|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the German Christian Church admire in 1933?
2. According to Yancey, what kind of man was Tolstoy?
3. Why is Yancey drawn to Jesus, according to Chapter 1?
4. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
5. When does Yancey first get acquainted with Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
2. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
3. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
4. Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson?
5. Why does Yancey start Chapter 5 with a quote from Napoleon?
6. What did the students at Texas A & M think of the Beatitudes?
7. What are the Beatitudes?
8. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
9. What is it that restores Jesus's humanity for Yancey?
10. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, what for Yancey is the difference that Jesus makes? Using Chapter 14, trace out the primary strain of hope that Yancey so profoundly connects to in Jesus. What is Yancey's final understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Yancey choose the title rabbi to most closely describe who the historical Jesus was? What does rabbi mean? How does Yancey describe what a rabbi is? Why is Jesus a rabbi?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)