|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
2. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
3. How old was Hari when his father died?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
5. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
2. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
3. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
5. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
6. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
7. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
8. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
9. How does "Young Kumar" end?
10. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of trust vs. distrust in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)