|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first of the evil spirits is what?
2. Polite lies and flattery are tools of the Italian people in order to do what?
3. What do female visitors believe about Italian men?
4. When do tourists demonstrate the kind of behavior mentioned in number 7?
5. What must be hidden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it believed that both Casanova and Cagliostro can be found in every Italian man?
2. What is the third evil spirit? Describe it.
3. Why do many visitors return often or stay permanently?
4. What do you find to be a important feature of Italy?
5. What is a major reason for Italian travel?
6. How might art devotees feel in Italy?
7. How was travel to Italy in ancient times?
8. How is Italian life like a play or show?
9. Is tourism new to Italy? Why or why not?
10. Who is Guiseppe Balsamo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most prominent proponents of illusion is Baldassar Castiglione.
Part 1) Who was Baldassar Castiglione? How did he promote illusion?
Part 2) Why did he promote illusion? Why is deception important to Italians at this time? Why is it important today?
Part 3) How do you feel about this illusion and deception? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Millions of visitors come to Italy every year.
Part 1) From where do they come? Why do they come? What makes Italy special?
Part 2) Why do these visitors often return or stay permanently in Italy?
Part 3) Would you want to visit or live in Italy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Part of Italy's charm is the people's love of drama and spectacle.
Part 1) Describe this drama and spectacle. Why is it so charming?
Part 2) What is the purpose of the drama and spectacle? Why do Italians see it as necessary?
Part 3) Does this drama and spectacle exist in other places around the world? Why or why not?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)