|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sister Ludmilla support the Sanctuary?
2. What does Miss Crane suffer from while driving from Kotari to Mayapore?
3. What does Mr. Chaudhuri suggest when Miss Crane sees a group of men in the road?
4. Whom does Daphne Manners tell first after Robert proposes?
5. Where does Lady Chatterjee say Daphne Manners went with Hari their first time in public?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sister Ludmilla describe Daphne in "Sister Ludmilla"?
2. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
3. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
4. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
5. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
6. Why is Miss Crane in India?
7. What role does Sister Ludmilla play at the Sanctuary?
8. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
9. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
10. In "Miss Crane," what happens to the picture of Ghandi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the narrative style of this novel. What is the effect of having so many voices intertwined? Consider the use of the letters and interview sessions.
Essay Topic 2
What motivates the people behind Hari's arrest to frame and arrest him? How do these motivating factors compare to what motivates the characters who support Hari?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)