|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The fourth floor.
(b) The third floor.
(c) The second floor.
(d) The fifth floor.
2. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) Ten hours.
3. According to Ludvik, what kind of woman is Marketa?
(a) She separates work and home really well.
(b) She takes everything seriously.
(c) She can't settle down.
(d) She is always joking around.
4. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
(a) Stalin's crimes came out, but Helena remained loyal.
(b) Stalin became a hero but Pavel didn't like him.
(c) Stalin became a hero but Helena didn't like him.
(d) Stalin's crimes came out, but Pavel remained loyal.
5. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
(a) It is the voice of a stranger.
(b) It is very formal and cold.
(c) It is the voice he recognizes most.
(d) It is very soothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
2. What does Zemanek do at university?
3. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
4. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
5. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
2. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
3. Why don't Helena's coworkers like her?
4. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
5. What is Kostka's living situation?
6. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
7. What is Helena's credo?
8. How does Helena feel about the Party?
9. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
10. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)