|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the children help the unknown girl?
(a) They told adults where to find her.
(b) They left her food in different places.
(c) They left her food in the same place every day.
(d) They trapped her with food and beat her.
2. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
(a) The Kremlin.
(b) A star.
(c) A heart.
3. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
(a) "Meeting of infant-citizens."
(b) "Registration of baby-comrades."
(c) "The assimilation rite."
(d) "Welcoming new citizens to life."
4. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
5. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
(a) Her parents died.
(b) She didn't have anyone else.
(c) She was head of the gang.
(d) She loved one of the members.
6. How old was Kostka's child when he was made to decide his stance on religion in the Party?
(a) Three years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) One year old.
(d) Five years old.
7. According to Ludvik, what is the one good feature about newspapers?
(a) They spread the news.
(b) The journalists.
(c) They make no noise.
(d) The uses for leftover newspaper.
8. What is the narrator doing when part four begins?
9. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
10. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Become a journalist.
(b) Take a year off.
(c) Work at a state farm.
(d) Work at a mine.
11. Ludvik sees an old friend at the simulated baptism. What is the old friend's name?
12. Who is the narrator of part four?
13. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
14. How long was Lucie in reform school?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
15. What did the director of the state-farm call Lucie?
(a) "The little shephardess who could."
(b) "The little grave robber."
(c) "The best cook in all of Bohemia."
(d) "The little fairy-princess."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ludvik and Helena have lunch after she arrives in Moravia?
2. Where does Lucie's father live?
3. What kind of garland did Vlasta wear in her hair on her wedding day?
4. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
5. Kostka reveals how he feels about Ludvik. What does Kostka call Ludvik?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)