|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Reid's first impression of White?
2. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
3. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
4. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
5. Where does the narrator say Hari's father gained his wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
2. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
3. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
4. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
5. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
6. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
8. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
10. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of education in this novel. Consider Miss Crane's work in education and Chillingborough, the British school.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on the role of the law and military in society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)