|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hari's father die?
(a) A car accident.
(d) He committed suicide.
2. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
(a) He is cleaning out his house.
(b) He is preparing for a lawsuit.
(c) He is being interviewed for television.
(d) He is preparing his memoir.
3. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He wants to be accepted by the English.
(b) He has English manners and tastes.
(c) He has a lot of money to spend.
(d) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
4. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
(a) Lady Chatterjee is Indian.
(b) She doesn't ignore Lady Chatterjee.
(c) She doesn't see her.
(d) She isn't allowed to speak to her.
5. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
(a) England's rule.
(d) Indian independence.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
2. What does Menen do for a living?
3. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
4. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
5. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
3. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
4. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
5. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
6. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
7. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
8. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
9. Who is Shalini Gupta Sen?
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Reid explain the role of the military in breaking up mobs?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)