|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ludvik and Kostka, just before Kostka returns to the hospital, come to an ideological impasse. How long ago were they in the same position?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Fifteen years.
2. What does the river in Moravia look like?
(a) It has dried up completely.
(b) It is full of fish.
(c) Viscous clay.
(d) Crystal clear water.
3. Though Ludvik claims to not be a big lover of poetry, he carried three books of poetry with him. Who was the poet that authored these books?
(a) Frantisek Halas.
(b) Andre Brenton.
(c) MIlan Rufus.
(d) Pavel Zajicek.
4. What floor does Kostka live on?
(a) The third floor.
(b) The fourth floor.
(c) The fifth floor.
(d) The second floor.
5. As the woman cleans Ludvik's face with a towel, what does Ludvik pretend?
(a) She is caressing him.
(b) She is slapping him.
(c) He is being cleaned by someone else.
(d) He is back in Prague with his regular barber.
6. How does Ludvik feel about the differences between himself and Kostka?
(a) Ludvik really dislikes Kostka.
(b) Ludvik hates to argue with Kostka.
(c) Ludvik gets very angry with Kostka.
(d) Their differences endear Kostka to Ludvik.
7. Ludvik overhears his neighbors in the hotel as soon as he is settled in. What does he learn about the neighbors?
(a) They are a small family of three.
(b) They are a large family of five.
(c) They are a man and a woman.
(d) It is an old man traveling alone, talking to himself.
8. After a disappointing leave in pursuit of the infamous 'Candlestick,' Ludvik decides the same weekend as Stana's wedding to go off on his own. Who does Ludvik meet this weekend?
(a) Candlestick, again.
9. What does Helena like about Ludvik?
(a) He is normal and straightforward.
(b) He is changable.
(c) He is strange and mysterious.
(d) He is melancholy and artistic.
10. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
(a) Cosy; very well furnished.
(b) Sparse; not exactly attractive.
(c) Comfortable; a firm bed.
(d) Welcoming; two chairs at the table.
11. What is the name of the woman who shaves Ludvik?
12. How many empty chairs are at the barber where Ludvik goes to get a shave?
13. Ludvik and Kostka sit in Kostka's flat before he has to go back to the hospital and chat over what?
14. What happened in 1956 and how did it affect Helena and Zemanek?
(a) Stalin became a hero but Pavel didn't like him.
(b) Stalin became a hero but Helena didn't like him.
(c) Stalin's crimes came out, but Pavel remained loyal.
(d) Stalin's crimes came out, but Helena remained loyal.
15. At the beginning of the novel, how long has the narrator been away from his home?
(a) Five years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
2. Who narrates part three of "The Joke"?
3. The day following their one-day reunion, Ludvik phones Marketa. What happens?
4. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
5. When did Ludvik meet Marketa?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)