|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
2. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
3. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
4. Where is the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
5. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
2. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
3. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
4. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
5. What is Helena's credo?
6. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
7. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
8. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
9. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
10. How does Helena feel about the Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the people of western Bohemia treat Lucie and the children in the town.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the time Ludvik spent in Ostrava. How was he as a person before he went? What major events happened there? How did he change?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the altercation between Jaroslav and Vlasta at the end of "The Joke". How does their fight reflect their whole relationship?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)