|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision do some visitors make according to this chapter?
2. The passion for ______________ allows Italians to glide over life's surface leaving the ugly part as untouched as possible.
3. Upon arrival, what were nearly impossible to find?
4. How do visitors attempt to speak?
5. What kind of behavior do tourists demonstrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first purpose of having life be like a show?
2. How important are nonverbal gestures?
3. How is Benito Mussolini an example of Italian showmanship gone wrong?
4. What is a major reason for Italian travel?
5. How does this opening affect the reader?
6. How might art devotees feel in Italy?
7. What is the third evil spirit? Describe it.
8. How do you feel about the deception of the Italian people?
9. Why is it believed that both Casanova and Cagliostro can be found in every Italian man?
10. What do you find to be a important feature of Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Italians believed newborn babies are surrounded by genii.
Part 1) What are genii? Why do they believe these surround babies?
Part 2) How do Italians use genii to explain their circumstances and hardships in life? How does this affect their behavior?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on genii? How would they deal with life's hardships?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict exists between Northerners and Southerners.
Part 1) Describe both the Northerners and Southerners. Compare these two groups.
Part 2) How do their differences cause conflict? Can peace, understanding, and equality exist in the near future? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do these social conflicts parallel problems in the United States? Were we able to overcome our differences? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Mafia is very powerful.
Part 1) What is the Mafia? What is the difference between mafia and Mafia?
Part 2) What is mafioso? How does it describe one who is a member of the Mafia? Why is the Mafia so powerful? How do Italian beliefs reinforce the power of the Mafia?
Part 3) Is the Mafia good or bad? Might Italians and Sicilians believe it is good or bad? Why?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)