|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Schedoni admit about Nicola in Chapter 28?
(a) He has never seen him before.
(b) He is his father.
(c) He tried to murder him.
(d) He was his agent in a plot against Vivaldi.
2. What does Ellena fear when she is visited by Beatrice in Chapter 30?
(a) Further persecution.
(b) Vivaldi has been killed.
(c) She has come to murder her.
(d) Her son has been murdered.
3. Who did the ancient servant that testified in the trial in Chapter 29 work for?
(a) Vivaldi's uncle.
(b) The Marchesa di Vivaldi.
(c) The Count di Bruno.
(d) The Italian government.
4. What does Schedoni promise to do when Ellena asks about Vivaldi in Chapter 23?
(a) To bring him immediately to her.
(b) To tell Vivaldi she is safe.
(c) To have him arrested.
(d) To acquaint her with anything he hears about Vivaldi.
5. What does Vivaldi expect to happen when he meets the Chief Officer?
(a) He will see Ellena.
(b) He will be set free.
(c) He will see his mother.
(d) He will be tortured.
6. Where are Vivaldi and Paulo taken at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Vivaldi's home.
(b) The jail at St. Peters.
(c) To a local inn.
(d) The courthouse.
7. What does the sentinel do when Vivaldi questions him about the visitor in his cell?
(a) He denies anyone was there.
(b) Laughs harshly.
(c) Slaps Vivaldi in the face.
(d) He says it was a ghost.
8. In Chapter 26, what does the monk tell Vivaldi he will witness during the next day's questioning?
(a) A murder.
(b) An act of God.
(c) Many extraordinary things.
(d) A beautiful opera.
9. In Chapter 28, what does the assassin's confession prove?
(a) Schedoni is innocent.
(b) Ellena is dead.
(c) Count di Bruno plotted his brother's murder.
(d) Nicola played no part in this.
10. What does the Marchesa di Vivaldi confess on her deathbed?
(a) Her love for Schedoni.
(b) Her unfaithfulness to her husband.
(c) The murder of Signora Bianchi.
(d) Her crimes against Vivaldi and Ellena.
11. What event is happening in Rome in Chapter 17?
(a) A crucifixion.
(b) A riot.
(c) A carnival.
(d) A musical concert.
12. Where does the tribunal send Vivaldi at the end of Chapter 27?
(a) To another tribunal.
(b) Back to his cell.
(c) To the dungeon.
(d) His hometown.
13. What prevented Signora Bianchi from telling Ellena about her family?
(a) A bribe from Vivaldi's parents.
(b) A pact with Count di Bruno.
(c) Her death.
(d) A sign from God.
14. What will no one tell Vivaldi about the mysterious monk in Chapter 26?
(a) The status of his health.
(b) His feelings about Vivaldi.
(c) How he got there.
(d) Who he is.
15. How does Ellena feel about Sister Olivia of San Stefano in Chapter 25?
(a) She loves her most of all the nuns.
(b) She should leave the convent to marry Schedoni.
(c) She has a bitter hatred for her.
(d) She will soon die.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose trial is Vivaldi called to testify in, at the start of Chapter 29?
2. What do the nuns try and do for Ellena when she arrives at the convent in Chapter 25?
3. What strikes Schedoni about the play Virginia?
4. What does the narrator say about Schedoni that would have made Ellena join the convent immediately if she had known the truth?
5. What is the response of the monk Ellena appeals to for protection?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)