|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
(b) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(c) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(d) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
2. According to Ludvik, what kind of woman is Marketa?
(a) She is always joking around.
(b) She takes everything seriously.
(c) She separates work and home really well.
(d) She can't settle down.
3. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The third floor.
(b) The fifth floor.
(c) The second floor.
(d) The fourth floor.
4. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
(a) Another town to get further away, where they decide to elope.
(b) Ludvik runs off and Helena returns home.
(c) A little inn for bread and sausuage.
(d) A little inn to rent a room.
5. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) Dr. Lucie
(b) Dr. Kostka.
(c) Dr. Klara
(d) Dr. Zemanek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
2. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
3. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
4. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
5. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
2. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
3. What were the early days of Helena and Zemanek's relationship like?
4. How does Helena feel about the Party?
5. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
6. What was Helena's first meeting with Ludvik like, according to Helena?
7. Describe Ludvik's hotel room in Moravia.
8. How does Ludvik take the first part of his shave?
9. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
10. What is Kostka's bachelor pad like?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)