|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
2. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
3. When did Hari's mother die?
4. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
5. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
2. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
3. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
4. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
6. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
8. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
9. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
10. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism found within the artwork and other decor in this novel? What purpose does this serve?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)