|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
(a) A little inn for bread and sausuage.
(b) Ludvik runs off and Helena returns home.
(c) A little inn to rent a room.
(d) Another town to get further away, where they decide to elope.
2. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
3. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
(b) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
(c) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
(d) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
4. When did Helena move to Prague?
5. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
(a) She tells Ludvik she has another lover.
(b) Exactly the same.
(c) She professes her love for Ludvik.
(d) She ignores Ludvik completely.
6. Where does Kostka live?
(a) He has a room in the hospital.
(b) A two-room flat in another town 30 miles away.
(c) In the same hotel Ludvik is staying in.
(d) A bachelor flat in a new complex.
7. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
(a) "Justice to people."
(b) "Honor to justice."
(c) "Honor to labor."
(d) "People for labor."
8. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The hospitals.
(b) The mines.
(c) The sewers.
(d) The roads.
9. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
10. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
(a) Fifty thousand people singing in Italian.
(b) Fifty thousand people screaming a slogan.
(c) A fight that turned into a riot.
(d) A fight that crushed a girl he was dating.
11. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(b) She doesn't do a good job.
(c) She isn't loyal enough.
(d) She is too laid back.
12. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Go to the hospital.
(b) Have dinner.
(c) Meet a lover.
(d) Go wandering.
13. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The fourth floor.
(b) The fifth floor.
(c) The third floor.
(d) The second floor.
14. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
(a) It is an old man traveling alone, talking to himself.
(b) They are a man and a woman.
(c) They are a small family of three.
(d) They are a large family of five.
15. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
2. What does Zemanek do at university?
3. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
4. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
5. What is the name of the woman who shaves Ludvik?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)