|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Karamazov write?
2. Who is in power in Palestine when Jesus is born?
3. What is the ethnic background of Jesus?
4. What does the Gospel of Mark say about why Jesus chose the Twelve?
5. What are the Zealots like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that restores Jesus's humanity for Yancey?
2. What does Jesus recommend as a punishment for lustful thinking?
3. What did the students at Texas A & M think of the Beatitudes?
4. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
5. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
6. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
7. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
8. What is the concept from Barbara Tuchman of "no flash-forwards"?
9. What does Yancey do with the extremism of Jesus?
10. What does the name of Jesus mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is meant by "dangled promises" in terms of the Beatitudes? What are the promises?
Essay Topic 2
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two reasons Yancey gives for Jesus investing so much in the 12 disciples? What is Jesus revealing about himself in his choice and commitment to his disciples?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)