|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is it that has applied the most layers of dirt and grime on Jesus?
2. What for Yancey does the Old Testament underscore?
3. Why has the name Judas died out?
4. Where does Jesus leave his teaching and life's journey?
5. How long is Jesus with the disciples between the Resurrection and Ascension?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
2. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
3. When Yancey's kitten is killed, what does he, the child, learn?
4. Who were the first witnesses to the risen Christ?
5. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
6. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
7. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
8. What is ironic about Jesus entering into Jerusalem on a donkey?
9. What event of the Last Supper startles Yancey?
10. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
Essay Topic 2
What in the Pharisee-influenced world that Jesus lived in did he stand against? Why was he so radical in terms of his own present day religious climate?
Essay Topic 3
The book begins with a personal account of Yancey's life in Christianity.
1) What is Yancey's personal story in terms of his understanding of Jesus?
2) How does his history growing up in the church affect this book?
3) Why does he use his personal experience?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)