|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the brilliant English chemist who founded a contemporary process of producing steel?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) Frank Deckert.
(c) Robert Pitcairn.
(d) Henry Bessemer.
2. What sound is the only warning the people in East Conemaugh receive before the flood in Chapter 4?
(a) A bell.
(b) An open locomotive whistle.
(c) A scream.
(d) A foghorn.
3. How many rooms does the South Fork club have?
4. What massive landmark was the water's first major obstacle?
(a) Town hall.
(b) The Methodist Church.
(c) A stone viaduct.
(d) The prison.
5. What is the name of the engineer of the Chicago Limited?
(a) Henry Phipps.
(b) H.M. Bennett.
(c) D.W.C. Bidwell.
(d) Frank Deckert.
6. What is the name of the person who laid out Conemaugh Old Town?
(a) Joseph Schantz.
(b) W. Horace Rose.
(c) Henry Phipps.
(d) Cyrus Elder.
7. At what height did experts say the dam could not reach if the whole town didn't want to be threatened?
(a) 60 feet.
(b) 80 feet.
(c) 50 feet.
(d) 70 feet.
8. What is the South Fork Creek described as being the perfect one of in Chapter 3?
9. What falls down about 3:15 p.m. on the day of the flood, which causes a great stir in the crowd?
(a) The Methodist Church.
(b) The telegraph tower.
(c) The prison.
(d) The schoolhouse.
10. What height is the water that Seibert observes coming over the top of the dam near the end of Chapter 3?
(a) 30-40 feet.
(b) 50-60 feet.
(c) 40-50 feet.
(d) 70-80 feet.
11. How many passengers and porters on the Day Express died in the flood?
12. Where were the trains trying to get into Johnstown held because of trouble in Lilly?
(a) Mineral Point.
(b) Stony Creek.
(c) East Conemaugh.
13. Who is the first flood-related death ever in Johnstown?
(a) Cyrus Elder.
(b) Chal Dick.
(c) Joseph Ross.
(d) Victor Heiser.
14. What is the name of the engineer who sits in the cab of train No. 2 at Buttermilk Falls in Chapter 4?
(a) George T. Swank.
(b) James B. Scott.
(c) Benjamin J. Ruff.
(d) John Hess.
15. Which of the following immigrants were not mentioned to be watching the parade in Johnstown?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Johnstown residents use collectively for any immigrant willing to work cheap?
2. What does Hettie Ogle see sweep past her and slam into a pier near the end of Chapter 3?
3. What landmark is mentioned as reaching to the heavens in Chapter 1 that can be seen in the Johnstown newspaper?
4. What is the last name of the family who owns the store in Johnstown where rumors of a disaster become a joke just before the flood?
5. At what price does John Reilly buy the area surrounding the dam?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)