|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say happened to the house at Bibighar Gardens?
2. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari often came to the Sanctuary?
3. Who is said to haunt the MacGregor House?
4. In "Miss Crane," what is The Indian Congress considering?
5. Where does Sister Ludmilla say Hari was the first time she met him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
2. Why is Miss Crane in India?
3. What is a suttee?
4. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
5. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
6. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
7. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
8. What happens to Miss Crane while driving from Kotari to Mayapore in "Miss Crane"?
9. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
10. How does Miss Crane feel about Gandhi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the narrative style of this novel. What is the effect of having so many voices intertwined? Consider the use of the letters and interview sessions.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the value of "insiders" and "outsiders" in Indian society and culture. How does the novel reflect this value?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hari as a representation of the repression of India.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)