|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus refuse to do with Satan?
2. What does communism consider religion to be?
3. How does a commentary Yancey mentions translate "Blessed are the poor in spirit"?
4. Who are the 'Jesus freaks' referred to in Chapter 1?
5. Where does Yancey teach his film class on Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
2. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
3. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
4. What is Jacob Neuser's primary objection to Jesus?
5. How does the gospel of Matthew open and what is the importance of that?
6. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
7. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
8. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
9. What is the Temptation in the desert?
10. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the general historical context Jesus grew up in based on Chapter 3
1) What was the world like when Jesus walked the earth?
2) Who was in charge?
3) What was the political and religious atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
What in the Pharisee-influenced world that Jesus lived in did he stand against? Why was he so radical in terms of his own present day religious climate?
Essay Topic 3
The book begins with a personal account of Yancey's life in Christianity.
1) What is Yancey's personal story in terms of his understanding of Jesus?
2) How does his history growing up in the church affect this book?
3) Why does he use his personal experience?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)