|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yancey describe Jesus in Chapter 3?
2. What does Antiochus try to do to the Jews?
3. According to Yancey, why are older black people happier than older white people?
4. Why does H. G. Wells say Jesus is important?
5. According to Yancey, what is the primary emotion in most religions when one approaches God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
2. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
3. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
4. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
5. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
6. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
7. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
8. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
9. How does the gospel of Matthew open and what is the importance of that?
10. Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, what for Yancey is the difference that Jesus makes? Using Chapter 14, trace out the primary strain of hope that Yancey so profoundly connects to in Jesus. What is Yancey's final understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 3
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)