|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Southerner relies on what to achieve the same goals as the Northerners?
2. The author describes the humiliation of Italy in what battle?
3. There are visible signs of material advantages in the North, but there is always the danger of what?
4. The fundamental reason that the South will not narrow the gap between itself and the North is what?
5. What helps Italians navigate through life with as little pain as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have the Italians learned is their best defense against problems?
2. What do the Sicilians call the Mafia? What do Mafia members think of themselves?
3. Why will the gap between the Northerners and the Southerners not improve in the immediate future?
4. At first glance, how does Italy appear?
5. What do Italians think of life? What group of Italians may think differently? What do most Italians think of this group?
6. Who is Francesco Guicciardini?
7. What is meant by mafioso?
8. What are the elementary rules for survival in Italian society?
9. How is Guicciardini a role model?
10. What is the main source of power for Italians? Describe this power.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baroque period was a time of magnificent artistic creativity beginning in 17th century Italy.
Part 1) What led to the beginning of the Baroque period? How?
Part 2) How does this period reflect the Italian mindset at the time and even today?
Part 3) How does this period affect the Catholic church at the time and today? Would the Catholic Church be as important if it had not been for the Baroque period and the Italian desire for illusion and deception? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Italians believe in shutting their mouths and minding their own business.
Part 1) Why do they believe this is the best defense? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) Who is perfect example of this philosophy? How?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about this character's behavior? How does he compare to other famous Italians mentioned in this book? How does he compare to famous Americans? What might Italians think of him? What might Americans think of him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Battle of Fornovo was very humiliating.
Part 1) What is the Battle of Fornovo? Why was it humiliating?
Part 2) How did the outcome of this battle affect Italians and their culture?
Part 3) How do the results of this battle still affect Italians today?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)