|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
2. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
3. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
5. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
2. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
3. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
5. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
6. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
7. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
8. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
10. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of education in this novel. Consider Miss Crane's work in education and Chillingborough, the British school.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)