|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
(a) Zemanek was called before a committee and kept out of Helena's way.
(b) Zemanek asked her to marry him.
(c) Helena was called before a committee and kept out of Zemanek's way.
(d) Helena became pregnant.
2. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
(a) A man with one goal.
(b) A man of many faces.
(c) A man at one with the regime.
(d) A man in love with one woman.
3. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
(a) Ludvik asks Kostka to lend him some clothes.
(b) Ludvik asks Kostka to use his flat.
(c) Ludvik asks Kostka to buy him dinner.
(d) Ludvik asks Kostka to get him a job.
4. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Nine years.
5. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
(a) That he believed Zdena wasn't his daughter.
(b) He was sorry they were fighting and he loves her.
(c) Everyone loves in different ways.
(d) They married out of Party discipline.
6. How does Zdena feel about Zemanek?
(a) She likes him enough to get by.
(b) She worships him.
(c) She is impartial to him.
(d) She loathes him.
7. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
(a) Her lungs.
(b) Her stomach.
(c) Her brain.
(d) Her heart.
8. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The third floor.
(b) The second floor.
(c) The fifth floor.
(d) The fourth floor.
9. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
(a) She tells Ludvik she has another lover.
(b) Exactly the same.
(c) She ignores Ludvik completely.
(d) She professes her love for Ludvik.
10. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
(a) A two-week Party training session.
(b) Italy for a week to scout for new leadership.
(c) A two-year trip to study plants.
(d) A month in Paris to study Marxism.
11. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) Dr. Zemanek.
(b) Dr. Kostka.
(c) Dr. Klara
(d) Dr. Lucie
12. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(b) Candlestick, again.
13. What does Zemanek do at university?
(a) Lecture on math.
(b) Lecture on Stalin.
(c) Lecture on history.
(d) Lecture on Marxism.
14. Where does Kostka live?
(a) In the same hotel Ludvik is staying in.
(b) A two-room flat in another town 30 miles away.
(c) A bachelor flat in a new complex.
(d) He has a room in the hospital.
15. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A joke in letter.
(b) A poem in a letter.
(c) A joke on a postcard.
(d) A photograph of Stalin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
2. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
3. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
4. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
5. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)