|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
2. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
3. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
4. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
5. When does Mr. Srinivasan say he first met Hari?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
2. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
3. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
4. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
5. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
6. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
7. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
8. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
9. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
10. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
Essay Topic 3
How does "The Jewel in the Crown" deal with shifts in time throughout the narrative? Why might they be handled this way? What is the effect on the message of the text?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)