|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
2. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
3. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
4. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
5. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
2. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
3. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. How does "Young Kumar" end?
5. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
6. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
8. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
10. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the value of "insiders" and "outsiders" in Indian society and culture. How does the novel reflect this value?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the narrative style of this novel. What is the effect of having so many voices intertwined? Consider the use of the letters and interview sessions.
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on the role of the law and military in society?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)