Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "gospel" mean?
2. What does the Gospel of Mark say about why Jesus chose the Twelve?
3. What is the name of the former mouth piece of the Community Party?
4. What does Jesus refuse to do with Satan?
5. Who is the treasurer for Jesus's disciples?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
2. What is Jacob Neuser's primary objection to Jesus?
3. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
4. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
5. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
6. What did Jesus look like?
7. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
8. What is unusual about leprosy patients and their illness?
9. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
10. What is the ultimate portrait of Jesus that Yancey comes up with?
Essay Topic 1
What in the Pharisee-influenced world that Jesus lived in did he stand against? Why was he so radical in terms of his own present day religious climate?
Essay Topic 2
The book begins with a personal account of Yancey's life in Christianity.
1) What is Yancey's personal story in terms of his understanding of Jesus?
2) How does his history growing up in the church affect this book?
3) Why does he use his personal experience?
Essay Topic 3
What is the contrast that Yancey draws between the modern American depiction of Christmas and what he understands might have been the actual experience? What is the modern culture missing about who Jesus was in terms of his birth?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)