|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Eight years.
2. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
(a) Gustav Husak.
(b) Joseph Stalin.
(c) Alexander Dubcek.
(d) Julius Fucik.
3. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His cousin's wedding.
(b) His mother's second wedding.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His aunt's funeral.
4. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They were both half-orphans.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They were both very smart.
(d) They both liked to go fishing.
5. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Local bean stew and beer.
(b) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(c) Fried cheese.
(d) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
2. Who is Vladimir?
3. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
4. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
5. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
2. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
3. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
4. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
5. Describe Jaroslav's house.
6. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
7. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
8. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
9. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
10. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)