|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the first Christians stake everything on?
2. Why does the leprosy patient cry when Dr. Brand greets him?
3. How are Roman citizens executed?
4. What does Yancey believe about the gospel of Jesus?
5. Who were the first witnesses to the resurrection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
2. What does Jesus leave behind?
3. What is the ultimate portrait of Jesus that Yancey comes up with?
4. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
5. What did Jesus mean by the Kingdom of God?
6. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
7. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
8. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
9. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
10. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
Essay Topic 2
What did Jesus mean by the term "my kingdom"? How does Yancey see the Kingdom of God as different from national or political entities? What does Yancey believe the kingdom of God means?
Essay Topic 3
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)