|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He shakes her hand, but won't speak to her.
(b) He is kind to her.
(c) He is mean to her.
(d) He ignores her.
2. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
(a) Hari wrote him a letter from jail.
(b) Sister Ludmilla told him.
(c) He didn't find out until after the questioning happened.
(d) He was asked to do the questioning.
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) He is doing research.
(b) His wife is ill.
(c) His unit is transferred.
(d) He is fired.
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
(a) Military leaders.
5. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
(a) The United States army.
(b) The Royal army.
(c) The British army.
(d) The Indian army.
6. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
7. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
8. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
(a) They assume he broke his rank.
(b) For running away from his duties.
(c) For acting without orders.
(d) They assume he is an insurgent.
9. In "An Evening at the Club," how does Lady Chatterjee feel about the removal of the British authorities?
(a) She says she can't make up her mind yet.
(b) She doesn't share her opinion.
(c) She says she is glad the British are gone.
(d) She says she misses the British influence.
10. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He knew who started it.
(b) He was physically injured during a riot.
(c) He was the mastermind behind it.
(d) He did not plan it.
11. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Robin White.
(b) A member of the Indian army.
(c) Lady Chatterjee.
(d) He went by himself.
12. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
(b) Indian independence.
(c) England's rule.
13. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
14. What does Mr. Srinivasan do when he drives past the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He asks Lady Chatterjee if she wants to stop and visit it.
(b) He drives quickly past it.
(c) He makes a small donation.
(d) He asks the visitor if he wants to see it.
15. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor to the theater.
(b) Take the visitor on a tour.
(c) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
(d) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
2. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
5. How did Hari's father die?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)