|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What circumstances in London's life that gave rise to his creation of the book?
2. What happened during Jackson's trial in the name of family security?
3. What does the person who Avis sees at her home challenge her to look into?
4. What does Everhard reveal the truth about to Avis in Chapter 4?
5. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
2. Describe the seamstress.
3. Describe Avis' interaction with the company lawyer.
4. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
5. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
6. What bribe does Cunningham refuse and what effect does it have on his life?
7. Describe the effect of the workers' strike.
8. Describe Avis' actions to uncover the truth about Jackson.
9. Describe Wickson's son.
10. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Avis. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Love is a recurring theme in Iron Heel. How does Avis's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has she expanded her awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Avis? How does her feelings for Everhard develop and change and how does her relationship with him contrast with that of other men that she has had romantic or an idealized relationship with? Describe.
This section contains 1,681 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)