Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
2. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
3. Who should share equally in both the responsibilities and the rewards according to London?
4. What does Avis call Everhard?
5. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
2. Describe Avis' actions to uncover the truth about Jackson.
3. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
4. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
5. Describe Wickson's son.
6. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
7. Describe the appeal of Biblical faith and prophecy to many of the abandoned proletariat.
8. Why is it important to be vigilant in society in the Introduction?
9. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
10. Describe Cunningham.
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Iron Heel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Iron Heel?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Cunningham and the Bishop are two important characters that interact and experience significant suffering.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Dr. Cunningham had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bishop had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)