|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
(a) Around 1948.
(b) Around 1940.
(c) Around 1945
(d) Around 1958.
2. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
3. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
(a) Ludvik asks Kostka to lend him some clothes.
(b) Ludvik asks Kostka to use his flat.
(c) Ludvik asks Kostka to buy him dinner.
(d) Ludvik asks Kostka to get him a job.
4. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
(a) Staying up late to read.
(b) Going to bed early.
(c) Cleaning her house until the dawn.
(d) Mending clothes all night.
5. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) Dr. Lucie
(b) Dr. Zemanek.
(c) Dr. Kostka.
(d) Dr. Klara
6. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
(a) At a demonstration.
(b) He had to interview her.
(c) In the gallows.
(d) She had to interview him.
7. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
8. Where does Kostka live?
(a) A two-room flat in another town 30 miles away.
(b) A bachelor flat in a new complex.
(c) He has a room in the hospital.
(d) In the same hotel Ludvik is staying in.
9. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
(a) Ludvik dislikes this woman.
(b) Ludvik knows the woman.
(c) Ludvik knows the woman's younger sister.
(d) Ludvik doesn't know this woman.
10. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
(a) Her lungs.
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her stomach.
(d) Her brain.
11. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
(a) Sect of Young Marxists.
(b) Justice of Collegiate Students.
(c) Society of Students.
(d) League of University Students.
12. Helena claims she would do anything to save her marriage. Why?
(a) For the Party.
(b) For her daughter, for honor.
(c) For Zemanek.
(d) For her own sake, for the sake of the past.
13. Kostka hopes that Ludvik will use his flat for what?
(a) "Something really beautiful."
(b) "Something very clean."
(c) "Something very laughable."
(d) "Something destructive."
14. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
15. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who at Helena's work station likes her?
2. When Ludvik finally goes before the plenary session of the Department of Natural Sciences, how many people speak for him?
3. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
4. What does Zemanek do at university?
5. What does the river in Moravia look like?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)