|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of part four?
2. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(b) "The assimilation rite."
(c) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
(d) "Registration of baby-comrades."
3. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) Her hotel.
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) The church.
(d) The milk bar.
4. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
(a) He is voted to the Youth League.
(b) He wins a motorcycle race in Brno.
(c) He is appointed King of the festival.
(d) He breaks a school record in track.
5. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She danced in his ensemble.
(b) She cared for his sick father.
(c) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(d) She mended his clothes in a shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
2. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
3. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
4. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
5. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
2. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
3. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
4. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
5. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
6. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
7. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
8. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
9. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
10. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)