|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) He had his best friend choose.
(b) He took out a personal ad.
(c) She was his first girlfriend.
(d) She was chosen for him by his family.
2. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
(a) His father's reputation was not good.
(b) His lack of education.
(c) He is Indian.
(d) He spoke with an accent.
3. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He did not plan it.
(b) He knew who started it.
(c) He was physically injured during a riot.
(d) He was the mastermind behind it.
4. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
(a) A government building.
(b) A river.
(c) A wall.
(d) A cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
2. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
3. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
5. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robin White tell the visitor about the role of Britain in India in "Civil and Military"?
2. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White respond to Reid's memoir?
3. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
5. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari return to India?
6. On the night of Daphne's rape, what does Merrick tell Reid about the events?
7. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
8. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
9. According to the narrator in "Young Kumar," what was Hari's father's relationship like with England?
10. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)