|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
(a) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took their side.
(b) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took a stand against it.
(c) Helena was having an affair and misled the Party.
(d) Helena was having multiple affairs and misleading the Party.
2. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
(a) On the anniversary of the Liberation in Old Town Square.
(b) At a meeting for the Youth League.
(c) After they married.
(d) While visiting Italy with their ensemble.
3. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
4. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
(a) Sect of Young Marxists.
(b) Justice of Collegiate Students.
(c) Society of Students.
(d) League of University Students.
5. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
(a) Stalin's crimes came out, but Helena remained loyal.
(b) Stalin's crimes came out, but Pavel remained loyal.
(c) Stalin became a hero but Pavel didn't like him.
(d) Stalin became a hero but Helena didn't like him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
2. What does Zemanek do at university?
3. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
4. Where is the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
5. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
2. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
3. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
4. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
5. What is Helena's credo?
6. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
7. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
8. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
9. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
10. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)