|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
(a) The Honor of Labor
(b) In the Court of Labor.
(c) Labor and You: A Story of Honor
(d) Court of Honor
2. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
(a) Sparse; not exactly attractive.
(b) Comfortable; a firm bed.
(c) Welcoming; two chairs at the table.
(d) Cosy; very well furnished.
3. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
4. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
5. At the beginning of the novel, how long has the narrator been away from his home?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
2. What is the name of the woman who shaves Ludvik?
3. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
4. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
5. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
2. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
3. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
4. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
5. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
6. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
7. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
8. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
9. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
10. What is Kostka's living situation?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)