|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Robert work for?
2. Why does Sister Ludmilla say she didn't know Hari's name when she first met him?
3. What does Sister Ludmilla say about Daphne's behavior after her rape?
4. When does Lady Chatterjee say Robert told her about his proposal to Daphne?
5. What does Miss Crane use the painting "The Jewel in the Crown" to teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," what does Lady Chatterjee say about the night of Daphne's rape?
2. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
3. In "MacGregor House," what history of the MacGregor House is given?
4. How does Lady Chatterjee reveal her character when she tells the story of visiting Miss Crane in the hospital?
5. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
6. How does Lady Chatterjee say she was treated when Daphne moved in with her?
7. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
8. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
9. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
10. Why is Miss Crane in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the titles of the chapters in "The Jewel in the Crown." What purpose to they play? Which elements of the text do they relate to? Why might this be?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of trust vs. distrust in this novel.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)