|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is more comfortable than most.
(b) It is less comfortable than most.
(c) It is more dangerous than most.
(d) It is less dangerous than most.
2. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) To act as figureheads.
(b) Because of the money they have.
(c) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
(d) To avoid trouble with the government.
3. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
4. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
(a) He failed at his studies.
(b) He missed his family.
(c) He was deported.
(d) His wife was pregnant.
5. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(b) His aunt.
(d) The church.
6. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He wants to be accepted by the English.
(b) He has English manners and tastes.
(c) He has a lot of money to spend.
(d) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
7. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
(a) Indian independence.
(d) England's rule.
8. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) He is fired.
(b) His unit is transferred.
(c) His wife is ill.
(d) He is doing research.
9. What does Menen do for a living?
(a) He is a businessman.
(b) He is a judge.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is an army general.
10. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
11. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Robin White.
(b) The visitor's girlfriend.
(c) No one joins them.
12. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To decrease the number in the army.
(b) To use a strong hand.
(c) To hire an outside firm.
(d) To spend more on weapons.
13. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) She was chosen for him by his family.
(b) He had his best friend choose.
(c) He took out a personal ad.
(d) She was his first girlfriend.
14. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He wants Hari to be raised English.
(b) He disliked Hari.
(c) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
(d) He was busy working.
15. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He is transferred to China.
(b) He is made supervisor.
(c) He is given a desk job.
(d) He is given a more active role in World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
2. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan say he learned that Hari was going to be questioned by the police?
4. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
5. Why is Brigadier A.V. Reid sent to help with the creation of the Indian infantry division?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)