|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do modern Christians call the final week of Jesus?
(a) Holy Week.
(b) End Game.
(c) Walk to the cross.
2. What does Yancey think of what the church brings?
(a) It is all bad.
(b) It is all good.
(c) He thinks the church should be destroyed.
(d) Both light and darkness.
3. What did the first Christians stake everything on?
(a) The Resurrection.
(b) Paul's theology.
(c) A new religion.
(d) Nothing, they were utterly lost.
4. How does Jesus command Jairus's daughter to come back to life?
(a) "Rise, and be well!"
(b) "She is only asleep."
(c) "Satan, get behind thee."
(d) "My child, get up!"
5. What miracle is the last great "sign"?
(a) Raising Lazarus.
(c) Holy Spirit.
6. What does the priest give out to everyone at the Greek Orthodox Easter service?
(a) An empty cross.
(b) Memorial coins.
(c) Greek Bibles.
(d) Three eggs.
7. What does Yancey learn from the kitten's death?
(a) Death is irreversible.
(b) We are all fragile.
(c) Life isn't fair.
(d) There aren't always answers.
8. Who killed the kitten?
(a) Pugs, the Boston Terrier.
(b) Wild foxes.
9. How are Roman citizens executed?
(a) Shot through the heart.
10. What does Jesus say when Pilate asks him if he is the King of the Jews?
(a) "I am, so step aside and let me rule."
(b) "With God's help, I will be."
(c) "My kingdom is not of this world."
(d) "My kingdom has come, prepare to be dismissed."
11. What does Yancey say about human preoccupation with the "end times"?
(a) The disciples were the last to think about the end times.
(b) Many ages and eras have believed the end was near.
(c) Now is the only time the concept of end times has appeared.
(d) Jesus never promises an end time.
12. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
(a) Gospel of Matthew.
(b) Peter's letter to the Epistles.
(c) Mission: Impossible.
(d) The Merchant of Venice.
13. What word is on the grandmother's tombstone under the live oak tree?
14. What is a basic reason Yancey is open to believing the Easter story?
(a) It has lasted 2000 years.
(b) It is based in proven fact.
(c) Most people do believe it.
(d) He wants it to be true.
15. What does Mother Teresa try to provide for leprosy patients?
(a) An easy death.
(b) Separation from society.
(c) A place where they feel wanted.
(d) Drugs and x-rays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jesus pray for hours before he is arrested?
2. What did Martin Luther encourage his students to do?
3. What is Frederick Buechner struck by in reading about Jesus's appearances after the resurrection?
4. What was torn in two when Jesus died on the cross?
5. When Jesus departs, where does he leave the keys to the kingdom, according to Yancey?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)