|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Avis think was behind the interruption of the speech in Chapter 16?
2. What does the Oligarchy create involving art in Chapter 14?
3. In whose arms does Everhard seek comfort in in Chapter 15?
4. Whose body does Avis see with Everhard as they try to leave Chicago in Chapter 25?
5. What are the soldiers wearing that attended the speech in Chapter 16?
Essay Topic 1
Politics are also referred to in the book. London refers to the politics of the society of Iron Heel compared to that of Americans of his time (1900s.) Discuss the use of politics in the novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could London incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Iron Heel is written primarily in the first-person point of view of Avis. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the third-persona and omniscient perspective? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)