|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus refuse to do with Satan?
2. Where does Virginia Stem Owens teach?
3. How does a commentary Yancey mentions translate "Blessed are the poor in spirit"?
4. What are Owens's student's reaction to the Sermon on the Mount?
5. What type of Messiah is Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
2. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
3. What is the Temptation in the desert?
4. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
5. What does Yancey say about parallel worlds in Chapter 1?
6. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
7. What are the Beatitudes?
8. Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson?
9. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
10. What did the students at Texas A & M think of the Beatitudes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two reasons Yancey gives for Jesus investing so much in the 12 disciples? What is Jesus revealing about himself in his choice and commitment to his disciples?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly describe the profile of Jesus that Yancey lays out in Chapter 2. What word associations does he choose and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the general historical context Jesus grew up in based on Chapter 3
1) What was the world like when Jesus walked the earth?
2) Who was in charge?
3) What was the political and religious atmosphere?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)