|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Helena, what does Zemanek live on?
(a) His morals.
(b) Hard work.
2. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
(b) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
(c) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
(d) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
3. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
(a) A small, sad shack.
(b) Two identical towers facing each other.
(c) A complex of buildings spread out.
(d) One large building of concrete.
4. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
5. Helena claims she would do anything to save her marriage. Why?
(a) For her own sake, for the sake of the past.
(b) For Zemanek.
(c) For the Party.
(d) For her daughter, for honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
2. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
3. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
4. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
5. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
2. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
3. How does Helena feel about younger women?
4. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
5. What is the relationship between Kostka and Ludvik like?
6. What is Helena's credo?
7. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
8. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
9. What finally prompted Helena and Zemanek to get married?
10. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)