|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
(b) They are upset about the violence.
(c) They don't protest.
(d) The people think they are innocent.
2. How did Hari's father die?
(b) He committed suicide.
(d) A car accident.
3. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
(a) Military leaders.
4. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To discuss the war.
(b) To ask him about Hari.
(c) To find out where Daphne is.
(d) To show him Reid's memoir.
5. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
(b) To protest the arrests of his friends.
(c) To run for public office.
(d) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
6. In "An Evening at the Club," who arrives with the visitor at Gymkhana Club?
(a) Lady Chatterjee.
(b) Robin White.
(c) He arrives alone.
(d) Mr. Srinivasan.
7. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
8. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He did not plan it.
(b) He knew who started it.
(c) He was physically injured during a riot.
(d) He was the mastermind behind it.
9. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) His grandparents lived in India.
(b) They were broke.
(c) His father was a criminal.
(d) His mother could still be alive.
10. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He is mean to her.
(b) He shakes her hand, but won't speak to her.
(c) He is kind to her.
(d) He ignores her.
11. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
(a) He failed at his studies.
(b) His wife was pregnant.
(c) He was deported.
(d) He missed his family.
12. What is Reid's first impression of White?
(a) He has little experience.
(b) He thinks too much.
(c) He doesn't use logic.
(d) He doesn't know enough about war.
13. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
14. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) A train corporation.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A school.
(d) An electric company.
15. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) His wife is ill.
(b) His unit is transferred.
(c) He is doing research.
(d) He is fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
2. What does Menen do for a living?
3. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
4. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
5. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)