|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Samaritians called?
2. How long is Jesus with the disciples between the Resurrection and Ascension?
3. What do the Pharisees think of Jesus?
4. What does a leper in Jesus's time have to call out?
5. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
2. What did Jesus mean by the Kingdom of God?
3. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
4. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
5. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
6. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
7. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
8. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
9. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
10. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
Essay Topic 3
What do the Gospels mean when they identify Jesus as the Son of God and what then is the importance of his meeting with Satan in the wilderness? Would the meaning change if Jesus were simply a rabbi?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)