|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christos/Christ mean in Hebrew?
2. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
3. How are Roman citizens executed?
4. When Jesus departs, where does he leave the keys to the kingdom, according to Yancey?
5. Who wrote the Japanese novel Silence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
2. What is ironic about Jesus entering into Jerusalem on a donkey?
3. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
4. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
5. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
6. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
7. Who were the first witnesses to the risen Christ?
8. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
9. What does Yancey note about the end times?
10. When Yancey's kitten is killed, what does he, the child, learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
Essay Topic 2
What are the psychological realities within the teachings of the Beatitudes? Describe them and why Yancey believes they are so profound.
Essay Topic 3
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)