|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A joke in letter.
(b) A joke on a postcard.
(c) A photograph of Stalin.
(d) A poem in a letter.
2. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
(b) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
(c) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
(d) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
3. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
(a) The Comrades.
(b) Her parents.
(d) Her professor.
4. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
5. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The fifth floor.
(b) The second floor.
(c) The fourth floor.
(d) The third floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
2. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
3. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
4. Where does Kostka live?
5. What does Zemanek do at university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
2. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
3. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
4. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
5. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
6. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
7. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
8. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
9. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
10. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)