|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Chatterjee say she avoided talking about the "Sanctuary" with Robert?
2. When Sister Ludmilla is interviewed, what does she first talk about?
3. How does the Rajput class compare to others in India?
4. What does Miss Crane suffer from while driving from Kotari to Mayapore?
5. Why is Sister Ludmilla allowed to live at the Sanctuary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Sister Ludmilla play at the Sanctuary?
2. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
3. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
4. What is a suttee?
5. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
6. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
7. What does Sister Ludmilla give as possible reasons for the house to burn at Bibighar Gardens?
8. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
9. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
10. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Trace the evolution of Gymkhana Club. How does this setting reference historical and societal changes?
Essay Topic 3
What motivates the people behind Hari's arrest to frame and arrest him? How do these motivating factors compare to what motivates the characters who support Hari?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)