|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Nine years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Fourteen years.
2. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
(a) His hotel.
(b) To see a dear friend.
(c) His old school.
(d) His mother's house.
3. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
(a) Raising her child.
(b) In the gallows.
4. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
(a) Stalin's Command Center.
(b) The Station of the League of Students.
(c) The District Party Headquarters.
(d) The Party Pentagon.
5. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Ten hours.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three hours.
6. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
7. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
8. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
9. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
(a) Around 1940.
(b) Around 1958.
(c) Around 1945
(d) Around 1948.
10. According to Ludvik, what kind of woman is Marketa?
(a) She can't settle down.
(b) She separates work and home really well.
(c) She takes everything seriously.
(d) She is always joking around.
11. Kostka hopes that Ludvik will use his flat for what?
(a) "Something very clean."
(b) "Something destructive."
(c) "Something very laughable."
(d) "Something really beautiful."
12. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
(b) Her parents.
(c) The Comrades.
(d) Her professor.
13. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The sewers.
(b) The roads.
(c) The hospitals.
(d) The mines.
14. Where does Kostka live?
(a) A two-room flat in another town 30 miles away.
(b) In the same hotel Ludvik is staying in.
(c) He has a room in the hospital.
(d) A bachelor flat in a new complex.
15. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
(a) They are a small family of three.
(b) They are a man and a woman.
(c) They are a large family of five.
(d) It is an old man traveling alone, talking to himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zemanek do at university?
2. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
3. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
4. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
5. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)