|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of a betrothed woman committing adultery in Jesus's day?
(a) Death by stoning.
(b) Sent to Egypt.
(c) No communion for a month.
(d) It was not a problem.
2. What does the name Jesus mean?
(a) He shall save.
(b) He who sees all.
(c) Drawn from water.
(d) God Almighty.
3. Who writes the play "The Man Born to be King?"
(a) Dorothy Sayers.
(c) Thomas Merton.
(d) George MacDonald.
4. When does Joseph bring his family to Israel?
(a) When Jesus is 21.
(b) After the Red Sea is parted.
(c) They never came back.
(d) After Herod the Great dies.
5. How do teachers live in Jesus'sday?
(a) The state of Israel supports them.
(b) By publishing books.
(c) Off the gifts of appreciative listeners.
(d) By charging tuition for their classes.
6. What does Jesus propose for those who look at a woman lustfully?
(a) Marry immediately and re-channel the lust.
(b) Self-denial of all pleasure whatsoever.
(c) Become monks.
(d) Removal of the offending eye.
7. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
(a) 8 million.
(d) 500 million.
8. What does Yancey want to answer with this book, according to Chapter 1?
(a) What is the point of life?
(b) What would Jesus do?
(c) Why was there a Jesus?
(d) Who was Jesus?
9. What do the Essenes believe in?
(a) Pacificism, purity, and seperatation from society.
(b) Dionysian festivals of drunken merrymaking.
(c) Essence of spirit came from drinking no water.
(d) Poetry, painting, and basket weaving.
10. When are the Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in Qumram?
11. How old was Tolstoy when he wrote Resurrection?
12. What does Antiochus try to do to the Jews?
(a) Hellenize their culture.
(b) Enslave them for pyramid building.
(c) Completely destroy all the people.
(d) Drive them into the Gobi desert.
13. How does Yancey describe Jesus in Chapter 3?
(a) First century Jew with a phylactery on his wrist.
(b) A tall blonde man with blue eyes.
(c) Perfect image of a Christian man.
(d) Almost modern and American in appearance.
14. What does Walter Wink say about Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) If Jesus had never lived, we would not have been able to invent him.
(b) There was no Jesus, we simply threw together a story.
(c) Jesus was not human and therefore not accessible.
(d) Jesus was never interested in writing anything down, but we are.
15. What is Jesus' s first official act as an adult?
(a) Becoming an official rabbi.
(b) Writing the book of John.
(c) Raising Lazarus from the dead.
(d) Meeting Satan in the wilderness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Karamazov write?
2. What language does Jesus speak on a daily basis?
3. How many ordinary activities do the Pharisees outlaw on the Sabbath?
4. What magazine is Jimmy Carter famously interviewed about lust in?
5. In the middle ages, what do many Christians believe Jesus suffered from?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)