|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
(a) A fight that crushed a girl he was dating.
(b) A fight that turned into a riot.
(c) Fifty thousand people singing in Italian.
(d) Fifty thousand people screaming a slogan.
2. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She is too laid back.
(b) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(c) She doesn't do a good job.
(d) She isn't loyal enough.
3. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
(b) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(c) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(d) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
4. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
(a) In the gallows.
(b) At a demonstration.
(c) She had to interview him.
(d) He had to interview her.
5. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
(a) Exactly the same.
(b) She ignores Ludvik completely.
(c) She professes her love for Ludvik.
(d) She tells Ludvik she has another lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
2. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
3. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
4. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
5. According to Helena, what does Zemanek live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
2. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
3. After Marketa and Ludvik speak candidly about the postcard, Ludvik suggests he could win Marketa despite everything. How, and what, does he do?
4. How does Helena feel about younger women?
5. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
6. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
7. How does Ludvik describe Kostka?
8. What is Kostka's living situation?
9. What is Helena's credo?
10. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)