|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
(a) The director of the state-farm.
2. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
(a) Her father.
(d) Her child.
3. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Moravian folk music.
(b) Jazz music.
(c) Baroque music.
(d) Chamber music.
4. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
5. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
(a) A vandal.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) A fairy.
6. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(b) "The assimilation rite."
(c) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(d) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
7. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
8. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) The journalists.
(b) They spread the news.
(c) They make no noise.
(d) The uses for leftover newspaper.
9. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) He hates her father.
(b) He hates her husband.
(c) She is very beautiful.
(d) He loves her.
10. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The Goat.
(b) The Pig.
(c) The People's Room.
(d) The House of People.
11. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
(b) A star.
(c) A heart.
(d) The Kremlin.
12. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
13. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
(b) Cocoa and two rolls.
(c) Potato pancakes.
(d) Coffee and toast.
14. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They were both half-orphans.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They both liked to go fishing.
(d) They were both very smart.
15. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Food from children.
(b) Flowers from a graveyard.
(c) Clothes from a laundry.
(d) Milk from a shepherd.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of part four?
2. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
3. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
4. Who is the narrator of part six?
5. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)