|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
2. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
5. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
2. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
3. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
4. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
5. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
6. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
7. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
8. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "The Jewel in the Crown" deal with shifts in time throughout the narrative? Why might they be handled this way? What is the effect on the message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on the role of the law and military in society?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)