|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
(a) One, only Marketa.
(b) Three - Marketa, Zemanek and Pavel.
(d) Two, Marketa and Zemanek.
2. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
3. What does Helena claim she is looking for?
(a) New ideals.
(b) New dreams.
(c) A new political party.
4. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
(a) Send a letter at the post office.
(b) Ask an acquaintance for a discreet favor.
(c) Obtain something to eat.
(d) Buy a new suit.
5. How does Zdena feel about Zemanek?
(a) She likes him enough to get by.
(b) She worships him.
(c) She is impartial to him.
(d) She loathes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
2. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
3. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
4. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
5. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
2. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
3. What is Kostka's living situation?
4. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
5. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
6. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
7. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
8. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
9. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
10. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)