|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Giuseppe Balsamo call himself?
2. In the cases of love where a man acts as if he is irresistibly attracted to a woman, can the woman know that his actions indicate true feelings?
3. What must be hidden?
4. Visitors drink vast and indiscriminate quantities of ____________.
5. Possibly nowhere else on earth can these things be found and indulged in with such ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what activities to visitors take part?
2. What is the stereotype of Italians?
3. Why is it believed that both Casanova and Cagliostro can be found in every Italian man?
4. Why is the element of make believe important?
5. What is the first purpose of having life be like a show?
6. How does this opening affect the reader?
7. Is tourism new to Italy? Why or why not?
8. What is a part of Italy's charm? Explain this aspect.
9. When is a time when an entire city used deception in order to perpetuate the necessary illusions?
10. Why do many visitors return often or stay permanently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baroque period was a time of magnificent artistic creativity beginning in 17th century Italy.
Part 1) What led to the beginning of the Baroque period? How?
Part 2) How does this period reflect the Italian mindset at the time and even today?
Part 3) How does this period affect the Catholic church at the time and today? Would the Catholic Church be as important if it had not been for the Baroque period and the Italian desire for illusion and deception? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Millions of visitors come to Italy every year.
Part 1) From where do they come? Why do they come? What makes Italy special?
Part 2) Why do these visitors often return or stay permanently in Italy?
Part 3) Would you want to visit or live in Italy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Italians do not understand capitalism.
Part 1) What is capitalism? Why do they not understand it?
Part 2) How is this inability to understand related to their beliefs regarding free speech?
Part 3) How does this affect governmental affairs, laws, and other legal situations?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)