|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the former mouth piece of the Community Party?
(b) Brothers and Sisters Unite.
(c) Red Forever.
(d) Russia Today.
2. What is the image Yancey first has of Jesus?
(a) Angry radical political leader.
(b) Sweet Victorian nanny holding lambs and smiling.
(c) Intense philosophical giant.
(d) Ethereal being of light.
3. Who writes For the Time Being?
(a) W. H. Auden.
(c) Mariamne Herod.
(d) Apostle Paul.
4. What does Satan ask Jesus to turn a stone into?
(b) Loaf of bread.
5. What is the physical appearance of Jesus?
(a) We don't know.
(b) Tall and handsome, blond and blue eyed.
(c) Black skin, black hair and eyes.
(d) Asian features, very short and stout.
6. Who invited Yancey to the White House?
(a) George Bush.
(b) Billy Graham.
(c) President Clinton.
(d) Ronald Reagan.
7. Who marries the granddaughter of Augustus Caesar?
(a) Herod the Great.
(b) Caesar Julius.
(c) Herod Antipas.
(d) Pontius Pilate.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does Yancey say the Gospels assert that Jesus is?
(a) Good friend.
(b) Good teacher.
(c) God's own son.
(d) Nice Guy.
9. Where does Yancey teach the Beatitudes?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Radio 101.
(c) Class at LaSalle Street Church in Chicago.
(d) His son's preschool.
10. How many Jews live in the Roman Empire in the first century?
(b) 8 million.
(c) 500 million.
11. What does Francois Mauriac strive to be?
12. What is the outcome of a betrothed woman committing adultery in Jesus's day?
(a) No communion for a month.
(b) Death by stoning.
(c) Sent to Egypt.
(d) It was not a problem.
13. What does Yancey say a major problem is in looking at the historical Jesus?
(a) Flash forward analysis.
(b) No historical understanding.
(c) Political agendas.
(d) Lack of language knowledge.
14. In the movie La Dolce Vita, what is the helicopter ferrying?
(a) Flocks of gulls.
(b) Giant statue of Jesus.
(c) Glass angels.
(d) Small house made of gold.
15. What does Yancey think the church has turned Jesus into, according to Chapter 1?
(a) Money-making idol.
(b) Larger than life figure.
(c) Raging Lion of Judah.
(d) Boring and predictable person.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the document by Publius Lentulus forged?
2. What do the Essenes believe in?
3. According to Yancey, what kind of man was Tolstoy?
4. How many times is the Augustus Caesar mentioned in the Bible?
5. Where does Jesus spend his first years?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)