|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The likelihood of unrest.
(b) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
(c) The chance of buying new weapons.
(d) The role of the United States in India.
2. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) Because of the money they have.
(b) To act as figureheads.
(c) To avoid trouble with the government.
(d) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
3. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) They don't protest.
(b) The people think they are innocent.
(c) They are upset about the violence.
(d) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
4. What does Mr. Srinivasan do when he drives past the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He asks Lady Chatterjee if she wants to stop and visit it.
(b) He asks the visitor if he wants to see it.
(c) He makes a small donation.
(d) He drives quickly past it.
5. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
2. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
3. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
4. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
5. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
3. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
4. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
5. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
6. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
7. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
8. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
9. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
10. How does Hari end up living in England as a child?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)