|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following places was not one of the refuge houses for flood victims?
2. What is the name of the area where the train stops at 4:05 p.m. at Sang Hollow in Chapter 6?
3. Where do the first relief trains come from on the B&O tracks?
4. What is said to be causing a violent epidemic problem in Chapter 7?
5. What sum does Unger summarize the losses at the club to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the stories about Daniel Peyton?
2. How is Kurz and Allison's lithograph described?
3. How is Mr. Pitcairn described as he prepares to go to Johnstown to evaluate flood damage?
4. What reasons does the author suggest for Pitcairn joining the South Fork Hunting and Fishing Club?
5. How is the identification of the dead bodies described in Chapter 7?
6. How is Horace Rose's experience in the flood described near the end of Chapter 5?
7. What does William Tice witness near the end of Chapter 5?
8. How is the Quinn family described in Chapter 5?
9. What happens to a man and two women seen riding a barn roof in Chapter 6?
10. How is Johnstown described at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rescue efforts by the Johnstown townsfolk before and after the flood. What measures did they take to help others? Were these efforts successful?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the book. What methods did the author use to tell this story? Was the structure used in the book successful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the Hungarians' portrayal in the book. What reason did the author have for including these depictions in the book? What is telling of the townsfolk's treatment of the Hungarians after the flood?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)