|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "MacGregor House," how does Daphne Manners try to make friends?
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Volunteering at the hospital.
(c) Working for a lawyer.
(d) Painting in the park.
2. Why does Miss Crane stop entertaining Indian women at her home?
(a) She fought with the Indian women.
(b) The British forbade her to continue doing so.
(c) World War II started.
(d) She ran out of money.
3. Why does Miss Crane distrust Mr. Chaudhuri as a teacher?
(a) He misses a lot of work days.
(b) He is too well educated.
(c) He seems to dislike children.
(d) He is undereducated.
4. Where does Sister Ludmilla say Hari was the first time she met him?
(a) On her couch after a fight.
(b) Ill in the hospital.
(c) In the back room of a museum.
(d) Passed out near the river.
5. Sister Ludmilla says her mother always gave money to ____________.
(a) The arts.
6. In "MacGregor House," what is Daphne Manners's first letter to her family like?
(a) It gives her impression of the place.
(b) It introduces Robert.
(c) It expresses her desire to return home.
(d) It describes the neighbors.
7. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Hari often came to the Sanctuary?
(a) To visit Daphne.
(b) To thank her.
(c) To hide from police.
(d) To volutneer.
8. How does Sister Ludmilla support the Sanctuary?
(a) Money from her deceased husband.
(b) No one knows.
(c) Investments in the American stock market.
(d) Profit from her medical office.
9. Who finds Mr. Chaudhuri body after he dies?
(a) Miss Crane.
(c) His daughter.
(d) An Indian child.
10. Why does Sister Ludmilla say Merrick once told her to keep everyone on lock down at the Sanctuary?
(a) He was preparing for a flood.
(b) He had news of a bomb threat.
(c) He needed to get a head count.
(d) He was looking for someone specific.
11. In "Miss Crane," how many teachers are at the Dibrapur school?
12. What does Miss Crane do with the picture of Mahatma Gandhi?
(a) She gives it to a friend.
(b) She takes it off the wall.
(c) She hangs it in her bedroom.
(d) She burns it.
13. What does Lady Chatterjee say made her husband special?
(a) He was knighted.
(b) He spoke five languages.
(c) He died for his country.
(d) He let her make her own money.
14. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
(a) The election of a new president.
(b) A vote in Congress.
(d) A crime spree.
15. What does Sister Ludmilla say about Daphne's behavior after her rape?
(a) She became isolated.
(b) She wouldn't work with the police.
(c) She lost herself in volunteer work.
(d) She seemed to be the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Sister Ludmilla hire to protect her?
2. Where does Miss Crane teach?
3. What does Miss Crane do at the end of "Miss Crane"?
4. Who runs the "Sanctuary"?
5. Why does Miss Crane dislike Mr. Chaudhuri?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)