|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
2. What is the physical appearance of Jesus?
3. Who invited Yancey to the White House?
4. How old is Jesus when he dies?
5. Why is Yancey drawn to Jesus, according to Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the students at Texas A & M think of the Beatitudes?
2. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
3. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
4. What is the Golden Rule?
5. Why does Yancey start Chapter 5 with a quote from Napoleon?
6. What does Jesus change about the way people worship?
7. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
8. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
9. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
10. Why does Yancey grow up not knowing any Jewish people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Yancey want to confront the present day church with in terms of the issue of being Pharisees? What does he believe Jesus would say to the modern church about its exclusive nature?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
Essay Topic 3
What is meant by "dangled promises" in terms of the Beatitudes? What are the promises?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)