|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oligarchy do to prevent the Socialists from gaining a majority in Chapter 13?
2. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
3. Where does the person who is preaching get sent to for his sermon in Chapter 12?
4. Who do the socialists drive out of power in Chapter 14?
5. What group exists between the abandoned proletariat and the favored unions in Chapter 16?
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is written primarily in the first-person point of view of Avis. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the third-persona and omniscient perspective? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the time period of the Iron Heel when the women like Avis in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that women of our society today do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)