|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lady Chatterjee say she visited Miss Crane in the hospital?
2. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
3. When Sister Ludmilla is interviewed, what does she first talk about?
4. What does Sister Ludmilla do for a living?
5. What does the narrator say happened to the house at Bibighar Gardens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Miss Crane," what happens to the picture of Ghandi?
2. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
3. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
4. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
5. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
6. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
7. How does Miss Crane feel about the Indian people?
8. In "MacGregor House," why do some people avoid Lady Chatterjee?
9. Why does Miss Crane want to drive from Kotari to Mayapore?
10. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the connection between belonging in society and physical space. Consider how characters feel in different locations as well as the search for physical and emotional space.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Daphne's relationship with Hari. How does this relationship facilitate the development of the plot? What other role does it play in the novel?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)