|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yancey criticize about the church in Chapter 8?
(a) Not enough pressure to give money.
(b) Too much emphasis on prayer.
(c) Church attracts only respectable types.
(d) Church is full of disreputable people.
2. How often is the Most Holy Place entered by the High Priest?
(a) Each Sabbath at sunset.
(b) Every morning at 6.
(c) One day a year.
3. What is the Ascension?
(a) Virgin Mary comes down to earth and gets her son.
(b) The long spiritual climb to perfection.
(c) Jesus returning to heaven in a mystical way.
(d) The disciples are filled with the Holy Spirit.
4. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
(a) Evangelical fervor.
(b) Racism, intolerance, and petty legalism.
(c) Modern music and loose morals.
(d) American politics.
5. What does Yancey think of what the church brings?
(a) It is all good.
(b) Both light and darkness.
(c) He thinks the church should be destroyed.
(d) It is all bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
2. Where does Jesus leave his teaching and life's journey?
3. What does Yancey say about human preoccupation with the "end times"?
4. Who were the first witnesses to the resurrection?
5. What does Yancey say is the message of Jesus's miracles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Yancey think Jesus wanted to leave?
2. Why was Jesus's attitude towards women so revolutionary?
3. What is the one miracle that is in all four biblical gospels?
4. What does Jesus say about the woman who comes into the respectable house of Simon and wipes Jesus's feet with her hair?
5. What does Yancey reveal in Chapter 11 about why he believes in the resurrection?
6. What does Yancey note about the end times?
7. What does Jesus leave behind?
8. What did Mother Teresa say about what she tried to provide for the ill?
9. What does Jesus's death on the cross bridge, theologically speaking?
10. What is the significance of the grandmother's tombstone, which says, "Waiting"?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)