|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) The uses for leftover newspaper.
(b) They spread the news.
(c) The journalists.
(d) They make no noise.
2. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His father.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His mother.
3. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
4. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
(a) Egyptian Pyramid culture.
(b) Genghis Kahn's armies.
(c) The Hungarians.
(d) Ancient Greece.
5. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Drink more rye.
(b) Played cards.
(c) Drink vodka.
(d) Read poetry.
6. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
(a) The harmonium.
(b) The cello.
(c) The violin.
(d) The viola.
7. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Fried cheese.
(b) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(c) Local bean stew and beer.
(d) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
8. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) The cafeteria.
(b) Her hotel.
(c) The milk bar.
(d) The church.
9. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
(a) A fairy.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) A vandal.
(d) A ghost.
10. What does the narrator of part five really want for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) Coffee and toast.
(b) A red-eye.
(c) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
(d) Yogurt and fruit.
11. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Become a journalist.
(b) Work at a state farm.
(c) Take a year off.
(d) Work at a mine.
12. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
13. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The Goat.
(b) The Pig.
(c) The People's Room.
(d) The House of People.
14. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her child.
15. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
2. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
3. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
4. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
5. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)