|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hari's father changed his last name to _________.
2. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
3. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
4. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
5. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
2. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
3. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
4. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
5. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
6. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
8. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)