|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
2. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
3. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
5. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on the role of the law and military in society?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)