|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
2. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
3. What is Reid's first impression of White?
4. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
5. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
3. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
5. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
6. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
7. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
8. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
9. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
10. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism found within the artwork and other decor in this novel? What purpose does this serve?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the evolution of Gymkhana Club. How does this setting reference historical and societal changes?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)