|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To use a strong hand.
(b) To hire an outside firm.
(c) To spend more on weapons.
(d) To decrease the number in the army.
2. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) An electric company.
(b) A train corporation.
(c) A school.
(d) A newspaper.
3. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
4. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Robin White.
(c) No one joins them.
(d) The visitor's girlfriend.
5. What does Menen do for a living?
(a) He is an army general.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a businessman.
(d) He is a judge.
6. In "An Evening at the Club," what is Gymkhana Club said to represent?
(b) Indian independence.
(d) England's rule.
7. What year is it when Hari sees Colin in India?
8. Why does Vidyasagar print his own pamphlet?
(a) To protest the arrests of his friends.
(b) To publicize the wrongdoings of the British.
(c) To ask the judge to let him out on bail.
(d) To run for public office.
9. In "Civil and Military," what is the first thing Reid talks to Robin White about?
(a) The chance of buying new weapons.
(b) The likelihood of unrest.
(c) How to get Indians to join the infantry.
(d) The role of the United States in India.
10. Why is Mr. Srinivasan described as being a non-military Indian?
(a) The other Indians with him are in the military.
(b) He recently left the military.
(c) He was denied entry to the military.
(d) He dresses like he is in the military.
11. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) He was kicked out.
(b) He can no longer afford membership.
(c) British rule has ended.
(d) He has been sick.
12. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is doing research.
(c) His wife is ill.
(d) His unit is transferred.
13. When does Mr. Srinivasan say he first met Hari?
(a) When Hari was a child.
(b) When Hari was questioned by police.
(c) When Hari met Daphne.
(d) When Hair came to the club.
14. How does Terry Grigson treat Lady Chatterjee when she arrives at the club in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) He shakes her hand, but won't speak to her.
(b) He is kind to her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He is mean to her.
15. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
(a) To surrender.
(b) To send secret messages.
(c) To tell people to leave.
(d) To find each other during battles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
2. Hari's father changed his last name to _________.
3. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
4. Into how many sections is "Civil and Military" divided?
5. How are the Indians who go to Gymkhana Club described?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)