|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people in Johnstown end up dying of typhoid?
2. Where does the train roll slowly back to when it cannot reach Johnstown in Chapter 6?
(a) New Florence.
(b) Stony Bridge.
(d) Mineral Point.
3. How many children under ten-years-old die in the flood?
4. What is the name of the publication that calls the flood "the most extraordinary calamity of the age"?
(a) Frank Leslies'.
(b) Harper's Bazaar.
5. At what time do a carpenter and his wife stagger into town and report that there is hardly a building left standing in Johnstown?
(a) 4:00 a.m.
(b) 3:30 a.m.
(c) 1:00 p.m.
(d) 5:00 p.m.
6. How much money is raised in Pittsburgh the Saturday after the flood?
7. What sum does Unger summarize the losses at the club to be?
8. How many doctors and nurses did Clara Barton bring with her to help the relief efforts?
9. What is the name of the vice president of Cambria Iron who says rebuilding will begin immediately?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) Andrew Mellon.
(c) Henry Clay Frick.
(d) James McMillan.
10. What town is Pitcairn the supreme commander of on the rail line?
(c) Mineral Point.
11. How many refugees are trapped in the Swan house in Chapter 5?
12. On what do witnesses see a man and two women riding on just before dark in Chapter 6?
(a) A barn roof.
(b) A train.
(c) A boat.
(d) A house.
13. How many of the 500-600 people in the bridge survive?
14. At what time do journalists going on foot or wagon reach New Florence in Chapter 6?
(a) 4:00 p.m.
(b) 6:30 p.m.
(c) 3:00 a.m.
(d) 5:15 a.m.
15. Who arrives in Sang Hollow at 10 p.m. on foot with his story to wire to New Florence regarding the flood?
(a) W.N. Hays.
(b) Myron Quinn.
(c) Charles Reade.
(d) Cyrus Elder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl who climbs in a cupboard to stay safe from the flood?
2. Which of the following places was not one of the refuge houses for flood victims?
3. What arrives midweek after the flood to break the jam at the stone bridge?
4. What is the name of the area where the train stops at 4:05 p.m. at Sang Hollow in Chapter 6?
5. How many of the 60 people survive when the Hubert House collapses?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)