|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Ludmilla say about Daphne's behavior after her rape?
2. How do British people feel about Lady Chatterjee's title in "MacGregor House"?
3. What does Miss Crane say about Mahatma Gandhi?
4. In "Miss Crane," why does the author mention The Bibighar Gardens?
5. Why does Lady Chatterjee say the head nurse at the hospital was surprised to see her visiting Miss Crane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
2. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
3. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
4. How does Sister Ludmilla describe Daphne in "Sister Ludmilla"?
5. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
6. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
7. What is a suttee?
8. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
9. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
10. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lady Chatterjee to Lady Manners.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relation between the author's life and "The Jewel in the Crown." Research the author to make connections between his life and this novel.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)