|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sister Ludmilla, what did she call Hari when Merrick came to visit?
2. Who does Robert work for?
3. How did Miss Crane end up in India?
4. Why does Sister Ludmilla say she didn't know Hari's name when she first met him?
5. What does the narrator say happened to the house at Bibighar Gardens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
2. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
3. What is a suttee?
4. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
5. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
6. Why is Miss Crane in India?
7. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
8. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
9. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
10. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)