|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is God's kingdom different than a human kingdom, according to Yancey in Chapter 13?
2. How are Roman citizens executed?
3. What for Yancey does the Old Testament underscore?
4. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
5. Who wrote Mere Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
2. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
3. What was Jesus's first miracle?
4. What is ironic about Jesus entering into Jerusalem on a donkey?
5. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
6. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
7. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
8. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
9. What does Jesus say to Pilate when asked if he is the King of the Jews?
10. What is the ultimate portrait of Jesus that Yancey comes up with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major stages of the last week of Jesus based on Chapter 10.
1) Identify each stage.
2) What does each stage represent theologically for Yancey?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly describe the profile of Jesus that Yancey lays out in Chapter 2. What word associations does he choose and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)