|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many acres are estimated to have been covered from the wreckage of the bridge?
2. How many Pittsburgh newspapers send reporters to Johnstown to report on the flood?
3. At what time does a deep, steady rumble like an avalanche approach Johnstown in Chapter 5?
(a) 5:00 a.m.
(c) 3:00 p.m.
(d) 4:07 p.m.
4. In what year does Pitcairn's first interest in the dam come after it wrecks railroad property?
5. What is the name of Pennsylvania's Adjutant General?
(a) Frank Deckert.
(b) Daniel Harman Hastings.
(c) John G. Parke.
(d) Charles Reade.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the 119 people riding debris downstream at 15 mph are saved in Chapter 6?
2. Who heads the Pittsburgh Relief Committee after Moxham resigns?
3. Who conducts a church service on Sunday that initially attracts 30 people?
4. What is the last name of the one male reporter to die of pneumonia?
5. What does Rev. Chapman see rolling past him at 4 p.m. in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to a man and two women seen riding a barn roof in Chapter 6?
2. What is the nature of the stories spread by the city lieutenant in regards to the Hungarian immigrants?
3. How is Horace Rose's experience in the flood described near the end of Chapter 5?
4. How is the Quinn family described in Chapter 5?
5. What do the journalists from Pittsburgh do when they arrive in Bolivar?
6. What is the nature of the journalists' first reports of the flood?
7. What is Pitcairn's reaction after seeing debris in the muddy water at Sang Hollow?
8. How is the use of dynamite described in Chapter 8?
9. How are Clara Barton's relief efforts described?
10. How is Henry S. Brown's journey to Johnstown described?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)