|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Avis accuse the group that Everhard talks to of doing in Chapter 4?
2. What did the room where the dinner event was held in Chapter 1 consist mainly of?
3. Who does Dr. Cunningham prod to speak at the dinner event at his house?
4. Who is the armless peddler?
5. What does the Iron Heel also discuss as a method of self-preservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
2. Describe Everhard's effect on Avis.
3. Describe Avis in relationship to the manuscript's creation and storage.
4. Describe the Philomaths.
5. What does the contemporary author H. Bruce Franklin describe about London?
6. What does Everhard argue effectively about at the dinner party?
7. Why does Wickhard offer Everhard a job?
8. Describe Avis' actions to uncover the truth about Jackson.
9. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
10. Describe the journalist's interaction with Avis about the Jackson case.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mr. Wickson. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Wickon's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Iron Heel ethics? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)