|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jesus spend his first years?
2. Who writes So Long, Sweet Jesus?
3. In Chapter 5, what is the one word Yancey chooses to describe Jesus best?
4. How many books does Jacob Neusner write?
5. When are the Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in Qumram?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
2. What experience did Yancey have that began to change his understanding of Jesus?
3. What are the Beatitudes?
4. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
5. What does Yancey do with the extremism of Jesus?
6. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
7. What does Yancey say about parallel worlds in Chapter 1?
8. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
9. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
10. What does Jesus recommend as a punishment for lustful thinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the psychological realities within the teachings of the Beatitudes? Describe them and why Yancey believes they are so profound.
Essay Topic 2
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
Essay Topic 3
Ultimately, what for Yancey is the difference that Jesus makes? Using Chapter 14, trace out the primary strain of hope that Yancey so profoundly connects to in Jesus. What is Yancey's final understanding of who Jesus is?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)