|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jesus propose for those who look at a woman lustfully?
(a) Removal of the offending eye.
(b) Marry immediately and re-channel the lust.
(c) Become monks.
(d) Self-denial of all pleasure whatsoever.
2. What does Yancey think the church has turned Jesus into, according to Chapter 1?
(a) Money-making idol.
(b) Larger than life figure.
(c) Boring and predictable person.
(d) Raging Lion of Judah.
3. What does Wim Wender makes films about?
(b) Nazi history.
(d) Islamic Rituals.
4. Who fights against Antiochus?
5. How many times does Jesus cry in front of his disciples?
6. Why is Yancey drawn to Jesus, according to Chapter 1?
(a) Yancey can't say why.
(b) Jesus is the dividing point of Yancey's life.
(c) Jesus's teaching is so complicated.
(d) It is God's will.
7. How does the Lakota tribe refer to Jesus?
(a) Son of Almighty.
(b) Peace Giver.
(c) Lamb of God.
(d) Buffalo calf of God.
8. When are the Gospels written?
(a) We have no idea.
(b) After the death of Jesus.
(c) Before Jesus was born.
(d) Jesus wrote them during his lifetime.
9. How many emendations do the Pharisees add to the law?
10. What is the ethnic background of Jesus?
11. Who writes the play "The Man Born to be King?"
(a) Dorothy Sayers.
(b) George MacDonald.
(c) Thomas Merton.
12. Why does H. G. Wells say Jesus is important?
(a) His Jewish background is unique.
(b) Jesus is the son of God.
(c) What Jesus left continues to grow.
(d) Caused a turning point in history.
13. According to Yancey, what kind of man was Tolstoy?
(a) The best father ever.
(b) Simply a bundle of joy and hope.
(c) A deeply unhappy man.
(d) A great friend, husband, and sweetheart to all.
14. What does Satan get from the Temptation episode?
(a) Power over Jesus.
(b) A partner in crime.
(c) Free reign to keep doing what he wants.
(d) Victory over God's will.
15. In Chapter 5, what is the one word Yancey chooses to describe Jesus best?
(a) Jewish Messiah.
(c) Mystery man.
(d) Man of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does supersessionism mean?
2. What is the Golden Rule?
3. What are Owens's student's reaction to the Sermon on the Mount?
4. Who writes So Long, Sweet Jesus?
5. What television figure does Yancy compare his early understanding of Jesus to?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)