|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease was the only one prevalent among Johnstown residents in 1889 before the flood?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(b) Chicken Pox.
(d) Strep Throat.
2. How many passengers and porters on the Day Express died in the flood?
3. Who was willing to help foot the bill for an outlet pipe system to increase the safety of the dam?
(a) The mayor of Johnstown.
(b) Cambria Iron.
(c) The state of Pennsylvania.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
4. How many rooms does the South Fork club have?
5. How many frame houses does Cambria Iron rent from the city of Johnstown?
6. What is the name of the engineer of the Chicago Limited?
(a) D.W.C. Bidwell.
(b) Henry Phipps.
(c) Frank Deckert.
(d) H.M. Bennett.
7. What is the name of the Methodist minister who lives two doors off Main Street?
(a) Rev. John Fulton.
(b) Rev. H.L. Chapman.
(c) Rev. Chal Dick.
(d) Rev. David Beale.
8. What is the name of the engineer who sits in the cab of train No. 2 at Buttermilk Falls in Chapter 4?
(a) John Hess.
(b) George T. Swank.
(c) Benjamin J. Ruff.
(d) James B. Scott.
9. What is the name of Hettie Ogle's daughter that is with her during the flood?
10. How much did the workers at the iron company in Johnstown make for a week's work?
11. What is the name of the cemetery that was found along the river which kept Civil War veterans?
(a) Sandy Vale Cemetery.
(b) Stony Creek Cemetery.
(c) Mineral Point Cemetery.
(d) Johnstown Cemetery.
12. What is the name of the company whose financing led to much of Pittsburgh's industrial growth?
(a) Hart LLC.
(b) Quinn & Family.
(c) Carnegie & Partners.
(d) Mellon & Sons.
13. How much money does the book say Cambria Iron had invested in Johnstown by the time the country club was organized?
(a) $50 million.
(b) $35 million.
(c) $10 million.
(d) $20 million.
14. What is the name of the cantankerous editor of the Tribune?
(a) Henry Clay Frick.
(b) Charles Reade.
(c) Benjamin F. Ruff.
(d) George T. Swank.
15. Who owns the South Fork dam?
(a) The South Fork Hunting and Fishing Club.
(b) Andrew Carnegie.
(c) The city of Johnstown.
(d) The state of Pennsylvania.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what height did experts say the dam could not reach if the whole town didn't want to be threatened?
2. Which of the following positive attributes is not given to Johnstown in regards to the quality of living there?
3. What is the name of the family who are described as atypical in comparison with their neighbors in Johnstown?
4. Where were the trains trying to get into Johnstown held because of trouble in Lilly?
5. What falls down about 3:15 p.m. on the day of the flood, which causes a great stir in the crowd?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)