|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
2. What does Yancey find remarkable about Mary?
3. According to Yancy in Chapter 5, why do people like being where Jesus is?
4. How old was Tolstoy when he wrote Resurrection?
5. How many women are mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Beatitudes?
2. What language did Jesus speak growing up?
3. What experience did Yancey have that began to change his understanding of Jesus?
4. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
5. What does Yancey do with the extremism of Jesus?
6. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
7. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
8. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
9. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
10. What does Jesus change about the way people worship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Gospels mean when they identify Jesus as the Son of God and what then is the importance of his meeting with Satan in the wilderness? Would the meaning change if Jesus were simply a rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
What does Yancey want to confront the present day church with in terms of the issue of being Pharisees? What does he believe Jesus would say to the modern church about its exclusive nature?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)