|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rises to power in the Oligarchy after opposing the compensation sought by the prisoner that is condemned to death in Chapter 20?
2. What is broken or halted by the Oligarchy across the country in Chapter 10?
3. What is Avis alerted of in the footnotes of the last section of the book?
4. Where does the person who is preaching get sent to for his sermon in Chapter 12?
5. Why are the socialists arrested at the event in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
2. What happened soon after Everhard got elected to Congress?
3. Describe what happened to the cave in the future and its importance in the story of Avis and Everhard.
4. Describe Wickson's son.
5. Describe the appeal of Biblical faith and prophecy to many of the abandoned proletariat.
6. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
7. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
8. Describe the Fighting Groups.
9. How is the truth about the bombing ultimately discovered?
10. Describe the effect of the workers' strike.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this dystopian novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mr. Wickson. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Wickon's character in the novel?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)