|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the manager that is described as the most powerful man in Johnstown?
(a) George T. Swank.
(b) Daniel Johnson Morrell.
(c) W. Horace Rose.
(d) James B. Scott.
2. What is the name of the brakeman in Section 1 that looks out for himself rather than passengers during the flood?
(a) Charles Reade.
(b) Samuel S. Miller.
(c) John Fulton.
(d) Henry Phipps.
3. What is the name of the engineer who sits in the cab of train No. 2 at Buttermilk Falls in Chapter 4?
(a) James B. Scott.
(b) George T. Swank.
(c) Benjamin J. Ruff.
(d) John Hess.
4. What is the title of Chapter 4?
(a) The long hard night.
(b) The day begins.
(c) Calm after the storm.
(d) Rush of the torrent.
5. At what height did experts say the dam could not reach if the whole town didn't want to be threatened?
(a) 80 feet.
(b) 70 feet.
(c) 50 feet.
(d) 60 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people live in South Fork, according to Chapter 2?
2. Who is the chief counsel for the Iron Company in Johnstown?
3. At what time does the dam simply move away in a push at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the distinguished lawyer who sets off in an open wagon to help evacuees in Chapter 3?
5. How long does it take for Lake Conemaugh to empty in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John G. Parke witness when he returns to the town from delivering the flood warning?
2. What does John G. Parke do when he sees serious leaks in the dam in Chapter 3?
3. How is the rain described when it starts in Johnstown at 4 p.m. on May 31st?
4. What is Johnstown like in 1889 in terms of amenities?
5. What leisure activities are popular in Johnstown?
6. How is George Heiser described in Chapter 1?
7. What happens to the city of Woodvale in Chapter 4?
8. What does Hettie Ogle do when she receives the flood warning?
9. What are the four critical changes John Fulton discovers must be made regarding Ruff's men's findings at the end of Chapter 2?
10. How do the townspeople of Johnstown react to the telegraph message warning them that the dam would break?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)