|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of Messiah is Jesus?
2. What does Wim Wender makes films about?
3. How does a commentary Yancey mentions translate "Blessed are the poor in spirit"?
4. How many times is the Augustus Caesar mentioned in the Bible?
5. Who invited Yancey to the White House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
2. What is the Golden Rule?
3. What experience did Yancey have that began to change his understanding of Jesus?
4. What is it that restores Jesus's humanity for Yancey?
5. What is the Temptation in the desert?
6. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
7. What does Yancey say about parallel worlds in Chapter 1?
8. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
9. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
10. What does the name of Jesus mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What in the Pharisee-influenced world that Jesus lived in did he stand against? Why was he so radical in terms of his own present day religious climate?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, what for Yancey is the difference that Jesus makes? Using Chapter 14, trace out the primary strain of hope that Yancey so profoundly connects to in Jesus. What is Yancey's final understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 3
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)