|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the state of Ludvik's hotel room?
(a) Cosy; very well furnished.
(b) Welcoming; two chairs at the table.
(c) Sparse; not exactly attractive.
(d) Comfortable; a firm bed.
2. Where did Zemanek go at the beginning of part two?
3. How does the narrator view the town square of his hometown after his long absence?
(a) He finds it changed from his memory.
(b) He finds it charming.
(c) He finds it unsightly.
(d) He finds it beautiful.
4. How does Ludvik find Kostka's flat?
(a) It is overly lavish.
(b) It is very attractive.
(c) It is dingy.
(d) It is sparse.
5. What is Helena doing the evening of the beginning of part two?
(a) Staying up late to read.
(b) Cleaning her house until the dawn.
(c) Going to bed early.
(d) Mending clothes all night.
6. Helena believes that there is no split between what?
(a) Public and private selves.
(b) Church and state.
(c) Husband and wife.
(d) Politics and morals.
7. Zemanek and Helena were together for nearly two years when what happened?
(a) Zemanek asked her to marry him.
(b) Zemanek was called before a committee and kept out of Helena's way.
(c) Helena was called before a committee and kept out of Zemanek's way.
(d) Helena became pregnant.
8. What did Zemanek say to Helena in the heat of an argument when their daughter was five?
(a) They married out of Party discipline.
(b) He was sorry they were fighting and he loves her.
(c) Everyone loves in different ways.
(d) That he believed Zdena wasn't his daughter.
9. How does Kostka receive Ludvik after not seeing each other in so long?
(a) Kostka is glad to see Ludvik.
(b) Kostka was cold to Ludvik.
(c) Kostka did not want to see Ludvik.
(d) Kostka was pleasant to Ludvik, but excused himself quickly.
10. Why is Helena going to Moravia?
(a) She made up a reason to get away from Ludvik.
(b) To do a feature on the Ride of the Kings.
(c) To do a feature on the gallows.
(d) She made up a reason to get closer to Ludvik.
11. What happened to Zemanek and Helena after the demonstration in Old Town Square?
(a) They decided to meet up after returning to University.
(b) They parted ways.
(c) They held hands and roamed through Prague.
(d) They joined the riot.
12. What is the name of the narrator's hometown?
13. After Ludvik's meeting with the board he is prompted by a Communist friend to go see who?
14. In the beginning of the novel, the narrator claims his mission could have been completed in what city?
15. Moravia reminds the narrator of what city?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of her first year at university, Marketa is sent away by who?
2. What does Ludvik think of this woman's voice who shaved him?
3. What is the name of Helena's daughter?
4. What favor does Ludvik ask of Kostka?
5. What does Zemanek do at university?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)