|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ethnic background of Jesus?
2. What does Walter Wink say about Jesus in Chapter 1?
3. Who invited Yancey to the White House?
4. Who directs the silent classic from 1927 "King of Kings"?
5. What does Yancey do for snowbound weeks in Colorado?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience did Yancey have that began to change his understanding of Jesus?
2. Why does Yancey start Chapter 5 with a quote from Napoleon?
3. What is Jacob Neuser's primary objection to Jesus?
4. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
5. Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson?
6. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
7. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
8. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
9. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
10. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Yancey choose the title rabbi to most closely describe who the historical Jesus was? What does rabbi mean? How does Yancey describe what a rabbi is? Why is Jesus a rabbi?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Yancey see the miracles of Jesus as signs? What are they signs of and how does that function in the larger understanding of who Jesus is?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)