|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
2. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Merrick once told her to keep everyone on lock down at the Sanctuary?
3. Why do the police try to stop Miss Crane from driving from Kotari to Mayapore?
4. The crowds in Dibrapur protest because of ___________.
5. What does Sister Ludmilla do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
2. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
3. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
4. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
5. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
6. Why is Miss Crane in India?
7. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
8. In "MacGregor House," why do some people avoid Lady Chatterjee?
9. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
10. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Parvati in this novel? Consider the sections where she appears along with how she is described.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)