|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
(a) He was very attracted to her.
(b) He wanted to throw her out of his office.
(c) He respected journalists even more.
(d) He didn't feel anything.
2. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
3. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(b) Fried cheese.
(c) Local bean stew and beer.
(d) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
4. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Milk from a shepherd.
(b) Flowers from a graveyard.
(c) Clothes from a laundry.
(d) Food from children.
5. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They both liked to go fishing.
(c) They were both half-orphans.
(d) They were both very smart.
6. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
7. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) Her hotel.
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) The church.
(d) The milk bar.
8. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Eight years.
9. Who is the narrator in part five?
10. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) Five years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) One year old.
11. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
(a) She must work in a restaurant, serving food.
(b) She must work at the state-farm.
(c) She must work in the prison, doing laundry.
(d) She must work in the barber shop, giving shaves.
12. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "The assimilation rite."
(b) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(c) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(d) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
13. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
14. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
15. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
2. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
3. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
4. Where does Lucie's father live?
5. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)