|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mr. Srinivasan say he first met Hari?
(a) When Hair came to the club.
(b) When Hari was questioned by police.
(c) When Hari was a child.
(d) When Hari met Daphne.
2. In "Young Kumar," how does the narrator describe Hari's education?
3. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
(a) He is being interviewed for television.
(b) He is preparing for a lawsuit.
(c) He is preparing his memoir.
(d) He is cleaning out his house.
4. In "Young Kumar," what does the narrator claim Hari learned after his father's death?
(a) His father was a criminal.
(b) His grandparents lived in India.
(c) His mother could still be alive.
(d) They were broke.
5. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) An electric company.
(c) A school.
(d) A train corporation.
6. In "Civil and Military," how does Robin White describe Britain's relationship with India?
(a) Like an uncle and nephew.
(b) Like a father and child.
(c) Like a mother and infant.
(d) Like a brother and sister.
7. Why is Mr. Srinivasan described as being a non-military Indian?
(a) He recently left the military.
(b) He was denied entry to the military.
(c) He dresses like he is in the military.
(d) The other Indians with him are in the military.
8. How did Hari's father choose his wife?
(a) He took out a personal ad.
(b) She was his first girlfriend.
(c) She was chosen for him by his family.
(d) He had his best friend choose.
9. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
(a) He taught her to read and write.
(b) He sent her on vacations.
(c) He paints her portrait every five years.
(d) He mails her books from every country he visits.
10. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He wants the army to handle all aspects.
(b) He is out of town when it begins.
(c) He wants to avoid handing it over to the army.
(d) He almost quites his job to avoid the mess.
11. In "Young Kumar," why does the narrator say Hari's father rarely saw him as a child?
(a) He disliked Hari.
(b) He wants Hari to be raised English.
(c) Hari would learn to entertain himself.
(d) He was busy working.
12. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
(a) An old-style Indian.
(b) A reluctant participant.
(c) A man-child.
(d) A changing Englishman.
13. How old was Hari when his father died?
14. In "Young Kumar," to whom does Hari give most of his earnings?
(a) His aunt.
(d) The church.
15. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari believe he could succeed in India?
(a) His education.
(b) His family's connections.
(c) His father's money.
(d) His accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
2. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
3. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
4. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
5. How is Reid's assignment changed in "Civil and Military"?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)