|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jesus command Jairus's daughter to come back to life?
(a) "My child, get up!"
(b) "Satan, get behind thee."
(c) "She is only asleep."
(d) "Rise, and be well!"
2. Why has the name Judas died out?
(a) Reminds people of money lending.
(b) Sounds like a girl's name.
(c) Too close to "Jesus."
(d) He was a notorious traitor.
3. In Chapter 14, why does Yancey say he is a Christian?
(a) Born into it.
(b) Jesus and no good alternatives.
(c) He's not sure.
(d) Makes the most sense.
4. What is Frederick Buechner struck by in reading about Jesus's appearances after the resurrection?
(a) Very few people saw him.
(b) Unglamorous quality of it.
(c) Many people saw him.
(d) Both men and women saw him.
5. Who writes the poem that opens Chapter 12?
(a) Robert Byrns.
(b) King David.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
6. What did Martin Luther encourage his students to do?
(a) Travel until they felt very lost.
(b) Turn the page when they got stuck.
(c) Become Buddhist and then convert back.
(d) Flee the hidden God and run to Christ.
7. What do Peter and Judas have in common?
(a) They were both very old.
(b) They both betrayed Jesus.
(c) Related by blood, cousins.
(d) They had nothing in common.
8. How many times does the word "kingdom" appear in the gospel of Matthew?
9. What miracle makes it into all four gospels?
(a) Healing the blind man.
(b) Healing Jaipur's daughter.
(c) Feeding the crowd of 5000.
(d) Raising Lazarus.
10. In Jesus's, day what were the Jews looking for?
(a) Scientific knowledge.
(b) The end time and a Messiah to save them.
(c) Biblical narrative.
(d) Military might.
11. What is unusual about the disease of leprosy?
(a) Leprosy only occurs in hot climates.
(b) Lepers lose the ability to sing.
(c) A leper feels no physical pain.
(d) There is no cause.
12. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
(a) "Fear not, the Lord is with you."
(b) "Why do you stand here looking into the sky?"
(c) "He is not here. He has risen."
(d) "Hail, full of Grace, be at peace."
13. What does "Deus Absconditus" mean?
(a) Where is God now?
(b) God Absolutely.
(c) Deity Neigh.
(d) Absence of Deus.
14. What does Jesus do at the last supper that Yancey finds surprising?
(a) Washes his disciples' feet.
(b) Gives a speech.
(c) Paints a picture of heaven.
(d) Sits with Mary.
15. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
(a) Mission: Impossible.
(b) The Merchant of Venice.
(c) Peter's letter to the Epistles.
(d) Gospel of Matthew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Pharisee do according to Greg, in Chapter 8?
2. What is Zacchaeus's profession?
3. What changes politically with the death of Jesus?
4. Where does Jesus pray for hours before he is arrested?
5. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)