|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jesus's first miracle?
2. What does a Pharisee do according to Greg, in Chapter 8?
3. Who wrote the Japanese novel Silence?
4. What is Zacchaeus's profession?
5. What bombshell does Jesus drop during the last supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
2. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
3. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
4. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
5. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
6. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
7. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
8. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
9. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
10. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yancey see the miracles of Jesus as signs? What are they signs of and how does that function in the larger understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 2
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two reasons Yancey gives for Jesus investing so much in the 12 disciples? What is Jesus revealing about himself in his choice and commitment to his disciples?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)