|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She danced in his ensemble.
(b) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(c) She cared for his sick father.
(d) She mended his clothes in a shop.
2. How did the children help the unknown girl?
(a) They told adults where to find her.
(b) They trapped her with food and beat her.
(c) They left her food in the same place every day.
(d) They left her food in different places.
3. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
4. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
(a) The director of the farm and a chairman of the Local Council.
(b) The police.
(c) The doctor of western Bohemia
(d) A teacher from the school in the village.
5. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
6. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Drink vodka.
(b) Drink more rye.
(c) Read poetry.
(d) Played cards.
7. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) He hates her husband.
(b) He loves her.
(c) She is very beautiful.
(d) He hates her father.
8. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) One year old.
(b) Five years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Ten years old.
9. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
10. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) Potato pancakes.
(b) Coffee and toast.
(c) Cocoa and two rolls.
(d) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
11. Who is Vladimir?
(a) The brother of Jaroslav.
(b) The son of Ludvik.
(c) The son of Jaroslav.
(d) The brother of Ludvik.
12. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Flowers from a graveyard.
(b) Clothes from a laundry.
(c) Food from children.
(d) Milk from a shepherd.
13. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
(a) He is voted to the Youth League.
(b) He wins a motorcycle race in Brno.
(c) He breaks a school record in track.
(d) He is appointed King of the festival.
14. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Sits on a bench for two hours.
(b) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
15. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
2. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
3. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
4. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
5. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)