|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the wedding festivities last between Zemanek and Helena?
(a) Ten hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Twenty-four hours.
2. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
(a) Ludvik knows the woman's younger sister.
(b) Ludvik doesn't know this woman.
(c) Ludvik dislikes this woman.
(d) Ludvik knows the woman.
3. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Church and state.
(b) Politics and morals.
(c) Public and private selves.
(d) Husband and wife.
4. What is the name of the woman who shaves Ludvik?
5. What does Ludvik's group, marked by their black insignia, work on every morning?
(a) The roads.
(b) The hospitals.
(c) The sewers.
(d) The mines.
6. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
7. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A joke on a postcard.
(b) A photograph of Stalin.
(c) A poem in a letter.
(d) A joke in letter.
8. What was Helena doing at the age of eighteen?
(c) In the gallows.
(d) Raising her child.
9. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
10. Ludvik asks Kostka for a recommendation for what service?
(a) A store that sells liquor.
(b) Entertainment for the evening.
(c) A decent dinner.
(d) A shave.
11. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(b) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(c) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
(d) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
12. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(b) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(c) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(d) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
13. When Marketa and Ludvik reunite at University, how does Marketa act?
(a) She ignores Ludvik completely.
(b) She professes her love for Ludvik.
(c) Exactly the same.
(d) She tells Ludvik she has another lover.
14. Where do Helena and Ludvik go after running around the woods and Helena sings, "Oh brightly shines the sun in our garden..."?
(a) Another town to get further away, where they decide to elope.
(b) A little inn for bread and sausuage.
(c) A little inn to rent a room.
(d) Ludvik runs off and Helena returns home.
15. Helena claims she would do anything to save her marriage. Why?
(a) For the Party.
(b) For her daughter, for honor.
(c) For Zemanek.
(d) For her own sake, for the sake of the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
2. Who is the narrator of the part two?
3. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
4. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
5. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)