|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invited Mr. Srinivasan to the club for the first time in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) Lady Chatterjee.
(b) He went by himself.
(c) A member of the Indian army.
(d) Robin White.
2. In "An Evening at the Club," why does Mr. Srinivasan say many Indian companies hire British?
(a) Because of the money they have.
(b) Because Indians struggle to run their own businesses.
(c) To avoid trouble with the government.
(d) To act as figureheads.
3. What does Reid call Menen when he first meets him?
(a) A changing Englishman.
(b) An old-style Indian.
(c) A reluctant participant.
(d) A man-child.
4. What year is it in the beginning of "Civil and Military"?
5. How does Hari know Colin Lindsey?
(a) Through his church.
(b) Through his school.
(c) Through work.
(d) They are cousins.
6. In "Young Kumar," why does Hari shop in the English part of town?
(a) He has a lot of money to spend.
(b) He doesn't shop in the English part of town.
(c) He has English manners and tastes.
(d) He wants to be accepted by the English.
7. Why did Hari's father return home from England for the first time in "Young Kumar"?
(a) His wife was pregnant.
(b) He missed his family.
(c) He was deported.
(d) He failed at his studies.
8. How long after the rape does "An Evening at the Club" take place?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 15 years.
9. Why does the visitor spend time at the temple in "An Evening at the Club"?
(a) It has a connection to Daphne.
(b) He wants to photograph it.
(c) Lady Chatterjee insists.
(d) He doesn't spend any time at the temple.
10. In "An Evening at the Club," who arrives with the visitor at Gymkhana Club?
(a) Robin White.
(b) He arrives alone.
(c) Lady Chatterjee.
(d) Mr. Srinivasan.
11. In "Civil and Military," why do people protest after Hari and his friends are arrested?
(a) The people think they are innocent.
(b) They want Hari and his friends convicted.
(c) They don't protest.
(d) They are upset about the violence.
12. Why does Robin White no longer go to Gymkhana Club?
(a) He has been sick.
(b) He was kicked out.
(c) British rule has ended.
(d) He can no longer afford membership.
13. What is Reid's first impression of White?
(a) He doesn't use logic.
(b) He thinks too much.
(c) He has little experience.
(d) He doesn't know enough about war.
14. Who gives the visitor passages from Daphne's journal?
(a) Mr. Srinivasan.
(b) Lady Chatterjee.
(c) Brigadier Reid.
(d) Robin White.
15. How does Mr. Srinivasan describe Shalini Gupta Sen in "An Evening at the Club"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Brigadier A.V. Reid sent to help with the creation of the Indian infantry division?
2. What does Menen do for a living?
3. In "An Evening at the Club," what jobs do most of the British hold in the area?
4. How does White react when chaos first breaks out in "Civil and Military"?
5. Why is Vidyasagar arrested?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)