|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) The uses for leftover newspaper.
(b) They make no noise.
(c) They spread the news.
(d) The journalists.
2. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
3. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
4. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
5. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The little grave robber."
(b) "The little fairy-princess."
(c) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
(d) "The little shephardess who could."
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
2. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
3. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
4. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
5. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
2. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
3. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
4. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
5. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
6. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
7. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
8. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
9. How is Jaroslav's planning developing for the upcoming Ride of the Kings progressing?
10. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)