|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Paulo announce is approaching in Chapter 13?
(a) Two Carmelite spies.
(b) The local sheriff.
(c) The abbess of the convent.
(d) Vivaldi's parents.
2. What benefit does Ellena gain after meeting Olivia?
(a) A large cask of wine.
(b) A room with a beautiful view.
(c) A letter from Vivaldi.
(d) Access to forbidden fruit.
3. Where does Schedoni plot to send Ellena?
(a) The Italian wine region.
(b) To an unmarked grave.
(c) The convent of San Stefano.
(d) The South of France.
4. Why does Vivaldi hope to locate a priest in Chapter 13?
(a) To get a monetary loan.
(b) To confess his sins.
(c) For protection.
(d) To have an immediate marriage to Ellena.
5. Who tells Vivaldi he has been betrayed?
(a) His cousin.
(b) An aged friar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ellena enchanted by on the fifth day of her captivity at the convent of San Stefano?
2. Who does Vivaldi join when he nears a convent to avoid suspicion?
3. What is Marchesa di Vivaldi worried about in Chapter 14?
4. Where do Vivaldi and Paulo end up after pursuing the figure in the monastery?
5. What does Olivia promise to help Ellena do, despite risk of punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Signora Bianchi's reaction when Vivaldi states his desire to marry Ellena?
2. Who does Vivaldi believe has betrayed him on his escape plan and why?
3. What does Beatrice believe about the Signora's death, and what does Vivaldi do in response to this?
4. Where do Vivaldi and Ellena hide after she has escaped, and who does Vivaldi's servant report is approaching?
5. After seeing Ellena taken away during their marriage ceremony, where does Vivaldi demand to be sent, and for what reason does he make this demand?
6. How do Vivaldi's parents feel about his courting attempts?
7. What does Olivia do to help Ellena while she is held captive in Chapter 8?
8. What does Olivia suggest that Ellena do and why?
9. What is Ellena's reaction when she learns how Vivaldi's parents feel about her?
10. What does Olivia tell Ellena about her refusal to accept the veil, and what does she suggest Ellena do?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)