|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(c) Candlestick, again.
2. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
3. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A poem in a letter.
(b) A photograph of Stalin.
(c) A joke in letter.
(d) A joke on a postcard.
4. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Go wandering.
(b) Go to the hospital.
(c) Have dinner.
(d) Meet a lover.
5. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
6. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
(a) She made up a reason to get away from Ludvik.
(b) To do a feature on the gallows.
(c) She made up a reason to get closer to Ludvik.
(d) To do a feature on the Ride of the Kings.
7. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
8. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) Ten hours.
(d) Two days.
9. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
10. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
(a) Italy for a week to scout for new leadership.
(b) A two-year trip to study plants.
(c) A month in Paris to study Marxism.
(d) A two-week Party training session.
11. Where is the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) He did not come to work that day.
(b) He is out on lunch.
(c) He just left and is on his way out.
(d) He is in his office.
12. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Husband and wife.
(b) Politics and morals.
(c) Public and private selves.
(d) Church and state.
13. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
(a) Her heart.
(b) Her stomach.
(c) Her brain.
(d) Her lungs.
14. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
(a) An inquiry about the quality of his work.
(b) A promotion because of his loyalty.
(c) An inquiry about the postcard he sent Marketa.
(d) A promotion because of his innovations.
15. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
(b) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(c) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(d) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
2. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
3. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
4. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
5. Helena claims she would do anything to save her marriage. Why?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)