|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Merrick once told her to keep everyone on lock down at the Sanctuary?
2. When Sister Ludmilla is interviewed, what does she first talk about?
3. Where does Sister Ludmilla say Hari was the first time she met him?
4. Whom does Sister Ludmilla hire to protect her?
5. What position does Miss Crane hold at her school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
2. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
3. How does Miss Crane feel about the Indian people?
4. Why is Miss Crane in India?
5. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
6. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
7. What does Sister Ludmilla give as possible reasons for the house to burn at Bibighar Gardens?
8. How does Lady Chatterjee reveal her character when she tells the story of visiting Miss Crane in the hospital?
9. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
10. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the narrative style of this novel. What is the effect of having so many voices intertwined? Consider the use of the letters and interview sessions.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)