|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins an election to Congress in Chapter 12?
2. What are the two lives that Avis has lived in Chapter 19?
3. For how many months is Avis imprisoned without charge in Chapter 17?
4. Who does Everhard comment is getting bolder in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Carson prevent Avis from interacting with for her safety in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened when Everhard was giving a speech in defense of a bill attended by many soldiers in scarlet livery.
2. Describe the Grangers.
3. Describe what happened to Avis after the bombing.
4. Describe the Oligarchy's control of the unions in the United States.
5. How is the truth about the bombing ultimately discovered?
6. What does Avis witness in the city that alarms her?
7. How was the First Revolt supposed to begin?
8. How did Avis submerge her identity?
9. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
10. Describe Wickson's son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Iron Heel as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the Oligarchy. Describe the worker in Iron Heel. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that London discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways? Discuss and describe.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Cunningham and the Bishop are two important characters that interact and experience significant suffering.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Dr. Cunningham had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bishop had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a recurring theme in Iron Heel. How does Avis's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has she expanded her awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Avis? How does her feelings for Everhard develop and change and how does her relationship with him contrast with that of other men that she has had romantic or an idealized relationship with? Describe.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)