|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group exists between the abandoned proletariat and the favored unions in Chapter 16?
2. What does Avis see rising "more ominously in the heavens" as she and a fellow agent move further into the city in Chapter 24?
3. What two countries go to war in Chapter 13?
4. What group comes to a financial agreement with the Oligarchy in in Chapter 15?
5. When the Oligarchy gets word of the impending revolt, where do they plan a preventive strike in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
2. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
3. How is the truth about the bombing ultimately discovered?
4. Describe the development of Avis and Everhard's relationship.
5. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
6. Describe the Oligarchy's intention towards the Grangers.
7. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
8. Describe what happened to Avis after the bombing.
9. Describe the effect Cunningham's book has on socialist publications and the revolution.
10. Describe the Fighting Groups.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of socialism. Identify at least two motifs about socialism and workers' rights in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Avis. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the concept of capitalism as it is portrayed in the Iron Heel. What aspects of the capitalistic society envisioned by Jack London seem apparent today and what do not? How does the conflict in ideologies between capitalism and socialism that London describes seem evident in today's society in America? Describe.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)