|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
2. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
(a) She must work in the prison, doing laundry.
(b) She must work in a restaurant, serving food.
(c) She must work at the state-farm.
(d) She must work in the barber shop, giving shaves.
3. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
4. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "The assimilation rite."
(b) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(c) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(d) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
5. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
6. How did the children help the unknown girl?
(a) They left her food in the same place every day.
(b) They told adults where to find her.
(c) They left her food in different places.
(d) They trapped her with food and beat her.
7. Who is Vladimir?
(a) The son of Jaroslav.
(b) The brother of Jaroslav.
(c) The brother of Ludvik.
(d) The son of Ludvik.
8. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
(a) Kostka stands up for Ludvik's intellectual freedom.
(b) Kostka stands up for Marketa.
(c) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's religious freedom.
(d) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's girlfriend.
9. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
10. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
(a) A guitar.
(b) A violin.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A trumpet.
11. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
(a) The witness.
(b) The patriarch.
(c) The groom.
(d) The bride.
12. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
13. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His adversary.
(b) His idol.
(c) His mentor.
(d) His best friend.
14. Where does Lucie's father live?
15. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Work at a state farm.
(b) Take a year off.
(c) Work at a mine.
(d) Become a journalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
2. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
3. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
4. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
5. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)