|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who defends Jesus at his trials?
(a) Paul, Silas, and Peter.
(b) No one.
(c) A large group of Pharisees.
(d) Judas and Herod.
2. Who writes the poem that opens Chapter 12?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) King David.
(d) Robert Byrns.
3. What is missing from Thomas Jefferson's version of the New Testament?
4. What does Surgeon General Koop say the new leprosy is?
(a) Mental illness.
(d) Toxic elements.
5. What are Samaritians called?
(c) Kind people.
6. What does "Deus Absconditus" mean?
(a) Where is God now?
(b) God Absolutely.
(c) Deity Neigh.
(d) Absence of Deus.
7. What do the Pharisees think of Jesus?
(a) Deeply intellectual.
(b) True leader.
8. What is unusual about the disease of leprosy?
(a) Lepers lose the ability to sing.
(b) There is no cause.
(c) Leprosy only occurs in hot climates.
(d) A leper feels no physical pain.
9. What do modern Christians call the final week of Jesus?
(a) Walk to the cross.
(b) End Game.
(d) Holy Week.
10. What does a Pharisee do according to Greg, in Chapter 8?
(a) Ruins heaven.
(b) Follows God's law.
(c) Looks down on other people.
(d) Makes up rules.
11. What does the Bible say about why Judas betrayed Jesus?
(a) He wanted money.
(b) Satan entered him.
(c) He wanted to be Jesus.
(d) Jealousy was in him.
12. Who wrote the Japanese novel Silence?
(a) John Banto.
(b) Andy Bain.
(c) Shusako Endo.
(d) Phil Yancey.
13. What three things does Jesus ask his disciples to do in memory of him?
(a) Read Bible, memorize verses, obey law.
(b) Baptize, share last supper, wash feet.
(c) Pray, sing, write.
(d) Do no harm, do not sin, and do not lie.
14. What for Yancey does the Old Testament underscore?
(a) People are angry with God.
(b) The vast gulf between God and humanity.
(c) Poetry is the only way to describe God.
(d) God is angry with humanity.
15. What is Frederick Buechner struck by in reading about Jesus's appearances after the resurrection?
(a) Many people saw him.
(b) Both men and women saw him.
(c) Very few people saw him.
(d) Unglamorous quality of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yancey's father die of?
2. What does Mother Teresa try to provide for leprosy patients?
3. What temptation has the church faced since the time of Constantine?
4. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
5. How often is the Most Holy Place entered by the High Priest?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)