|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Hettie Ogle's daughter that is with her during the flood?
2. How much did the workers at the iron company in Johnstown make for a week's work?
3. Who was willing to help foot the bill for an outlet pipe system to increase the safety of the dam?
(a) The mayor of Johnstown.
(b) Cambria Iron.
(c) The state of Pennsylvania.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
4. What is the name of the place best known for many sporting houses?
(a) Lizzie Thompson's.
(c) Bert's Pub.
5. What holiday were the townsfolk of Johnstown preparing for before the flood began?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Labor Day.
6. How many miles downstream from its origins does Lake Conemaugh reform in Chapter 4?
(a) 2 miles.
(b) 4 miles.
(c) 5.5 miles.
(d) 10 miles.
7. How many saloons does greater Johnstown have?
8. What is the name of the engineer who sits in the cab of train No. 2 at Buttermilk Falls in Chapter 4?
(a) Benjamin J. Ruff.
(b) George T. Swank.
(c) John Hess.
(d) James B. Scott.
9. What massive landmark was the water's first major obstacle?
(a) A stone viaduct.
(b) The prison.
(c) Town hall.
(d) The Methodist Church.
10. What is the name of the cemetery that was found along the river which kept Civil War veterans?
(a) Stony Creek Cemetery.
(b) Johnstown Cemetery.
(c) Mineral Point Cemetery.
(d) Sandy Vale Cemetery.
11. What year did work stop on the building of the South Fork dam?
12. What is the name of the family who are described as atypical in comparison with their neighbors in Johnstown?
13. In what year does Johnstown experience its first flood when a small dam breaks across Stony Creek?
14. Where were the trains trying to get into Johnstown held because of trouble in Lilly?
(a) Mineral Point.
(b) Stony Creek.
(c) East Conemaugh.
15. What birthday is the United States ready to celebrate the year of the Johnstown flood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the South Fork Creek described as being the perfect one of in Chapter 3?
2. What is the name of the place in South Fork that was a perfect solution for boating and fishing?
3. How many people died in Mineral Point in Chapter 4?
4. Who is the chief counsel for the Iron Company in Johnstown?
5. What is the amount of salary Bill Jones accepts from Andrew Carnegie in Chapter 2?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)