|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Fried cheese.
(b) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(c) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(d) Local bean stew and beer.
2. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(c) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
(d) Sits on a bench for two hours.
3. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
4. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His mother's second wedding.
(b) His aunt's funeral.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His cousin's wedding.
5. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
2. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
3. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
4. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
5. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
2. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
3. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
4. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
5. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
6. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
7. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
8. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
9. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
10. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)