|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yancey believe that Jews stopped following Jesus?
2. What brings Jesus to life for Yancey in Chapter 5?
3. When are the Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in Qumram?
4. How many ordinary activities do the Pharisees outlaw on the Sabbath?
5. What is General Schwarzkopf's message in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
2. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
3. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
4. Why does Yancey start Chapter 5 with a quote from Napoleon?
5. What language did Jesus speak growing up?
6. What does Jesus change about the way people worship?
7. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
8. What does Jesus recommend as a punishment for lustful thinking?
9. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
10. What is the concept from Barbara Tuchman of "no flash-forwards"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
Essay Topic 2
What are the basic characteristics of the sub-groups within the Jewish culture: Essenes, Zealots, Sadducees, and Pharisees?
Describe each and what part they played in the culture of Jesus's day.
Essay Topic 3
The book begins with a personal account of Yancey's life in Christianity.
1) What is Yancey's personal story in terms of his understanding of Jesus?
2) How does his history growing up in the church affect this book?
3) Why does he use his personal experience?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)