|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
2. Why is Brigadier A.V. Reid sent to help with the creation of the Indian infantry division?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
4. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
5. Why does the visitor spend time at the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
3. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
4. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
6. How does "Young Kumar" end?
7. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
8. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
10. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "The Jewel in the Crown" deal with shifts in time throughout the narrative? Why might they be handled this way? What is the effect on the message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
What motivates the people behind Hari's arrest to frame and arrest him? How do these motivating factors compare to what motivates the characters who support Hari?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)