|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frederick Buechner struck by in reading about Jesus's appearances after the resurrection?
2. What do the Pharisees think of Jesus?
3. How are Roman citizens executed?
4. When Jesus departs, where does he leave the keys to the kingdom, according to Yancey?
5. What does Yancey say is the message of Jesus's miracles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey note about the end times?
2. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
3. What was Jesus's first miracle?
4. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
5. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
6. What is ironic about Jesus entering into Jerusalem on a donkey?
7. What did Jesus mean by the Kingdom of God?
8. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
9. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
10. Who were the first witnesses to the risen Christ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Gospels mean when they identify Jesus as the Son of God and what then is the importance of his meeting with Satan in the wilderness? Would the meaning change if Jesus were simply a rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
What are the basic characteristics of the sub-groups within the Jewish culture: Essenes, Zealots, Sadducees, and Pharisees?
Describe each and what part they played in the culture of Jesus's day.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Yancey choose the title rabbi to most closely describe who the historical Jesus was? What does rabbi mean? How does Yancey describe what a rabbi is? Why is Jesus a rabbi?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)