|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
2. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
(a) To do a feature on the gallows.
(b) To do a feature on the Ride of the Kings.
(c) She made up a reason to get away from Ludvik.
(d) She made up a reason to get closer to Ludvik.
3. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
(a) His old school.
(b) His mother's house.
(c) To see a dear friend.
(d) His hotel.
4. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
(a) In the gallows.
(b) He had to interview her.
(c) She had to interview him.
(d) At a demonstration.
5. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A photograph of Stalin.
(b) A poem in a letter.
(c) A joke on a postcard.
(d) A joke in letter.
6. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
7. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
8. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
(a) It is very formal and cold.
(b) It is the voice of a stranger.
(c) It is the voice he recognizes most.
(d) It is very soothing.
9. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(b) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
(c) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(d) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
10. At the beginning of the novel, how long has the narrator been away from his home?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
11. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
(b) In the gallows.
(c) Raising her child.
12. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
(a) The District Party Headquarters.
(b) Stalin's Command Center.
(c) The Station of the League of Students.
(d) The Party Pentagon.
13. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
(a) Helena was having multiple affairs and misleading the Party.
(b) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took a stand against it.
(c) Helena was having an affair and misled the Party.
(d) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took their side.
14. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(b) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(c) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
(d) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
15. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
(a) Fourteen years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Seven years.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
2. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
3. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
4. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
5. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)