|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jaroslav states, "It's not your __________ that condemn you to to solitude, it's your __________."
(a) Friends, enemies.
(b) Opressors, allies.
(c) Enemies, friends.
(d) Allies, opressors.
2. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
(a) It makes people work for a living.
(b) It fosters greed and dishonesty.
(c) It is immoral.
(d) It is an atheistic system of government.
3. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His cousin's wedding.
(b) His mother's second wedding.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His aunt's funeral.
4. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) They spread the news.
(b) The journalists.
(c) They make no noise.
(d) The uses for leftover newspaper.
5. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
6. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
(a) A star.
(b) A heart.
(c) The Kremlin.
7. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(b) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Sits on a bench for two hours.
8. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Eight years.
9. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) A vandal.
(d) A fairy.
10. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
11. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
(b) "The assimilation rite."
(c) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(d) "Registration of baby-comrades."
12. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They both liked to go fishing.
(c) They were both very smart.
(d) They were both half-orphans.
13. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
14. Where does Lucie's father live?
15. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
2. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
3. What does the narrator of part five really want for breakfast before meeting Helena?
4. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
5. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)