|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Yancey drawn to Jesus, according to Chapter 1?
2. Who are the 'Jesus freaks' referred to in Chapter 1?
3. What does Satan ask Jesus to turn a stone into?
4. Where did Henry Nouwen begin to work at the height of his writing career?
5. According to Yancey, what kind of man was Tolstoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jesus look like?
2. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
3. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
4. What experience did Yancey have that began to change his understanding of Jesus?
5. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
6. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
7. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
8. What are the Beatitudes?
9. What is it that restores Jesus's humanity for Yancey?
10. What does Yancey say about parallel worlds in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
Essay Topic 2
Free will is a major concept in Christianity and Yancey ties this theological concept strongly to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness.
Choose one of the following to write about.
1) How does the concept of free will fit in with the temptation of Christ in the wilderness?
2) Why would God send a helpless, suffering Messiah?
3) Why does Jesus have so little power and not accept the power Satan would offer him?
Essay Topic 3
What are the basic characteristics of the sub-groups within the Jewish culture: Essenes, Zealots, Sadducees, and Pharisees?
Describe each and what part they played in the culture of Jesus's day.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)