|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(b) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(c) Local bean stew and beer.
(d) Fried cheese.
2. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
3. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
4. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
(a) It makes people work for a living.
(b) It fosters greed and dishonesty.
(c) It is immoral.
(d) It is an atheistic system of government.
5. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
(a) He is in prison.
(b) He is an invalid and she doesn't want to care for him.
(c) His new wife won't allow Lucie to stay with them.
(d) He used to beat her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
2. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
3. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
4. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
5. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
2. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
3. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
4. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
5. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
6. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
7. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
8. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
9. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
10. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)