|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who at Helena's work station likes her?
(b) Her boss.
(d) All the girls.
2. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The roads.
(b) The mines.
(c) The sewers.
(d) The hospitals.
3. Kostka hopes that Ludvik will use his flat for what?
(a) "Something very laughable."
(b) "Something very clean."
(c) "Something really beautiful."
(d) "Something destructive."
4. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
(a) Ludvik asks Kostka to lend him some clothes.
(b) Ludvik asks Kostka to buy him dinner.
(c) Ludvik asks Kostka to get him a job.
(d) Ludvik asks Kostka to use his flat.
5. According to Ludvik, what kind of woman is Marketa?
(a) She separates work and home really well.
(b) She is always joking around.
(c) She can't settle down.
(d) She takes everything seriously.
6. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
(a) On St. John's Bridge.
(b) In class at University.
(c) At the Fucik Song and Dance Ensemble.
(d) In Old Town Square.
7. According to Helena, what does Zemanek live on?
(a) Hard work.
(d) His morals.
8. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Church and state.
(b) Husband and wife.
(c) Public and private selves.
(d) Politics and morals.
9. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Ten hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Twenty-four hours.
10. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
11. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(b) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(c) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(d) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
12. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
(c) In the gallows.
(d) Raising her child.
13. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
14. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
(a) It is very soothing.
(b) It is the voice he recognizes most.
(c) It is very formal and cold.
(d) It is the voice of a stranger.
15. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(b) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(c) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
(d) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
Short Answer Questions
1. Moravia reminds the narrator of what city?
2. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
3. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
4. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
5. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)