|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gandhi arrested in "Miss Crane"?
2. After Gandhi is arrested, how do the schoolchildren get home?
3. Why is Sister Ludmilla called "sister"?
4. In "MacGregor House," how does Daphne Manners try to make friends?
5. What does Sister Ludmilla say about Daphne's behavior after her rape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
3. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
4. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
6. How does Daphne describe the Bibighar Gardens?
7. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
8. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
9. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
10. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the narrative style of this novel. What is the effect of having so many voices intertwined? Consider the use of the letters and interview sessions.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the titles of the chapters in "The Jewel in the Crown." What purpose to they play? Which elements of the text do they relate to? Why might this be?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)