|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
2. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor on a tour.
(b) Take the visitor to the theater.
(c) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
(d) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(b) His aunt.
(d) The church.
5. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
(a) Like a mother and infant.
(b) Like an uncle and nephew.
(c) Like a father and child.
(d) Like a brother and sister.
6. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Robin White.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) Mr. Srinivasan.
(d) Brigadier Reid.
7. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
(a) He mails her books from every country he visits.
(b) He taught her to read and write.
(c) He sent her on vacations.
(d) He paints her portrait every five years.
8. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The chance of buying new weapons.
(b) The likelihood of unrest.
(c) The role of the United States in India.
(d) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
9. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) He was kicked out.
(b) British rule has ended.
(c) He has been sick.
(d) He can no longer afford membership.
10. How old was Hari when his father died?
11. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
(a) The Indian army.
(b) The British army.
(c) The Royal army.
(d) The United States army.
12. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To hire an outside firm.
(b) To use a strong hand.
(c) To decrease the number in the army.
(d) To spend more on weapons.
13. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
(b) He admits he only did it to travel.
(c) He is ashamed of joining.
(d) He is proud of it.
14. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He wants Hari to be raised English.
(b) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
(c) He was busy working.
(d) He disliked Hari.
15. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
(a) Military men.
(b) Aging professionals.
(c) Young businessmen.
(d) Beautiful women.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
2. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
3. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
5. Where does the narrator say Hari's father gained his wealth?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)