Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
(a) Start a conversation with the man in the chair next to him.
(b) Check his appearance in the mirror.
(c) Talk to the girl shaving him right away.
(d) Avoid the mirror and look at the ceiling.
2. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Church and state.
(b) Public and private selves.
(c) Husband and wife.
(d) Politics and morals.
3. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
(a) Buy a new suit.
(b) Obtain something to eat.
(c) Send a letter at the post office.
(d) Ask an acquaintance for a discreet favor.
4. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
(a) Fourteen years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Seven years.
5. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
(a) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took their side.
(b) Helena was having multiple affairs and misleading the Party.
(c) Helena was having an affair and misled the Party.
(d) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took a stand against it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the part two?
2. Where is the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
3. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
4. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
5. At the beginning of the novel, how long has the narrator been away from his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jaroslav feel about Ludvik when they see each other after Ludvik's sentence at Ostrava?
2. Why does Ludvik say that women don't talk about their husbands to their lovers?
3. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
4. How does Kostka justify leaving his wife and child?
5. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
6. How does Kovalik suggest to Ludvik the people have come around to accepting state-sponsored rites of passage in the place of religious ceremonies?
7. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
8. Describe Jaroslav's house.
9. Why does Ludvik feel frustrated when he leaves the barber for his shave?
10. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)