|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ludvik, what kind of woman is Marketa?
(a) She is always joking around.
(b) She can't settle down.
(c) She separates work and home really well.
(d) She takes everything seriously.
2. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(b) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(c) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
(d) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
3. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She doesn't do a good job.
(b) She isn't loyal enough.
(c) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(d) She is too laid back.
4. Where does Kostka live?
(a) A two-room flat in another town 30 miles away.
(b) In the same hotel Ludvik is staying in.
(c) He has a room in the hospital.
(d) A bachelor flat in a new complex.
5. What does the river in Moravia look like?
(a) It is full of fish.
(b) Viscous clay.
(c) Crystal clear water.
(d) It has dried up completely.
6. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
(a) It is the voice he recognizes most.
(b) It is the voice of a stranger.
(c) It is very formal and cold.
(d) It is very soothing.
7. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Meet a lover.
(b) Go wandering.
(c) Go to the hospital.
(d) Have dinner.
8. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
9. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
10. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
(a) He is back in Prague with his regular barber.
(b) He is being cleaned by someone else.
(c) She is slapping him.
(d) She is caressing him.
11. What movie does Ludvik end up watching in his pursuit of the person he is following on his weekend alone?
(a) Court of Honor
(b) The Honor of Labor
(c) In the Court of Labor.
(d) Labor and You: A Story of Honor
12. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
(a) MIlan Rufus.
(b) Andre Brenton.
(c) Pavel Zajicek.
(d) Frantisek Halas.
13. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
(a) A man in love with one woman.
(b) A man at one with the regime.
(c) A man with one goal.
(d) A man of many faces.
14. In the beginning of the novel, the narrator claims his mission could have been completed in what city?
15. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
(a) He finds it unsightly.
(b) He finds it beautiful.
(c) He finds it changed from his memory.
(d) He finds it charming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who at Helena's work station likes her?
2. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
3. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
4. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
5. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)