|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A joke in letter.
(b) A poem in a letter.
(c) A joke on a postcard.
(d) A photograph of Stalin.
2. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
(a) They are a man and a woman.
(b) It is an old man traveling alone, talking to himself.
(c) They are a small family of three.
(d) They are a large family of five.
3. Moravia reminds the narrator of what city?
4. How is the local hospital in Moravia set up?
(a) Two identical towers facing each other.
(b) A small, sad shack.
(c) A complex of buildings spread out.
(d) One large building of concrete.
5. What does the narrator do at the beginning of part three?
(a) Go wandering.
(b) Meet a lover.
(c) Have dinner.
(d) Go to the hospital.
6. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
(a) A man at one with the regime.
(b) A man of many faces.
(c) A man with one goal.
(d) A man in love with one woman.
7. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The sewers.
(b) The roads.
(c) The hospitals.
(d) The mines.
8. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(d) Candlestick, again.
9. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
(a) He is strange and mysterious.
(b) He is normal and straightforward.
(c) He is melancholy and artistic.
(d) He is changable.
10. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
11. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
(a) On St. John's Bridge.
(b) In class at University.
(c) In Old Town Square.
(d) At the Fucik Song and Dance Ensemble.
12. When does Helena believe her co-workers started disliking her?
(a) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took their side.
(b) Two co-workers were having an affair and Helena took a stand against it.
(c) Helena was having multiple affairs and misleading the Party.
(d) Helena was having an affair and misled the Party.
13. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
(a) Ludvik dislikes this woman.
(b) Ludvik knows the woman.
(c) Ludvik doesn't know this woman.
(d) Ludvik knows the woman's younger sister.
14. Where is Marketa sent, at the end of her first year at university?
(a) Italy for a week to scout for new leadership.
(b) A two-week Party training session.
(c) A two-year trip to study plants.
(d) A month in Paris to study Marxism.
15. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
(a) It is very formal and cold.
(b) It is the voice of a stranger.
(c) It is very soothing.
(d) It is the voice he recognizes most.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zdena feel about Zemanek?
2. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
3. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
4. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
5. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)