|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Bishop grows more insistent, what happens in Chapter 6?
2. What happened during Jackson's trial in the name of family security?
3. What does the Iron Heel also discuss as a method of self-preservation?
4. Where will the Bishop go according to the journalists in Chapter 6?
5. Where does Jackson live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Meredith say that the manuscript cannot be taken fully seriously?
2. Describe Bishop Morehouse's speech.
3. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
4. What tension did London experience in his own life that is reflected in the Iron Heel?
5. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
6. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
7. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
8. Describe Meredith's comments on the Oligarchy.
9. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
10. Describe the Philomaths.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Iron Heel? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Avis. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)