|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
2. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
3. According to Helena, what does Zemanek live on?
4. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
5. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helena feel about the Party?
2. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
3. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
4. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
5. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
6. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
7. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
8. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
9. How does Helena feel about younger women?
10. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a genuine Moravian wedding. Pick some symbols to describe, compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 2
What makes Lucie afraid of physical intimacy and how is it overcome?
Essay Topic 3
What is the joke, following the title of this book? Are there more than one? Compare and contrast.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)