|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
3. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. How long after the rape does "An Evening at the Club" take place?
5. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
3. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
4. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
5. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
6. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
8. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
9. How does "Young Kumar" end?
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)