|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
(a) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took a stand against it.
(b) Helena was having an affair and misled the Party.
(c) Helena was having multiple affairs and misleading the Party.
(d) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took their side.
2. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
3. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(c) Candlestick, again.
4. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
5. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
(a) Helena became pregnant.
(b) Zemanek was called before a committee and kept out of Helena's way.
(c) Zemanek asked her to marry him.
(d) Helena was called before a committee and kept out of Zemanek's way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
2. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
3. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
4. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
5. Moravia reminds the narrator of what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
2. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
3. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
4. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
5. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
6. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
7. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
8. How does Helena feel about younger women?
9. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
10. How does Helena feel about the Party?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)