|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was out of place from the beginning of the dinner event described in Chapter 1?
2. Who does Avis find that she falls in love with?
3. Who is being treated as a martyr because of sympathy for the poor in Chapter 5?
4. What does Everhard say that the journalists will say about the Bishop in Chapter 6?
5. What does Avis say that her life, along with Everhard and others gets sucked into in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Everhard argue effectively about at the dinner party?
2. Describe Everhard's speech to the Philomaths.
3. Describe Avis in relationship to the manuscript's creation and storage.
4. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
5. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
6. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
7. Why does Meredith say that the manuscript cannot be taken fully seriously?
8. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
9. Describe Avis' ongoing investigation of Jackson's life circumstances.
10. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in Iron Heel. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Cunningham and the Bishop are two important characters that interact and experience significant suffering.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Dr. Cunningham had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bishop had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)