|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does John G. Parke say he wakes up a second time to hear a "terrible roaring as of a cataract"?
(a) 3:30 a.m.
(b) 6:30 a.m.
(c) 5:00 p.m.
(d) 7:00 p.m.
2. How much did the workers at the iron company in Johnstown make for a week's work?
3. What is the name of the brilliant English chemist who founded a contemporary process of producing steel?
(a) Henry Bessemer.
(b) Robert Pitcairn.
(c) Frank Deckert.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
4. What are the dimensions of the South Fork dam?
(a) 60 feet by 600 feet.
(b) 50 feet by 500 feet.
(c) 75 feet by 500 feet.
(d) 72 feet by 900 feet.
5. At what age did the Pittsburgh clubmen's new president and manager begin working on the railroad?
Short Answer Questions
1. What landmark is mentioned as reaching to the heavens in Chapter 1 that can be seen in the Johnstown newspaper?
2. How many communities does the mud and debris go through before reaching Johnstown?
3. What is the South Fork Creek described as being the perfect one of in Chapter 3?
4. In what year did the South Fork dam break for the first time?
5. Which of the following positive attributes is not given to Johnstown in regards to the quality of living there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do passengers on the Night Off do during their ride?
2. What does Hettie Ogle do when she receives the flood warning?
3. What does John G. Parke witness when he returns to the town from delivering the flood warning?
4. How do the townspeople of Johnstown react to the telegraph message warning them that the dam would break?
5. What do the passengers in Section 1 do once they realize they're in danger in Chapter 4?
6. How does the author describe the cheap construction techniques used on the South Fork dam?
7. How are the hundreds of families in the streets of Johnstown just after the water begins to rise described?
8. What happens to the city of Woodvale in Chapter 4?
9. What is the nature of John Fulton's report on the safety of the dam in Chapter 2?
10. What leisure activities are popular in Johnstown?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)