|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) They are upset about the violence.
(b) The people think they are innocent.
(c) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
(d) They don't protest.
2. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
(a) He taught her to read and write.
(b) He sent her on vacations.
(c) He mails her books from every country he visits.
(d) He paints her portrait every five years.
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is doing research.
(c) His unit is transferred.
(d) His wife is ill.
4. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(a) His aunt.
(c) The church.
5. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
(a) She doesn't see her.
(b) She isn't allowed to speak to her.
(c) She doesn't ignore Lady Chatterjee.
(d) Lady Chatterjee is Indian.
6. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
(a) His staying in India.
(b) His becoming a laywer.
(c) His traveling to England.
(d) His marrying an American.
7. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
(a) It almost went broke.
(b) Few Indians were allowed in.
(c) It always closed early.
(d) Only men were allowed in.
8. How long after the rape does "An Evening at the Club" take place?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 1 year.
9. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He was the mastermind behind it.
(b) He knew who started it.
(c) He was physically injured during a riot.
(d) He did not plan it.
10. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
(a) Like a brother and sister.
(b) Like a father and child.
(c) Like an uncle and nephew.
(d) Like a mother and infant.
11. What does Menen do for a living?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is a judge.
(c) He is a businessman.
(d) He is an army general.
12. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) A school.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A train corporation.
(d) An electric company.
13. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
(a) The government.
(b) A university.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) He starts his own business.
14. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
15. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
2. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
3. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. What is Reid's first impression of White?
5. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)