|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
2. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) The cafeteria.
(b) The church.
(c) The milk bar.
(d) Her hotel.
3. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She cared for his sick father.
(b) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(c) She mended his clothes in a shop.
(d) She danced in his ensemble.
4. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Eight years.
5. Who is the narrator of part four?
6. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
7. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
(a) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's religious freedom.
(b) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's girlfriend.
(c) Kostka stands up for Marketa.
(d) Kostka stands up for Ludvik's intellectual freedom.
8. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Milk from a shepherd.
(b) Clothes from a laundry.
(c) Food from children.
(d) Flowers from a graveyard.
9. How long ago did Jaroslav's father die from the beginning of part four?
(a) Four months ago.
(b) Two years ago.
(c) One year ago.
(d) Three weeks ago.
10. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her child.
11. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
12. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
(a) He is an invalid and she doesn't want to care for him.
(b) His new wife won't allow Lucie to stay with them.
(c) He used to beat her.
(d) He is in prison.
13. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
(a) He wants to show her a genuine Moravian artifact.
(b) He asks her to read the book he is writing.
(c) He pretends Kostka is home.
(d) He tells her it is a genuine Moravian tavern.
14. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
(a) She didn't have anyone else.
(b) She was head of the gang.
(c) She loved one of the members.
(d) Her parents died.
15. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
Short Answer Questions
1. What brought Jaroslav home from University earlier than expected?
2. Who is the narrator in part five?
3. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
4. Jaroslav states, "It's not your __________ that condemn you to to solitude, it's your __________."
5. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)