|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mafia members feel that they are sometimes forced to do?
2. The best example of this philosophy is embodied by whom?
3. What do other Italians think of the better-educated Italians who have no need for these tools for living life as pain-free as possible?
4. The Southerners work toward what?
5. On what was Guicciardini more focused?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the confusion about the Mafia?
2. What are the two major rules that must be followed to survive in Italian society?
3. What do the Sicilians call the Mafia? What do Mafia members think of themselves?
4. Describe the organization of Italian groups.
5. Why will the gap between the Northerners and the Southerners not improve in the immediate future?
6. What is one difference between Northerners and Southerners?
7. At first glance, how does Italy appear?
8. Describe the Baroque period in Italy.
9. What is the difference between mafia and Mafia?
10. Describe Sicily.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict exists between Northerners and Southerners.
Part 1) Describe both the Northerners and Southerners. Compare these two groups.
Part 2) How do their differences cause conflict? Can peace, understanding, and equality exist in the near future? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do these social conflicts parallel problems in the United States? Were we able to overcome our differences? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
A contemporary of Casanova's was Giuseppe Balsamo.
Part 1) Who was Giuseppe Balsamo? For what is he famous?
Part 2) Why is this story included in this book?
Part 3) How does Balsamo compare to other Italians of his day? How does this affect one's view of Italy?
Essay Topic 3
Free expression is considered a luxury.
Part 1) What is meant by free expression? Why is it considered a luxury? For whom is free expression? Why?
Part 2) How does this belief affect Italians and their goals in life?
Part 3) How does this compare to the average American's belief about free expression? How are the beliefs regarding free expression reflected in each country's society? Is one better than another? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)