|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the visitor contact Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To ask him about Hari.
(b) To discuss the war.
(c) To find out where Daphne is.
(d) To show him Reid's memoir.
2. What does Hari do at the end of "Young Kumar"?
(a) He joins the army.
(b) He writes an editorial.
(c) He paints Daphne's portrait.
(d) He drinks alcohol.
3. How did Hari's father die?
(b) A car accident.
(d) He committed suicide.
4. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He is made supervisor.
(b) He is transferred to China.
(c) He is given a more active role in World War II.
(d) He is given a desk job.
5. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
(a) Beautiful women.
(b) Military men.
(c) Aging professionals.
(d) Young businessmen.
6. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To use a strong hand.
(b) To spend more on weapons.
(c) To hire an outside firm.
(d) To decrease the number in the army.
7. When Reid first hears of Daphne's rape, whom does he blame?
(a) The rioting groups of men.
(c) He says Daphne is lying.
(d) Hari's friends.
8. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
(a) An old-style Indian.
(b) A reluctant participant.
(c) A changing Englishman.
(d) A man-child.
9. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) They are upset about the violence.
(b) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
(c) The people think they are innocent.
(d) They don't protest.
10. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He shakes her hand, but won't speak to her.
(b) He is mean to her.
(c) He is kind to her.
(d) He ignores her.
11. When does Mr. Srinivasan say he first met Hari?
(a) When Hari was questioned by police.
(b) When Hari was a child.
(c) When Hair came to the club.
(d) When Hari met Daphne.
12. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
(a) His accent.
(b) His family's connections.
(c) His father's money.
(d) His education.
13. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) Through his church.
(c) Through his school.
(d) Through work.
14. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
15. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) An electric company.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A train corporation.
(d) A school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the rape does "An Evening at the Club" take place?
2. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
3. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
4. Who authorizes the Indian infantry division in "Civil and Military"?
5. Why is Mr. Srinivasan described as being a non-military Indian?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)