|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
(a) Ancient Greece.
(b) The Hungarians.
(c) Egyptian Pyramid culture.
(d) Genghis Kahn's armies.
2. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
3. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Jazz music.
(b) Moravian folk music.
(c) Chamber music.
(d) Baroque music.
4. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
5. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
6. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Five years.
7. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
(a) The doctor of western Bohemia
(b) The police.
(c) A teacher from the school in the village.
(d) The director of the farm and a chairman of the Local Council.
8. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Local bean stew and beer.
(b) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(c) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(d) Fried cheese.
9. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
(a) Her child.
(b) Her father.
10. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
11. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandmother.
12. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(b) "The assimilation rite."
(c) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
(d) "Registration of baby-comrades."
13. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They were both half-orphans.
(b) They both liked to go fishing.
(c) They were both very smart.
(d) They are cousins.
14. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
(a) A vandal.
(b) A fairy.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A gypsy.
15. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His idol.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His adversary.
(d) His mentor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
2. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
3. Who is the narrator of part six?
4. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
5. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)