|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Young Kumar," how does Colin feel about joining the army?
(a) He is ashamed of joining.
(b) He is proud of it.
(c) He admits he only did it to avoid going to jail.
(d) He admits he only did it to travel.
2. In "Civil and Military," why does Robin White say his memory of India may be poor?
(a) He has been sick.
(b) He lived it through a white man's perspective.
(c) He hasn't been there in years.
(d) He has blocked it all out.
3. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
(a) He missed his family.
(b) His wife was pregnant.
(c) He was deported.
(d) He failed at his studies.
4. What do Daphne's journal entries suggest about Kumar's role in the violence in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He was physically injured during a riot.
(b) He was the mastermind behind it.
(c) He knew who started it.
(d) He did not plan it.
5. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Mr. Srinivasan.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) Robin White.
(d) Brigadier Reid.
6. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) British rule has ended.
(b) He has been sick.
(c) He was kicked out.
(d) He can no longer afford membership.
7. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
(b) They don't protest.
(c) They are upset about the violence.
(d) The people think they are innocent.
8. What do Mr. Srinivasan and Lady Chatterjee do after finishing dinner in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Take the visitor to the theater.
(b) Return to Lady Chatterjee's house.
(c) Take the visitor on a tour.
(d) Sit in the lounge to have drinks.
9. Hari's father changed his last name to _________.
10. What does Reid first suggest to Robin White in "Civil and Military"?
(a) To decrease the number in the army.
(b) To use a strong hand.
(c) To hire an outside firm.
(d) To spend more on weapons.
11. In "Civil and Military," why does Reid gather information from his time working with the Indian infantry division?
(a) He is preparing his memoir.
(b) He is being interviewed for television.
(c) He is preparing for a lawsuit.
(d) He is cleaning out his house.
12. What makes Hari's father's relationship with Shalini special?
(a) He paints her portrait every five years.
(b) He mails her books from every country he visits.
(c) He taught her to read and write.
(d) He sent her on vacations.
13. In "Civil and Military," why does the army use banners?
(a) To tell people to leave.
(b) To surrender.
(c) To send secret messages.
(d) To find each other during battles.
14. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
(a) He is out of town when it begins.
(b) He almost quites his job to avoid the mess.
(c) He wants to avoid handing it over to the army.
(d) He wants the army to handle all aspects.
15. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) A member of the Indian army.
(b) Robin White.
(c) He went by himself.
(d) Lady Chatterjee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Chatterjee say about Gymkhana Club in the years past?
2. In "An Evening at the Club," who is Hari said to be living with in India?
3. Where is Hari's first job interview in India?
4. Who joins Mr. Srinivasan, Lady Chatterjee, and the visitor at MacGregor House in "An Evening at the Club"?
5. When did Hari's mother die?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)