|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes For the Time Being?
2. Where is the Sermon on the Mount in the Bible?
3. What does supersessionism mean?
4. What does Jesus refuse to do with Satan?
5. How does Albert Schweitzer interpret the Sermon on the Mount?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
2. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
3. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
4. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
5. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
6. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
7. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
8. What does Yancey note about the end times?
9. What is the ultimate portrait of Jesus that Yancey comes up with?
10. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is meant by "dangled promises" in terms of the Beatitudes? What are the promises?
Essay Topic 2
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the major stages of the last week of Jesus based on Chapter 10.
1) Identify each stage.
2) What does each stage represent theologically for Yancey?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)