|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the river in Moravia look like?
2. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
3. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
4. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
5. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
2. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
3. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
4. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
5. How does Helena feel about younger women?
6. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
7. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
8. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
9. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
10. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What major event ends the novel "The Joke", and what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
What is the joke, following the title of this book? Are there more than one? Compare and contrast.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)