|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Sister Ludmilla hire to protect her?
2. After Gandhi is arrested, how do the schoolchildren get home?
3. What does Miss Crane suffer from while driving from Kotari to Mayapore?
4. Why does Rajendra Singh punch Hari in the face?
5. Who is said to haunt the MacGregor House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
2. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
3. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
4. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
5. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
6. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
7. What is a suttee?
8. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
9. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
10. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates the people behind Hari's arrest to frame and arrest him? How do these motivating factors compare to what motivates the characters who support Hari?
Essay Topic 2
Trace the evolution of Gymkhana Club. How does this setting reference historical and societal changes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)