|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers a bribe in Chapter 11?
2. Who humbly ministers the poor in Chapter 12?
3. Who is the condemned criminal that actually committed the crime in Chapter 17?
4. What is the new caste group that arose as the Oligarchy developed a new system of government in Chapter 20?
5. Who does Everhard comment is getting bolder in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bribe does Cunningham refuse and what effect does it have on his life?
2. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
3. Describe what happens to Avis and Everhard in the end of the novel.
4. Describe the seamstress.
5. Describe Wickson's son.
6. What happened soon after Everhard got elected to Congress?
7. What is ironic about Avis' new dwelling after the riots?
8. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
9. Describe the Bishop's new occupation and the reasons for doing so.
10. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Iron Heel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Iron Heel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mr. Wickson. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Wickon's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in Iron Heel. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)