|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
2. What does Helena claim she is looking for?
3. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
4. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
5. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
2. How does Helena feel about the Party?
3. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
4. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
5. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
6. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
7. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
8. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
9. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
10. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of "the mirror" to the characters of "The Joke"? Pick two characters to focus your essay.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)