|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Vladimir?
(a) The son of Jaroslav.
(b) The brother of Jaroslav.
(c) The son of Ludvik.
(d) The brother of Ludvik.
2. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) She is very beautiful.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He hates her husband.
(d) He hates her father.
3. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) A white angel.
(b) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
(c) A grey cross.
(d) A black headstone.
4. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
5. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Five years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
6. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They both liked to go fishing.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They were both half-orphans.
(d) They were both very smart.
7. What is Jaroslav's secret nickname for Ludvik?
(a) The Pied Piper.
(b) Mary, quite contrary.
(d) Little Jack Horner.
8. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Sits on a bench for two hours.
(c) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(d) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
9. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
(a) She must work in the barber shop, giving shaves.
(b) She must work in a restaurant, serving food.
(c) She must work in the prison, doing laundry.
(d) She must work at the state-farm.
10. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
(a) He is voted to the Youth League.
(b) He is appointed King of the festival.
(c) He breaks a school record in track.
(d) He wins a motorcycle race in Brno.
11. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
12. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
(a) The Hungarians.
(b) Egyptian Pyramid culture.
(c) Genghis Kahn's armies.
(d) Ancient Greece.
13. What does the narrator of part five really want for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) Yogurt and fruit.
(b) A red-eye.
(c) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
(d) Coffee and toast.
14. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Local bean stew and beer.
(b) Fried cheese.
(c) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(d) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
15. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
2. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
3. How did the children help the unknown girl?
4. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
5. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)