|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Avis and Everhard travel out of Chicago in Chapter 25?
2. What does Everhard's partners hope that the conflict in the Congressional elections would come to in Chapter 11?
3. Who wins an election to Congress in Chapter 12?
4. What does the Oligarchy do to prevent the Socialists from gaining a majority in Chapter 13?
5. What branch of the Oligarchy also has loyal revolutionists in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Oligarchy's intention towards the Grangers.
2. Describe what happens to Avis and Everhard in the end of the novel.
3. Describe the Bishop's new occupation and the reasons for doing so.
4. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
5. Describe the three oligarchies Avis says were created through the favored unions.
6. Describe how the bomb is thrown in front of Congress.
7. What happened to Bishop Morehouse when he began to preach again?
8. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
9. Describe the appeal of Biblical faith and prophecy to many of the abandoned proletariat.
10. Describe Avis' remembrance of Jackson and the people affected by his case.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Love is a recurring theme in Iron Heel. How does Avis's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has she expanded her awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Avis? How does her feelings for Everhard develop and change and how does her relationship with him contrast with that of other men that she has had romantic or an idealized relationship with? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Avis. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)