|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator of part five have for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
(b) Coffee and toast.
(c) Potato pancakes.
(d) Cocoa and two rolls.
2. What is Jaroslav's secret nickname for Ludvik?
(a) Mary, quite contrary.
(b) The Pied Piper.
(c) Little Jack Horner.
3. The only person Lucie related her past to is Kostka. Who is the only person Kostka told?
(c) The director of the state-farm.
4. Why doesn't Lucie want to return to her father?
(a) He is in prison.
(b) He used to beat her.
(c) He is an invalid and she doesn't want to care for him.
(d) His new wife won't allow Lucie to stay with them.
5. After Ludvik's exile and return, Jaroslav asks Ludvik to join him where?
(a) At University for a class.
(b) At a meeting for the Party.
(c) At a dinner with his wife.
(d) At a rehearsal for the ensemble.
6. What was Lucie caught stealing before she left Ostrava?
(a) Food from children.
(b) Flowers from a graveyard.
(c) Clothes from a laundry.
(d) Milk from a shepherd.
7. How much longer was Kostka at University after Ludvik was expelled?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
8. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Jazz music.
(b) Chamber music.
(c) Moravian folk music.
(d) Baroque music.
9. What does Ludvik order for lunch with Helena?
(a) Roulade of beef and another round of rye, with a soda chaser.
(b) Chicken and vegetables with another round of rye.
(c) Local bean stew and beer.
(d) Fried cheese.
10. What does Kostka decide to do when he resigns from University?
(a) Become a journalist.
(b) Work at a mine.
(c) Work at a state farm.
(d) Take a year off.
11. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
12. What does the narrator of part five really want for breakfast before meeting Helena?
(a) Yogurt and fruit.
(b) Coffee and toast.
(c) A hearty breakfast and a shot of vodka.
(d) A red-eye.
13. What emotion alarms the narrator of part five just before meeting Helena?
14. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
(a) Egyptian Pyramid culture.
(b) Genghis Kahn's armies.
(c) The Hungarians.
(d) Ancient Greece.
15. How does Ludvik persuade Helena to go into Kostka's flat?
(a) He asks her to read the book he is writing.
(b) He pretends Kostka is home.
(c) He wants to show her a genuine Moravian artifact.
(d) He tells her it is a genuine Moravian tavern.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
2. Why did Lucie spend time with the gang from her childhood?
3. What helped spread the resurgence of folk music in Jaroslav's university years?
4. What honor is given to Vladimir in part four?
5. When Ludvik was a young boy in school, financial troubles almost prevented his continuing education. Who saved Ludvik in the eleventh hour?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)