|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what section of the train did a passenger have to jump over, crawl under, or run around in order to escape the flood in Chapter 4?
(a) Section 2.
(b) The caboose.
(c) The front car.
(d) Section 1.
2. What do W. Horace Rose and Charles Zimmerman joke about just before the flood starts?
(a) The cows drinking water on Main Street.
(b) Horses roaming the stores.
(c) A break from work.
(d) Boats floating in the street.
3. What is the name of Hettie Ogle's daughter that is with her during the flood?
4. What is the name of the Methodist minister who lives two doors off Main Street?
(a) Rev. Chal Dick.
(b) Rev. H.L. Chapman.
(c) Rev. David Beale.
(d) Rev. John Fulton.
5. How many saloons does greater Johnstown have?
6. Who owns the South Fork dam?
(a) The South Fork Hunting and Fishing Club.
(b) Andrew Carnegie.
(c) The city of Johnstown.
(d) The state of Pennsylvania.
7. What society does W. Horace Rose found in Johnstown?
(a) The Opera Society.
(b) The Honor Society.
(c) The Literary Society.
(d) The Steel Society.
8. What is the name of the manager that is described as the most powerful man in Johnstown?
(a) W. Horace Rose.
(b) James B. Scott.
(c) George T. Swank.
(d) Daniel Johnson Morrell.
9. What is the South Fork Creek described as being the perfect one of in Chapter 3?
10. What disease was the only one prevalent among Johnstown residents in 1889 before the flood?
(a) Chicken Pox.
(b) Strep Throat.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
11. What is the amount of salary Bill Jones accepts from Andrew Carnegie in Chapter 2?
12. What year did work stop on the building of the South Fork dam?
13. What falls down about 3:15 p.m. on the day of the flood, which causes a great stir in the crowd?
(a) The Methodist Church.
(b) The prison.
(c) The schoolhouse.
(d) The telegraph tower.
14. What is the name of the telegraph operator in Mineral Point?
(a) Emma Ehrenfeld.
(b) W.H. Pickerell.
(c) John Hess.
(d) W. Horace Rose.
15. What is the name of the country club that owned the dam that led to much of the Johnstown flood's damage?
(a) Johnstown Hunting Club.
(b) South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club.
(c) Stony Creek Fishing Club.
(d) Johnstown Hunting and Fishing Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cemetery that was found along the river which kept Civil War veterans?
2. Who rides back and forth on horseback trying to exhort the men to dig harder on fixing the dam in Chapter 3?
3. What is the death toll ratio given at the end of Chapter 4?
4. How much money does the book say Cambria Iron had invested in Johnstown by the time the country club was organized?
5. In what year did the South Fork dam break for the first time?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)