|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
2. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
3. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(c) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
(d) Sits on a bench for two hours.
4. Who is the narrator of part four?
5. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His adversary.
(b) His mentor.
(c) His idol.
(d) His best friend.
6. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He hates her husband.
(c) She is very beautiful.
(d) He hates her father.
7. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
8. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
(a) A fairy.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) A vandal.
(d) A ghost.
9. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
10. How did the children help the unknown girl?
(a) They left her food in the same place every day.
(b) They left her food in different places.
(c) They trapped her with food and beat her.
(d) They told adults where to find her.
11. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
(a) The viola.
(b) The violin.
(c) The cello.
(d) The harmonium.
12. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) The church.
(b) The milk bar.
(c) The cafeteria.
(d) Her hotel.
13. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
14. What is Helena's favorite word?
15. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His aunt's funeral.
(b) His mother's funeral.
(c) His cousin's wedding.
(d) His mother's second wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
2. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
3. Who is the narrator in part five?
4. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
5. How long was Lucie in reform school?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)