|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
2. What emotion alarms the narrator of part five just before meeting Helena?
3. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
(a) It fosters greed and dishonesty.
(b) It makes people work for a living.
(c) It is an atheistic system of government.
(d) It is immoral.
4. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
5. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The House of People.
(b) The People's Room.
(c) The Goat.
(d) The Pig.
6. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His cousin's wedding.
(b) His aunt's funeral.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His mother's second wedding.
7. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
8. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(b) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
(c) Sits on a bench for two hours.
(d) Takes a nap.
9. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
10. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
(a) She must work in a restaurant, serving food.
(b) She must work in the barber shop, giving shaves.
(c) She must work at the state-farm.
(d) She must work in the prison, doing laundry.
11. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
(a) Genghis Kahn's armies.
(b) The Hungarians.
(c) Egyptian Pyramid culture.
(d) Ancient Greece.
12. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Jazz music.
(b) Chamber music.
(c) Baroque music.
(d) Moravian folk music.
13. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At University for a class.
(b) At a dinner with his wife.
(c) At a meeting for the Party.
(d) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
14. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Fried cheese.
(b) Local bean stew and beer.
(c) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(d) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
15. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
(b) Potato pancakes.
(c) Coffee and toast.
(d) Cocoa and two rolls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
2. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
3. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
4. Who is the narrator in part five?
5. What brought Jaroslav home from University earlier than expected?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)