|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Chatterjee say she saw when she visited Miss Crane after she was out of the hospital?
2. In "Miss Crane," how many teachers are at the Dibrapur school?
3. What does the narrator say happened to the house at Bibighar Gardens?
4. How does the Rajput class compare to others in India?
5. After Sister Ludmilla took Hari to the Sanctuary, who does she say came looking for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
2. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
3. What role does Sister Ludmilla play at the Sanctuary?
4. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
5. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
6. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
7. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
8. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
9. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
10. What is a suttee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the narrative style of this novel. What is the effect of having so many voices intertwined? Consider the use of the letters and interview sessions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)