|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yancey describe Jesus in Chapter 3?
(a) Perfect image of a Christian man.
(b) A tall blonde man with blue eyes.
(c) First century Jew with a phylactery on his wrist.
(d) Almost modern and American in appearance.
2. Why is Yancey drawn to Jesus, according to Chapter 1?
(a) Jesus is the dividing point of Yancey's life.
(b) Jesus's teaching is so complicated.
(c) Yancey can't say why.
(d) It is God's will.
3. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
(b) 500 million.
(c) 8 million.
4. Who are the 'Jesus freaks' referred to in Chapter 1?
(a) Middle class white collar workers.
(b) Mentally ill patients.
(c) Roman Catholic nuns.
(d) Unkempt, disheveled radicals.
5. What typifies the Sadducees?
(a) Large gregarious families with many parties and celebrations.
(b) Physically active, liked games and sports.
(c) Collaborated with Greeks and Romans.
(d) Sad and lonely people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does H. G. Wells say Jesus is important?
2. Who invited Yancey to the White House?
3. How does the Lakota tribe refer to Jesus?
4. What does Yancey think the church has turned Jesus into, according to Chapter 1?
5. What does Satan ask Jesus to turn a stone into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yancey grow up not knowing any Jewish people?
2. What is Yancey's purpose in writing The Jesus I Thought I Knew?
3. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
4. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
5. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
6. Why does Yancey start Chapter 5 with a quote from Napoleon?
7. Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson?
8. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
9. What is Jacob Neuser's primary objection to Jesus?
10. What is Yancey's interpretation of why God decided not to come in clouds of glory and fix everything?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)