|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Flowers from a graveyard.
(b) Milk from a shepherd.
(c) Food from children.
(d) Clothes from a laundry.
2. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Baroque music.
(b) Moravian folk music.
(c) Chamber music.
(d) Jazz music.
3. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
4. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The little fairy-princess."
(b) "The little shephardess who could."
(c) "The little grave robber."
(d) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
5. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the children help the unknown girl?
2. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
3. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
4. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
5. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jaroslav's house.
2. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
3. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
4. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
5. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
6. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
7. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
8. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
9. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
10. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)