|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is more comfortable than most.
(b) It is less dangerous than most.
(c) It is less comfortable than most.
(d) It is more dangerous than most.
2. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor on a tour.
(b) Take the visitor to the theater.
(c) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(d) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
3. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
(b) He admits he only did it to travel.
(c) He is ashamed of joining.
(d) He is proud of it.
4. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) He had his best friend choose.
(b) He took out a personal ad.
(c) She was chosen for him by his family.
(d) She was his first girlfriend.
5. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
(a) A reluctant participant.
(b) An old-style Indian.
(c) A man-child.
(d) A changing Englishman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hari's father die?
2. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
5. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
2. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
3. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
4. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
5. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
6. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
7. What happens when Lady Chatterjee and Mr. Srinivasan first arrive at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
8. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
9. How does "Young Kumar" end?
10. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)