|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Guicciardini is the role model for what?
2. The heads of Mafia organizations are usually _____________________ with impeccable manners and ingratiating charm which do not belie the cruelty underneath.
3. The Northerner believes that wealth is the sure way to do what?
4. Why are male children especially anticipated and favored?
5. What does the word mafia indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the actions of the Northerners affect the achievement of their goals? How do the beliefs of the Southerners contrast this?
2. Describe the Baroque period in Italy.
3. Describe the organization of Italian groups.
4. What do the Sicilians call the Mafia? What do Mafia members think of themselves?
5. What do most Italians think of free expression?
6. Describe the Mafia in Sicily.
7. What are the elementary rules for survival in Italian society?
8. What causes the confusion about the Mafia?
9. Who is Francesco Guicciardini?
10. What is one difference between Northerners and Southerners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Italians believed newborn babies are surrounded by genii.
Part 1) What are genii? Why do they believe these surround babies?
Part 2) How do Italians use genii to explain their circumstances and hardships in life? How does this affect their behavior?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on genii? How would they deal with life's hardships?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict exists between Northerners and Southerners.
Part 1) Describe both the Northerners and Southerners. Compare these two groups.
Part 2) How do their differences cause conflict? Can peace, understanding, and equality exist in the near future? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do these social conflicts parallel problems in the United States? Were we able to overcome our differences? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Benito Mussolini was head of the Fascist party.
Part 1) Describe Mussolini's life. How is he an example of Italian showmanship gone wrong?
Part 2) Was Mussolini ultimately a success or failure? Why?
Part 3) What was important to Mussolini and others like him? Why was this important? What does this reinforce regarding Italian life?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)