|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
2. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
3. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
4. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
5. Hari's father changed his last name to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
2. How does "Young Kumar" end?
3. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
4. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
6. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
7. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
8. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
9. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the evolution of Gymkhana Club. How does this setting reference historical and societal changes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)