|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle is the last great "sign"?
2. In Chapter 14, why does Yancey say he is a Christian?
3. Who were the first witnesses to the resurrection?
4. What is Zacchaeus's profession?
5. Who is it that has applied the most layers of dirt and grime on Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey note about the end times?
2. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
3. What does Jesus leave behind?
4. What does Jesus's death on the cross bridge, theologically speaking?
5. What does Jesus say to Pilate when asked if he is the King of the Jews?
6. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
7. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
8. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
9. What is the ultimate portrait of Jesus that Yancey comes up with?
10. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the general historical context Jesus grew up in based on Chapter 3
1) What was the world like when Jesus walked the earth?
2) Who was in charge?
3) What was the political and religious atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major stages of the last week of Jesus based on Chapter 10.
1) Identify each stage.
2) What does each stage represent theologically for Yancey?
Essay Topic 3
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)