|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
(a) He tells her it is a genuine Moravian tavern.
(b) He asks her to read the book he is writing.
(c) He wants to show her a genuine Moravian artifact.
(d) He pretends Kostka is home.
2. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) The uses for leftover newspaper.
(b) The journalists.
(c) They spread the news.
(d) They make no noise.
3. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) A grey cross.
(b) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
(c) A white angel.
(d) A black headstone.
4. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The little fairy-princess."
(b) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
(c) "The little grave robber."
(d) "The little shephardess who could."
5. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
(d) The director of the state-farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of part five really want for breakfast before meeting Helena?
2. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
3. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
4. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
5. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
2. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
3. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
4. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
5. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
6. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
7. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
8. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
9. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
10. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)