|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
(a) It is the voice he recognizes most.
(b) It is very soothing.
(c) It is the voice of a stranger.
(d) It is very formal and cold.
2. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The fourth floor.
(c) The fifth floor.
(d) The third floor.
3. What does the river in Moravia look like?
(a) Viscous clay.
(b) It is full of fish.
(c) Crystal clear water.
(d) It has dried up completely.
4. Who is the narrator of the part two?
5. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
(a) To see a dear friend.
(b) His mother's house.
(c) His hotel.
(d) His old school.
6. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Have dinner.
(b) Go to the hospital.
(c) Meet a lover.
(d) Go wandering.
7. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
8. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
9. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
10. Where does Kostka live?
(a) He has a room in the hospital.
(b) In the same hotel Ludvik is staying in.
(c) A two-room flat in another town 30 miles away.
(d) A bachelor flat in a new complex.
11. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She doesn't do a good job.
(b) She is too laid back.
(c) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(d) She isn't loyal enough.
12. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
13. The day following their one-day reunion, Ludvik phones Marketa. What happens?
(a) Marketa makes a date with him that night.
(b) Marketa makes a date with him that weekend.
(c) A stranger tells Ludvik that Marketa moved to Prague.
(d) A stranger tells Ludvik that Marketa moved to Bratislava.
14. When Ludvik sits down to have a shave, what does he do?
(a) Talk to the girl shaving him right away.
(b) Check his appearance in the mirror.
(c) Avoid the mirror and look at the ceiling.
(d) Start a conversation with the man in the chair next to him.
15. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
(a) Everyone loves in different ways.
(b) That he believed Zdena wasn't his daughter.
(c) He was sorry they were fighting and he loves her.
(d) They married out of Party discipline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
2. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
3. What is the name of the woman who shaves Ludvik?
4. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
5. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)