|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) She was chosen for him by his family.
(b) He had his best friend choose.
(c) He took out a personal ad.
(d) She was his first girlfriend.
2. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) He starts his own business.
(c) The government.
(d) A university.
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
(a) Sister Ludmilla told him.
(b) He was asked to do the questioning.
(c) Hari wrote him a letter from jail.
(d) He didn't find out until after the questioning happened.
4. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The likelihood of unrest.
(b) The chance of buying new weapons.
(c) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
(d) The role of the United States in India.
5. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He was busy working.
(b) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
(c) He disliked Hari.
(d) He wants Hari to be raised English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
2. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
3. When did Hari's mother die?
4. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
5. When Reid first hears of Daphne's rape, whom does he blame?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
2. In "Civil and Military," what is Brigadier Reid's role with the infantry?
3. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. Why does Brigadier Reid not like Robin White?
5. Why does Robin White no longer visit the Gymkhana Club?
6. What does Mr. Srinivasan tell the visitor about Hari in "An Evening at the Club"?
7. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the narrator say about Indian businesses after the British left?
8. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
9. What surprises Hari most when he returns to India in "Young Kumar"?
10. As a child, what is Hari's life like in England?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)