|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
2. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
(a) He didn't feel anything.
(b) He respected journalists even more.
(c) He was very attracted to her.
(d) He wanted to throw her out of his office.
3. Who is Vladimir?
(a) The son of Jaroslav.
(b) The brother of Ludvik.
(c) The son of Ludvik.
(d) The brother of Jaroslav.
4. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
5. Who finally broke Lucie of her fear of physical intimacy?
6. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) She is very beautiful.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He hates her father.
(d) He hates her husband.
7. Who leads a traditional Moravian wedding?
(a) The groom.
(b) The witness.
(c) The patriarch.
(d) The bride.
8. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His father.
9. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
10. What music does Jaroslav compare to folk music?
11. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
(a) He is an invalid and she doesn't want to care for him.
(b) He used to beat her.
(c) His new wife won't allow Lucie to stay with them.
(d) He is in prison.
12. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
(a) He pretends Kostka is home.
(b) He asks her to read the book he is writing.
(c) He wants to show her a genuine Moravian artifact.
(d) He tells her it is a genuine Moravian tavern.
13. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
14. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
(a) It makes people work for a living.
(b) It is immoral.
(c) It fosters greed and dishonesty.
(d) It is an atheistic system of government.
15. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At a dinner with his wife.
(b) At a meeting for the Party.
(c) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
(d) At University for a class.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Jaroslav's father die from the beginning of part four?
2. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
3. What is Jaroslav's secret nickname for Ludvik?
4. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
5. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)