|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first witnesses to the resurrection?
2. According to Yancey, how many times does the Qur'an apply the word "love" to God?
3. What is missing from Thomas Jefferson's version of the New Testament?
4. What did the first Christians stake everything on?
5. How are Roman citizens executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesus say to Pilate when asked if he is the King of the Jews?
2. What does Yancey note about the end times?
3. What was Jesus's first miracle?
4. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
5. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
6. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
7. What does Jesus's death on the cross bridge, theologically speaking?
8. Who were the first witnesses to the risen Christ?
9. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
10. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book begins with a personal account of Yancey's life in Christianity.
1) What is Yancey's personal story in terms of his understanding of Jesus?
2) How does his history growing up in the church affect this book?
3) Why does he use his personal experience?
Essay Topic 2
What are the two reasons Yancey gives for Jesus investing so much in the 12 disciples? What is Jesus revealing about himself in his choice and commitment to his disciples?
Essay Topic 3
What do the Gospels mean when they identify Jesus as the Son of God and what then is the importance of his meeting with Satan in the wilderness? Would the meaning change if Jesus were simply a rabbi?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)