|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state is Helena when she finally leaves Kostka's flat a few minutes before seven?
2. How many boys were in the game from Lucie's childhood?
3. What was the narrator of part five doing just before the narration begins?
4. How many years did Jaroslav and Ludvik share a school bench when they were younger?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Eight years.
5. What is Jaroslav particularly fond of, as he details in part four?
(a) Baroque music.
(b) Jazz music.
(c) Moravian folk music.
(d) Chamber music.
6. After what family event did Ludvik denounce the Church?
(a) His mother's funeral.
(b) His cousin's wedding.
(c) His aunt's funeral.
(d) His mother's second wedding.
7. Who discovered where the unknown girl was spending her nights?
(a) The police.
(b) The doctor of western Bohemia
(c) A teacher from the school in the village.
(d) The director of the farm and a chairman of the Local Council.
8. Why did Kostka's fellow Christians dislike Communism?
(a) It is an atheistic system of government.
(b) It is immoral.
(c) It fosters greed and dishonesty.
(d) It makes people work for a living.
9. Even though Ludvik senses Helena is ready to consummate their affair, he decides to take his time. What do they do first?
(a) Drink vodka.
(b) Drink more rye.
(c) Read poetry.
(d) Played cards.
10. How did Ludvik feel about Helena after their first meeting?
(a) He didn't feel anything.
(b) He wanted to throw her out of his office.
(c) He was very attracted to her.
(d) He respected journalists even more.
11. Where does Kostka believe Ludvik is living, figuratively?
12. What event brought Ludvik and Kostka together for their first conversation?
(a) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's religious freedom.
(b) Kostka stands up for Ludvik's intellectual freedom.
(c) Ludvik stands up for Kostka's girlfriend.
(d) Kostka stands up for Marketa.
13. How long was Lucie in reform school?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
14. How does the narrator of part five kill time before meeting Helena?
(a) Sits on a bench for two hours.
(b) Reads a paper and goes into a church.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Visits all the old childhood haunts.
15. How did Jaroslav meet his future wife?
(a) She mended his clothes in a shop.
(b) She danced in his ensemble.
(c) She tended a farm next door to Jaroslav.
(d) She cared for his sick father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ludvik's friend call the simulated, state-approved baptism?
2. What is engraved on the silver pendant Helena wears?
3. Who looks after Lucie after she starts at the state-farm?
4. On what condition is Lucie allowed to stay in western Bohemia?
5. How far back does Jaroslav trace his beloved music back in history? Where do the musical roots begin?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)