|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kostka hopes that Ludvik will use his flat for what?
(a) "Something destructive."
(b) "Something very clean."
(c) "Something very laughable."
(d) "Something really beautiful."
2. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
(a) Talk to the girl shaving him right away.
(b) Check his appearance in the mirror.
(c) Start a conversation with the man in the chair next to him.
(d) Avoid the mirror and look at the ceiling.
3. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
(a) A store that sells liquor.
(b) A decent dinner.
(c) A shave.
(d) Entertainment for the evening.
4. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
(a) Three - Marketa, Zemanek and Pavel.
(b) One, only Marketa.
(c) Two, Marketa and Zemanek.
5. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
(a) Her stomach.
(b) Her brain.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her lungs.
6. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(b) Candlestick, again.
7. What happened to Zemanek and Helena after the demonstration in Old Town Square?
(a) They decided to meet up after returning to University.
(b) They joined the riot.
(c) They held hands and roamed through Prague.
(d) They parted ways.
8. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
(a) Another town to get further away, where they decide to elope.
(b) A little inn to rent a room.
(c) A little inn for bread and sausuage.
(d) Ludvik runs off and Helena returns home.
9. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
(a) A fantasy.
(b) A conversation.
(c) A nap.
(d) A lie.
10. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(b) She doesn't do a good job.
(c) She is too laid back.
(d) She isn't loyal enough.
11. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
(a) Everyone loves in different ways.
(b) They married out of Party discipline.
(c) That he believed Zdena wasn't his daughter.
(d) He was sorry they were fighting and he loves her.
12. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
(a) Ludvik asks Kostka to get him a job.
(b) Ludvik asks Kostka to lend him some clothes.
(c) Ludvik asks Kostka to buy him dinner.
(d) Ludvik asks Kostka to use his flat.
13. When did Helena move to Prague?
14. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
(a) Cosy; very well furnished.
(b) Comfortable; a firm bed.
(c) Sparse; not exactly attractive.
(d) Welcoming; two chairs at the table.
15. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
Short Answer Questions
1. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
2. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
3. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
4. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
5. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)