|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
2. What is Helena's favorite word?
3. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Take a year off.
(b) Become a journalist.
(c) Work at a state farm.
(d) Work at a mine.
4. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
(b) The director of the state-farm.
5. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
(a) The director of the farm and a chairman of the Local Council.
(b) The police.
(c) A teacher from the school in the village.
(d) The doctor of western Bohemia
6. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(b) Fried cheese.
(c) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(d) Local bean stew and beer.
7. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
8. What instrument is Jaroslav's favorite in his house, of all his possessions?
(a) The viola.
(b) The cello.
(c) The violin.
(d) The harmonium.
9. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Read poetry.
(b) Drink vodka.
(c) Played cards.
(d) Drink more rye.
10. Who is the narrator in part five?
11. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The little shephardess who could."
(b) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
(c) "The little fairy-princess."
(d) "The little grave robber."
12. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) They spread the news.
(b) The uses for leftover newspaper.
(c) They make no noise.
(d) The journalists.
13. Why does Ludvik want to have an affair with Helena?
(a) He hates her father.
(b) She is very beautiful.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He hates her husband.
14. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She danced in his ensemble.
(b) She cared for his sick father.
(c) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(d) She mended his clothes in a shop.
15. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
2. What do Ludvik and Helena drink while waiting for lunch?
3. After Helena arrives in Moravia, where does she go first?
4. How many mothers sit in a semi-circle in the simulated baptism in part five?
5. What year did Kostka meet Ludvik?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)