|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
2. Who does Avis believe that she will marry by Chapter 4?
3. Where was the manuscript hidden?
4. Who manipulated the trial in favor of the company instead of Jackson?
5. Who does Everhard say is responsible for the plight of the armless peddler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
2. Describe Avis' ongoing investigation of Jackson's life circumstances.
3. Describe Meredith's comments on the Oligarchy.
4. Describe Jackson.
5. Describe the men in the room at Avis' father's dinner party apart from Everhard.
6. Why does Wickhard offer Everhard a job?
7. Why is it important to be vigilant in society in the Introduction?
8. What does Everhard argue effectively about at the dinner party?
9. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
10. Describe the impending conflict Avis begins to experience in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is written primarily in the first-person point of view of Avis. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the third-persona and omniscient perspective? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in America in the time period of the Iron Heel when the women like Avis in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that women of our society today do not have?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)