|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
2. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
3. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
4. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
5. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
2. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
3. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
4. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
5. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
6. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
7. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
8. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
10. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the value of "insiders" and "outsiders" in Indian society and culture. How does the novel reflect this value?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)