|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
(a) In class at University.
(b) In Old Town Square.
(c) At the Fucik Song and Dance Ensemble.
(d) On St. John's Bridge.
2. When did Helena move to Prague?
3. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) Dr. Klara
(b) Dr. Lucie
(c) Dr. Kostka.
(d) Dr. Zemanek.
4. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The mines.
(b) The sewers.
(c) The hospitals.
(d) The roads.
5. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
2. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
3. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
4. Who is the narrator of the part two?
5. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
2. Describe Jaroslav's house.
3. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
4. What is strange about Helena's question for Jaroslav about the Ride of the Kings?
5. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
6. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
7. What moved Jaroslav to become Vlasta's "protector?"
8. Describe the Helena Ludvik is finally attracted to.
9. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
10. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)