|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Yancy in Chapter 5, why do people like being where Jesus is?
2. Where is the Sermon on the Mount in the Bible?
3. What does the Gospel of Mark say about why Jesus chose the Twelve?
4. Who writes the play "The Man Born to be King?"
5. How does Albert Schweitzer interpret the Sermon on the Mount?
Short Essay Questions
1. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
2. What is the Temptation in the desert?
3. Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson?
4. What does Henri Nouwen do that is so unusual?
5. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
6. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
7. What is the Golden Rule?
8. What did Jesus look like?
9. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
10. What does Yancey say about parallel worlds in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the general historical context Jesus grew up in based on Chapter 3
1) What was the world like when Jesus walked the earth?
2) Who was in charge?
3) What was the political and religious atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
What is meant by "dangled promises" in terms of the Beatitudes? What are the promises?
Essay Topic 3
What do the Gospels mean when they identify Jesus as the Son of God and what then is the importance of his meeting with Satan in the wilderness? Would the meaning change if Jesus were simply a rabbi?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)