|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The hospitals.
(b) The mines.
(c) The roads.
(d) The sewers.
2. What is the name of the woman who shaves Ludvik?
3. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
4. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
(a) A fantasy.
(b) A nap.
(c) A conversation.
(d) A lie.
5. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
Short Answer Questions
1. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
2. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
3. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
4. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
5. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
2. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
3. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
4. How does Helena feel about younger women?
5. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
6. How does Helena feel about the Party?
7. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
8. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
9. What is Kostka's living situation?
10. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)