|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Crane suffer from while driving from Kotari to Mayapore?
2. The crowds in Dibrapur protest because of ___________.
3. What does Lady Chatterjee say made her husband special?
4. How does Lady Chatterjee describe her relationship with Parvati?
5. Why does Rajendra Singh punch Hari in the face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
2. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
3. In "MacGregor House," why do some people avoid Lady Chatterjee?
4. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
5. What is a suttee?
6. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
7. How does Lady Chatterjee reveal her character when she tells the story of visiting Miss Crane in the hospital?
8. How does Miss Crane feel about the Indian people?
9. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
10. What role does Sister Ludmilla play at the Sanctuary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the connection between belonging in society and physical space. Consider how characters feel in different locations as well as the search for physical and emotional space.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the titles of the chapters in "The Jewel in the Crown." What purpose to they play? Which elements of the text do they relate to? Why might this be?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)