|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) Two days.
2. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
(a) She is caressing him.
(b) He is being cleaned by someone else.
(c) She is slapping him.
(d) He is back in Prague with his regular barber.
3. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
4. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
(a) Around 1945
(b) Around 1940.
(c) Around 1948.
(d) Around 1958.
5. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
(a) He had to interview her.
(b) At a demonstration.
(c) She had to interview him.
(d) In the gallows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
2. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
3. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
4. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
5. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
2. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
3. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
4. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
5. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
6. How does Helena feel about younger women?
7. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
8. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
9. How does Helena feel about the Party?
10. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)