|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are killed in the earthquake of 31 B.C. in Palestine?
(b) 2 million.
2. According to Yancey, what kind of man was Tolstoy?
(a) The best father ever.
(b) A great friend, husband, and sweetheart to all.
(c) A deeply unhappy man.
(d) Simply a bundle of joy and hope.
3. What does supersessionism mean?
(a) There is no way to suppress Christianity.
(b) Suppression of religion is good.
(c) Super religion suppresses other lesser religion.
(d) Some religions grow out of and supersede others.
4. Who fights against Antiochus?
5. What does Yancey find remarkable about Mary?
(a) Too young to have children.
(b) Accepted Jesus on his own terms, regardless of the cost.
(c) Jewish and not well born.
(d) Managed to have a baby on her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings Jesus to life for Yancey in Chapter 5?
2. What does Yancey think the church has turned Jesus into, according to Chapter 1?
3. Why does H. G. Wells say Jesus is important?
4. Where does Jesus spend his first years?
5. What television figure does Yancy compare his early understanding of Jesus to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that restores Jesus's humanity for Yancey?
2. How does the gospel of Matthew open and what is the importance of that?
3. What does Yancey discover as he begins to study the Jesus of the Gospels?
4. What does Yancey object to in sentimental Christmas card portrayals of Jesus?
5. What is the one word label Yancey would bestow upon Jesus?
6. What does Jesus change about the way people worship?
7. Why does Yancey grow up not knowing any Jewish people?
8. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
9. What does Yancey say the Communist party had trouble with?
10. What did the students at Texas A & M think of the Beatitudes?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)