|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yancey believe about the gospel of Jesus?
(a) The Gospels are not written by Jesus.
(b) We need new teaching that supersedes Jesus.
(c) It is not a political platform.
(d) It was temporary and no longer has meaning.
2. Who wrote the Japanese novel Silence?
(a) John Banto.
(b) Shusako Endo.
(c) Phil Yancey.
(d) Andy Bain.
3. How does Jesus command Jairus's daughter to come back to life?
(a) "She is only asleep."
(b) "Satan, get behind thee."
(c) "My child, get up!"
(d) "Rise, and be well!"
4. What does Mother Teresa try to provide for leprosy patients?
(a) An easy death.
(b) A place where they feel wanted.
(c) Drugs and x-rays.
(d) Separation from society.
5. What does Jesus say when Pilate asks him if he is the King of the Jews?
(a) "My kingdom is not of this world."
(b) "My kingdom has come, prepare to be dismissed."
(c) "With God's help, I will be."
(d) "I am, so step aside and let me rule."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus do at the last supper that Yancey finds surprising?
2. What did Martin Luther encourage his students to do?
3. In Jesus's, day what were the Jews looking for?
4. What worries Yancey about modern Christians and politicians?
5. What do 1st century Jews and modern evangelical Christians have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yancey say about how Easter affects who Jesus is for us?
2. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
3. What is ironic about Jesus entering into Jerusalem on a donkey?
4. What does Jesus say to Pilate when asked if he is the King of the Jews?
5. Why does Yancey title Chapter 11 "A Morning Beyond Belief?"
6. Who is the only named person in Jesus's parables?
7. When Yancey's kitten is killed, what does he, the child, learn?
8. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
9. What did Yancey's study of the Old Testament teach him about the word Messiah?
10. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)