|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who paid out of pocket for supplies after becoming exhausted from four straight days of relief work?
(a) Capt. Bill Jones.
(b) Andrew Carnegie.
(c) James B. Scott.
(d) Andrew Mellon.
2. What is the name of the family who lives in an opulent three-story, red brick house?
3. What train was the survivor on who wrote a long, florid account of his "race for life" with the "monster destruction"?
(a) The Limited.
(b) Day Express.
(c) The Flash.
(d) The Daydream.
4. Who publishes an epic poem called "The Man Who Rode to Conemaugh" in Harper's Weekly?
(a) Frank Deckert.
(b) James B. Scott.
(c) John Eliot Bowen.
(d) Daniel Peyton.
5. What day does the first case of typhoid come on?
(a) June 20.
(b) July 5.
(c) July 1.
(d) June 10.
6. Who is known as the "Paul Revere of the Flood"?
(a) Charles Reade.
(b) Daniel Peyton.
(c) Cyrus Elder.
(d) Henry Phipps.
7. At what time does a deep, steady rumble like an avalanche approach Johnstown in Chapter 5?
(a) 4:07 p.m.
(c) 3:00 p.m.
(d) 5:00 a.m.
8. How many people were killed in the "Great Strike" of 1877?
9. Who was described as the relief effort's most resilient worker?
(a) Daniel Peyton.
(b) Clara Barton.
(c) John Hess.
(d) W. Horace Rose.
10. How many acres are estimated to have been covered from the wreckage of the bridge?
11. What is the name of the Chicago publisher who creates a popular color lithograph of the dam bursting?
(a) Kurz & Allison.
(b) Hart & Lad.
(c) Harp & Smitz.
(d) Smith & Wesson.
12. Where does Pitcairn order the reporters' train back to at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) New York.
13. What is the ratio of the dead bodies that cannot be identified?
(a) One in four.
(b) One in two.
(c) One in three.
(d) One in five.
14. What church is the Rev. David Beale in charge of that is one of the places housing flood refugees?
(a) Sycamore St. Methodist Church.
(b) Main St. Presbyterian Church.
(c) Sycamore St. Baptist Church.
(d) Main St. Catholic Church.
15. What does Pitcairn say he fears among survivors, which prompts him to call for a public meeting to send supplies to survivors in Chapter 6?
(a) Terrible suffering.
(b) Much pain.
(c) Little suffering.
(d) Great damage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the publication that calls the flood "the most extraordinary calamity of the age"?
2. What is the name of the man of the Philadelphia Press who catches a train to Johnstown but gets no further than Harrisburg?
3. What is the name of the girl who climbs in a cupboard to stay safe from the flood?
4. What is used to disinfect the entire district in Chapter 8?
5. What is the name of the religious fanatics that come from Pittsburgh?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)