|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
(a) Military men.
(b) Beautiful women.
(c) Aging professionals.
(d) Young businessmen.
2. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
(a) He writes an editorial.
(b) He joins the army.
(c) He drinks alcohol.
(d) He paints Daphne's portrait.
3. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
(a) He starts his own business.
(b) The government.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A university.
4. How did Hari's father die?
(a) A car accident.
(b) He committed suicide.
5. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He is transferred to China.
(b) He is given a desk job.
(c) He is made supervisor.
(d) He is given a more active role in World War II.
6. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
(b) The visitor's girlfriend.
(c) Robin White.
(d) No one joins them.
7. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Lady Chatterjee.
(b) Mr. Srinivasan.
(c) Brigadier Reid.
(d) Robin White.
8. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He was the mastermind behind it.
(b) He did not plan it.
(c) He knew who started it.
(d) He was physically injured during a riot.
9. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The role of the United States in India.
(b) The chance of buying new weapons.
(c) The likelihood of unrest.
(d) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
10. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
(a) Lady Chatterjee is Indian.
(b) She doesn't ignore Lady Chatterjee.
(c) She isn't allowed to speak to her.
(d) She doesn't see her.
11. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
(a) A government building.
(b) A river.
(c) A cemetery.
(d) A wall.
12. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) His grandparents lived in India.
(b) His father was a criminal.
(c) They were broke.
(d) His mother could still be alive.
13. How does Hari feel upon first arriving in India in "Young Kumar"?
14. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) Through his school.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) Through work.
(d) Through his church.
15. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) He was kicked out.
(b) He has been sick.
(c) He can no longer afford membership.
(d) British rule has ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
2. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
3. What does Menen do for a living?
4. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
5. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)