|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Constantine do that changed Christianity forever?
2. What is Frederick Buechner struck by in reading about Jesus's appearances after the resurrection?
3. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
4. What does Yancey say the epicenter of the disciples belief is?
5. How is God's kingdom different than a human kingdom, according to Yancey in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
2. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
3. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
4. What event of the Last Supper startles Yancey?
5. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
6. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
7. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
8. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
9. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
10. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is meant by "dangled promises" in terms of the Beatitudes? What are the promises?
Essay Topic 2
The book begins with a personal account of Yancey's life in Christianity.
1) What is Yancey's personal story in terms of his understanding of Jesus?
2) How does his history growing up in the church affect this book?
3) Why does he use his personal experience?
Essay Topic 3
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)