|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Italian mothers take on an almost divine role in the family paralleling what?
2. What do Italians think of free expression?
3. The author describes the humiliation of Italy in what battle?
4. The Mafia members contend that they are not criminals but rather the enemies of whom?
5. The Southerners work toward what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the social status of men and women in an Italian family?
2. How is Guicciardini a role model?
3. What is hidden under the facade that most foreigners know as Italy?
4. What do most Italians think of contemporary capitalism?
5. In Sicily, how is each man's rank determined?
6. What is the difference between mafia and Mafia?
7. What is required within an Italian family?
8. At first glance, how does Italy appear?
9. What is one difference between Northerners and Southerners?
10. How do the actions of the Northerners affect the achievement of their goals? How do the beliefs of the Southerners contrast this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Casanova and Cagliostro are said to be found in Italian men.
Part 1) How are they found in Italian men? Why is this believed?
Part 2) Is this good or bad? Why? Is there any parallel in American men? If so, what? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does superstition play into the Italian beliefs about life and illusion?
Essay Topic 2
Italians do not understand capitalism.
Part 1) What is capitalism? Why do they not understand it?
Part 2) How is this inability to understand related to their beliefs regarding free speech?
Part 3) How does this affect governmental affairs, laws, and other legal situations?
Essay Topic 3
The family is the main source of power in Italy.
Part 1) Describe an Italian family. How is it powerful? Why is it the main source of power?
Part 2) How does the familial power affect relationships outside of the family? Why?
Part 3) How does this power affect society in Italy as a whole? Why?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)