|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a student, where did Ludvik hold an important post?
(a) League of University Students.
(b) Sect of Young Marxists.
(c) Justice of Collegiate Students.
(d) Society of Students.
2. Who said, "May melancholy never taint my name."?
3. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
(a) Around 1948.
(b) Around 1945
(c) Around 1940.
(d) Around 1958.
4. How did Helena meet Zemanek?
(a) In Old Town Square.
(b) On St. John's Bridge.
(c) At the Fucik Song and Dance Ensemble.
(d) In class at University.
5. Who is Ludvik's first friend, or the person that sticks out most to him, in his group of black-insignias?
6. What did Zemanek start after Togliatti spoke in Old Town Square?
(a) A fight that crushed a girl he was dating.
(b) Fifty thousand people screaming a slogan.
(c) A fight that turned into a riot.
(d) Fifty thousand people singing in Italian.
7. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The fourth floor.
(c) The third floor.
(d) The fifth floor.
8. At the beginning of the novel, how long has the narrator been away from his home?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
9. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
(a) MIlan Rufus.
(b) Pavel Zajicek.
(c) Frantisek Halas.
(d) Andre Brenton.
10. Kostka hopes that Ludvik will use his flat for what?
(a) "Something very laughable."
(b) "Something really beautiful."
(c) "Something destructive."
(d) "Something very clean."
11. What does the river in Moravia look like?
(a) Crystal clear water.
(b) It has dried up completely.
(c) Viscous clay.
(d) It is full of fish.
12. After a separation in which Marketa fares far better than Ludvik, he sends her something to hurt her. What is it that he sends Marketa?
(a) A photograph of Stalin.
(b) A joke on a postcard.
(c) A joke in letter.
(d) A poem in a letter.
13. What does Zemanek do at university?
(a) Lecture on Marxism.
(b) Lecture on math.
(c) Lecture on Stalin.
(d) Lecture on history.
14. When did Helena move to Prague?
15. What did Zemanek give Helena, his most favorite possession, as a gesture of reconciliation?
(a) A locket with a picture of the Kremlin on it.
(b) A locket with Zemanek's picture on it.
(c) A locket with Stalin's picture on it.
(d) A locket with Helena's picture on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator of the first section of the novel?
2. What is the name of the man Ludvik asks for at the booth at the gate of the hospital?
3. Once Ludvik lost the rights to his University studies he expected to be notified of what compulsory service?
4. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
5. What does Helena claim she is looking for?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)