|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who defends Jesus at his trials?
(a) No one.
(b) Paul, Silas, and Peter.
(c) A large group of Pharisees.
(d) Judas and Herod.
2. What does Christos/Christ mean in Hebrew?
(c) Son of Man.
(d) Son of God.
3. Who writes the poem that opens Chapter 12?
(a) Robert Byrns.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) King David.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
4. What was Jesus's first miracle?
(a) Turning water into wine.
(c) Raising Lazarus from the dead.
(d) Feeding of the 5000.
5. What does Yancey say about human preoccupation with the "end times"?
(a) Jesus never promises an end time.
(b) Now is the only time the concept of end times has appeared.
(c) The disciples were the last to think about the end times.
(d) Many ages and eras have believed the end was near.
6. What is the name of Yancey's kitten that died?
7. Who is it that has applied the most layers of dirt and grime on Jesus?
(a) The church.
8. Why does Yancey like the concept of God's law?
(a) Love is too vague to live by.
(b) Under law, he knows where he ranks.
(c) Law is solid ground.
(d) Law can be interpreted clearly.
9. What bombshell does Jesus drop during the last supper?
(a) That one of the disciples will betray him.
(b) Silence must be kept.
(c) He has run out of money.
(d) There is no God.
10. Where does Jesus leave his teaching and life's journey?
(a) In song and verse.
(b) In a book that is now lost.
(c) In human beings.
(d) On many stone tablets found in caves in 1947.
11. Why does the leprosy patient cry when Dr. Brand greets him?
(a) No one had touched him in many years.
(b) He was frightened.
(c) He felt lost and alone.
(d) It hurt when Dr. Brand shook his hand.
12. What is a basic reason Yancey is open to believing the Easter story?
(a) Most people do believe it.
(b) He wants it to be true.
(c) It is based in proven fact.
(d) It has lasted 2000 years.
13. What for Yancey does the Old Testament underscore?
(a) People are angry with God.
(b) The vast gulf between God and humanity.
(c) Poetry is the only way to describe God.
(d) God is angry with humanity.
14. What is Zacchaeus's profession?
(a) Tax collector.
15. How are Roman citizens executed?
(d) Shot through the heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus do at the last supper that Yancey finds surprising?
2. After Jesus feeds the crowd of 5000, what is his next miracle?
3. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
4. What are Samaritians called?
5. What does a leper in Jesus's time have to call out?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)