|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
2. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
3. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
4. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
2. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
3. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
6. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
7. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
8. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
9. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
10. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)