|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(a) His aunt.
(c) The church.
2. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
3. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To run for public office.
(b) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
(c) To protest the arrests of his friends.
(d) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
4. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He is ashamed of joining.
(b) He is proud of it.
(c) He admits he only did it to travel.
(d) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
5. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) He has been sick.
(b) He can no longer afford membership.
(c) He was kicked out.
(d) British rule has ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Brigadier A.V. Reid sent to help with the creation of the Indian infantry division?
2. Why is Mr. Srinivasan described as being a non-military Indian?
3. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
4. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
5. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
2. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
3. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
4. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
5. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
6. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
7. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
8. How does "Young Kumar" end?
9. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
10. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)