|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who publishes an epic poem called "The Man Who Rode to Conemaugh" in Harper's Weekly?
2. What is the name of the man who helps save the girl who climbs in a cupboard in Chapter 5?
3. What is the name of the club that develops as esprit de corps, as in wartime?
4. Who arrives in Sang Hollow at 10 p.m. on foot with his story to wire to New Florence regarding the flood?
5. On what do witnesses see a man and two women riding on just before dark in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Henry S. Brown's journey to Johnstown described?
2. How is Horace Rose's experience in the flood described near the end of Chapter 5?
3. How is Victor Heiser described when the wave reaches his family's property?
4. How is the work of the 200 photographers visiting Johnstown described?
5. How is Kurz and Allison's lithograph described?
6. What do the journalists from Pittsburgh do when they arrive in Bolivar?
7. How is Mr. Pitcairn described as he prepares to go to Johnstown to evaluate flood damage?
8. What is Pitcairn's reaction after seeing debris in the muddy water at Sang Hollow?
9. What reasons does the author suggest for Pitcairn joining the South Fork Hunting and Fishing Club?
10. What is the nature of the stories about Daniel Peyton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the structure of the book. What methods did the author use to tell this story? Was the structure used in the book successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Robert Pitcairn in the book. What was his purpose in the relief efforts?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's use of perspective in the book. What methods did he use to tell this story? Was his use of perspective successful?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)