|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
2. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His idol.
(b) His mentor.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His adversary.
3. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
4. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
5. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
(a) He is in prison.
(b) He is an invalid and she doesn't want to care for him.
(c) He used to beat her.
(d) His new wife won't allow Lucie to stay with them.
6. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
7. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
(a) The director of the farm and a chairman of the Local Council.
(b) The doctor of western Bohemia
(c) The police.
(d) A teacher from the school in the village.
8. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Three years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
9. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
(a) The patriarch.
(b) The bride.
(c) The witness.
(d) The groom.
10. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
11. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
(a) Joseph Stalin.
(b) Alexander Dubcek.
(c) Julius Fucik.
(d) Gustav Husak.
12. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
13. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
(a) She was head of the gang.
(b) Her parents died.
(c) She loved one of the members.
(d) She didn't have anyone else.
14. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
15. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
2. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
3. Who is the narrator in part five?
4. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
5. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)