|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the girl who climbs in a cupboard to stay safe from the flood?
2. How many children under ten-years-old die in the flood?
3. What is described as by far the greatest horror witnessed by flood victims in Chapter 5?
(a) The flood in Mineral Point.
(b) The fire at the church.
(c) The flood in Cresson.
(d) The fire at the bridge.
4. What is said to be causing a violent epidemic problem in Chapter 7?
(a) Miles of debris.
(b) Acres of wood.
(c) Hundreds of human and animal carcasses.
(d) Dozens of trains.
5. What does Pitcairn say he fears among survivors, which prompts him to call for a public meeting to send supplies to survivors in Chapter 6?
(a) Great damage.
(b) Terrible suffering.
(c) Little suffering.
(d) Much pain.
6. Where does Pitcairn leave Pittsburgh for in a private upholstered car?
(c) Mineral Point.
7. How many people are taken back and forth on the ferry?
8. On what day does the sun shine for the first time since the flood?
(a) July 9.
(b) June 19.
(c) June 9.
(d) July 5.
9. What is the name of the man who brings three carloads of supplies and 300 men to help the relief efforts?
(a) Victor Heiser.
(b) Capt. Bill Jones.
(c) Daniel Peyton.
(d) Henry Clay Frick.
10. What church does the Mussante family see a raft slam into in Chapter 5?
(a) The Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The Baptist Church.
(d) The Methodist Church.
11. How many refugees are trapped in the Swan house in Chapter 5?
12. What is the name of the young girl who nearly has her leg amputated by rescuers?
(a) Emma Ehrenfeld.
(b) Hettie Ogle.
(c) Gertrude Quinn.
(d) Rose Clark.
13. How much money is raised in Pittsburgh the Saturday after the flood?
14. At what time does a deep, steady rumble like an avalanche approach Johnstown in Chapter 5?
(a) 3:00 p.m.
(b) 4:07 p.m.
(d) 5:00 a.m.
15. Which state's governor sends a shipment of tents and coffins to Johnstown?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as a man of God who is also the voice of the Cambria Iron Company?
2. What is the name of the man who started stories while berserk over the loss of his wife and children?
3. What is the name of the large Pittsburgh construction company that sends 1,000 employees to the flood relief?
4. What church is the Rev. David Beale in charge of that is one of the places housing flood refugees?
5. How many of the 119 people riding debris downstream at 15 mph are saved in Chapter 6?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)