|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The confusion about the Mafia is almost always perpetuated by whom?
2. Why could this man not achieve practical results?
3. What else do Italians think about capitalism?
4. What other defense mechanism do the Italians use?
5. Into what do males force women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have the Italians learned is their best defense against problems?
2. What is the fundamental reason for why the South will not narrow the gap between itself and the North?
3. How do the actions of the Northerners affect the achievement of their goals? How do the beliefs of the Southerners contrast this?
4. What do the Sicilians call the Mafia? What do Mafia members think of themselves?
5. What is required within an Italian family?
6. Why will the gap between the Northerners and the Southerners not improve in the immediate future?
7. Describe the Mafia in Sicily.
8. Describe the organization of Italian groups.
9. What do most Italians think of contemporary capitalism?
10. What is the main source of power for Italians? Describe this power.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is irony regarding the Italian illusions.
Part 1) What are the Italian illusions discussed in this book? What is ironic about these?
Part 2) Does this sort of illusion exist elsewhere in the world? If so, where? How? If not, why not?
Part 3) Why are Italians and others drawn so strongly to these illusions?
Essay Topic 2
Benito Mussolini was head of the Fascist party.
Part 1) Describe Mussolini's life. How is he an example of Italian showmanship gone wrong?
Part 2) Was Mussolini ultimately a success or failure? Why?
Part 3) What was important to Mussolini and others like him? Why was this important? What does this reinforce regarding Italian life?
Essay Topic 3
Conflict exists between Northerners and Southerners.
Part 1) Describe both the Northerners and Southerners. Compare these two groups.
Part 2) How do their differences cause conflict? Can peace, understanding, and equality exist in the near future? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do these social conflicts parallel problems in the United States? Were we able to overcome our differences? If so, how? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)