|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
2. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
2. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
3. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
5. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
6. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
7. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
8. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
9. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
10. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)