|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why does Yancey say he is a Christian?
(a) He's not sure.
(b) Makes the most sense.
(c) Born into it.
(d) Jesus and no good alternatives.
2. Why does the leprosy patient cry when Dr. Brand greets him?
(a) No one had touched him in many years.
(b) It hurt when Dr. Brand shook his hand.
(c) He felt lost and alone.
(d) He was frightened.
3. What was torn in two when Jesus died on the cross?
(a) The heart of his mother.
(b) The curtain of the temple.
(c) The sky.
(d) God's spirit.
4. Why does Yancey like the concept of God's law?
(a) Love is too vague to live by.
(b) Law can be interpreted clearly.
(c) Under law, he knows where he ranks.
(d) Law is solid ground.
5. What does Yancey think of what the church brings?
(a) It is all bad.
(b) He thinks the church should be destroyed.
(c) It is all good.
(d) Both light and darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader beheads John the Baptist?
2. What is unusual about the disease of leprosy?
3. How are Roman citizens executed?
4. When Jesus departs, where does he leave the keys to the kingdom, according to Yancey?
5. What does a Pharisee do according to Greg, in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
2. What does Jesus's death on the cross bridge, theologically speaking?
3. What does Jesus leave behind?
4. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
5. What event of the Last Supper startles Yancey?
6. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
7. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
8. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
9. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
10. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)