Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Chaudhuri suggest when Miss Crane sees a group of men in the road?
2. On the night of Daphne's rape, why does Lady Chatterjee say Robert came to her house?
3. What position does Miss Crane hold at her school?
4. After Gandhi is arrested, how do the schoolchildren get home?
5. Where does Lady Chatterjee say Daphne Manners went with Hari their first time in public?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
3. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
4. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
5. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
6. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
7. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
8. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
9. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
10. How does Lady Chatterjee reveal her character when she tells the story of visiting Miss Crane in the hospital?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the connection between belonging in society and physical space. Consider how characters feel in different locations as well as the search for physical and emotional space.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)