|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the angels say to the disciples on the day of Ascension?
(a) "Why do you stand here looking into the sky?"
(b) "Fear not, the Lord is with you."
(c) "He is not here. He has risen."
(d) "Hail, full of Grace, be at peace."
2. What miracle makes it into all four gospels?
(a) Feeding the crowd of 5000.
(b) Raising Lazarus.
(c) Healing the blind man.
(d) Healing Jaipur's daughter.
3. What did the first Christians stake everything on?
(a) The Resurrection.
(b) Paul's theology.
(c) Nothing, they were utterly lost.
(d) A new religion.
4. What is Zacchaeus's profession?
(d) Tax collector.
5. What changes politically with the death of Jesus?
(b) The Roman Empire falls very quickly.
(c) Herod the Great is murdered.
(d) Jews begin to rule again in Palestine.
6. According to Yancey, how many times does the Qur'an apply the word "love" to God?
(c) Endless times.
7. Where is the opening quote of Chapter 8 from?
(a) The Merchant of Venice.
(b) Peter's letter to the Epistles.
(c) Gospel of Matthew.
(d) Mission: Impossible.
8. For Yancey, what was Jesus obscured by in the churches he grew up in?
(a) Modern music and loose morals.
(b) American politics.
(c) Racism, intolerance, and petty legalism.
(d) Evangelical fervor.
9. When Jesus departs, where does he leave the keys to the kingdom, according to Yancey?
(a) In our fumbling hands.
(b) To his mother Mary.
(c) He doesn't leave any keys.
(d) He gives it to Peter.
10. What does "Deus Absconditus" mean?
(a) Deity Neigh.
(b) Where is God now?
(c) God Absolutely.
(d) Absence of Deus.
11. What are Samaritians called?
(a) Kind people.
12. How do traditional Jews say the name of God?
(a) God Almighty.
(d) They do not say it.
13. What does Mother Teresa try to provide for leprosy patients?
(a) A place where they feel wanted.
(b) An easy death.
(c) Separation from society.
(d) Drugs and x-rays.
14. What did the 1st century Zealots want to do?
(a) Take over the religious life of the Jews.
(b) Fight the Romans.
(c) Leave and start a new country in Africa.
(d) Ascend into heaven.
15. Who wrote the Japanese novel Silence?
(a) John Banto.
(b) Andy Bain.
(c) Shusako Endo.
(d) Phil Yancey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jesus leave his teaching and life's journey?
2. What does Yancey say is the message of Jesus's miracles?
3. What bombshell does Jesus drop during the last supper?
4. What does a leper in Jesus's time have to call out?
5. What do 1st century Jews and modern evangelical Christians have in common?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)