|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To show him Reid's memoir.
(b) To discuss the war.
(c) To ask him about Hari.
(d) To find out where Daphne is.
2. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
3. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is less dangerous than most.
(b) It is more dangerous than most.
(c) It is less comfortable than most.
(d) It is more comfortable than most.
4. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
(a) The Indian army.
(b) The British army.
(c) The Royal army.
(d) The United States army.
5. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
(a) His father's reputation was not good.
(b) His lack of education.
(c) He spoke with an accent.
(d) He is Indian.
6. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
(a) His family's connections.
(b) His education.
(c) His accent.
(d) His father's money.
7. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) His wife is ill.
(b) His unit is transferred.
(c) He is doing research.
(d) He is fired.
8. When did Hari's mother die?
(a) When Hari started high school.
(b) When Hari was an infant.
(c) When Hari was in grammar school.
(d) After Hair graduated from school.
9. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
(a) A man-child.
(b) A reluctant participant.
(c) An old-style Indian.
(d) A changing Englishman.
10. In "An Evening at the Club," who arrives with the visitor at Gymkhana Club?
(a) Mr. Srinivasan.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) Robin White.
(d) He arrives alone.
11. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
(a) She says she can't make up her mind yet.
(b) She says she is glad the British are gone.
(c) She doesn't share her opinion.
(d) She says she misses the British influence.
12. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) To act as figureheads.
(b) Because of the money they have.
(c) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
(d) To avoid trouble with the government.
13. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
(a) To find each other during battles.
(b) To surrender.
(c) To send secret messages.
(d) To tell people to leave.
14. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
(c) Military leaders.
15. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor on a tour.
(b) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(c) Take the visitor to the theater.
(d) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
2. What does Mr. Srinivasan do when he drives past the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
4. Where does the narrator say Hari's father gained his wealth?
5. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)