|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The hospitals.
(b) The roads.
(c) The mines.
(d) The sewers.
2. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
(a) A man of many faces.
(b) A man with one goal.
(c) A man in love with one woman.
(d) A man at one with the regime.
3. How does Zdena feel about Zemanek?
(a) She is impartial to him.
(b) She worships him.
(c) She likes him enough to get by.
(d) She loathes him.
4. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
5. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
(a) A store that sells liquor.
(b) A decent dinner.
(c) Entertainment for the evening.
(d) A shave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
2. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
3. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
4. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
5. How much money does Ludvik pull out of his pocket to pay the woman for his shave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of the dwarfs Ludvik told Marketa.
2. Describe the circumstances under which Helena fell in love with Zemanek.
3. What is a typical day in the life of Ludvik at Ostrava?
4. What were the common criticisms given to students at University in the Party? Ludvik describes them as "seeds" that all the students carried with them, to be used against themselves at a moment's notice.
5. Describe Moravia as Ludvik sees it upon his return at the beginning of "The Joke".
6. How is Ludvik received by the dark Slovak NCO who got a first at marksmanship?
7. What is Kostka's living situation?
8. How did Marketa react to the postcard Ludvik sent?
9. How does Helena describe Zemanek in part two?
10. How does Helena feel about younger women?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)