|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Work at a mine.
(b) Take a year off.
(c) Become a journalist.
(d) Work at a state farm.
2. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
3. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
(a) The bride.
(b) The groom.
(c) The witness.
(d) The patriarch.
4. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She cared for his sick father.
(b) She mended his clothes in a shop.
(c) She danced in his ensemble.
(d) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
5. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
2. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
3. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
4. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
5. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jaroslav imagine his mother?
2. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
3. Describe Jaroslav's house.
4. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
5. What event called Kostka's Christianity into question by the administration at the University?
6. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
7. What does Christian living mean to Kostka?
8. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
9. How does Jaroslav describe the "Communists of the time," after his first year at University?
10. Why did Zemanek read Fucik at Ludvik's hearing?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)