|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
2. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
(a) She isn't allowed to speak to her.
(b) She doesn't see her.
(c) Lady Chatterjee is Indian.
(d) She doesn't ignore Lady Chatterjee.
3. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To use a strong hand.
(b) To hire an outside firm.
(c) To spend more on weapons.
(d) To decrease the number in the army.
4. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) They are upset about the violence.
(b) They don't protest.
(c) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
(d) The people think they are innocent.
5. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
(a) His marrying an American.
(b) His becoming a laywer.
(c) His staying in India.
(d) His traveling to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
2. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
3. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
4. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
5. What does Menen do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
2. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
3. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
4. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
5. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
6. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
7. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
8. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
9. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
10. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)