|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vivaldi learn when he arrives at the convent?
(a) He has won the lottery.
(b) Ellena is dead.
(c) A nun is about to be confessed.
(d) His friend has been executed.
2. What unforgivable sin is Ellena accused of in Chapter 6?
(a) Being a witch.
(b) Seeking a clandestine union with Vivaldi.
(c) Murder of several people.
(d) Blasphemy against the church.
3. What does Vivaldi's father accuse him of doing to Ellena?
(a) Coercing her with money.
(b) Staining her honor.
(c) Murdering her.
(d) Horrifying her.
4. What bad news does Vivaldi discover upon entering Ellena's house in Chapter 3?
(a) Ellena has fled the country.
(b) The house has burned to the ground.
(c) Her aunt has died.
(d) Ellena has another suitor.
5. What does Vivaldi ask his friend to do at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Loan him money.
(b) Accompany him to the villa.
(c) Play guitar while he serenades Ellena.
(d) Kidnap Ellena.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Vivaldi encounter while leaving his mother's closet?
2. When Paulo tells him of the man in white garb, who does Vivaldi think the man is?
3. Why does Vivaldi hope to locate a priest in Chapter 13?
4. What do Vivaldi's mother and her adviser decide to do after Vivaldi has left her apartments in Chapter 4?
5. Who drags Ellena away while Vivaldi is wounded in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Olivia suggest that Ellena do and why?
2. What choice is given to Ellena by the abbess on Chapter 8, and what is her response?
3. Where does Vivaldi locate Ellena, and what is her reaction when she sees him in Chapter 11?
4. After leaving the shepherd's farm, where does Vivaldi seek lodging for himself and Ellena, and what does he hope to obtain while there?
5. How do Vivaldi's parents feel about his courting attempts?
6. Where do Vivaldi and Ellena hide after she has escaped, and who does Vivaldi's servant report is approaching?
7. What happens to Vivaldi and Paulo when they pursue the mysterious monk?
8. What does Olivia tell Ellena about her refusal to accept the veil, and what does she suggest Ellena do?
9. What happens to Ellena as she prepares to depart for the convent of Santa Maria della Pieta?
10. What does Beatrice believe about the Signora's death, and what does Vivaldi do in response to this?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)