|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
2. Why does Miss Crane stop entertaining Indian women at her home?
3. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne Manners came to stay with her?
4. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari often came to the Sanctuary?
5. What does Miss Crane use the painting "The Jewel in the Crown" to teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In a letter to her aunt, what does Daphne say makes her love Hari even more?
2. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
3. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
5. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
6. What is a suttee?
7. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
8. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. How does Lady Chatterjee reveal her character when she tells the story of visiting Miss Crane in the hospital?
10. In "The Bibighar Gardens," what is revealed about Daphne's dating history with Hari?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does "The Jewel in the Crown" deal with shifts in time throughout the narrative? Why might they be handled this way? What is the effect on the message of the text?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)