|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivaldi learn about Ellena's past in Chapter 1?
2. Who tells Vivaldi he has been betrayed?
3. Where does Vivaldi find lodging for Ellena in Chapter 13?
4. What happens to Ellena on the morning she is to leave for the convent at Santa Maria della Pieta?
5. What does Vivaldi ask his friend to do at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Schedoni and the Marchesa di Vivaldi decide to do based on Schedoni's exaggerated story of his confrontation with Vivaldi?
2. After leaving the shepherd's farm, where does Vivaldi seek lodging for himself and Ellena, and what does he hope to obtain while there?
3. What does the Marchesa fear her son will do when she hears of Ellena's escape, and who does she summon to confirm the rumor?
4. After seeing Ellena taken away during their marriage ceremony, where does Vivaldi demand to be sent, and for what reason does he make this demand?
5. What choice is given to Ellena by the abbess on Chapter 8, and what is her response?
6. What happens when Ellena agrees to marry Vivaldi?
7. What does Olivia do to help Ellena while she is held captive in Chapter 8?
8. Who does Vivaldi believe has betrayed him on his escape plan and why?
9. Where does Schedoni plan to send Ellena in Chapter 10 and on whose appeal is he acting?
10. What does Vivaldi find when he returns to Ellena's house in Chapter 9, and what does this cause him to suspect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "The Italian"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
What events lead to the Marchese di Vivaldi promoting his son's marriage to Ellena di Rosalba?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vivaldi and Ellena's relationship affect the story?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)