|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose arms does Everhard seek comfort in in Chapter 15?
2. What is Avis alerted of in the footnotes of the last section of the book?
3. Who does Everhard talk to when he contemplates how the Oligarchy will reassert control over the country in Chapter 14?
4. What do the revolutionists destroy of the Mercenaries in Chapter 24?
5. What does Avis witness being thrown into a police convoy in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the effect Cunningham's book has on socialist publications and the revolution.
2. Describe what happened when Everhard was giving a speech in defense of a bill attended by many soldiers in scarlet livery.
3. Describe the seamstress.
4. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
5. Describe Wickson's son.
6. Describe what happened to Avis after the bombing.
7. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
8. Describe the appeal of Biblical faith and prophecy to many of the abandoned proletariat.
9. What bribe does Cunningham refuse and what effect does it have on his life?
10. Describe the Bishop's new occupation and the reasons for doing so.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics are also referred to in the book. London refers to the politics of the society of Iron Heel compared to that of Americans of his time (1900s.) Discuss the use of politics in the novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could London incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Iron Heel is written primarily in the first-person point of view of Avis. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the third-persona and omniscient perspective? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mr. Wickson. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Wickon's character in the novel?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)