|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is important to these aristocrats?
2. For these aristocrats, do they believe these sacrifices are worth it?
3. In ancient times, travel was _________________.
4. Who was this city trying to deceive?
5. What did many view Italians as deserving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important are nonverbal gestures?
2. What is the second evil spirit? Describe it.
3. What does the author say about the draw of the weather for visitors. What do you think about this?
4. How do you feel about the deception of the Italian people?
5. What is the first of the evil spirits? Describe it.
6. How does this opening affect the reader?
7. From where do most foreigners to Italy come? What brings these visitors?
8. What do you find to be a important feature of Italy?
9. How do the Italians feel about work?
10. Why do many visitors return often or stay permanently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is irony regarding the Italian illusions.
Part 1) What are the Italian illusions discussed in this book? What is ironic about these?
Part 2) Does this sort of illusion exist elsewhere in the world? If so, where? How? If not, why not?
Part 3) Why are Italians and others drawn so strongly to these illusions?
Essay Topic 2
A contemporary of Casanova's was Giuseppe Balsamo.
Part 1) Who was Giuseppe Balsamo? For what is he famous?
Part 2) Why is this story included in this book?
Part 3) How does Balsamo compare to other Italians of his day? How does this affect one's view of Italy?
Essay Topic 3
Millions of visitors come to Italy every year.
Part 1) From where do they come? Why do they come? What makes Italy special?
Part 2) Why do these visitors often return or stay permanently in Italy?
Part 3) Would you want to visit or live in Italy? Why or why not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)