|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 24, what does the Marchesa believe after hearing details about Ellena's family?
(a) That Schedoni has been taken in by Ellena's lies.
(b) She would like to hear the details from Ellena for herself.
(c) Her son should marry Ellena immediately.
(d) They should be written into a book.
2. What does the Marchesa di Vivaldi confess on her deathbed?
(a) Her love for Schedoni.
(b) Her unfaithfulness to her husband.
(c) The murder of Signora Bianchi.
(d) Her crimes against Vivaldi and Ellena.
3. In Chapter 21, what does Schedoni resolve to do for fear of being questioned by the Marchesa di Vivaldi?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Marry Vivaldi and Ellena secretly.
(c) Change his identity.
(d) Murder Ellena.
4. What does Paulo tell the Marchese in Chapter 31?
(a) His son has been killed.
(b) His son's sufferings and whereabouts.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He can no longer work for the Vivaldi family.
5. Who did Olivia correspond regularly with in Chapter 30?
(a) The Marchesa di Vivaldi.
(b) Signor Bianchi.
(c) The Count di Bruno.
(d) Paulo, Vivaldi's servant.
6. What time of day do Vivaldi and Paulo enter Rome?
(b) Late afternoon.
7. Where does Schedoni deposit Ellena in Chapter 22?
(a) A prison cell.
(b) A local convent.
(c) An abandoned farmhouse.
(d) A friend's house.
8. What does Ellena urge Schedoni to do after seeing Spalatro wounded?
(a) Depart hastily.
(b) Bring Spalatro on their journey.
(c) Seek a doctor.
(d) Summon a priest to administer last rites.
9. In Chapter 28, how are Schedoni and Father Ansaldo questioned?
(a) While being tortured.
(b) Separately and together with Vivaldi.
(c) Over a fine meal.
(d) In the town square.
10. What does Schedoni seek from the Marchesa di Vivaldi in Chapter 21?
(a) Approbation for the union between Vivaldi and Ellena.
(b) Her hand in marriage.
(c) Mercy and forgiveness.
(d) A pay raise.
11. What does the narrator say about Schedoni that would have made Ellena join the convent immediately if she had known the truth?
(a) A letter she received from him.
(b) He instructed her to serve God.
(c) His place in the hierarchy of the Church.
(d) His true character.
12. What does Schedoni lock himself in his room to do in Chapter 20?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Pray for forgiveness.
(c) Meditate on his scheme.
(d) Write a letter to Vivaldi.
13. How long is Ellena's journey in Chapter 18?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two days and two nights.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eight hours.
14. What does the sentinel do when Vivaldi questions him about the visitor in his cell?
(a) Laughs harshly.
(b) He denies anyone was there.
(c) He says it was a ghost.
(d) Slaps Vivaldi in the face.
15. What is the response of the monk Ellena appeals to for protection?
(a) He vows to pray for her.
(b) He laughs in her face.
(c) He offers his protection.
(d) He tells her life is not worth saving and accuses her of slattery.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, why does Olivia say she was persecuted by the abbess of San Stefano?
2. What does the Marchese agree to do to please his son in Chapter 31?
3. Why is Schedoni taken into custody at the end of Chapter 28?
4. What does Schedoni instruct Spaltaro to do to Ellena in Chapter 20?
5. What does Schedoni do every time the guide mentions Spalatro?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)