|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What temptation has the church faced since the time of Constantine?
(a) Having too much money.
(b) Being the morals police of society.
(c) Supporting unjust regimes.
(d) Being too much a part of the mainstream powers.
2. What leader beheads John the Baptist?
(c) Pontius PIlate.
(d) Julius Caesar.
3. What did the 1st century Zealots want to do?
(a) Fight the Romans.
(b) Take over the religious life of the Jews.
(c) Leave and start a new country in Africa.
(d) Ascend into heaven.
4. What does Jesus say when Pilate asks him if he is the King of the Jews?
(a) "My kingdom has come, prepare to be dismissed."
(b) "I am, so step aside and let me rule."
(c) "My kingdom is not of this world."
(d) "With God's help, I will be."
5. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
(a) Gospel of Matthew.
(b) Mission: Impossible.
(c) Peter's letter to the Epistles.
(d) The Merchant of Venice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle makes it into all four gospels?
2. How many times does the word "kingdom" appear in the gospel of Matthew?
3. Who defends Jesus at his trials?
4. What is the feeling of the resurrection stories in the Bible?
5. What does Yancey criticize about the church in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
2. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
3. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
4. What did the Pharisees of Jesus's day think of him?
5. What did the Zealots want to do in the 1st century?
6. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
7. What does Jesus leave behind?
8. Why is the day of crucifixion called "Good Friday"?
9. What does Yancey notice about the last parables that Jesus tells?
10. Who betrays Jesus to the Jewish and Roman authorities?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)