|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yancey say a major problem is in looking at the historical Jesus?
2. How many women are mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew?
3. When does Joseph bring his family to Israel?
4. Where did Henry Nouwen begin to work at the height of his writing career?
5. Who are the 'Jesus freaks' referred to in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
2. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
3. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
4. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
5. Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson?
6. What does Jesus recommend as a punishment for lustful thinking?
7. What is the Temptation in the desert?
8. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
9. What does the name of Jesus mean?
10. What does Yancey say about parallel worlds in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Yancey want to confront the present day church with in terms of the issue of being Pharisees? What does he believe Jesus would say to the modern church about its exclusive nature?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important for Christians to acknowledge the Jewish roots of Jesus? What might have been different over the past 2000 years if Jesus had been identified more strongly as a Jewish rabbi?
Essay Topic 3
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)