|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that founded the city of Cresson?
2. What is the name of the ticket agent that is asked for his advice on whether to send a warning to Pitcairn at the end of Chapter 3?
3. What item, along with rude rafts, do the families of Johnstown pull in the streets during the storm?
4. What is the title of Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the Pittsburgh clubmen's president and manager in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Lake Conemaugh empties in 36-45 minutes?
2. What does John G. Parke do when he is awakened for the second time at 6:30 a.m.?
3. What does John G. Parke do when he sees serious leaks in the dam in Chapter 3?
4. In what way is Johnstown booming financially before the flood?
5. How does Benjamin Ruff repair the dam after it first floods in 1862?
6. What is Johnstown like in 1889 in terms of amenities?
7. How is George Heiser described in Chapter 1?
8. How does John G. Parke describe the weather at the beginning of Chapter 1?
9. What does Hettie Ogle do when she receives the flood warning?
10. How are the events of the townsfolk on the day of the flood between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Robert Pitcairn in the book. What was his purpose in the relief efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rescue efforts by the Johnstown townsfolk before and after the flood. What measures did they take to help others? Were these efforts successful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the townsfolk of Johnstown's initial response to the flood. What does this say about their mentality regarding the flood? What reasons did they have for reacting this way?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)