|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He has a lot of money to spend.
(b) He wants to be accepted by the English.
(c) He has English manners and tastes.
(d) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
2. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is more comfortable than most.
(b) It is less comfortable than most.
(c) It is less dangerous than most.
(d) It is more dangerous than most.
3. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) His father was a criminal.
(b) His mother could still be alive.
(c) His grandparents lived in India.
(d) They were broke.
4. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
(b) The procurement of weapons.
(c) The use of the military.
(d) The hiring of employees.
5. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Robin White.
(b) A member of the Indian army.
(c) Lady Chatterjee.
(d) He went by himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
2. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
3. When Reid first hears of Daphne's rape, whom does he blame?
4. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
2. How does "Young Kumar" end?
3. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
5. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
6. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
7. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
8. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
9. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
10. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)