|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
2. According to Ludvik, what kind of woman is Marketa?
(a) She takes everything seriously.
(b) She is always joking around.
(c) She separates work and home really well.
(d) She can't settle down.
3. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
(a) Helena was having multiple affairs and misleading the Party.
(b) Helena was having an affair and misled the Party.
(c) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took their side.
(d) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took a stand against it.
4. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Two days.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Ten hours.
5. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
6. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
(a) Labor and You: A Story of Honor
(b) Court of Honor
(c) The Honor of Labor
(d) In the Court of Labor.
7. How much money does Ludvik pull out of his pocket to pay the woman for his shave?
(a) Ten crowns.
(b) Four crowns.
(c) One crown.
(d) Five crowns.
8. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
9. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
(a) A store that sells liquor.
(b) Entertainment for the evening.
(c) A shave.
(d) A decent dinner.
10. The day following their one-day reunion, Ludvik phones Marketa. What happens?
(a) Marketa makes a date with him that weekend.
(b) Marketa makes a date with him that night.
(c) A stranger tells Ludvik that Marketa moved to Bratislava.
(d) A stranger tells Ludvik that Marketa moved to Prague.
11. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
12. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
(a) Fifty thousand people singing in Italian.
(b) Fifty thousand people screaming a slogan.
(c) A fight that turned into a riot.
(d) A fight that crushed a girl he was dating.
13. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
(a) Two identical towers facing each other.
(b) A complex of buildings spread out.
(c) A small, sad shack.
(d) One large building of concrete.
14. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
(a) After they married.
(b) At a meeting for the Youth League.
(c) While visiting Italy with their ensemble.
(d) On the anniversary of the Liberation in Old Town Square.
15. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
(a) The Station of the League of Students.
(b) The Party Pentagon.
(c) Stalin's Command Center.
(d) The District Party Headquarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
2. How does Zdena feel about Zemanek?
3. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
4. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
5. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)