|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Albert Schweitzer interpret the Sermon on the Mount?
(a) Interim demands for unusual times.
(b) Fanciful thoughts of an innocent man.
(c) Misquotes and mistaken translations.
(d) Guidelines that are not practical.
2. Who fights against Antiochus?
3. What language does Jesus speak on a daily basis?
4. What typifies the Sadducees?
(a) Collaborated with Greeks and Romans.
(b) Large gregarious families with many parties and celebrations.
(c) Physically active, liked games and sports.
(d) Sad and lonely people.
5. How does a commentary Yancey mentions translate "Blessed are the poor in spirit"?
(a) The poor have less spirit.
(b) Blessed are the desperate.
(c) Blessed are the spiritless.
(d) Blessings come from poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes For the Time Being?
2. Where did Henry Nouwen begin to work at the height of his writing career?
3. What brings Jesus to life for Yancey in Chapter 5?
4. What does Yancey give up as a result of the Sermon on the Mount?
5. What does Yancey say a major problem is in looking at the historical Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that restores Jesus's humanity for Yancey?
2. What experience did Yancey have that began to change his understanding of Jesus?
3. Why does Yancey grow up not knowing any Jewish people?
4. What may Satan have taken away from the confrontation with Jesus in the wilderness?
5. Why does Yancey find the Beatitudes so difficult?
6. Where did Philip Yancey first become acquainted with the stories of Jesus?
7. What is the Golden Rule?
8. What does Yancey say is the true meaning of Christmas?
9. What are the three levels of the Beatitudes in Chapter 6?
10. What does the name of Jesus mean?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)