|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Ascension?
(a) The long spiritual climb to perfection.
(b) The disciples are filled with the Holy Spirit.
(c) Jesus returning to heaven in a mystical way.
(d) Virgin Mary comes down to earth and gets her son.
2. When Jesus departs, where does he leave the keys to the kingdom, according to Yancey?
(a) He gives it to Peter.
(b) He doesn't leave any keys.
(c) In our fumbling hands.
(d) To his mother Mary.
3. What does Yancey think Easter makes Jesus?
(d) More intelligent.
4. Who killed the kitten?
(b) Pugs, the Boston Terrier.
(c) Wild foxes.
5. Why does Yancey like the concept of God's law?
(a) Law is solid ground.
(b) Love is too vague to live by.
(c) Under law, he knows where he ranks.
(d) Law can be interpreted clearly.
6. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
(a) Modern music and loose morals.
(b) Evangelical fervor.
(c) Racism, intolerance, and petty legalism.
(d) American politics.
7. What is missing from Thomas Jefferson's version of the New Testament?
8. What for Yancey does the Old Testament underscore?
(a) God is angry with humanity.
(b) Poetry is the only way to describe God.
(c) The vast gulf between God and humanity.
(d) People are angry with God.
9. How often is the Most Holy Place entered by the High Priest?
(b) Each Sabbath at sunset.
(c) One day a year.
(d) Every morning at 6.
10. What does Yancey say the epicenter of the disciples belief is?
(a) Jesus's birth.
(b) Miracles of healing.
(c) Jesus's teaching.
11. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
(a) "Why do you stand here looking into the sky?"
(b) "He is not here. He has risen."
(c) "Hail, full of Grace, be at peace."
(d) "Fear not, the Lord is with you."
12. What miracle is the last great "sign"?
(a) Holy Spirit.
(d) Raising Lazarus.
13. How do the New Testament Jews refer to God?
(a) Great God Almighty.
14. What does Jesus ask of God in his final prayers?
(a) Take this cup from me.
(b) Kill Pontius Pilate so I won't be hurt.
(c) Lift me immediately to heaven.
(d) Give me the power to vanquish Herod.
15. What does Yancey say is the message of Jesus's miracles?
(a) Early glimpses of what is to come.
(b) Miracles happen randomly.
(c) Only God can heal.
(d) Jesus is God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes politically with the death of Jesus?
2. What do 1st century Jews and modern evangelical Christians have in common?
3. What does Jesus do at the last supper that Yancey finds surprising?
4. What does "Deus Absconditus" mean?
5. What do the Pharisees think of Jesus?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)