|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Jesus mean?
2. Where does Yancey teach his film class on Jesus?
3. How does Yancey describe Jesus in Chapter 3?
4. Who invited Yancey to the White House?
5. What is Jesus' s first official act as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Temptation in the desert?
2. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
3. What did the students at Texas A & M think of the Beatitudes?
4. What is Jacob Neuser's primary objection to Jesus?
5. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
6. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
7. What is the concept from Barbara Tuchman of "no flash-forwards"?
8. What does Jesus change about the way people worship?
9. What is the Golden Rule?
10. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
Essay Topic 2
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
Essay Topic 3
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)