|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To ask him about Hari.
(b) To show him Reid's memoir.
(c) To find out where Daphne is.
(d) To discuss the war.
2. Why does the visitor spend time at the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Lady Chatterjee insists.
(b) He wants to photograph it.
(c) It has a connection to Daphne.
(d) He doesn't spend any time at the temple.
3. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He was physically injured during a riot.
(b) He was the mastermind behind it.
(c) He did not plan it.
(d) He knew who started it.
4. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He has English manners and tastes.
(b) He has a lot of money to spend.
(c) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
(d) He wants to be accepted by the English.
5. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
(a) His becoming a laywer.
(b) His marrying an American.
(c) His traveling to England.
(d) His staying in India.
6. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) Through his school.
(b) Through his church.
(c) Through work.
(d) They are cousins.
7. Why is Brigadier A.V. Reid sent to help with the creation of the Indian infantry division?
(a) He is told to handle the administrative work.
(b) He is told to oversee it.
(c) He was fired from his job in Ireland.
(d) He creates effective army models.
8. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) His grandparents lived in India.
(b) His mother could still be alive.
(c) They were broke.
(d) His father was a criminal.
9. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
(a) A government building.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) A wall.
(d) A river.
10. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
(a) It almost went broke.
(b) It always closed early.
(c) Few Indians were allowed in.
(d) Only men were allowed in.
11. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He disliked Hari.
(b) He wants Hari to be raised English.
(c) He was busy working.
(d) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
12. When does Mr. Srinivasan say he first met Hari?
(a) When Hari was questioned by police.
(b) When Hari met Daphne.
(c) When Hair came to the club.
(d) When Hari was a child.
13. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His aunt.
14. What is Reid's first impression of White?
(a) He doesn't know enough about war.
(b) He doesn't use logic.
(c) He has little experience.
(d) He thinks too much.
15. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
(a) He paints her portrait every five years.
(b) He mails her books from every country he visits.
(c) He taught her to read and write.
(d) He sent her on vacations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
2. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
3. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
4. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
5. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)