|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what cities outside Pennsylvania are stories run on the front page regarding the flood?
2. At what time do journalists going on foot or wagon reach New Florence in Chapter 6?
3. How many trains do reporters charter from Pittsburgh to Johnstown to report on the flood?
4. How many doctors and nurses did Clara Barton bring with her to help the relief efforts?
5. Where does Pitcairn leave Pittsburgh for in a private upholstered car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Hungarians depicted in Johnstown in Chapter 8?
2. How are Clara Barton's relief efforts described?
3. What happens to a man and two women seen riding a barn roof in Chapter 6?
4. How is the Quinn family described in Chapter 5?
5. Describe the donations made to Johnstown from other cities.
6. What is Pitcairn's reaction after seeing debris in the muddy water at Sang Hollow?
7. How is the identification of the dead bodies described in Chapter 7?
8. What do the journalists from Pittsburgh do when they arrive in Bolivar?
9. How is Mr. Pitcairn described as he prepares to go to Johnstown to evaluate flood damage?
10. Describe what happens to Gertrude Quinn after she hides in a cupboard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the charitable donations given to the flood victims of Johnstown. What was the nature of these donations? What did these donations say in regards to the outpouring of support from the rest of the nation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the telegraph operators in the crisis. Did all of these operators work together or did some act alone? What impact could they have had in preventing the number of flood related deaths?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of social class in Johnstown. What role did the wealthy play in the town? What about the poor?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)