|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Jesus call himself a Messiah?
(a) We don't know.
(b) There are strongly divided opinions about this.
2. Who killed the kitten?
(a) Wild foxes.
(d) Pugs, the Boston Terrier.
3. What do Peter and Judas have in common?
(a) They were both very old.
(b) They had nothing in common.
(c) They both betrayed Jesus.
(d) Related by blood, cousins.
4. Who writes the poem that opens Chapter 12?
(a) Robert Byrns.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) King David.
(d) Robert Frost.
5. What did Constantine do that changed Christianity forever?
(a) Wrote a treatise on why Christ matters.
(b) Made Sunday the Sabbath.
(c) Forced Europeans to accept Christ.
(d) Legalized it and made it a state subsidized religion.
6. Why does Yancey like the concept of God's law?
(a) Under law, he knows where he ranks.
(b) Law can be interpreted clearly.
(c) Love is too vague to live by.
(d) Law is solid ground.
7. Who wrote Mere Christianity?
(a) Phil Quincy.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) Pope Pious IV.
(d) John Edwards.
8. Who defends Jesus at his trials?
(a) Paul, Silas, and Peter.
(b) No one.
(c) A large group of Pharisees.
(d) Judas and Herod.
9. According to Yancey, how many times does the Qur'an apply the word "love" to God?
(b) Endless times.
10. Where was George Buttrick serving as chaplain?
(a) White House.
(b) Leper colony.
(c) U.S. Army.
11. What does Christos/Christ mean in Hebrew?
(a) Son of Man.
(c) Son of God.
12. What does Yancey criticize about the church in Chapter 8?
(a) Church attracts only respectable types.
(b) Not enough pressure to give money.
(c) Church is full of disreputable people.
(d) Too much emphasis on prayer.
13. What does the priest give out to everyone at the Greek Orthodox Easter service?
(a) Three eggs.
(b) Memorial coins.
(c) Greek Bibles.
(d) An empty cross.
14. When Jesus departs, where does he leave the keys to the kingdom, according to Yancey?
(a) He doesn't leave any keys.
(b) He gives it to Peter.
(c) To his mother Mary.
(d) In our fumbling hands.
15. What is the Ascension?
(a) The long spiritual climb to perfection.
(b) Virgin Mary comes down to earth and gets her son.
(c) Jesus returning to heaven in a mystical way.
(d) The disciples are filled with the Holy Spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is it that has applied the most layers of dirt and grime on Jesus?
2. What is Zacchaeus's profession?
3. What leader beheads John the Baptist?
4. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
5. What did Martin Luther encourage his students to do?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)