|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives in Sang Hollow at 10 p.m. on foot with his story to wire to New Florence regarding the flood?
(a) W.N. Hays.
(b) Charles Reade.
(c) Myron Quinn.
(d) Cyrus Elder.
2. Who is known as the "Paul Revere of the Flood"?
(a) Daniel Peyton.
(b) Henry Phipps.
(c) Charles Reade.
(d) Cyrus Elder.
3. What arrives midweek after the flood to break the jam at the stone bridge?
4. What does Pitcairn say he fears among survivors, which prompts him to call for a public meeting to send supplies to survivors in Chapter 6?
(a) Much pain.
(b) Little suffering.
(c) Terrible suffering.
(d) Great damage.
5. What is the name of the girl who climbs in a cupboard to stay safe from the flood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What church is the Rev. David Beale in charge of that is one of the places housing flood refugees?
2. Which of the following rumors was not mentioned after the flood?
3. Who was described as the relief effort's most resilient worker?
4. How many foreign nations donated money to flood relief efforts in Johnstown?
5. At what time do journalists going on foot or wagon reach New Florence in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the sightseers at the flood site?
2. What is the nature of the stories spread by the city lieutenant in regards to the Hungarian immigrants?
3. What happens to a man and two women seen riding a barn roof in Chapter 6?
4. Describe the donations made to Johnstown from other cities.
5. How is Horace Rose's experience in the flood described near the end of Chapter 5?
6. How are the Hungarians depicted in Johnstown in Chapter 8?
7. What efforts does Daniel Hartman Hastings try and make?
8. What do the journalists from Pittsburgh do when they arrive in Bolivar?
9. How is the identification of the dead bodies described in Chapter 7?
10. What does William Tice witness near the end of Chapter 5?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)