|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the workers at the iron company in Johnstown make for a week's work?
2. How many people live in South Fork, according to Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the cantankerous editor of the Tribune?
(a) Charles Reade.
(b) George T. Swank.
(c) Henry Clay Frick.
(d) Benjamin F. Ruff.
4. What sound is the only warning the people in East Conemaugh receive before the flood in Chapter 4?
(a) A scream.
(b) An open locomotive whistle.
(c) A foghorn.
(d) A bell.
5. What is the name of the cemetery that was found along the river which kept Civil War veterans?
(a) Mineral Point Cemetery.
(b) Johnstown Cemetery.
(c) Sandy Vale Cemetery.
(d) Stony Creek Cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Rev. T.H. Robinson busy doing during the flood in Chapter 4?
2. What is the name of the company whose financing led to much of Pittsburgh's industrial growth?
3. Who rides back and forth on horseback trying to exhort the men to dig harder on fixing the dam in Chapter 3?
4. At what time was there to be a parade in Johnstown that had to be canceled due to the weather?
5. Which of the following amenities does Johnstown not have in 1889?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do passengers on the Night Off do during their ride?
2. In what way does Daniel Johnson Morrell change the iron business according to Chapter 2?
3. How is the founding of Johnstown described?
4. What is the nature of John Fulton's report on the safety of the dam in Chapter 2?
5. How does John G. Parke describe the weather at the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. How are the events of the townsfolk on the day of the flood between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. described?
7. How does the author describe the cheap construction techniques used on the South Fork dam?
8. What does John G. Parke witness when he returns to the town from delivering the flood warning?
9. How are the residents of Johnstown who are participating in the Memorial Day Parade described?
10. What does John G. Parke do when he is awakened for the second time at 6:30 a.m.?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)