|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus do at the last supper that Yancey finds surprising?
2. Who defends Jesus at his trials?
3. What is a basic reason Yancey is open to believing the Easter story?
4. What does a leper in Jesus's time have to call out?
5. What does Yancey say is the message of Jesus's miracles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
2. What does Yancey note about the end times?
3. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
4. When Yancey's kitten is killed, what does he, the child, learn?
5. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
6. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
7. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
8. What was Jesus's first miracle?
9. What does Jesus leave behind?
10. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the general historical context Jesus grew up in based on Chapter 3
1) What was the world like when Jesus walked the earth?
2) Who was in charge?
3) What was the political and religious atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
What does Yancey want to confront the present day church with in terms of the issue of being Pharisees? What does he believe Jesus would say to the modern church about its exclusive nature?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)