|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
(b) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
(c) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
(d) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
2. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Husband and wife.
(b) Church and state.
(c) Politics and morals.
(d) Public and private selves.
3. What does Helena's co-workers say about her at work?
(a) She doesn't do a good job.
(b) She isn't loyal enough.
(c) She is a fanatic and a Party bloodhound.
(d) She is too laid back.
4. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
(a) He is being cleaned by someone else.
(b) She is slapping him.
(c) He is back in Prague with his regular barber.
(d) She is caressing him.
5. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(b) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
(c) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(d) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
6. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
7. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
(a) They are a large family of five.
(b) They are a small family of three.
(c) They are a man and a woman.
(d) It is an old man traveling alone, talking to himself.
8. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
9. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
10. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A poem in a letter.
(b) A photograph of Stalin.
(c) A joke in letter.
(d) A joke on a postcard.
11. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
(a) Society of Students.
(b) Sect of Young Marxists.
(c) Justice of Collegiate Students.
(d) League of University Students.
12. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
(a) Ludvik asks Kostka to use his flat.
(b) Ludvik asks Kostka to get him a job.
(c) Ludvik asks Kostka to buy him dinner.
(d) Ludvik asks Kostka to lend him some clothes.
13. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(a) Candlestick, again.
14. In the beginning of the novel, the narrator claims his mission could have been completed in what city?
15. Why was Ludvik summoned the day after he returned to his post at University in his third year?
(a) A promotion because of his loyalty.
(b) An inquiry about the quality of his work.
(c) A promotion because of his innovations.
(d) An inquiry about the postcard he sent Marketa.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the woman giving Ludvik finishes soaping his face and gets up to retrieve the razor, Ludvick wants to look at her and realizes what?
2. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
3. How does Ludvik describe himself at university, in his second year?
4. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
5. Moravia reminds the narrator of what city?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)