Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
2. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
3. Who should share equally in both the responsibilities and the rewards according to London?
4. What does Avis call Everhard?
5. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
2. Describe Avis' actions to uncover the truth about Jackson.
3. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
4. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
5. Describe Wickson's son.
6. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
7. Describe the appeal of Biblical faith and prophecy to many of the abandoned proletariat.
8. Why is it important to be vigilant in society in the Introduction?
9. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
10. Describe Cunningham.
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mr. Wickson. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Wickon's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
London espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Iron Heel as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the Oligarchy. Describe the worker in Iron Heel. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that London discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways? Discuss and describe.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)