|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, how old was Hari when he was brought to England?
2. Why does Hari say he was denied the job during his first interview in "Young Kumar"?
(a) His lack of education.
(b) He spoke with an accent.
(c) His father's reputation was not good.
(d) He is Indian.
3. When does Mr. Srinivasan say he first met Hari?
(a) When Hair came to the club.
(b) When Hari was questioned by police.
(c) When Hari met Daphne.
(d) When Hari was a child.
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
(b) Indian independence.
(d) England's rule.
5. How long after the rape does "An Evening at the Club" take place?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 5 years.
6. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) British rule has ended.
(b) He was kicked out.
(c) He can no longer afford membership.
(d) He has been sick.
7. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(a) His aunt.
(d) The church.
8. What does Menen do for a living?
(a) He is a judge.
(b) He is an army general.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a businessman.
9. How did Hari's father die?
(a) He committed suicide.
(d) A car accident.
10. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
11. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
(a) His accent.
(b) His father's money.
(c) His education.
(d) His family's connections.
12. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) Through his church.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) Through his school.
(d) Through work.
13. Why does the visitor spend time at the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He wants to photograph it.
(b) Lady Chatterjee insists.
(c) He doesn't spend any time at the temple.
(d) It has a connection to Daphne.
14. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor to the theater.
(b) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
(c) Take the visitor on a tour.
(d) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
15. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
(a) They assume he is an insurgent.
(b) For running away from his duties.
(c) They assume he broke his rank.
(d) For acting without orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the British woman in "An Evening at the Club" ignore Lady Chatterjee?
2. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
4. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)