|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
(a) Zemanek asked her to marry him.
(b) Zemanek was called before a committee and kept out of Helena's way.
(c) Helena became pregnant.
(d) Helena was called before a committee and kept out of Zemanek's way.
2. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
3. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Go wandering.
(b) Have dinner.
(c) Meet a lover.
(d) Go to the hospital.
4. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
(a) One, only Marketa.
(c) Two, Marketa and Zemanek.
(d) Three - Marketa, Zemanek and Pavel.
5. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She isn't loyal enough.
(b) She is too laid back.
(c) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(d) She doesn't do a good job.
6. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The fifth floor.
(b) The second floor.
(c) The fourth floor.
(d) The third floor.
7. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
(a) A man in love with one woman.
(b) A man of many faces.
(c) A man at one with the regime.
(d) A man with one goal.
8. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
(a) Around 1948.
(b) Around 1945
(c) Around 1958.
(d) Around 1940.
9. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(b) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(c) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
(d) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
10. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
11. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
12. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
(a) In Old Town Square.
(b) On St. John's Bridge.
(c) In class at University.
(d) At the Fucik Song and Dance Ensemble.
13. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
(a) The Comrades.
(b) Her parents.
(d) Her professor.
14. Where does Kostka live?
(a) A bachelor flat in a new complex.
(b) In the same hotel Ludvik is staying in.
(c) He has a room in the hospital.
(d) A two-room flat in another town 30 miles away.
15. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
(a) He finds it charming.
(b) He finds it unsightly.
(c) He finds it changed from his memory.
(d) He finds it beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
2. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
3. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
4. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
5. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)