|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
2. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
3. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
4. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
5. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
2. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
3. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
4. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
5. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
6. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
7. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
8. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
9. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
10. How does Helena feel about younger women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jaroslav and his family.
Essay Topic 2
What major event ends the novel "The Joke", and what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)