|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Schedoni promise to do when Ellena asks about Vivaldi in Chapter 23?
(a) To tell Vivaldi she is safe.
(b) To acquaint her with anything he hears about Vivaldi.
(c) To bring him immediately to her.
(d) To have him arrested.
2. What does Ellena request from Spalatro?
(a) A lamp.
(b) A rosary.
(c) Her freedom.
(d) Food and water.
3. In Chapter 30, who does Olivia reveal to Ellena that she is?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A famous actress.
(d) The spirit of Beatrice.
4. In Chapter 19, what is Spalatro shocked to see Ellena do?
(a) Smile at him.
(b) Attempt to escape.
(c) Beg him for mercy.
(d) Rise out of bed.
5. What does Schedoni admit about Nicola in Chapter 28?
(a) He was his agent in a plot against Vivaldi.
(b) He is his father.
(c) He has never seen him before.
(d) He tried to murder him.
6. What does Paulo tell the Marchese in Chapter 31?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He can no longer work for the Vivaldi family.
(c) His son has been killed.
(d) His son's sufferings and whereabouts.
7. What does the sentinel do when Vivaldi questions him about the visitor in his cell?
(a) Laughs harshly.
(b) Slaps Vivaldi in the face.
(c) He says it was a ghost.
(d) He denies anyone was there.
8. What realization does Schedoni come to that causes him agony and remorse?
(a) He has lost all his money.
(b) Ellena has committed suicide.
(c) Ellena has killed his dog.
(d) He believes he is Ellena's father.
9. What does the Marchesa believe changed Schedoni's opinion of Ellena?
(a) A conversation with a priest.
(b) He has become mentally ill.
(c) A bribe from Vivaldi.
(d) He has fallen in love with Ellena.
10. What does Schedoni learn was the fate of the village of the Barone di Cambrusca?
(a) It became the richest village in Italy.
(b) It was burned down by rebels.
(c) It was destroyed in an earthquake.
(d) It was destroyed by a flood.
11. Whose confession does Father Ansaldo relate to the tribunal?
(b) The Count di Bruno's.
(c) The Marchesa di Vivaldi's
12. What time of day do Vivaldi and Paulo enter Rome?
(b) Late afternoon.
13. In Chapter 18, what does Ellena's room contain that she is unaware of?
(a) A noiseless door.
(b) A colony of fire ants.
(c) The ghost of her aunt.
(d) A large spider.
14. What strikes Schedoni about the play Virginia?
(a) He wrote a similar play.
(b) The horrible performance of the actors.
(c) It involves a father murdering his daughter.
(d) The lead actress favors Ellena.
15. What is the Marchesa's dying wish in Chapter 31?
(a) To see Schedoni's face.
(b) She be buried in Rome.
(c) To see the home where she was born.
(d) That her husband consent to Vivaldi's and Ellena's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schedoni do every time the guide mentions Spalatro?
2. What stops Schedoni from harming Ellena in Chapter 20?
3. How does Vivaldi gain Paulo an indulgence at the close of Chapter 29?
4. What does the narrator say about Schedoni that would have made Ellena join the convent immediately if she had known the truth?
5. What does Schedoni reveal to Vivaldi at the end of the trial?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)