|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This author asserts that a man must use tactics of mild deception at times in order to do what?
2. What still remains in Italy?
3. Who is Guiseppe Balsamo?
4. Who found their way to Italy?
5. Rohan attempts to deceive Marie Antoinette, the Queen of France, in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did author Henry James say regarding the pleasure of Italy?
2. From where do most foreigners to Italy come? What brings these visitors?
3. When is a time when an entire city used deception in order to perpetuate the necessary illusions?
4. What do you find to be a important feature of Italy?
5. Why must one be careful when falling in love in Italy?
6. What is the stereotype of Italians?
7. What is the first of the evil spirits? Describe it.
8. How is Benito Mussolini an example of Italian showmanship gone wrong?
9. Who is Guiseppe Balsamo?
10. What is a major reason for Italian travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The family is the main source of power in Italy.
Part 1) Describe an Italian family. How is it powerful? Why is it the main source of power?
Part 2) How does the familial power affect relationships outside of the family? Why?
Part 3) How does this power affect society in Italy as a whole? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The Italians believe in shutting their mouths and minding their own business.
Part 1) Why do they believe this is the best defense? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) Who is perfect example of this philosophy? How?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about this character's behavior? How does he compare to other famous Italians mentioned in this book? How does he compare to famous Americans? What might Italians think of him? What might Americans think of him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Mafia is very powerful.
Part 1) What is the Mafia? What is the difference between mafia and Mafia?
Part 2) What is mafioso? How does it describe one who is a member of the Mafia? Why is the Mafia so powerful? How do Italian beliefs reinforce the power of the Mafia?
Part 3) Is the Mafia good or bad? Might Italians and Sicilians believe it is good or bad? Why?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)