|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oligarchy do to prevent the Socialists from gaining a majority in Chapter 13?
2. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
3. Where does the person who is preaching get sent to for his sermon in Chapter 12?
4. Who do the socialists drive out of power in Chapter 14?
5. What group exists between the abandoned proletariat and the favored unions in Chapter 16?
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this dystopian novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Iron Heel practice of gaining power through money and violence. How does this contrast with the Socialist rise to ascendancy? Which group is more committed to success if any? Which group is more ethical and how so? Which group ultimately wins the popular vote and why? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)