|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
(a) To find each other during battles.
(b) To tell people to leave.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To send secret messages.
2. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) Through his school.
(b) Through his church.
(c) Through work.
(d) They are cousins.
3. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Lady Chatterjee.
(b) He went by himself.
(c) A member of the Indian army.
(d) Robin White.
4. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
5. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) They are upset about the violence.
(b) They don't protest.
(c) The people think they are innocent.
(d) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
6. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He admits he only did it to travel.
(b) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
(c) He is ashamed of joining.
(d) He is proud of it.
7. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He was busy working.
(b) He disliked Hari.
(c) He wants Hari to be raised English.
(d) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
8. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
(b) Take the visitor to the theater.
(c) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(d) Take the visitor on a tour.
9. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He is made supervisor.
(b) He is transferred to China.
(c) He is given a more active role in World War II.
(d) He is given a desk job.
10. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
11. Where does the narrator say Hari's father gained his wealth?
(d) The United States.
12. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
(a) He is cleaning out his house.
(b) He is being interviewed for television.
(c) He is preparing for a lawsuit.
(d) He is preparing his memoir.
13. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
(a) He failed at his studies.
(b) He missed his family.
(c) He was deported.
(d) His wife was pregnant.
14. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) To avoid trouble with the government.
(b) Because of the money they have.
(c) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
(d) To act as figureheads.
15. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is more comfortable than most.
(b) It is more dangerous than most.
(c) It is less dangerous than most.
(d) It is less comfortable than most.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
3. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
4. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
5. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)