|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
(a) Court of Honor
(b) In the Court of Labor.
(c) Labor and You: A Story of Honor
(d) The Honor of Labor
2. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
3. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
(a) Another town to get further away, where they decide to elope.
(b) A little inn to rent a room.
(c) Ludvik runs off and Helena returns home.
(d) A little inn for bread and sausuage.
4. The day following their one-day reunion, Ludvik phones Marketa. What happens?
(a) Marketa makes a date with him that weekend.
(b) A stranger tells Ludvik that Marketa moved to Bratislava.
(c) A stranger tells Ludvik that Marketa moved to Prague.
(d) Marketa makes a date with him that night.
5. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Fourteen years.
6. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
(a) MIlan Rufus.
(b) Pavel Zajicek.
(c) Frantisek Halas.
(d) Andre Brenton.
7. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
(a) Sect of Young Marxists.
(b) League of University Students.
(c) Justice of Collegiate Students.
(d) Society of Students.
8. Helena claims she would do anything to save her marriage. Why?
(a) For the Party.
(b) For her daughter, for honor.
(c) For her own sake, for the sake of the past.
(d) For Zemanek.
9. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(a) Candlestick, again.
10. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
(a) Her professor.
(c) The Comrades.
(d) Her parents.
11. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
(a) The Station of the League of Students.
(b) The Party Pentagon.
(c) Stalin's Command Center.
(d) The District Party Headquarters.
12. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
(a) Ludvik dislikes this woman.
(b) Ludvik knows the woman's younger sister.
(c) Ludvik knows the woman.
(d) Ludvik doesn't know this woman.
13. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
14. What is the name of the woman who shaves Ludvik?
15. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
(a) Cleaning her house until the dawn.
(b) Mending clothes all night.
(c) Staying up late to read.
(d) Going to bed early.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
2. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
3. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
4. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
5. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)