|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His mother's second wedding.
(b) His cousin's wedding.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His aunt's funeral.
2. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His father.
3. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The House of People.
(b) The People's Room.
(c) The Pig.
(d) The Goat.
4. Where does Lucie's father live?
5. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She mended his clothes in a shop.
(b) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(c) She cared for his sick father.
(d) She danced in his ensemble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
2. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
3. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
4. Who is the narrator of part four?
5. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
2. How is Jaroslav's planning developing for the upcoming Ride of the Kings progressing?
3. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
4. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
5. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
6. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
7. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
8. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
9. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
10. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)