Part One: Ludvik
* Without much emotion, Ludvik returns to his hometown, Moravia, after many years.
* Ludvik rents a hotel, but is unsatisfied with it.
* Ludvik meets his friend, Kostka, and asks to borrow his flat. Kostka agrees, and recommends a barber for Ludvik.
* Ludvik goes to the barber to get a shave.
* Ludvik is unsure if the woman who shaves him is a woman he knows, named Lucie.
Part Two: Helena
* Helena is preparing for a trip and decides to go to bed early.
* Helena reflects on her relationship with her husband, Pavel. He believes they married out of discipline to the Party.
* In addition to her strained relationship with Pavel and her daughter, Zdena, Helena is disliked at work.
* Helena is devoutly loyal to the Party.
* Helena and Ludvik meet when she is sent to interview Ludvik for her job. They decide to meet again in Moravia...
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)