|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Jesus cry in front of his disciples?
2. What does Ivan Karamazov write?
3. What brings Jesus to life for Yancey in Chapter 5?
4. How old is Jesus when he dies?
5. According to Yancy in Chapter 5, why do people like being where Jesus is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yancey start Chapter 5 with a quote from Napoleon?
2. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
3. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
4. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
5. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
6. Why does Yancey grow up not knowing any Jewish people?
7. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
8. What language did Jesus speak growing up?
9. What were the Maccabeans fighting against?
10. How does the gospel of Matthew open and what is the importance of that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Gospels mean when they identify Jesus as the Son of God and what then is the importance of his meeting with Satan in the wilderness? Would the meaning change if Jesus were simply a rabbi?
Essay Topic 2
What is Yancey's theory about why the historical figure of Jesus has been changed by various cultures and groups to represent very different images? How and why did this happen over time?
Essay Topic 3
Does Yancey believe in the Resurrection? What is his struggle? How does he overcome his doubts and fears?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)