|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the 119 people riding debris downstream at 15 mph are saved in Chapter 6?
2. What is the title of Chapter 8?
(a) No pen can describe.
(b) The journalists react.
(c) The calming shore.
(d) Time to reflect.
3. What is the name of the religious fanatics that come from Pittsburgh?
4. What is said to be causing a violent epidemic problem in Chapter 7?
(a) Dozens of trains.
(b) Miles of debris.
(c) Hundreds of human and animal carcasses.
(d) Acres of wood.
5. What church is the Rev. David Beale in charge of that is one of the places housing flood refugees?
(a) Main St. Presbyterian Church.
(b) Sycamore St. Baptist Church.
(c) Main St. Catholic Church.
(d) Sycamore St. Methodist Church.
6. On what do witnesses see a man and two women riding on just before dark in Chapter 6?
(a) A train.
(b) A house.
(c) A barn roof.
(d) A boat.
7. What is the ratio of the dead bodies that cannot be identified?
(a) One in two.
(b) One in four.
(c) One in three.
(d) One in five.
8. Who is described as a man of God who is also the voice of the Cambria Iron Company?
(a) John Hess.
(b) Charles Reade.
(c) James B. Scott.
(d) John Fulton.
9. How many of the 500-600 people in the bridge survive?
10. What is the name of the town where reporters are held because water prevents them from reaching Johnstown?
(c) Stony Creek.
(d) Mineral Point.
11. What arrives midweek after the flood to break the jam at the stone bridge?
12. How many people are taken back and forth on the ferry?
13. Which state's governor sends a shipment of tents and coffins to Johnstown?
(a) New York.
14. How many acres are estimated to have been covered from the wreckage of the bridge?
15. What is the name of the girl who climbs in a cupboard to stay safe from the flood?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time do journalists going on foot or wagon reach New Florence in Chapter 6?
2. How many people in Johnstown end up dying of typhoid?
3. What is the title of Chapter 5?
4. What is the name of the publication that calls the flood "the most extraordinary calamity of the age"?
5. On what day does the sun shine for the first time since the flood?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)