|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Crane distrust Mr. Chaudhuri as a teacher?
2. In "Miss Crane," how often did Miss Crane entertain Indian women at her home?
3. What type of accent does Sister Ludmilla have?
4. Who runs the "Sanctuary"?
5. In "Miss Crane," why does the author mention The Bibighar Gardens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Bibighar Gardens," how does Daphne describe her relationship with the other British citizens in India?
2. In "The Bibighar Gardens," what is the issue people are most concerned with surrounding Daphne's pregnancy?
3. Why is Miss Crane in India?
4. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
5. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
6. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
7. In a letter to her aunt, what does Daphne say makes her love Hari even more?
8. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
10. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of trust vs. distrust in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the titles of the chapters in "The Jewel in the Crown." What purpose to they play? Which elements of the text do they relate to? Why might this be?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)