|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
(a) Like a brother and sister.
(b) Like an uncle and nephew.
(c) Like a father and child.
(d) Like a mother and infant.
2. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He knew who started it.
(b) He was the mastermind behind it.
(c) He was physically injured during a riot.
(d) He did not plan it.
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His sister.
(d) His cousin.
5. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
(a) She says she is glad the British are gone.
(b) She doesn't share her opinion.
(c) She says she misses the British influence.
(d) She says she can't make up her mind yet.
6. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(a) The church.
(d) His aunt.
7. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) No one joins them.
(c) The visitor's girlfriend.
(d) Robin White.
8. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
(a) The hiring of employees.
(b) The procurement of weapons.
(d) The use of the military.
9. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor on a tour.
(b) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(c) Take the visitor to the theater.
(d) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
10. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) An electric company.
(b) A train corporation.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A school.
11. What does Mr. Srinivasan do when he drives past the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He asks the visitor if he wants to see it.
(b) He asks Lady Chatterjee if she wants to stop and visit it.
(c) He drives quickly past it.
(d) He makes a small donation.
12. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
(a) His accent.
(b) His father's money.
(c) His family's connections.
(d) His education.
13. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
(a) He is Indian.
(b) He spoke with an accent.
(c) His lack of education.
(d) His father's reputation was not good.
14. When did Hari's mother die?
(a) When Hari was in grammar school.
(b) After Hair graduated from school.
(c) When Hari was an infant.
(d) When Hari started high school.
15. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
(a) Only men were allowed in.
(b) It almost went broke.
(c) It always closed early.
(d) Few Indians were allowed in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
2. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
4. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
5. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)