|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does the word "kingdom" appear in the gospel of Matthew?
2. What is Frederick Buechner struck by in reading about Jesus's appearances after the resurrection?
3. Who wrote Mere Christianity?
4. What three things does Jesus ask his disciples to do in memory of him?
5. Who is it that has applied the most layers of dirt and grime on Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
2. When Yancey's kitten is killed, what does he, the child, learn?
3. What was Jesus's first miracle?
4. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
5. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
6. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
7. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
8. What does Jesus say to Pilate when asked if he is the King of the Jews?
9. What does Yancey note about the end times?
10. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Gospels mean when they identify Jesus as the Son of God and what then is the importance of his meeting with Satan in the wilderness? Would the meaning change if Jesus were simply a rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
Essay Topic 3
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)