|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of accent does Sister Ludmilla have?
2. In the painting called "The Jewel in the Crown," what do the Indians do?
3. Whom does Daphne Manners tell first after Robert proposes?
4. In "Miss Crane," how often did Miss Crane entertain Indian women at her home?
5. In "Miss Crane," what is The Indian Congress considering?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
2. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
3. Why is Miss Crane in India?
4. In "Miss Crane," what happens to the picture of Ghandi?
5. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
6. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
7. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
8. What role does Sister Ludmilla play at the Sanctuary?
9. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
10. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)