|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hari's father changed his last name to _________.
2. What does Mr. Srinivasan do when he drives past the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
3. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
2. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
3. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
5. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
6. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
7. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
8. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
9. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
10. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the evolution of Gymkhana Club. How does this setting reference historical and societal changes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
Essay Topic 3
What motivates the people behind Hari's arrest to frame and arrest him? How do these motivating factors compare to what motivates the characters who support Hari?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)