|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the mass escape of jailed socialists, who is Avis reunited with in Chapter 20?
2. After refusing to take a bribe, who loses his home, wealth and influence in Chapter 11?
3. Who does Everhard comment is getting bolder in Chapter 10?
4. What are the two lives that Avis has lived in Chapter 19?
5. Who is the revolutionary that helps Avis set up her home in the woods in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
2. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
3. Describe the Oligarchy's intention towards the Grangers.
4. How did Avis submerge her identity?
5. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
6. Describe the three oligarchies Avis says were created through the favored unions.
7. Describe the effect of the workers' strike.
8. Describe Avis' remembrance of Jackson and the people affected by his case.
9. What happened to Bishop Morehouse when he began to preach again?
10. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of socialism. Identify at least two motifs about socialism and workers' rights in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)