|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Rev. T.H. Robinson busy doing during the flood in Chapter 4?
2. What is the name of the manager that is described as the most powerful man in Johnstown?
3. How many passengers and porters on the Day Express died in the flood?
4. What is the name of the engineer who sits in the cab of train No. 2 at Buttermilk Falls in Chapter 4?
5. What is the title of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Johnstown like in 1889 in terms of amenities?
2. How is George Heiser described in Chapter 1?
3. What do passengers on the Night Off do during their ride?
4. Describe what happens to the Limited when the flood carries it away.
5. How is the founding of Johnstown described?
6. What reasons does the author say allowed the water to flow freely down the mountains in Johnstown?
7. How are the hundreds of families in the streets of Johnstown just after the water begins to rise described?
8. Describe what Hess and Liggett do after becoming stranded in Mineral Point.
9. What do the passengers in Section 1 do once they realize they're in danger in Chapter 4?
10. What happens to the city of Woodvale in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of the city of Johnstown in the book. What is the nature of the atmosphere? How are the townsfolk described?
Essay Topic 2
Examine John Fulton's report on the dam in Chapter 2. What is the nature of this report? What might have been prevented in terms of the flood had this report been taken more seriously?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of technology during the flood. What are some of the technological advances that could have helped the people of Johnstown to survive the flood? Did they make proper use of these measures?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)