|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a leper in Jesus's time have to call out?
(c) "Make way!"
2. What worries Yancey about modern Christians and politicians?
(a) Christians should run for office more often.
(b) Christians are courted by savvy politicians.
(c) Politicians don't realize how powerful Christians are.
(d) Everyone should be voting for Christian politicians.
3. What is missing from Thomas Jefferson's version of the New Testament?
4. How long is Jesus with the disciples between the Resurrection and Ascension?
(a) Three days.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) Six weeks.
5. What does Christos/Christ mean in Hebrew?
(b) Son of Man.
(d) Son of God.
6. What do 1st century Jews and modern evangelical Christians have in common?
(a) They have nothing in common.
(b) Same determination to be right.
(c) Used the scriptures as a guide.
(d) Both want a conquering hero as Messiah.
7. According to Yancey, how many times does the Qur'an apply the word "love" to God?
(a) Endless times.
8. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
(a) "Hail, full of Grace, be at peace."
(b) "Fear not, the Lord is with you."
(c) "He is not here. He has risen."
(d) "Why do you stand here looking into the sky?"
9. How do the New Testament Jews refer to God?
(d) Great God Almighty.
10. What did Martin Luther encourage his students to do?
(a) Become Buddhist and then convert back.
(b) Turn the page when they got stuck.
(c) Flee the hidden God and run to Christ.
(d) Travel until they felt very lost.
11. What do modern Christians call the final week of Jesus?
(b) End Game.
(c) Walk to the cross.
(d) Holy Week.
12. Who wrote the Japanese novel Silence?
(a) John Banto.
(b) Andy Bain.
(c) Shusako Endo.
(d) Phil Yancey.
13. What word is on the grandmother's tombstone under the live oak tree?
14. Where was George Buttrick serving as chaplain?
(a) Leper colony.
(b) U.S. Army.
(c) White House.
15. Where does Jesus leave his teaching and life's journey?
(a) In song and verse.
(b) In human beings.
(c) On many stone tablets found in caves in 1947.
(d) In a book that is now lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Deus Absconditus" mean?
2. What does Yancey's father die of?
3. How many times does the word "kingdom" appear in the gospel of Matthew?
4. Why does Yancey like the concept of God's law?
5. What did Constantine do that changed Christianity forever?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)