|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Miss Crane end up in India?
2. What does the narrator say the looters did to Miss Crane?
3. How does Sister Ludmilla support the Sanctuary?
4. Whom does Daphne Manners tell first after Robert proposes?
5. What does the Sanctuary become after several years in operation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Bibighar Gardens," how does Daphne describe her relationship with the other British citizens in India?
2. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
3. What role does Daphne's bicycle play in Hari's arrest?
4. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
5. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari went with the police?
6. In "The Bibighar Gardens," what is revealed about Daphne's dating history with Hari?
7. What role does Sister Ludmilla play at the Sanctuary?
8. How does Miss Crane feel about Gandhi?
9. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use symbolism to support the major themes of "The Jewel in the Crown"?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism found within the artwork and other decor in this novel? What purpose does this serve?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on the role of the law and military in society?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)