|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They both liked to go fishing.
(b) They were both half-orphans.
(c) They were both very smart.
(d) They are cousins.
2. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
(a) The police.
(b) A teacher from the school in the village.
(c) The director of the farm and a chairman of the Local Council.
(d) The doctor of western Bohemia
3. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Work at a state farm.
(b) Become a journalist.
(c) Work at a mine.
(d) Take a year off.
4. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
(a) The viola.
(b) The violin.
(c) The cello.
(d) The harmonium.
5. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
(a) The bride.
(b) The witness.
(c) The patriarch.
(d) The groom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
2. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
3. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
4. Jaroslav states, "It's not your __________ that condemn you to to solitude, it's your __________."
5. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
2. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
3. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
4. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
5. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
6. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
7. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
8. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
9. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
10. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)