|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
2. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
3. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
4. What floor does Kostka live on?
5. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kostka's living situation?
2. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
3. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
4. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
5. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
6. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
7. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
8. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
9. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
10. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Black Insignia signify to Ludvik? To the Party?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ludvik seduce Helena and what goes wrong with his plan?
Essay Topic 3
Fully describe the ceremony of the Ride of the Kings. What is the significance of this ceremony in the book?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)