|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) Dr. Klara
(b) Dr. Lucie
(c) Dr. Zemanek.
(d) Dr. Kostka.
2. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
(a) He is strange and mysterious.
(b) He is melancholy and artistic.
(c) He is normal and straightforward.
(d) He is changable.
3. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
(a) Sparse; not exactly attractive.
(b) Comfortable; a firm bed.
(c) Cosy; very well furnished.
(d) Welcoming; two chairs at the table.
4. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
5. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
2. Where is the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
3. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
4. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
5. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
2. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
3. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
4. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
5. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
6. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
7. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
8. What is Kostka's living situation?
9. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
10. How does Helena feel about younger women?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)