|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Vivaldi to believe he has been betrayed in Chapter 12?
2. What is Ellena's reaction when she sees Vivaldi after refusing to accept the veil at the convent of San Stefano?
3. What is Marchesa di Vivaldi worried about in Chapter 14?
4. What can Ellena not help doing when Vivaldi joins her in song?
5. What happens to Ellena on the morning she is to leave for the convent at Santa Maria della Pieta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Schedoni and the Marchesa di Vivaldi decide to do based on Schedoni's exaggerated story of his confrontation with Vivaldi?
2. What choice is given to Ellena by the abbess on Chapter 8, and what is her response?
3. Who does Vivaldi find when he returns home to see his mother, and what does he accuse this person of?
4. What happens that causes Vivaldi to rush to Ellena's house, and what does he find there?
5. What does Olivia tell Ellena about her refusal to accept the veil, and what does she suggest Ellena do?
6. After seeing Ellena taken away during their marriage ceremony, where does Vivaldi demand to be sent, and for what reason does he make this demand?
7. Where do Vivaldi and Ellena hide after she has escaped, and who does Vivaldi's servant report is approaching?
8. What does Vivaldi find when he returns to Ellena's house in Chapter 9, and what does this cause him to suspect?
9. What is Ellena's reaction when she learns how Vivaldi's parents feel about her?
10. What happens when Ellena agrees to marry Vivaldi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Vivaldi and Schedoni. How are their relationships with Ellena similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate "The Italian" as Gothic fiction. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical Gothic novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as Gothic fiction? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as Gothic fiction?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)