|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does communism consider religion to be?
2. How old was Tolstoy when he wrote Resurrection?
3. How many laws do the Pharisees discover?
4. What magazine is Jimmy Carter famously interviewed about lust in?
5. Why does H. G. Wells say Jesus is important?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
2. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
3. What is the Golden Rule?
4. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
5. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
6. What experience did Yancey have that began to change his understanding of Jesus?
7. What did the students at Texas A & M think of the Beatitudes?
8. What is the Temptation in the desert?
9. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
10. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yancey see the miracles of Jesus as signs? What are they signs of and how does that function in the larger understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 2
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
Essay Topic 3
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)