|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
2. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
3. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
4. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
5. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
2. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
3. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
4. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
5. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
6. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
7. How does "Young Kumar" end?
8. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
9. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
10. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)