|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the looters did to Miss Crane?
2. How far is Kotari from Mayapore?
3. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari often came to the Sanctuary?
4. What does Miss Crane use the painting "The Jewel in the Crown" to teach?
5. Why does Rajendra Singh punch Hari in the face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a suttee?
2. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
3. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
4. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
5. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
6. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari went with the police?
7. How does Sister Ludmilla describe Daphne in "Sister Ludmilla"?
8. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
9. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
10. How does Miss Crane feel about the Indian people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of trust vs. distrust in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the value of "insiders" and "outsiders" in Indian society and culture. How does the novel reflect this value?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of education in this novel. Consider Miss Crane's work in education and Chillingborough, the British school.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)