|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
2. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
3. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
4. Moravia reminds the narrator of what city?
5. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helena feel about the Party?
2. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
3. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
4. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
5. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
6. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
7. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
8. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
9. What is Kostka's living situation?
10. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ludvik see Lucie as the King of the Ride of the Kings?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways and how does Kostka succeed with Lucie that Ludvik never did? Compare and contrast their relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Fully describe the ceremony of the Ride of the Kings. What is the significance of this ceremony in the book?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)