|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the document by Publius Lentulus forged?
2. Who invited Yancey to the White House?
3. Why does H. G. Wells say Jesus is important?
4. How do teachers live in Jesus'sday?
5. What is the Golden Rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
2. What does Yancey say about parallel worlds in Chapter 1?
3. How does the gospel of Matthew open and what is the importance of that?
4. What language did Jesus speak growing up?
5. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
6. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
7. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
8. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
9. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
10. What is the concept from Barbara Tuchman of "no flash-forwards"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yancey see the miracles of Jesus as signs? What are they signs of and how does that function in the larger understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, what for Yancey is the difference that Jesus makes? Using Chapter 14, trace out the primary strain of hope that Yancey so profoundly connects to in Jesus. What is Yancey's final understanding of who Jesus is?
Essay Topic 3
What are the basic characteristics of the sub-groups within the Jewish culture: Essenes, Zealots, Sadducees, and Pharisees?
Describe each and what part they played in the culture of Jesus's day.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)