|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
2. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
3. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
4. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
5. Helena claims she would do anything to save her marriage. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jaroslav's house.
2. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
3. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
4. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
5. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
6. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
7. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
8. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
9. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
10. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
Essay Topic 1
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
Essay Topic 2
Fully describe the ceremony of the Ride of the Kings. What is the significance of this ceremony in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the time Ludvik spent in Ostrava. How was he as a person before he went? What major events happened there? How did he change?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)