|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The crowds in Dibrapur protest because of ___________.
2. How did Miss Crane end up in India?
3. Who is said to haunt the MacGregor House?
4. Where does Lady Chatterjee say she visited Miss Crane in the hospital?
5. What is Miss Crane said to have done to the men looting the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
2. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
3. How does Lady Chatterjee reveal her character when she tells the story of visiting Miss Crane in the hospital?
4. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari went with the police?
5. What is a suttee?
6. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
7. In "MacGregor House," why do some people avoid Lady Chatterjee?
8. How does Sister Ludmilla describe Daphne in "Sister Ludmilla"?
9. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
10. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism found within the artwork and other decor in this novel? What purpose does this serve?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the value of "insiders" and "outsiders" in Indian society and culture. How does the novel reflect this value?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)