|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the dimensions of the South Fork dam?
(a) 50 feet by 500 feet.
(b) 60 feet by 600 feet.
(c) 72 feet by 900 feet.
(d) 75 feet by 500 feet.
2. What birthday is the United States ready to celebrate the year of the Johnstown flood?
3. What is the name of the place in South Fork that was a perfect solution for boating and fishing?
(a) Stony Creek.
(b) The Little Conemaugh.
(c) Mineral Point.
(d) The Old Reservoir.
4. In what section of the train did a passenger have to jump over, crawl under, or run around in order to escape the flood in Chapter 4?
(a) Section 1.
(b) The front car.
(c) The caboose.
(d) Section 2.
5. How many people live in South Fork, according to Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many saloons does greater Johnstown have?
2. What landmark is mentioned as reaching to the heavens in Chapter 1 that can be seen in the Johnstown newspaper?
3. What is the name of the cemetery that was found along the river which kept Civil War veterans?
4. What falls down about 3:15 p.m. on the day of the flood, which causes a great stir in the crowd?
5. How many crucial changes did Ruff's men find that Fulton failed to notice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Hess and Liggett do after becoming stranded in Mineral Point.
2. What happens after Lake Conemaugh empties in 36-45 minutes?
3. How is the South Fork dam described at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What do passengers on the Night Off do during their ride?
5. How are the residents of Johnstown who are participating in the Memorial Day Parade described?
6. How does the author describe the cheap construction techniques used on the South Fork dam?
7. How are the events of the townsfolk on the day of the flood between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. described?
8. What does John G. Parke witness when he returns to the town from delivering the flood warning?
9. What reasons does the author say allowed the water to flow freely down the mountains in Johnstown?
10. How is the rain described when it starts in Johnstown at 4 p.m. on May 31st?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)