|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of headstone marked the grave of Ludvik's mother?
(a) A white angel.
(b) She did not get a grave marker, they were so poor.
(c) A grey cross.
(d) A black headstone.
2. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
(b) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(c) "The assimilation rite."
(d) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
3. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
(a) She must work at the state-farm.
(b) She must work in the prison, doing laundry.
(c) She must work in a restaurant, serving food.
(d) She must work in the barber shop, giving shaves.
4. Who is the narrator of part four?
5. Who is Vladimir?
(a) The brother of Ludvik.
(b) The brother of Jaroslav.
(c) The son of Ludvik.
(d) The son of Jaroslav.
6. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
7. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
8. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) Five years old.
(b) One year old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Ten years old.
9. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
(a) The Pig.
(b) The House of People.
(c) The Goat.
(d) The People's Room.
10. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At University for a class.
(b) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
(c) At a dinner with his wife.
(d) At a meeting for the Party.
11. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
12. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Played cards.
(b) Read poetry.
(c) Drink vodka.
(d) Drink more rye.
13. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(b) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
(c) Sits on a bench for two hours.
(d) Takes a nap.
14. Who is the narrator of part six?
15. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She mended his clothes in a shop.
(b) She cared for his sick father.
(c) She danced in his ensemble.
(d) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
2. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
3. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
4. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
5. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)