|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many doctors and nurses did Clara Barton bring with her to help the relief efforts?
2. What percentage is the mortality rate in Johnstown?
3. Who entertains "Newspaper Row" by asking colleagues about restaurants?
4. Who arrives in Sang Hollow at 10 p.m. on foot with his story to wire to New Florence regarding the flood?
5. What is the ratio of the dead bodies that cannot be identified?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the stories spread by the city lieutenant in regards to the Hungarian immigrants?
2. Describe the donations made to Johnstown from other cities.
3. How is Johnstown described at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What is the nature of the stories about Daniel Peyton?
5. What is Pitcairn's reaction after seeing debris in the muddy water at Sang Hollow?
6. How are the first arrivals of supply carts described?
7. How is Kurz and Allison's lithograph described?
8. How is Victor Heiser described when the wave reaches his family's property?
9. What are some of the efforts made by the townsfolk in regards to helping the flood survivors in Chapter 7?
10. How are Clara Barton's relief efforts described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the Hungarians' portrayal in the book. What reason did the author have for including these depictions in the book? What is telling of the townsfolk's treatment of the Hungarians after the flood?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of time period in the book. In what way is the time period to blame for the flood? What might have been different for the town had the flood occurred in a modern time period?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the train engineers during the crisis. What impact did they have on the outcome of the flood?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)