|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
(a) "Honor to justice."
(b) "People for labor."
(c) "Honor to labor."
(d) "Justice to people."
2. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
(a) Fifty thousand people singing in Italian.
(b) A fight that turned into a riot.
(c) Fifty thousand people screaming a slogan.
(d) A fight that crushed a girl he was dating.
3. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
(a) Labor and You: A Story of Honor
(b) The Honor of Labor
(c) Court of Honor
(d) In the Court of Labor.
4. According to Helena, what does Zemanek live on?
(a) His morals.
(b) Hard work.
5. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
(a) Two identical towers facing each other.
(b) One large building of concrete.
(c) A small, sad shack.
(d) A complex of buildings spread out.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
2. Who at Helena's work station likes her?
3. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
4. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
5. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
2. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
3. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
4. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
5. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
6. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
7. What is Helena's credo?
8. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
9. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
10. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)