|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the part two?
2. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
(a) Ludvik knows the woman.
(b) Ludvik dislikes this woman.
(c) Ludvik doesn't know this woman.
(d) Ludvik knows the woman's younger sister.
3. Kostka hopes that Ludvik will use his flat for what?
(a) "Something really beautiful."
(b) "Something very laughable."
(c) "Something destructive."
(d) "Something very clean."
4. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
5. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
(c) In the gallows.
(d) Raising her child.
6. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
(a) Ludvik asks Kostka to get him a job.
(b) Ludvik asks Kostka to lend him some clothes.
(c) Ludvik asks Kostka to buy him dinner.
(d) Ludvik asks Kostka to use his flat.
7. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
(a) "Justice to people."
(b) "People for labor."
(c) "Honor to labor."
(d) "Honor to justice."
8. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
(a) Her lungs.
(b) Her brain.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her stomach.
9. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
(a) It is overly lavish.
(b) It is very attractive.
(c) It is sparse.
(d) It is dingy.
10. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
(a) She made up a reason to get closer to Ludvik.
(b) She made up a reason to get away from Ludvik.
(c) To do a feature on the Ride of the Kings.
(d) To do a feature on the gallows.
11. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Church and state.
(b) Public and private selves.
(c) Husband and wife.
(d) Politics and morals.
12. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
(a) He is melancholy and artistic.
(b) He is strange and mysterious.
(c) He is normal and straightforward.
(d) He is changable.
13. What happened to Zemanek and Helena after the demonstration in Old Town Square?
(a) They held hands and roamed through Prague.
(b) They parted ways.
(c) They decided to meet up after returning to University.
(d) They joined the riot.
14. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
(a) A complex of buildings spread out.
(b) A small, sad shack.
(c) One large building of concrete.
(d) Two identical towers facing each other.
15. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
(a) An inquiry about the quality of his work.
(b) A promotion because of his loyalty.
(c) An inquiry about the postcard he sent Marketa.
(d) A promotion because of his innovations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
2. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
3. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
4. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
5. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)