|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Brigadier A.V. Reid sent to help with the creation of the Indian infantry division?
(a) He is told to handle the administrative work.
(b) He creates effective army models.
(c) He is told to oversee it.
(d) He was fired from his job in Ireland.
2. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
(a) His becoming a laywer.
(b) His marrying an American.
(c) His traveling to England.
(d) His staying in India.
3. What does Mr. Srinivasan do when he drives past the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He asks the visitor if he wants to see it.
(b) He makes a small donation.
(c) He drives quickly past it.
(d) He asks Lady Chatterjee if she wants to stop and visit it.
4. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
(a) The use of the military.
(b) The hiring of employees.
(d) The procurement of weapons.
5. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
(a) For running away from his duties.
(b) For acting without orders.
(c) They assume he is an insurgent.
(d) They assume he broke his rank.
6. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He wants Hari to be raised English.
(b) He was busy working.
(c) He disliked Hari.
(d) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
7. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) To avoid trouble with the government.
(b) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
(c) To act as figureheads.
(d) Because of the money they have.
8. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
(a) He missed his family.
(b) He failed at his studies.
(c) His wife was pregnant.
(d) He was deported.
9. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(b) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
(c) Take the visitor to the theater.
(d) Take the visitor on a tour.
10. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He shakes her hand, but won't speak to her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He is mean to her.
(d) He is kind to her.
11. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
(a) His father's reputation was not good.
(b) He is Indian.
(c) His lack of education.
(d) He spoke with an accent.
12. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
13. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
(a) To tell people to leave.
(b) To surrender.
(c) To find each other during battles.
(d) To send secret messages.
14. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
15. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
2. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
3. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
4. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
5. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)