Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "gospel" mean?
2. What does the Gospel of Mark say about why Jesus chose the Twelve?
3. What is the name of the former mouth piece of the Community Party?
4. What does Jesus refuse to do with Satan?
5. Who is the treasurer for Jesus's disciples?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
2. What is Jacob Neuser's primary objection to Jesus?
3. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
4. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
5. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
6. What did Jesus look like?
7. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
8. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
9. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
10. What is the ultimate portrait of Jesus that Yancey comes up with?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yancey choose the title rabbi to most closely describe who the historical Jesus was? What does rabbi mean? How does Yancey describe what a rabbi is? Why is Jesus a rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly describe the profile of Jesus that Yancey lays out in Chapter 2. What word associations does he choose and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)