|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Chaudhuri suggest when Miss Crane sees a group of men in the road?
(a) He doesn't have a suggestion.
(b) She should turn around.
(c) She should give them her car.
(d) She should drive through them.
2. On the night of Daphne's rape, why does Lady Chatterjee say Robert came to her house?
(a) He heard of the rape.
(b) He was worried about political unrest.
(c) He was hiding from enemies.
(d) He didn't come to Lady Chatterjee's house.
3. What position does Miss Crane hold at her school?
(a) Head teacher.
(c) Assistant teacher.
4. After Gandhi is arrested, how do the schoolchildren get home?
(a) They walk home.
(b) Miss Crane pays a bus driver to take them home.
(c) Miss Crane drives them home herself.
(d) They spend the night at school instead of going home.
5. Where does Lady Chatterjee say Daphne Manners went with Hari their first time in public?
(a) A cafe.
(b) A library.
(c) A government building.
(d) A temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the builder of the MacGregor House gain his wealth?
2. Why does Miss Crane fear looters?
3. Why does Lady Chatterjee say she avoided talking about the "Sanctuary" with Robert?
4. Who finds Mr. Chaudhuri body after he dies?
5. Why does Miss Crane stop entertaining Indian women at her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. After Hari leaves England, what happens to his friendship with Colin?
3. What is Miss Crane's relationship with Mr. Chaudhuri?
4. How does Robin White feel about Vidyasagar's statement about Daphne's rape?
5. In "Civil and Military," how do Kumar's friends react after he is arrested?
6. How does the narrator of "Young Kumar" say Hari's father was able to travel to England?
7. How does Lady Chatterjee describe the "Sanctuary" in "MacGregor House"?
8. What is the history of the Gymkhana Club?
9. What does "The Jewel in the Crown" mean to Miss Crane?
10. How does Lady Chatterjee reveal her character when she tells the story of visiting Miss Crane in the hospital?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)