|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Gandhi arrested in "Miss Crane"?
(a) He forms his own army.
(b) Congress votes against Britain.
(c) He votes in favor of Indians.
(d) He breaks the assembly law.
2. What does the Sanctuary become after several years in operation?
(a) A school.
(b) A temp office.
(c) An orphanage.
(d) A homeless shelter.
3. What does Sister Ludmilla do for a living?
4. How does Lady Chatterjee describe her relationship with Parvati?
(a) She says Parvati is her servant.
(b) She says Parvati is her ward.
(c) She says Parvati is her great-niece.
(d) She says Parvati is her friend.
5. What does Lady Chatterjee say made her husband special?
(a) He let her make her own money.
(b) He died for his country.
(c) He spoke five languages.
(d) He was knighted.
6. How do British people feel about Lady Chatterjee's title in "MacGregor House"?
(a) They don't care.
(b) They think it is a fake title.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They are proud.
7. Where does Sister Ludmilla say Hari was the first time she met him?
(a) In the back room of a museum.
(b) On her couch after a fight.
(c) Ill in the hospital.
(d) Passed out near the river.
8. What type of accent does Sister Ludmilla have?
9. When does Lady Chatterjee say Robert told her about his proposal to Daphne?
(a) He doesn't tell her, but Hari does.
(b) Before they learn of her rape.
(c) After they learn of her rape.
(d) He doesn't tell her, but Daphne does.
10. In "MacGregor House," why does Lady Chatterjee say several Indians were arrested?
(a) A crime spree.
(b) The election of a new president.
(c) A vote in Congress.
11. Why does Lady Chatterjee say she avoided talking about the "Sanctuary" with Robert?
(a) He didn't understand it.
(b) It was for women only.
(c) He disapproved of it.
(d) Daphne asked her to keep it secret.
12. "Miss Crane" is set in the __________.
13. What does Lady Chatterjee say she saw when she visited Miss Crane after she was out of the hospital?
(a) Holes in the floor.
(b) Unread mail on the table.
(c) Dark spots on her walls.
(d) Broken glass near the window.
14. The crowds in Dibrapur protest because of ___________.
(a) Their poverty.
(b) A takeover of public buildings.
(c) A lack of education.
15. In "Miss Crane," why does the author mention The Bibighar Gardens?
(a) It is his hometown.
(b) A crime will occur there later in the book.
(c) It is the capital city.
(d) It is where Miss Crane lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sister Ludmilla, what did she call Hari when Merrick came to visit?
2. How does Mr. Chaudhuri die?
3. What does Miss Crane use the painting "The Jewel in the Crown" to teach?
4. On the night of Daphne's rape, why does Lady Chatterjee say Robert came to her house?
5. Why does Miss Crane dislike Mr. Chaudhuri?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)