|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
2. Moravia reminds the narrator of what city?
3. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
(a) Her parents.
(b) The Comrades.
(d) Her professor.
4. What does Zemanek do at university?
(a) Lecture on math.
(b) Lecture on Stalin.
(c) Lecture on history.
(d) Lecture on Marxism.
5. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
(a) Zemanek was called before a committee and kept out of Helena's way.
(b) Helena became pregnant.
(c) Zemanek asked her to marry him.
(d) Helena was called before a committee and kept out of Zemanek's way.
6. What organ does Helena have trouble with, under the slightest bit of exertion?
(a) Her lungs.
(b) Her stomach.
(c) Her brain.
(d) Her heart.
7. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
(a) Dr. Kostka.
(b) Dr. Klara
(c) Dr. Zemanek.
(d) Dr. Lucie
8. Where does the narrator go after he leaves the town square?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) His old school.
(c) His hotel.
(d) To see a dear friend.
9. What was the last thing Ludvik said after leaving his meeting with the board?
(a) "People for labor."
(b) "Honor to labor."
(c) "Justice to people."
(d) "Honor to justice."
10. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
(b) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(c) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(d) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
11. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Politics and morals.
(b) Church and state.
(c) Public and private selves.
(d) Husband and wife.
12. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
(a) He finds it changed from his memory.
(b) He finds it beautiful.
(c) He finds it unsightly.
(d) He finds it charming.
13. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
(a) It is sparse.
(b) It is dingy.
(c) It is very attractive.
(d) It is overly lavish.
14. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The fourth floor.
(b) The fifth floor.
(c) The second floor.
(d) The third floor.
15. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
2. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
3. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
4. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
5. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)