|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
2. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
3. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
4. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
5. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
3. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
5. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
6. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
7. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
8. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. How does "Young Kumar" end?
10. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of education in this novel. Consider Miss Crane's work in education and Chillingborough, the British school.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)