|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(b) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(c) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
(d) "The assimilation rite."
2. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) A white angel.
(b) A grey cross.
(c) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
(d) A black headstone.
3. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
4. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The little fairy-princess."
(b) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
(c) "The little grave robber."
(d) "The little shephardess who could."
5. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
2. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
3. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
4. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
5. Who is the narrator of part four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
2. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
3. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
4. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
5. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
6. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
7. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
8. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
9. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
10. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)