|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yancey do for snowbound weeks in Colorado?
(a) Read the Bible.
(b) Almost dies.
(c) Pray for help.
(d) Loses his faith.
2. How does a commentary Yancey mentions translate "Blessed are the poor in spirit"?
(a) The poor have less spirit.
(b) Blessed are the desperate.
(c) Blessed are the spiritless.
(d) Blessings come from poverty.
3. What does communism consider religion to be?
(a) "The opiate of the people."
(b) "The answer to all problems."
(c) "Leftist propaganda."
(d) "State sponsored behavior control."
4. Where did Henry Nouwen begin to work at the height of his writing career?
(b) Eastern College.
(d) Harvard University.
5. What is the ethnic background of Jesus?
6. Who writes So Long, Sweet Jesus?
(a) Bill Milliken.
(b) H. G. Wells.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Billy Graham.
7. Where did Yancey grow up?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia.
(b) London, England.
(c) Kansas City, Kansas.
(d) Jerusalem, Israel.
8. How does Albert Schweitzer interpret the Sermon on the Mount?
(a) Guidelines that are not practical.
(b) Interim demands for unusual times.
(c) Fanciful thoughts of an innocent man.
(d) Misquotes and mistaken translations.
9. What is the outcome of a betrothed woman committing adultery in Jesus's day?
(a) It was not a problem.
(b) Sent to Egypt.
(c) No communion for a month.
(d) Death by stoning.
10. Who is in power in Palestine when Jesus is born?
(a) Galilee the Wise.
(b) Herod the Great.
(c) The council of Hosea.
11. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
(b) 8 million.
(d) 500 million.
12. According to Yancy in Chapter 5, why do people like being where Jesus is?
(a) They don't; people shunned Jesus.
(b) Jesus healed people.
(c) Where Jesus is, there is joy.
(d) Jesus challenged people to think differently.
13. What does Yancey think the church has turned Jesus into, according to Chapter 1?
(a) Larger than life figure.
(b) Boring and predictable person.
(c) Money-making idol.
(d) Raging Lion of Judah.
14. Who are the 'Jesus freaks' referred to in Chapter 1?
(a) Roman Catholic nuns.
(b) Mentally ill patients.
(c) Middle class white collar workers.
(d) Unkempt, disheveled radicals.
15. What does Yancey say a major problem is in looking at the historical Jesus?
(a) Political agendas.
(b) Lack of language knowledge.
(c) Flash forward analysis.
(d) No historical understanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the German Christian Church admire in 1933?
2. Why does Yancey believe that Jews stopped following Jesus?
3. What do the Essenes believe in?
4. How many times does Jesus say to forgive a brother?
5. How many laws do the Pharisees discover?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)