|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "The assimilation rite."
(b) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(c) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(d) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
2. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Eight years.
3. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
(a) A fairy.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A vandal.
(d) A gypsy.
4. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
(a) Her parents died.
(b) She was head of the gang.
(c) She didn't have anyone else.
(d) She loved one of the members.
5. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His idol.
(c) His adversary.
(d) His mentor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
2. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
3. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
4. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
5. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
2. How is Jaroslav's planning developing for the upcoming Ride of the Kings progressing?
3. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
4. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
5. Why doesn't Ludvik search for Lucie after she goes missing? How about after he is free from Ostrava?
6. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
7. How does Ludvik describe his first meeting with Helena?
8. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
9. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
10. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)