|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what height did experts say the dam could not reach if the whole town didn't want to be threatened?
2. What is the title of Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the telegraph operator who recalls a man running to her tower in Chapter 3?
4. How long does it take for Lake Conemaugh to empty in Chapter 4?
5. What are the dimensions of the South Fork dam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the city of Woodvale in Chapter 4?
2. Describe what happens to the Limited when the flood carries it away.
3. What happens after Lake Conemaugh empties in 36-45 minutes?
4. How does the author describe the cheap construction techniques used on the South Fork dam?
5. How is the founding of Johnstown described?
6. What is the nature of John Fulton's report on the safety of the dam in Chapter 2?
7. Describe what Hess and Liggett do after becoming stranded in Mineral Point.
8. How are the events of the townsfolk on the day of the flood between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. described?
9. How does Benjamin Ruff repair the dam after it first floods in 1862?
10. What do passengers on the Night Off do during their ride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Robert Pitcairn in the book. What was his purpose in the relief efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of tone in the book. In what way did the author insert his own perspective into the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the structure of the book. What methods did the author use to tell this story? Was the structure used in the book successful?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)