|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
(a) Three - Marketa, Zemanek and Pavel.
(c) One, only Marketa.
(d) Two, Marketa and Zemanek.
2. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(b) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
(c) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
(d) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
3. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
(a) A two-year trip to study plants.
(b) Italy for a week to scout for new leadership.
(c) A month in Paris to study Marxism.
(d) A two-week Party training session.
4. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
(b) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
(c) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
(d) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
5. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
(a) On the anniversary of the Liberation in Old Town Square.
(b) At a meeting for the Youth League.
(c) While visiting Italy with their ensemble.
(d) After they married.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day following their one-day reunion, Ludvik phones Marketa. What happens?
2. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
3. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
4. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
5. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kostka's analysis of Ludvik - what does Kostka feel Ludvik's deepest motives are?
2. How does Helena feel about younger women?
3. What is strange about Helena's question for Jaroslav about the Ride of the Kings?
4. Why did Ludvik send Marketa the postcard?
5. Describe Jaroslav's house.
6. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
7. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
8. What happens during Ludvik's shave that changes the experience for him, and how does Ludvik react to the rest of his shave?
9. What happened to the historical music and literature of Czech nation in the nineteenth century?
10. Describe the crowd assembled to watch the Ride of the Kings.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)