|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
2. Who is the narrator of part four?
3. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
4. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His mentor.
(b) His idol.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His adversary.
5. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
(a) It fosters greed and dishonesty.
(b) It is an atheistic system of government.
(c) It makes people work for a living.
(d) It is immoral.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
2. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
3. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
4. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
5. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
2. Describe Jaroslav's house.
3. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
4. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
5. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
6. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
7. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
8. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
9. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
10. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)