|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
(a) In the Court of Labor.
(b) The Honor of Labor
(c) Court of Honor
(d) Labor and You: A Story of Honor
2. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Meet a lover.
(b) Go wandering.
(c) Have dinner.
(d) Go to the hospital.
3. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She is too laid back.
(b) She doesn't do a good job.
(c) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(d) She isn't loyal enough.
4. What does Zemanek do at university?
(a) Lecture on history.
(b) Lecture on Stalin.
(c) Lecture on math.
(d) Lecture on Marxism.
5. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
(a) His hotel.
(b) His old school.
(c) His mother's house.
(d) To see a dear friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helena claims she would do anything to save her marriage. Why?
2. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
3. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
4. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
5. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
2. What makes Kostka afraid of women?
3. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
4. How does Ludvik's memory of Helena differ from Helena in reality, upon their meeting in Moravia?
5. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
6. Describe the difference between Ludvik and Kostka's perceived relationship, according to Kostka.
7. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
8. How does Kostka feel about how he treated Lucie, when he reflects back?
9. What is Kostka's living situation?
10. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)