|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Local bean stew and beer.
(b) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(c) Fried cheese.
(d) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
2. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
(b) Her child.
(d) Her father.
3. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
4. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
5. What is Helena's favorite word?
6. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(b) She danced in his ensemble.
(c) She mended his clothes in a shop.
(d) She cared for his sick father.
7. What emotion alarms the narrator of part five just before meeting Helena?
8. How did the children help the unknown girl?
(a) They left her food in different places.
(b) They left her food in the same place every day.
(c) They told adults where to find her.
(d) They trapped her with food and beat her.
9. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His idol.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His adversary.
(d) His mentor.
10. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
11. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
(a) The groom.
(b) The witness.
(c) The patriarch.
(d) The bride.
12. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
13. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(b) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
(c) "The assimilation rite."
(d) "Registration of baby-comrades."
14. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
15. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
Short Answer Questions
1. What brought Jaroslav home from University earlier than expected?
2. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
3. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
4. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
5. Who is the narrator in part five?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)