|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
2. Why does Miss Crane dislike Mr. Chaudhuri?
3. What does Sister Ludmilla do for a living?
4. Where does Sister Ludmilla remember traveling with her mother?
5. In "MacGregor House," how does Daphne Manners try to make friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sister Ludmilla give as possible reasons for the house to burn at Bibighar Gardens?
2. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
3. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
4. How does Sister Ludmilla describe Daphne in "Sister Ludmilla"?
5. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
6. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
7. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
8. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
9. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari went with the police?
10. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism found within the artwork and other decor in this novel? What purpose does this serve?
Essay Topic 2
How does "The Jewel in the Crown" deal with shifts in time throughout the narrative? Why might they be handled this way? What is the effect on the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the narrative style of this novel. What is the effect of having so many voices intertwined? Consider the use of the letters and interview sessions.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)