|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
2. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
(a) Around 1958.
(b) Around 1945
(c) Around 1948.
(d) Around 1940.
3. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She is too laid back.
(b) She isn't loyal enough.
(c) She doesn't do a good job.
(d) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
4. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
(a) He is being cleaned by someone else.
(b) She is caressing him.
(c) He is back in Prague with his regular barber.
(d) She is slapping him.
5. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
(a) They are a large family of five.
(b) It is an old man traveling alone, talking to himself.
(c) They are a small family of three.
(d) They are a man and a woman.
6. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Go wandering.
(b) Have dinner.
(c) Go to the hospital.
(d) Meet a lover.
7. What does Helena claim she is looking for?
(a) New dreams.
(b) A new political party.
(c) New ideals.
8. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
(a) Welcoming; two chairs at the table.
(b) Cosy; very well furnished.
(c) Comfortable; a firm bed.
(d) Sparse; not exactly attractive.
9. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
(a) A small, sad shack.
(b) Two identical towers facing each other.
(c) One large building of concrete.
(d) A complex of buildings spread out.
10. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
11. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
(a) "Honor to justice."
(b) "Honor to labor."
(c) "People for labor."
(d) "Justice to people."
12. Who is the narrator of the part two?
13. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
(b) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
(c) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
(d) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
14. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(b) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(c) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(d) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
15. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
(a) On St. John's Bridge.
(b) In class at University.
(c) At the Fucik Song and Dance Ensemble.
(d) In Old Town Square.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
2. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
3. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
4. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
5. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)