|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sanctuary become after several years in operation?
2. In "Miss Crane," what is The Indian Congress considering?
3. What does Sister Ludmilla say about Daphne's behavior after her rape?
4. How does Sister Ludmilla treat beggars?
5. What does Miss Crane say about Mahatma Gandhi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Crane feel about Gandhi?
2. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
3. What is a suttee?
4. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
5. Why is Miss Crane in India?
6. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
7. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
8. How does Miss Crane feel about the Indian people?
9. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari went with the police?
10. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on the role of the law and military in society?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)