|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sicily, each man's rank is determined by what?
2. The confusion about the Mafia is almost always perpetuated by whom?
3. The North supplies what to the South?
4. What do Mafia members feel that they are sometimes forced to do?
5. What do other Italians think of the better-educated Italians who have no need for these tools for living life as pain-free as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by mafioso?
2. At first glance, how does Italy appear?
3. What causes the confusion about the Mafia?
4. What is the difference between mafia and Mafia?
5. What do most Italians think of contemporary capitalism?
6. What do most Italians think of free expression?
7. What is one difference between Northerners and Southerners?
8. How is Guicciardini a role model?
9. How do the actions of the Northerners affect the achievement of their goals? How do the beliefs of the Southerners contrast this?
10. What is the social status of men and women in an Italian family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Battle of Fornovo was very humiliating.
Part 1) What is the Battle of Fornovo? Why was it humiliating?
Part 2) How did the outcome of this battle affect Italians and their culture?
Part 3) How do the results of this battle still affect Italians today?
Essay Topic 2
Millions of visitors come to Italy every year.
Part 1) From where do they come? Why do they come? What makes Italy special?
Part 2) Why do these visitors often return or stay permanently in Italy?
Part 3) Would you want to visit or live in Italy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sicily is an important faction in the geography of Italy.
Part 1) Describe Sicily. Why might it be so different from the rest of Italy?
Part 2) How might these differences add to the conflict existing between the Northerners and Southerners?
Part 3) How does Sicily's reputation foreshadow the development of the Mafia? is this reputation good? Why or why not? Would a Sicilian think it was good? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)