|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the visitor spend time at the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. When did Hari's mother die?
3. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
4. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
5. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
2. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
3. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
4. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
5. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
6. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
7. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
8. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
9. How does "Young Kumar" end?
10. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
How does "The Jewel in the Crown" deal with shifts in time throughout the narrative? Why might they be handled this way? What is the effect on the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)