|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ludvik, what kind of woman is Marketa?
(a) She takes everything seriously.
(b) She separates work and home really well.
(c) She can't settle down.
(d) She is always joking around.
2. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
(a) Zemanek was called before a committee and kept out of Helena's way.
(b) Zemanek asked her to marry him.
(c) Helena was called before a committee and kept out of Zemanek's way.
(d) Helena became pregnant.
3. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
(a) Raising her child.
(d) In the gallows.
4. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
(a) Staying up late to read.
(b) Mending clothes all night.
(c) Going to bed early.
(d) Cleaning her house until the dawn.
5. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
(a) Fifty thousand people singing in Italian.
(b) A fight that turned into a riot.
(c) Fifty thousand people screaming a slogan.
(d) A fight that crushed a girl he was dating.
6. Who at Helena's work station likes her?
(c) All the girls.
(d) Her boss.
7. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
(a) A store that sells liquor.
(b) A shave.
(c) Entertainment for the evening.
(d) A decent dinner.
8. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
(a) Italy for a week to scout for new leadership.
(b) A two-year trip to study plants.
(c) A two-week Party training session.
(d) A month in Paris to study Marxism.
9. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(b) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(c) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
(d) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
10. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
(a) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took their side.
(b) Helena was having an affair and misled the Party.
(c) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took a stand against it.
(d) Helena was having multiple affairs and misleading the Party.
11. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
(a) Obtain something to eat.
(b) Buy a new suit.
(c) Ask an acquaintance for a discreet favor.
(d) Send a letter at the post office.
12. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
(a) In the gallows.
(b) At a demonstration.
(c) He had to interview her.
(d) She had to interview him.
13. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
14. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
15. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
Short Answer Questions
1. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
2. At the beginning of the novel, how long has the narrator been away from his home?
3. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
4. What floor does Kostka live on?
5. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)