|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Srinivasan do when he drives past the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
3. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
5. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
2. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
3. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
4. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
6. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
7. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
8. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
9. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
10. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does "The Jewel in the Crown" deal with shifts in time throughout the narrative? Why might they be handled this way? What is the effect on the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)