|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers a bribe in Chapter 11?
2. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
3. Who is the revolutionary that helps Avis set up her home in the woods in Chapter 19?
4. Who ironically owns the area that Avis takes refuge in in Chapter 18?
5. Who is Avis willing to work in alliance with in Washington in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
2. Describe what happened to Avis after the bombing.
3. What bribe does Cunningham refuse and what effect does it have on his life?
4. Describe the effect of the workers' strike.
5. What happened soon after Everhard got elected to Congress?
6. Describe the Oligarchy's intention towards the Grangers.
7. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
8. Describe what happens to Avis and Everhard in the end of the novel.
9. How did Avis submerge her identity?
10. Describe the Fighting Groups.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. London refers to the politics of the society of Iron Heel compared to that of Americans of his time (1900s.) Discuss the use of politics in the novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could London incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of socialism. Identify at least two motifs about socialism and workers' rights in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)