|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins an election to Congress in Chapter 12?
2. Despite running through murderous mobs, taking refuge under piles of dead bodies, and coming near to death herself, what does Avis feel she can do in Chapter 24?
3. What does the speech defend and support in Chapter 17?
4. What group comes to a financial agreement with the Oligarchy in in Chapter 15?
5. What interrupts the speech in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Iron Heel as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the Oligarchy. Describe the worker in Iron Heel. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that London discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways? Discuss and describe.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of socialism. Identify at least two motifs about socialism and workers' rights in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Avis and Everhard are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Avis had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Everhard had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)