mother and what brought her to be buried in the manner she was laid to rest.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)