|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They were both half-orphans.
(c) They both liked to go fishing.
(d) They were both very smart.
2. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
3. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
(a) He wins a motorcycle race in Brno.
(b) He is appointed King of the festival.
(c) He breaks a school record in track.
(d) He is voted to the Youth League.
4. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) Her hotel.
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) The milk bar.
(d) The church.
5. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(b) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(c) "The assimilation rite."
(d) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
2. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
3. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
4. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
5. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
2. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
3. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
4. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
5. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
6. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
7. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
8. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
9. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
10. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)