|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
(a) League of University Students.
(b) Sect of Young Marxists.
(c) Justice of Collegiate Students.
(d) Society of Students.
2. What does Helena claim she is looking for?
(a) New ideals.
(b) New dreams.
(d) A new political party.
3. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
4. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(b) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(c) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(d) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
5. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
6. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
(b) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(c) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
(d) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
7. How much money does Ludvik pull out of his pocket to pay the woman for his shave?
(a) Five crowns.
(b) One crown.
(c) Four crowns.
(d) Ten crowns.
8. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
(a) At a demonstration.
(b) He had to interview her.
(c) She had to interview him.
(d) In the gallows.
9. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
(a) A store that sells liquor.
(b) A decent dinner.
(c) A shave.
(d) Entertainment for the evening.
10. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Two days.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) Ten hours.
(d) Three hours.
11. How does Zdena feel about Zemanek?
(a) She worships him.
(b) She likes him enough to get by.
(c) She is impartial to him.
(d) She loathes him.
12. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Go to the hospital.
(b) Go wandering.
(c) Meet a lover.
(d) Have dinner.
13. What does Zemanek do at university?
(a) Lecture on history.
(b) Lecture on Stalin.
(c) Lecture on Marxism.
(d) Lecture on math.
14. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
(a) Two identical towers facing each other.
(b) A complex of buildings spread out.
(c) A small, sad shack.
(d) One large building of concrete.
15. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
(a) It is very formal and cold.
(b) It is very soothing.
(c) It is the voice of a stranger.
(d) It is the voice he recognizes most.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kostka live?
2. Who is the narrator of the part two?
3. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
4. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
5. What happened to Zemanek and Helena after the demonstration in Old Town Square?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)