|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
(b) Military leaders.
2. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
(a) He starts his own business.
(b) A university.
(c) The government.
(d) A newspaper.
3. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
4. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
(a) A man-child.
(b) An old-style Indian.
(c) A changing Englishman.
(d) A reluctant participant.
5. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
(a) Like a brother and sister.
(b) Like an uncle and nephew.
(c) Like a father and child.
(d) Like a mother and infant.
6. Where does the narrator say Hari's father gained his wealth?
(c) The United States.
7. Why does the visitor spend time at the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He wants to photograph it.
(b) Lady Chatterjee insists.
(c) He doesn't spend any time at the temple.
(d) It has a connection to Daphne.
8. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
(a) The procurement of weapons.
(b) The hiring of employees.
(d) The use of the military.
9. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
10. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) Through work.
(b) Through his school.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) Through his church.
11. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) British rule has ended.
(b) He was kicked out.
(c) He can no longer afford membership.
(d) He has been sick.
12. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He has a lot of money to spend.
(b) He wants to be accepted by the English.
(c) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
(d) He has English manners and tastes.
13. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The likelihood of unrest.
(b) The role of the United States in India.
(c) The chance of buying new weapons.
(d) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
14. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
(a) He drinks alcohol.
(b) He paints Daphne's portrait.
(c) He writes an editorial.
(d) He joins the army.
15. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
2. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
3. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
4. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
5. When did Hari's mother die?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)