|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hari's father die?
2. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
3. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
4. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
5. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
2. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
3. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
5. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
6. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
8. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
9. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
10. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the titles of the chapters in "The Jewel in the Crown." What purpose to they play? Which elements of the text do they relate to? Why might this be?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)