|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What temptation has the church faced since the time of Constantine?
2. What did the first Christians stake everything on?
3. How is God's kingdom different than a human kingdom, according to Yancey in Chapter 13?
4. What was torn in two when Jesus died on the cross?
5. What does Jesus ask of God in his final prayers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
2. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
3. What does Yancey note about the end times?
4. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
5. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
6. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
7. When Yancey's kitten is killed, what does he, the child, learn?
8. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
9. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
10. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
Essay Topic 2
What does Yancey want to confront the present day church with in terms of the issue of being Pharisees? What does he believe Jesus would say to the modern church about its exclusive nature?
Essay Topic 3
What are the basic characteristics of the sub-groups within the Jewish culture: Essenes, Zealots, Sadducees, and Pharisees?
Describe each and what part they played in the culture of Jesus's day.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)