|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," what is Daphne Manners's first letter to her family like?
2. Where does Sister Ludmilla say Hari was the first time she met him?
3. Who runs the "Sanctuary"?
4. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
5. What does the narrator say the looters did to Miss Crane?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
2. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
3. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
4. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
5. What does Sister Ludmilla give as possible reasons for the house to burn at Bibighar Gardens?
6. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
7. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
8. How does Miss Crane feel about Gandhi?
9. What is a suttee?
10. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism found within the artwork and other decor in this novel? What purpose does this serve?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)