|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hari's father die?
(a) He committed suicide.
(d) A car accident.
2. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
(a) Indian independence.
(d) England's rule.
3. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The chance of buying new weapons.
(b) The likelihood of unrest.
(c) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
(d) The role of the United States in India.
4. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He admits he only did it to travel.
(b) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
(c) He is ashamed of joining.
(d) He is proud of it.
5. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Mr. Srinivasan.
(b) Robin White.
(c) Brigadier Reid.
(d) Lady Chatterjee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
2. Hari's father changed his last name to _________.
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
4. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
5. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
2. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
3. What is the first story Mr. Srinivasan tells the visitor in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
5. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
6. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
7. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
8. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
9. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
10. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)