|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
(a) A heart.
(b) A star.
(c) The Kremlin.
2. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
3. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(b) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
(c) "The assimilation rite."
(d) "Registration of baby-comrades."
4. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) A white angel.
(b) A grey cross.
(c) A black headstone.
(d) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
5. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Drink vodka.
(b) Drink more rye.
(c) Read poetry.
(d) Played cards.
6. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
(a) He wins a motorcycle race in Brno.
(b) He breaks a school record in track.
(c) He is appointed King of the festival.
(d) He is voted to the Youth League.
7. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(b) She danced in his ensemble.
(c) She cared for his sick father.
(d) She mended his clothes in a shop.
8. Who is Vladimir?
(a) The brother of Ludvik.
(b) The son of Jaroslav.
(c) The son of Ludvik.
(d) The brother of Jaroslav.
9. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
10. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
11. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(b) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(c) Local bean stew and beer.
(d) Fried cheese.
12. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
(a) He was very attracted to her.
(b) He respected journalists even more.
(c) He wanted to throw her out of his office.
(d) He didn't feel anything.
13. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) Five years old.
(b) Three years old.
(c) One year old.
(d) Ten years old.
14. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
15. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Lucie in reform school?
2. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
3. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
4. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
5. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)