|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) Dr. Klara
(b) Dr. Kostka.
(c) Dr. Zemanek.
(d) Dr. Lucie
2. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
3. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
4. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
5. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
(b) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(c) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(d) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
2. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
3. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
4. What does Zemanek do at university?
5. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
2. How is Ludvik's attitude immediately following his move to Ostrava?
3. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
4. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
5. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
6. How does Helena feel about younger women?
7. After their second meeting, Ludvik tells Helena that he is going to pick her up in front of the station the following day. What did they do on this outing?
8. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
9. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
10. How does Ludvik find out the identity of the woman who shaved him?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)