|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oligarchy do to prevent the Socialists from gaining a majority in Chapter 13?
2. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
3. Where does the person who is preaching get sent to for his sermon in Chapter 12?
4. Who do the socialists drive out of power in Chapter 14?
5. What group exists between the abandoned proletariat and the favored unions in Chapter 16?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Iron Heel? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Avis. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a recurring theme in Iron Heel. How does Avis's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has she expanded her awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Avis? How does her feelings for Everhard develop and change and how does her relationship with him contrast with that of other men that she has had romantic or an idealized relationship with? Describe.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)