|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
2. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
3. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
5. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
3. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
5. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
6. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
7. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
8. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
9. How does "Young Kumar" end?
10. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)