|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Avis find that she falls in love with?
2. What is the term that Avis gives to the sense of impending conflict in Chapter 5?
3. What does Avis say that her life, along with Everhard and others gets sucked into in Chapter 9?
4. What are the two circumstances of time in discussion in the Iron Heel?
5. Who made their money off of the workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
2. Describe Everhard's speech to the Philomaths.
3. Describe the Bishop's new occupation and the reasons for doing so.
4. Describe Meredith's comments on the Oligarchy.
5. Describe the development of Avis and Everhard's relationship.
6. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
7. What is ironic about Avis' new dwelling after the riots?
8. How did Avis submerge her identity?
9. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
10. Describe the effect Cunningham's book has on socialist publications and the revolution.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this dystopian novel.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Cunningham and the Bishop are two important characters that interact and experience significant suffering.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Dr. Cunningham had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bishop had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of socialism. Identify at least two motifs about socialism and workers' rights in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)