|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
2. What does the river in Moravia look like?
3. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
4. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
5. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
2. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
3. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
4. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
5. How does Helena feel about younger women?
6. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
7. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
8. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
9. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
10. What is Kostka's living situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a genuine Moravian wedding. Pick some symbols to describe, compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
Essay Topic 3
What brings Ludvik back to folk music? What does this return symbolize?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)