|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He is proud of it.
(b) He is ashamed of joining.
(c) He admits he only did it to travel.
(d) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
2. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
3. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor on a tour.
(b) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
(c) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(d) Take the visitor to the theater.
4. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
(a) He lived it through a white man's perspective.
(b) He has blocked it all out.
(c) He hasn't been there in years.
(d) He has been sick.
5. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To run for public office.
(b) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
(c) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
(d) To protest the arrests of his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
2. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
3. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
4. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
5. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
2. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
3. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
5. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
6. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
7. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
8. How does "Young Kumar" end?
9. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)