|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
2. What does Yancey think of what the church brings?
3. What did Jesus believe was the true power?
4. What did the first Christians stake everything on?
5. Who wrote Mere Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
2. What event of the Last Supper startles Yancey?
3. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
4. Who were the first witnesses to the risen Christ?
5. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
6. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
7. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
8. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
9. What does Jesus say to Pilate when asked if he is the King of the Jews?
10. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the general historical context Jesus grew up in based on Chapter 3
1) What was the world like when Jesus walked the earth?
2) Who was in charge?
3) What was the political and religious atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)