|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid return to Rawalpindi?
(a) He is doing research.
(b) He is fired.
(c) His wife is ill.
(d) His unit is transferred.
2. What does Mr. Srinivasan do for a living?
3. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) His mother could still be alive.
(b) They were broke.
(c) His father was a criminal.
(d) His grandparents lived in India.
4. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) She was his first girlfriend.
(b) He took out a personal ad.
(c) He had his best friend choose.
(d) She was chosen for him by his family.
5. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
(a) It almost went broke.
(b) Few Indians were allowed in.
(c) It always closed early.
(d) Only men were allowed in.
6. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
(a) To send secret messages.
(b) To surrender.
(c) To tell people to leave.
(d) To find each other during battles.
7. When did Hari's mother die?
(a) When Hari was in grammar school.
(b) After Hair graduated from school.
(c) When Hari started high school.
(d) When Hari was an infant.
8. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) A member of the Indian army.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) Robin White.
(d) He went by himself.
9. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Robin White.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) Mr. Srinivasan.
(d) Brigadier Reid.
10. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He has English manners and tastes.
(b) He wants to be accepted by the English.
(c) He has a lot of money to spend.
(d) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
11. How does Chillianwallah Bagh compare to other Indian neighborhoods?
(a) It is more comfortable than most.
(b) It is less dangerous than most.
(c) It is more dangerous than most.
(d) It is less comfortable than most.
12. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To spend more on weapons.
(b) To decrease the number in the army.
(c) To use a strong hand.
(d) To hire an outside firm.
13. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) A train corporation.
(b) A school.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) An electric company.
14. In "An Evening at the Club," what does the visitor recognize while driving to MacGregor House?
(a) A river.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) A government building.
(d) A wall.
15. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Hari when his father died?
2. Where does Hari find his first job in India?
3. In "Civil and Military," Robin White is in control of ____________.
4. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
5. Why is Mr. Srinivasan described as being a non-military Indian?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)