|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jaroslav states, "It's not your __________ that condemn you to to solitude, it's your __________."
(a) Allies, opressors.
(b) Opressors, allies.
(c) Enemies, friends.
(d) Friends, enemies.
2. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
3. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
(b) A black headstone.
(c) A white angel.
(d) A grey cross.
4. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
5. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
2. Who is Vladimir?
3. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
4. Who is the narrator of part six?
5. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
2. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
3. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
4. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
5. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
6. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
7. Describe Jaroslav's house.
8. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
9. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
10. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)