|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
(a) "Why do you stand here looking into the sky?"
(b) "He is not here. He has risen."
(c) "Fear not, the Lord is with you."
(d) "Hail, full of Grace, be at peace."
2. What does Yancey learn from the kitten's death?
(a) We are all fragile.
(b) There aren't always answers.
(c) Death is irreversible.
(d) Life isn't fair.
3. What is Frederick Buechner struck by in reading about Jesus's appearances after the resurrection?
(a) Both men and women saw him.
(b) Very few people saw him.
(c) Many people saw him.
(d) Unglamorous quality of it.
4. What is a basic reason Yancey is open to believing the Easter story?
(a) It is based in proven fact.
(b) It has lasted 2000 years.
(c) He wants it to be true.
(d) Most people do believe it.
5. How often is the Most Holy Place entered by the High Priest?
(a) One day a year.
(c) Each Sabbath at sunset.
(d) Every morning at 6.
6. How many times does the word "kingdom" appear in the gospel of Matthew?
7. What does "Deus Absconditus" mean?
(a) God Absolutely.
(b) Deity Neigh.
(c) Where is God now?
(d) Absence of Deus.
8. What do Peter and Judas have in common?
(a) They were both very old.
(b) They both betrayed Jesus.
(c) They had nothing in common.
(d) Related by blood, cousins.
9. What does Yancey believe about the gospel of Jesus?
(a) It was temporary and no longer has meaning.
(b) The Gospels are not written by Jesus.
(c) We need new teaching that supersedes Jesus.
(d) It is not a political platform.
10. What did the 1st century Zealots want to do?
(a) Ascend into heaven.
(b) Leave and start a new country in Africa.
(c) Take over the religious life of the Jews.
(d) Fight the Romans.
11. What does Yancey's father die of?
12. Why has the name Judas died out?
(a) Reminds people of money lending.
(b) Sounds like a girl's name.
(c) Too close to "Jesus."
(d) He was a notorious traitor.
13. What do the Pharisees think of Jesus?
(a) Deeply intellectual.
(c) True leader.
14. What is Zacchaeus's profession?
(c) Tax collector.
15. How does Jesus command Jairus's daughter to come back to life?
(a) "Satan, get behind thee."
(b) "She is only asleep."
(c) "Rise, and be well!"
(d) "My child, get up!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yancey criticize about the church in Chapter 8?
2. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
3. What did Constantine do that changed Christianity forever?
4. What does Christos/Christ mean in Hebrew?
5. Where does Jesus leave his teaching and life's journey?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)