|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the socialists arrested at the event in Chapter 17?
2. What branch of the Oligarchy also has loyal revolutionists in Chapter 22?
3. What is the Oligarchy beginning to crush through violence in Chapter 10?
4. Who receives potatoes that Avis witnesses in Chapter 12?
5. What do the revolutionists destroy of the Mercenaries in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
2. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
3. Describe the development of Avis and Everhard's relationship.
4. Describe what happened to the cave in the future and its importance in the story of Avis and Everhard.
5. Describe Wickson's son.
6. Describe what happened when Everhard was giving a speech in defense of a bill attended by many soldiers in scarlet livery.
7. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
8. What happened to Bishop Morehouse when he began to preach again?
9. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
10. Describe Avis' remembrance of Jackson and the people affected by his case.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Avis and Everhard are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Avis had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Everhard had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the concept of capitalism as it is portrayed in the Iron Heel. What aspects of the capitalistic society envisioned by Jack London seem apparent today and what do not? How does the conflict in ideologies between capitalism and socialism that London describes seem evident in today's society in America? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
London espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Iron Heel as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the Oligarchy. Describe the worker in Iron Heel. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that London discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways? Discuss and describe.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)