|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hari's father changed his last name to _________.
2. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
3. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
4. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
5. Where does the narrator say Hari's father gained his wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
2. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
3. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
4. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
5. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
6. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
7. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
8. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
9. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
10. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)