|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do many proletariats perish as they believed in the end times in Chapter 15?
2. Despite running through murderous mobs, taking refuge under piles of dead bodies, and coming near to death herself, what does Avis feel she can do in Chapter 24?
3. What is the next uprising that Everhard is planning called in Chapter 25?
4. Who wins an election to Congress in Chapter 12?
5. For how many months is Avis imprisoned without charge in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
2. Describe the Fighting Groups.
3. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
4. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
5. How was the First Revolt supposed to begin?
6. Describe what happens to Avis and Everhard in the end of the novel.
7. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
8. Describe Wickson's son.
9. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
10. What happened soon after Everhard got elected to Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics are also referred to in the book. London refers to the politics of the society of Iron Heel compared to that of Americans of his time (1900s.) Discuss the use of politics in the novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could London incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Cunningham and the Bishop are two important characters that interact and experience significant suffering.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Dr. Cunningham had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bishop had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)