|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the Oligarchy also has loyal revolutionists in Chapter 22?
2. For how many months is Avis imprisoned without charge in Chapter 17?
3. What is impassive and deliberate according to Avis, taking its revenge on the revolutionists in Chapter 25?
4. What event is shrouded in mystery for seven centuries that is mentioned in the last section of the book?
5. What does Avis witness being thrown into a police convoy in Chapter 24?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Iron Heel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Iron Heel?
Essay Topic 2
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Iron Heel is written primarily in the first-person point of view of Avis. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the third-persona and omniscient perspective? Explain.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)