|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Schedoni do when Vivaldi questions him?
(a) Answers his questions fully.
(b) Charges Vivaldi with a sword.
(c) Flees the church.
(d) Ignores his questions.
2. What does Vivaldi ask his friend to do at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Loan him money.
(b) Kidnap Ellena.
(c) Play guitar while he serenades Ellena.
(d) Accompany him to the villa.
3. Where does Ellena decide to board for sanctuary?
(a) The Sicilian coast.
(b) The convent of Santa Maria della Pieta.
(c) The Tuscan wine region.
(d) Vivaldi's home.
4. What does Vivaldi demand to be done in Chapter 16?
(a) Ellena be released immediately.
(b) To be taken with Ellena.
(c) To be taken to the doctor.
(d) The charges explained to him.
5. What does Ellena beg Vivaldi not to do when their wedding is interrupted and she is seized by the intruders?
(a) Love her any longer.
(b) Follow her.
(c) Forget about her.
(d) Leave her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivaldi suspect is the cause of death in the investigation?
2. What bad news does Vivaldi discover upon entering Ellena's house in Chapter 3?
3. What happens to Ellena on the morning she is to leave for the convent at Santa Maria della Pieta?
4. Why is Vivaldi advised not to pursue Ellena?
5. Why does the abbess hint at punishing Ellena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Vivaldi feels when he first sees Ellena in Chapter 1.
2. Who does Vivaldi believe has betrayed him on his escape plan and why?
3. What is Signora Bianchi's reaction when Vivaldi states his desire to marry Ellena?
4. What happens that causes Vivaldi to rush to Ellena's house, and what does he find there?
5. Who does Vivaldi find when he returns home to see his mother, and what does he accuse this person of?
6. What does the monk warn Vivaldi against in Chapter 1 and why?
7. What happens to Ellena as she prepares to depart for the convent of Santa Maria della Pieta?
8. What does Vivaldi find when he returns to Ellena's house in Chapter 9, and what does this cause him to suspect?
9. What does Beatrice believe about the Signora's death, and what does Vivaldi do in response to this?
10. After seeing Ellena taken away during their marriage ceremony, where does Vivaldi demand to be sent, and for what reason does he make this demand?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)