|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
2. Jaroslav states, "It's not your __________ that condemn you to to solitude, it's your __________."
(a) Opressors, allies.
(b) Enemies, friends.
(c) Allies, opressors.
(d) Friends, enemies.
3. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
(a) A fairy.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) A vandal.
(d) A ghost.
4. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
5. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
2. Who is the narrator of part six?
3. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
4. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
5. Who is the narrator in part five?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
2. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
3. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
4. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
5. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
6. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
7. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
8. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
9. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
10. Describe Jaroslav's house.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)