|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
(a) He paints her portrait every five years.
(b) He sent her on vacations.
(c) He mails her books from every country he visits.
(d) He taught her to read and write.
2. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) She was chosen for him by his family.
(b) He had his best friend choose.
(c) She was his first girlfriend.
(d) He took out a personal ad.
3. How did Hari's father die?
(b) A car accident.
(c) He committed suicide.
4. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
(a) He drinks alcohol.
(b) He writes an editorial.
(c) He paints Daphne's portrait.
(d) He joins the army.
5. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The likelihood of unrest.
(b) The chance of buying new weapons.
(c) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
(d) The role of the United States in India.
6. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) He was kicked out.
(b) British rule has ended.
(c) He can no longer afford membership.
(d) He has been sick.
7. In "An Evening at the Club," who arrives with the visitor at Gymkhana Club?
(a) Robin White.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) He arrives alone.
(d) Mr. Srinivasan.
8. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He is given a desk job.
(b) He is given a more active role in World War II.
(c) He is transferred to China.
(d) He is made supervisor.
9. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(b) The church.
(d) His aunt.
10. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) A train corporation.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A school.
(d) An electric company.
11. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He was busy working.
(b) He disliked Hari.
(c) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
(d) He wants Hari to be raised English.
12. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) They were broke.
(b) His mother could still be alive.
(c) His grandparents lived in India.
(d) His father was a criminal.
13. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
(a) She says she misses the British influence.
(b) She doesn't share her opinion.
(c) She says she is glad the British are gone.
(d) She says she can't make up her mind yet.
14. When did Hari's mother die?
(a) When Hari started high school.
(b) After Hair graduated from school.
(c) When Hari was an infant.
(d) When Hari was in grammar school.
15. How long after the rape does "An Evening at the Club" take place?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 1 year.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
2. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
4. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
5. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)