|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
(a) She made up a reason to get away from Ludvik.
(b) To do a feature on the gallows.
(c) She made up a reason to get closer to Ludvik.
(d) To do a feature on the Ride of the Kings.
2. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
3. Where is the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) He is in his office.
(b) He just left and is on his way out.
(c) He did not come to work that day.
(d) He is out on lunch.
4. How did Helena meet Ludvik?
(a) He had to interview her.
(b) In the gallows.
(c) At a demonstration.
(d) She had to interview him.
5. Kostka hopes that Ludvik will use his flat for what?
(a) "Something very laughable."
(b) "Something very clean."
(c) "Something destructive."
(d) "Something really beautiful."
6. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
(a) "Honor to labor."
(b) "Honor to justice."
(c) "People for labor."
(d) "Justice to people."
7. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
8. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
9. Ludvik decides to leave his hotel shortly after arriving for the first time. What does he want to do?
(a) Buy a new suit.
(b) Ask an acquaintance for a discreet favor.
(c) Obtain something to eat.
(d) Send a letter at the post office.
10. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
(a) His old school.
(b) His mother's house.
(c) To see a dear friend.
(d) His hotel.
11. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
(a) It is overly lavish.
(b) It is very attractive.
(c) It is dingy.
(d) It is sparse.
12. What does Helena claim she is looking for?
(a) A new political party.
(c) New dreams.
(d) New ideals.
13. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
(b) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
(c) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
(d) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
14. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
(a) At the Fucik Song and Dance Ensemble.
(b) On St. John's Bridge.
(c) In Old Town Square.
(d) In class at University.
15. When did Helena realize she was in love with Zemanek?
(a) At a meeting for the Youth League.
(b) After they married.
(c) While visiting Italy with their ensemble.
(d) On the anniversary of the Liberation in Old Town Square.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
2. Where was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
3. Ludvik, as the woman giving him a shave soaps his face, slips into what?
4. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
5. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)