|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
2. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
3. What emotion alarms the narrator of part five just before meeting Helena?
4. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
5. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
(a) The director of the farm and a chairman of the Local Council.
(b) The police.
(c) The doctor of western Bohemia
(d) A teacher from the school in the village.
6. Who is Vladimir?
(a) The son of Jaroslav.
(b) The brother of Ludvik.
(c) The son of Ludvik.
(d) The brother of Jaroslav.
7. Who is the narrator of part six?
8. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
9. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
(a) He wanted to throw her out of his office.
(b) He respected journalists even more.
(c) He was very attracted to her.
(d) He didn't feel anything.
10. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
(c) The director of the state-farm.
11. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
(a) A guitar.
(b) A violin.
(c) A trumpet.
(d) A clarinet.
12. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) A grey cross.
(b) A white angel.
(c) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
(d) A black headstone.
13. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Three years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) One year old.
14. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His aunt's funeral.
(b) His cousin's wedding.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His mother's second wedding.
15. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
2. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
3. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
4. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
5. Who gave Helena the pendant she wears?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)