|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do many of the abandoned proletariat turn to find meaning in Chapter 15?
2. What do the workers in both countries do that stop working for a week in Chapter 13?
3. What does Avis witness being thrown into a police convoy in Chapter 24?
4. What does the person who humbly ministers the poor call his or her work in Chapter 12?
5. Who are the people of the abyss in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Oligarchy's intention towards the Grangers.
2. Describe what happened when Everhard was giving a speech in defense of a bill attended by many soldiers in scarlet livery.
3. Describe the three oligarchies Avis says were created through the favored unions.
4. Describe the seamstress.
5. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
6. Describe Wickson's son.
7. Describe how the bomb is thrown in front of Congress.
8. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
9. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
10. What is ironic about Avis' new dwelling after the riots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Iron Heel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Iron Heel?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)