|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion alarms the narrator of part five just before meeting Helena?
2. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At a dinner with his wife.
(b) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
(c) At a meeting for the Party.
(d) At University for a class.
3. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
4. What brought Jaroslav home from University earlier than expected?
(a) His father's health.
(b) His future wife.
(c) His loyalty to the Communist Party.
(d) His mother's health.
5. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
6. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
(a) He used to beat her.
(b) He is in prison.
(c) His new wife won't allow Lucie to stay with them.
(d) He is an invalid and she doesn't want to care for him.
7. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) Three years old.
(b) Five years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) One year old.
8. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) A white angel.
(b) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
(c) A black headstone.
(d) A grey cross.
9. When Zemanek spoke out against Ludvik in his hearing about the postcard, he quotes one person at length. Who is it?
(a) Julius Fucik.
(b) Alexander Dubcek.
(c) Joseph Stalin.
(d) Gustav Husak.
10. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His father.
11. Jaroslav states, "It's not your __________ that condemn you to to solitude, it's your __________."
(a) Opressors, allies.
(b) Allies, opressors.
(c) Friends, enemies.
(d) Enemies, friends.
12. Where did Jaroslav go to University?
13. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
14. Who is the narrator of part six?
15. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
(c) The director of the state-farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lucie's father live?
2. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
3. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
4. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
5. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)