|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
2. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) A school.
(b) An electric company.
(c) A train corporation.
(d) A newspaper.
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The role of the United States in India.
(b) The chance of buying new weapons.
(c) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
(d) The likelihood of unrest.
5. When did Hari's mother die?
(a) When Hari started high school.
(b) When Hari was in grammar school.
(c) When Hari was an infant.
(d) After Hair graduated from school.
6. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
7. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To protest the arrests of his friends.
(b) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
(c) To run for public office.
(d) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
8. When Reid first hears of Daphne's rape, whom does he blame?
(a) He says Daphne is lying.
(b) Hari's friends.
(c) The rioting groups of men.
9. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
(a) She doesn't share her opinion.
(b) She says she is glad the British are gone.
(c) She says she can't make up her mind yet.
(d) She says she misses the British influence.
10. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) His unit is transferred.
(b) He is fired.
(c) He is doing research.
(d) His wife is ill.
11. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
(b) The procurement of weapons.
(c) The hiring of employees.
(d) The use of the military.
12. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
(a) He hasn't been there in years.
(b) He has been sick.
(c) He lived it through a white man's perspective.
(d) He has blocked it all out.
13. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) Through his school.
(b) Through work.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) Through his church.
14. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
(b) He was busy working.
(c) He disliked Hari.
(d) He wants Hari to be raised English.
15. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) To avoid trouble with the government.
(b) To act as figureheads.
(c) Because of the money they have.
(d) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
2. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
3. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
4. When does Mr. Srinivasan say he first met Hari?
5. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)