|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Daphne Manners tell first after Robert proposes?
2. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
3. Why does Miss Crane stop entertaining Indian women at her home?
4. Why is Sister Ludmilla called "sister"?
5. Who finds Mr. Chaudhuri body after he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," what does Daphne write to her aunt?
2. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
3. How does Sister Ludmilla say she met Hari?
4. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
5. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
6. What does Lady Chatterjee say happened when she visited with Miss Crane after she was released from the hospital?
7. What does Merrick do when he visits the Sanctuary?
8. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari went with the police?
9. In "Sister Ludmilla," what does Sister Ludmilla reveal about Hari's relationship with Daphne?
10. How does Sister Ludmilla describe Daphne in "Sister Ludmilla"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of an unnamed narrator who also serves as a character in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Britain and India in this text. What does the author reveal about the two societies and humanity, in general, with this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)