|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
2. Yancey says that by ascending Jesus took the risk of what?
3. What does Yancey think Easter makes Jesus?
4. What does Yancey criticize about the church in Chapter 8?
5. What does Yancey say the epicenter of the disciples belief is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey note about the end times?
2. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
3. What did Jesus mean by the Kingdom of God?
4. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
5. When Yancey's kitten is killed, what does he, the child, learn?
6. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
7. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
8. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
9. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
10. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What in the Pharisee-influenced world that Jesus lived in did he stand against? Why was he so radical in terms of his own present day religious climate?
Essay Topic 2
What is meant by "dangled promises" in terms of the Beatitudes? What are the promises?
Essay Topic 3
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)