|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Moravian folk music.
(b) Jazz music.
(c) Baroque music.
(d) Chamber music.
2. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The House of People.
(b) The People's Room.
(c) The Pig.
(d) The Goat.
3. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) They make no noise.
(b) The uses for leftover newspaper.
(c) They spread the news.
(d) The journalists.
4. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
(b) "The little fairy-princess."
(c) "The little grave robber."
(d) "The little shephardess who could."
5. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
2. Where does Lucie's father live?
3. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
4. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
5. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
2. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
3. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
4. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
5. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
6. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
7. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
8. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
9. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
10. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)