|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many inches of rain dropped at the country club the night before the flood?
2. How many saloons does greater Johnstown have?
3. What is the name of the man that founded the city of Cresson?
(a) Dr. Robert Montgomery.
(b) Robert Pitcairn.
(c) Henry Clay Frick.
(d) Cyrus Elder.
4. How many passengers and porters on the Day Express died in the flood?
5. What is the name of the cemetery that was found along the river which kept Civil War veterans?
(a) Stony Creek Cemetery.
(b) Johnstown Cemetery.
(c) Sandy Vale Cemetery.
(d) Mineral Point Cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family who reports say were awakened and frightened by a "rumbling, roaring sound"?
2. What disease was the only one prevalent among Johnstown residents in 1889 before the flood?
3. What is the name of the place in South Fork that was a perfect solution for boating and fishing?
4. What is the name of the place best known for many sporting houses?
5. What massive landmark was the water's first major obstacle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leisure activities are popular in Johnstown?
2. What is Johnstown like in 1889 in terms of amenities?
3. How is the founding of Johnstown described?
4. How are the hundreds of families in the streets of Johnstown just after the water begins to rise described?
5. What do passengers on the Night Off do during their ride?
6. What does John G. Parke do when he sees serious leaks in the dam in Chapter 3?
7. Describe what Hess and Liggett do after becoming stranded in Mineral Point.
8. What reason does the author say the local fishermen are irritated by the club management in Chapter 2?
9. How is the rain described when it starts in Johnstown at 4 p.m. on May 31st?
10. What are the four critical changes John Fulton discovers must be made regarding Ruff's men's findings at the end of Chapter 2?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)