|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ironically owns the area that Avis takes refuge in in Chapter 18?
2. For how many months is Avis imprisoned without charge in Chapter 17?
3. What is to begin with a simultaneous, country-wide strike against the pillars of the Oligarchy's social and political structure in Chapter 22?
4. Why are the socialists arrested at the event in Chapter 17?
5. What is Avis disguised as when she escaped the prison in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened soon after Everhard got elected to Congress?
2. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
3. What is ironic about Avis' new dwelling after the riots?
4. How was the First Revolt supposed to begin?
5. Describe the Bishop's new occupation and the reasons for doing so.
6. Describe the development of Avis and Everhard's relationship.
7. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
8. Describe the Fighting Groups.
9. Describe how the bomb is thrown in front of Congress.
10. Describe the effect Cunningham's book has on socialist publications and the revolution.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Cunningham and the Bishop are two important characters that interact and experience significant suffering.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Dr. Cunningham had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bishop had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the time period of the Iron Heel when the women like Avis in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that women of our society today do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Politics are also referred to in the book. London refers to the politics of the society of Iron Heel compared to that of Americans of his time (1900s.) Discuss the use of politics in the novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could London incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)