|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
(a) His family's connections.
(b) His father's money.
(c) His accent.
(d) His education.
2. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) His grandparents lived in India.
(b) His mother could still be alive.
(c) His father was a criminal.
(d) They were broke.
3. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To protest the arrests of his friends.
(b) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
(c) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
(d) To run for public office.
4. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To ask him about Hari.
(b) To find out where Daphne is.
(c) To discuss the war.
(d) To show him Reid's memoir.
5. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He is mean to her.
(b) He is kind to her.
(c) He shakes her hand, but won't speak to her.
(d) He ignores her.
6. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is more comfortable than most.
(b) It is less comfortable than most.
(c) It is more dangerous than most.
(d) It is less dangerous than most.
7. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
(a) He drinks alcohol.
(b) He paints Daphne's portrait.
(c) He writes an editorial.
(d) He joins the army.
8. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He admits he only did it to travel.
(b) He is ashamed of joining.
(c) He is proud of it.
(d) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
9. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Lady Chatterjee.
(b) Mr. Srinivasan.
(c) Brigadier Reid.
(d) Robin White.
10. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
11. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
12. Why does the visitor spend time at the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He doesn't spend any time at the temple.
(b) Lady Chatterjee insists.
(c) It has a connection to Daphne.
(d) He wants to photograph it.
13. When Reid first hears of Daphne's rape, whom does he blame?
(b) The rioting groups of men.
(c) Hari's friends.
(d) He says Daphne is lying.
14. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
(a) England's rule.
(b) Indian independence.
15. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
(a) He failed at his studies.
(b) He was deported.
(c) His wife was pregnant.
(d) He missed his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
2. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
3. How long after the rape does "An Evening at the Club" take place?
4. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
5. How old was Hari when his father died?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)