|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) The journalists.
(b) They spread the news.
(c) They make no noise.
(d) The uses for leftover newspaper.
2. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
(a) He tells her it is a genuine Moravian tavern.
(b) He pretends Kostka is home.
(c) He wants to show her a genuine Moravian artifact.
(d) He asks her to read the book he is writing.
3. What brought Jaroslav home from University earlier than expected?
(a) His future wife.
(b) His mother's health.
(c) His loyalty to the Communist Party.
(d) His father's health.
4. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
5. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "The assimilation rite."
(b) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(c) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(d) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
6. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
(b) At a meeting for the Party.
(c) At a dinner with his wife.
(d) At University for a class.
7. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(b) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
(c) Sits on a bench for two hours.
(d) Takes a nap.
8. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
9. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
(a) The bride.
(b) The groom.
(c) The witness.
(d) The patriarch.
10. How did the children help the unknown girl?
(a) They told adults where to find her.
(b) They left her food in the same place every day.
(c) They left her food in different places.
(d) They trapped her with food and beat her.
11. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
(a) A guitar.
(b) A trumpet.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A violin.
12. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
(a) Alexander Dubcek.
(b) Julius Fucik.
(c) Joseph Stalin.
(d) Gustav Husak.
13. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Drink vodka.
(b) Read poetry.
(c) Drink more rye.
(d) Played cards.
14. Who is the narrator of part six?
15. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) She is very beautiful.
(b) He hates her father.
(c) He hates her husband.
(d) He loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
2. While Kostka is farming in western Bohemia, there are sightings of a young girl nobody knows. What do the children think she is?
3. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
4. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
5. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)