|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
2. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
(a) He respected journalists even more.
(b) He was very attracted to her.
(c) He didn't feel anything.
(d) He wanted to throw her out of his office.
3. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
4. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
(a) He is appointed King of the festival.
(b) He breaks a school record in track.
(c) He wins a motorcycle race in Brno.
(d) He is voted to the Youth League.
5. How did the children help the unknown girl?
(a) They left her food in the same place every day.
(b) They trapped her with food and beat her.
(c) They left her food in different places.
(d) They told adults where to find her.
6. What does the narrator of part five really want for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) Coffee and toast.
(b) A red-eye.
(c) Yogurt and fruit.
(d) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
7. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
(b) At University for a class.
(c) At a meeting for the Party.
(d) At a dinner with his wife.
8. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
(a) A heart.
(b) The Kremlin.
(d) A star.
9. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
10. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
11. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Sits on a bench for two hours.
(c) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
(d) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
12. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) One year old.
(b) Five years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Ten years old.
13. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
14. What is Helena's favorite word?
15. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
2. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
3. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
4. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
5. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)