|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
(a) Egyptian Pyramid culture.
(b) The Hungarians.
(c) Genghis Kahn's armies.
(d) Ancient Greece.
2. What is Jaroslav's secret nickname for Ludvik?
(a) The Pied Piper.
(b) Little Jack Horner.
(d) Mary, quite contrary.
3. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
(a) He used to beat her.
(b) He is an invalid and she doesn't want to care for him.
(c) His new wife won't allow Lucie to stay with them.
(d) He is in prison.
4. What emotion alarms the narrator of part five just before meeting Helena?
5. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
(c) The director of the state-farm.
6. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Take a year off.
(b) Work at a mine.
(c) Work at a state farm.
(d) Become a journalist.
7. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
(a) His mentor.
(b) His adversary.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His idol.
8. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
(a) The violin.
(b) The harmonium.
(c) The viola.
(d) The cello.
9. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
(a) Her parents died.
(b) She didn't have anyone else.
(c) She was head of the gang.
(d) She loved one of the members.
10. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
(a) She must work at the state-farm.
(b) She must work in a restaurant, serving food.
(c) She must work in the barber shop, giving shaves.
(d) She must work in the prison, doing laundry.
11. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
(a) His father.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His mother.
12. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The People's Room.
(b) The House of People.
(c) The Goat.
(d) The Pig.
13. Who teaches Lucie about Christianity?
14. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
(a) He wants to show her a genuine Moravian artifact.
(b) He pretends Kostka is home.
(c) He tells her it is a genuine Moravian tavern.
(d) He asks her to read the book he is writing.
15. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) One year old.
(b) Five years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Three years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brought Jaroslav and Ludvik together when they were young boys?
2. How does Helena describe Ludvik during their lunch together.
3. What instrument did Ludvik play when he was a schoolboy?
4. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
5. How long ago did Jaroslav's father die from the beginning of part four?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)