|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
2. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
3. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Played cards.
(b) Read poetry.
(c) Drink vodka.
(d) Drink more rye.
4. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
5. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At a dinner with his wife.
(b) At a meeting for the Party.
(c) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
(d) At University for a class.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
2. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
3. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
4. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
5. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
2. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
3. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
4. Describe Jaroslav's dream at the beginning of part four.
5. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
6. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
7. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
8. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
9. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
10. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)