|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is the one word Yancey chooses to describe Jesus best?
2. How many women are mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew?
3. How old was Tolstoy when he wrote Resurrection?
4. What magazine is Jimmy Carter famously interviewed about lust in?
5. What is the ethnic background of Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jacob Neuser's primary objection to Jesus?
2. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
3. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
4. What does Yancey do with the extremism of Jesus?
5. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
6. What does Jesus change about the way people worship?
7. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
8. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
9. What is the Golden Rule?
10. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major stages of the last week of Jesus based on Chapter 10.
1) Identify each stage.
2) What does each stage represent theologically for Yancey?
Essay Topic 2
The book begins with a personal account of Yancey's life in Christianity.
1) What is Yancey's personal story in terms of his understanding of Jesus?
2) How does his history growing up in the church affect this book?
3) Why does he use his personal experience?
Essay Topic 3
Briefly describe the profile of Jesus that Yancey lays out in Chapter 2. What word associations does he choose and why?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)