|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Crane use the painting "The Jewel in the Crown" to teach?
(d) Bible passages.
2. Sister Ludmilla says her mother always gave money to ____________.
(c) The arts.
3. Why does Miss Crane's servant warn her about going out?
(a) He wants to trick her.
(b) He doesn't warn her.
(c) He wants to frighten her.
(d) He wants to protect her.
4. What does the Sanctuary become after several years in operation?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A homeless shelter.
(c) A school.
(d) A temp office.
5. After Gandhi is arrested, how do the schoolchildren get home?
(a) Miss Crane pays a bus driver to take them home.
(b) They spend the night at school instead of going home.
(c) Miss Crane drives them home herself.
(d) They walk home.
6. Where did the builder of the MacGregor House gain his wealth?
(d) The United States.
7. Why does Sister Ludmilla say she didn't know Hari's name when she first met him?
(a) They spoke different languages.
(b) Her hearing was poor.
(c) He didn't have his wallet on him.
(d) He wouldn't tell her.
8. What does Lady Chatterjee say she saw when she visited Miss Crane after she was out of the hospital?
(a) Dark spots on her walls.
(b) Unread mail on the table.
(c) Holes in the floor.
(d) Broken glass near the window.
9. What does Sister Ludmilla say about Hari on the night of Daphne's rape?
(a) He was said to have been out of town.
(b) He was helping her with her wards.
(c) He didn't come to the sanctuary.
(d) He was in jail.
10. Where does Lady Chatterjee say Daphne Manners went with Hari their first time in public?
(a) A government building.
(b) A library.
(c) A temple.
(d) A cafe.
11. In the painting called "The Jewel in the Crown," what do the Indians do?
(a) Serve the queen.
(b) Yard work.
(d) Offer gifts.
12. Whom does Sister Ludmilla hire to protect her?
(a) A retired cop.
(b) A boy.
(c) An American body guard.
(d) Her brother.
13. In "MacGregor House," how does Daphne Manners try to make friends?
(a) Working for a lawyer.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Painting in the park.
(d) Volunteering at the hospital.
14. How does the Rajput class compare to others in India?
(a) It is high-ranking.
(b) It is low-ranking.
(c) It is middle-ranking.
(d) It is the lowest class.
15. How does Mr. Chaudhuri die?
(a) A car accident.
(b) He is beaten to death.
(c) A stray bullet.
(d) He poisons himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Ludmilla say about Daphne's behavior after her rape?
2. According to Sister Ludmilla, what did she call Hari when Merrick came to visit?
3. How does Sister Ludmilla support the Sanctuary?
4. Why do the police try to stop Miss Crane from driving from Kotari to Mayapore?
5. Whom does Daphne Manners tell first after Robert proposes?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)