|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He wants Hari to be raised English.
(b) He disliked Hari.
(c) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
(d) He was busy working.
2. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) She was chosen for him by his family.
(b) She was his first girlfriend.
(c) He took out a personal ad.
(d) He had his best friend choose.
3. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is less comfortable than most.
(b) It is more dangerous than most.
(c) It is less dangerous than most.
(d) It is more comfortable than most.
4. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Robin White.
(b) The visitor's girlfriend.
(c) No one joins them.
5. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
(b) To protest the arrests of his friends.
(c) To run for public office.
(d) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
6. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He was physically injured during a riot.
(b) He knew who started it.
(c) He was the mastermind behind it.
(d) He did not plan it.
7. What is Reid's first impression of White?
(a) He doesn't know enough about war.
(b) He has little experience.
(c) He doesn't use logic.
(d) He thinks too much.
8. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
(a) Sister Ludmilla told him.
(b) He didn't find out until after the questioning happened.
(c) He was asked to do the questioning.
(d) Hari wrote him a letter from jail.
9. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To ask him about Hari.
(b) To discuss the war.
(c) To show him Reid's memoir.
(d) To find out where Daphne is.
10. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
11. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
(a) They assume he is an insurgent.
(b) For acting without orders.
(c) For running away from his duties.
(d) They assume he broke his rank.
12. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
13. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He has English manners and tastes.
(b) He wants to be accepted by the English.
(c) He has a lot of money to spend.
(d) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
14. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
(b) Take the visitor on a tour.
(c) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(d) Take the visitor to the theater.
15. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) Through his church.
(c) Through work.
(d) Through his school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
2. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator say Hari's father's inheritance was contingent upon?
3. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
5. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)