|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
(a) It is sparse.
(b) It is overly lavish.
(c) It is dingy.
(d) It is very attractive.
2. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
(a) Helena was called before a committee and kept out of Zemanek's way.
(b) Zemanek was called before a committee and kept out of Helena's way.
(c) Zemanek asked her to marry him.
(d) Helena became pregnant.
3. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
(a) Around 1948.
(b) Around 1945
(c) Around 1958.
(d) Around 1940.
4. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Go to the hospital.
(b) Have dinner.
(c) Go wandering.
(d) Meet a lover.
5. What does Helena claim she is looking for?
(a) New dreams.
(b) New ideals.
(d) A new political party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
2. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
3. Who at Helena's work station likes her?
4. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
5. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kostka feel about Ludvik defending him to the University?
2. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
3. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
4. What is Helena's credo?
5. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
6. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
7. Describe the way Ludvik is successful in his seduction of Helena.
8. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
9. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
10. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)