|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sister Ludmilla say Hari was the first time she met him?
2. Why is Sister Ludmilla allowed to live at the Sanctuary?
3. Why does Miss Crane distrust Mr. Chaudhuri as a teacher?
4. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
5. How does Sister Ludmilla support the Sanctuary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daphne reveal about her rape in a letter to her aunt?
2. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
3. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
4. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
5. How does Sister Ludmilla describe Daphne in "Sister Ludmilla"?
6. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
7. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
8. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
9. In "The Bibighar Gardens," how does Daphne describe her relationship with the other British citizens in India?
10. In "MacGregor House," why do some people avoid Lady Chatterjee?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of education in this novel. Consider Miss Crane's work in education and Chillingborough, the British school.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)