|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lady Chatterjee describe her relationship with Parvati?
2. In "MacGregor House," what is Daphne Manners's first letter to her family like?
3. In "Miss Crane," how often did Miss Crane entertain Indian women at her home?
4. Where does Sister Ludmilla say Hari was the first time she met him?
5. Why does Miss Crane dislike Mr. Chaudhuri?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
2. What does Sister Ludmilla give as possible reasons for the house to burn at Bibighar Gardens?
3. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
4. How does Miss Crane feel about Gandhi?
5. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
6. In "Miss Crane," what happens to the picture of Ghandi?
7. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
8. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
9. How does Miss Crane feel about the Indian people?
10. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the word choice and dialects spoken in each of the interview sessions. What do these devices provide in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)