|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Miss Crane," how often did Miss Crane entertain Indian women at her home?
(a) Once every two weeks.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Once a month.
2. How did Miss Crane end up in India?
(a) She was sent by the government.
(b) She was just taking a vacation.
(c) She was pregnant and had to leave home.
(d) She came with her employer.
3. What does Miss Crane do at the end of "Miss Crane"?
(a) Leaves the hospital.
(b) Packs up a picture.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Sells her car.
4. Whom does Daphne Manners tell first after Robert proposes?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) Robert's sister.
(d) Her mother.
5. Who runs the "Sanctuary"?
(a) Miss Crane's sister.
(b) A nun.
(c) A former teacher.
(d) A nurse's assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sister Ludmilla allowed to live at the Sanctuary?
2. What does Miss Crane do with the picture of Mahatma Gandhi?
3. In "Miss Crane," what is The Indian Congress considering?
4. After Sister Ludmilla took Hari to the Sanctuary, who does she say came looking for him?
5. Sister Ludmilla says her mother always gave money to ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Miss Crane," what is revealed about Miss Crane's relationship with looters?
2. In "MacGregor House," how is Daphne's relationship with Robert developed?
3. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari went with the police?
4. What is a suttee?
5. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
6. In "MacGregor House," why do some people avoid Lady Chatterjee?
7. In "Miss Crane," what happens to the picture of Ghandi?
8. What does the author reveal about this novel in the first few paragraphs of "Miss Crane"?
9. Why is Miss Crane in India?
10. What does Sister Ludmilla say she did to protect Hari from the police?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)