|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
(a) The milk bar.
(b) Her hotel.
(c) The church.
(d) The cafeteria.
2. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) He loves her.
(b) She is very beautiful.
(c) He hates her husband.
(d) He hates her father.
3. How long ago did Jaroslav's father die from the beginning of part four?
(a) Four months ago.
(b) One year ago.
(c) Three weeks ago.
(d) Two years ago.
4. Who is the narrator in part five?
5. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Clothes from a laundry.
(b) Milk from a shepherd.
(c) Flowers from a graveyard.
(d) Food from children.
6. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Eight years.
7. What brought Jaroslav home from University earlier than expected?
(a) His father's health.
(b) His loyalty to the Communist Party.
(c) His mother's health.
(d) His future wife.
8. What is Helena's favorite word?
9. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
(a) She didn't have anyone else.
(b) She was head of the gang.
(c) She loved one of the members.
(d) Her parents died.
10. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Become a journalist.
(b) Work at a state farm.
(c) Work at a mine.
(d) Take a year off.
11. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
12. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
(a) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's religious freedom.
(b) Kostka stands up for Ludvik's intellectual freedom.
(c) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's girlfriend.
(d) Kostka stands up for Marketa.
13. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
(a) They both liked to go fishing.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They were both very smart.
(d) They were both half-orphans.
14. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The House of People.
(b) The Pig.
(c) The People's Room.
(d) The Goat.
15. What does the narrator of part five really want for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) Coffee and toast.
(b) Yogurt and fruit.
(c) A red-eye.
(d) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
2. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
3. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
4. How did the children help the unknown girl?
5. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)