|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
2. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
3. In "An Evening at the Club," who arrives with the visitor at Gymkhana Club?
4. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
5. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
2. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
3. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
6. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
8. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
9. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
10. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on the role of the law and military in society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)