|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Avis' alternative personality in Chapter 20?
2. What does Everhard believe will continue to fester and rot despite the art created by the Oligarchy in Chapter 14?
3. What is the person who humbly ministers the poor call his or her work terrified of in Chapter 12?
4. Despite running through murderous mobs, taking refuge under piles of dead bodies, and coming near to death herself, what does Avis feel she can do in Chapter 24?
5. Where do the terrorist groups originate from in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the seamstress.
2. What bribe does Cunningham refuse and what effect does it have on his life?
3. Describe Avis' remembrance of Jackson and the people affected by his case.
4. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
5. Describe the Bishop's new occupation and the reasons for doing so.
6. What happened soon after Everhard got elected to Congress?
7. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
8. How was the First Revolt supposed to begin?
9. Describe what happens to Avis and Everhard in the end of the novel.
10. Describe what happened to Avis after the bombing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Iron Heel as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the Oligarchy. Describe the worker in Iron Heel. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that London discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways? Discuss and describe.
Essay Topic 2
Avis and Everhard are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Avis had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Everhard had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in Iron Heel. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)