|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artists of all types also flock to Italy for what reason?
2. What decision do some visitors make according to this chapter?
3. Why do wealthy people come to Italy?
4. In later years, people came to the cities of Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples to do what?
5. What did this city add to the building facades?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the stereotype of Italians?
2. How was travel to Italy in ancient times?
3. In what activities to visitors take part?
4. What is the first purpose of having life be like a show?
5. How important are nonverbal gestures?
6. What is ironic about the lives of Italians and the deception that is a part of life in this country?
7. When is a time when an entire city used deception in order to perpetuate the necessary illusions?
8. How might art devotees feel in Italy?
9. What is a major reason for Italian travel?
10. What did author Henry James say regarding the pleasure of Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cola di Rienzo was a popular orator.
Part 1) Who was Cola di Rienzo? How did he become famous at the art of illusion?
Part 2) How was he important in Italian history? What message does his story send?
Part 3) Could he ever have been successful? Why or why not? What might he have done differently in his life to have avoided his fate?
Essay Topic 2
Part of Italy's charm is the people's love of drama and spectacle.
Part 1) Describe this drama and spectacle. Why is it so charming?
Part 2) What is the purpose of the drama and spectacle? Why do Italians see it as necessary?
Part 3) Does this drama and spectacle exist in other places around the world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The family is the main source of power in Italy.
Part 1) Describe an Italian family. How is it powerful? Why is it the main source of power?
Part 2) How does the familial power affect relationships outside of the family? Why?
Part 3) How does this power affect society in Italy as a whole? Why?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)