|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yancey's father die of?
2. What does Yancey criticize about the church in Chapter 8?
(a) Too much emphasis on prayer.
(b) Church is full of disreputable people.
(c) Church attracts only respectable types.
(d) Not enough pressure to give money.
3. What bombshell does Jesus drop during the last supper?
(a) There is no God.
(b) Silence must be kept.
(c) He has run out of money.
(d) That one of the disciples will betray him.
4. How do the New Testament Jews refer to God?
(c) Great God Almighty.
5. What is a basic reason Yancey is open to believing the Easter story?
(a) Most people do believe it.
(b) He wants it to be true.
(c) It has lasted 2000 years.
(d) It is based in proven fact.
6. What did Jesus believe was the true power?
(b) Holy Spirit.
(c) God's thunderbolts.
7. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
(a) "Hail, full of Grace, be at peace."
(b) "Why do you stand here looking into the sky?"
(c) "He is not here. He has risen."
(d) "Fear not, the Lord is with you."
8. Why does Yancey like the concept of God's law?
(a) Law can be interpreted clearly.
(b) Law is solid ground.
(c) Under law, he knows where he ranks.
(d) Love is too vague to live by.
9. Why does Zacchaeus climb the tree?
(a) Wants more attention for himself.
(b) He is too short to see Jesus.
(c) To get away from Jesus and the crowd.
(d) To drop things on people's heads.
10. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
(a) Gospel of Matthew.
(b) The Merchant of Venice.
(c) Mission: Impossible.
(d) Peter's letter to the Epistles.
11. Who killed the kitten?
(c) Wild foxes.
(d) Pugs, the Boston Terrier.
12. What was torn in two when Jesus died on the cross?
(a) The heart of his mother.
(b) God's spirit.
(c) The curtain of the temple.
(d) The sky.
13. What miracle is the last great "sign"?
(b) Raising Lazarus.
(c) Holy Spirit.
14. What is the feeling of the resurrection stories in the Bible?
(c) Sense of revenge against Romans.
(d) Just what everyone expected.
15. Why does the leprosy patient cry when Dr. Brand greets him?
(a) It hurt when Dr. Brand shook his hand.
(b) He was frightened.
(c) He felt lost and alone.
(d) No one had touched him in many years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the Japanese novel Silence?
2. What is unusual about the disease of leprosy?
3. What does Jesus ask of God in his final prayers?
4. What does the priest give out to everyone at the Greek Orthodox Easter service?
5. What does Dr. Paul Brand specialize in?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)