|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Food from children.
(b) Milk from a shepherd.
(c) Clothes from a laundry.
(d) Flowers from a graveyard.
2. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She cared for his sick father.
(b) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(c) She mended his clothes in a shop.
(d) She danced in his ensemble.
3. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
(a) He asks her to read the book he is writing.
(b) He pretends Kostka is home.
(c) He tells her it is a genuine Moravian tavern.
(d) He wants to show her a genuine Moravian artifact.
4. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Drink vodka.
(b) Drink more rye.
(c) Played cards.
(d) Read poetry.
5. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
6. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The little fairy-princess."
(b) "The little grave robber."
(c) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
(d) "The little shephardess who could."
7. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) Cocoa and two rolls.
(b) Potato pancakes.
(c) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
(d) Coffee and toast.
8. Where does Lucie's father live?
9. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) Her hotel.
(b) The milk bar.
(c) The cafeteria.
(d) The church.
10. Who is the narrator of part four?
11. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They were both half-orphans.
(b) They were both very smart.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They both liked to go fishing.
12. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His aunt.
13. What is Jaroslav's secret nickname for Ludvik?
(a) Mary, quite contrary.
(b) Little Jack Horner.
(c) The Pied Piper.
14. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
15. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Baroque music.
(b) Jazz music.
(c) Moravian folk music.
(d) Chamber music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
2. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
3. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
4. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
5. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)