|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bombshell does Jesus drop during the last supper?
2. What did the first Christians stake everything on?
3. What do 1st century Jews and modern evangelical Christians have in common?
4. Why does Yancey like the concept of God's law?
5. What temptation has the church faced since the time of Constantine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
2. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
3. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
4. What is ironic about Jesus entering into Jerusalem on a donkey?
5. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
6. What does Yancey note about the end times?
7. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
8. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
9. Who were the first witnesses to the risen Christ?
10. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yancey see the miracles of Jesus as signs? What are they signs of and how does that function in the larger understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 2
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)