|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Chatterjee say she avoided talking about the "Sanctuary" with Robert?
2. Why is Sister Ludmilla called "sister"?
3. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla say about the house at Bibighar Gardens?
4. Where does Daphne Manners meet Robert?
5. Who finds Mr. Chaudhuri body after he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Miss Crane," what happens to the picture of Ghandi?
2. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
3. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
4. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
5. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
6. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
7. What is a suttee?
8. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
9. How does Miss Crane feel about the Indian people?
10. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of trust vs. distrust in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)