|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yancey describe Jesus in Chapter 3?
(a) First century Jew with a phylactery on his wrist.
(b) Almost modern and American in appearance.
(c) Perfect image of a Christian man.
(d) A tall blonde man with blue eyes.
2. What does Antiochus try to do to the Jews?
(a) Completely destroy all the people.
(b) Drive them into the Gobi desert.
(c) Enslave them for pyramid building.
(d) Hellenize their culture.
3. According to Yancey, what is the primary emotion in most religions when one approaches God?
4. Where are the headquarters of the Wycliffe Bible translators?
(a) Little Rock, Arkansas.
(b) New York City.
5. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
(b) 8 million.
(d) 500 million.
6. Why is Yancey drawn to Jesus, according to Chapter 1?
(a) Jesus's teaching is so complicated.
(b) Jesus is the dividing point of Yancey's life.
(c) It is God's will.
(d) Yancey can't say why.
7. How many times does Jesus cry in front of his disciples?
8. Who are the 'Jesus freaks' referred to in Chapter 1?
(a) Unkempt, disheveled radicals.
(b) Mentally ill patients.
(c) Roman Catholic nuns.
(d) Middle class white collar workers.
9. What does Jesus propose for those who look at a woman lustfully?
(a) Removal of the offending eye.
(b) Self-denial of all pleasure whatsoever.
(c) Become monks.
(d) Marry immediately and re-channel the lust.
10. What does Walter Wink say about Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) Jesus was not human and therefore not accessible.
(b) Jesus was never interested in writing anything down, but we are.
(c) There was no Jesus, we simply threw together a story.
(d) If Jesus had never lived, we would not have been able to invent him.
11. What does the Gospel of Mark say about why Jesus chose the Twelve?
(a) "That night and day might be full of hope."
(b) "That the end might be the beginning."
(c) "That they might write down what he says."
(d) "That they might be with him."
12. According to Yancey, what kind of man was Tolstoy?
(a) A deeply unhappy man.
(b) A great friend, husband, and sweetheart to all.
(c) The best father ever.
(d) Simply a bundle of joy and hope.
13. Who is the treasurer for Jesus's disciples?
14. How many ordinary activities do the Pharisees outlaw on the Sabbath?
15. Why does H. G. Wells say Jesus is important?
(a) Jesus is the son of God.
(b) Caused a turning point in history.
(c) What Jesus left continues to grow.
(d) His Jewish background is unique.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yancey teach the Beatitudes?
2. What does Yancey find remarkable about Mary?
3. What does the word "gospel" mean?
4. When are the Gospels written?
5. Who is in power in Palestine when Jesus is born?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)