|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
2. When Reid first hears of Daphne's rape, whom does he blame?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
4. Why is Brigadier A.V. Reid sent to help with the creation of the Indian infantry division?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
2. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
3. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
4. How does "Young Kumar" end?
5. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
6. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
7. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
8. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
9. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
10. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of education in this novel. Consider Miss Crane's work in education and Chillingborough, the British school.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the titles of the chapters in "The Jewel in the Crown." What purpose to they play? Which elements of the text do they relate to? Why might this be?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)