|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
(a) A university.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) The government.
(d) He starts his own business.
2. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To protest the arrests of his friends.
(b) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
(c) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
(d) To run for public office.
3. When Reid first hears of Daphne's rape, whom does he blame?
(a) He says Daphne is lying.
(b) The rioting groups of men.
(d) Hari's friends.
4. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) Because of the money they have.
(b) To avoid trouble with the government.
(c) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
(d) To act as figureheads.
5. When did Hari's mother die?
(a) After Hair graduated from school.
(b) When Hari was an infant.
(c) When Hari started high school.
(d) When Hari was in grammar school.
6. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(b) Take the visitor to the theater.
(c) Take the visitor on a tour.
(d) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
7. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
8. How old was Hari when his father died?
9. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
10. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
(a) To tell people to leave.
(b) To send secret messages.
(c) To find each other during battles.
(d) To surrender.
11. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
12. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(a) His aunt.
(b) The church.
13. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Robin White.
(b) Mr. Srinivasan.
(c) Lady Chatterjee.
(d) Brigadier Reid.
14. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The chance of buying new weapons.
(b) The role of the United States in India.
(c) The likelihood of unrest.
(d) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
15. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
(a) He paints her portrait every five years.
(b) He sent her on vacations.
(c) He mails her books from every country he visits.
(d) He taught her to read and write.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
2. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
3. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
4. What does Menen do for a living?
5. Where does the narrator say Hari's father gained his wealth?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)