|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yancey think the church has turned Jesus into, according to Chapter 1?
2. Where did Yancey grow up?
3. How does the Lakota tribe refer to Jesus?
4. According to Yancey, why are older black people happier than older white people?
5. What does Yancey give up as a result of the Sermon on the Mount?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Beatitudes?
2. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
3. What language did Jesus speak growing up?
4. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
5. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
6. What is it that restores Jesus's humanity for Yancey?
7. What does the name of Jesus mean?
8. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
9. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
10. What does Jesus recommend as a punishment for lustful thinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Yancey want to confront the present day church with in terms of the issue of being Pharisees? What does he believe Jesus would say to the modern church about its exclusive nature?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the general historical context Jesus grew up in based on Chapter 3
1) What was the world like when Jesus walked the earth?
2) Who was in charge?
3) What was the political and religious atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two reasons Yancey gives for Jesus investing so much in the 12 disciples? What is Jesus revealing about himself in his choice and commitment to his disciples?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)