|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did people support the decision against Jackson?
2. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
3. What does Everhard say that the journalists will say about the Bishop in Chapter 6?
4. Who does Avis interview that ran away when faced with uncomfortable truths?
5. What does Avis say that her life, along with Everhard and others gets sucked into in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
2. Describe Everhard's speech to the Philomaths.
3. Describe what happened to the cave in the future and its importance in the story of Avis and Everhard.
4. Describe the impending conflict Avis begins to experience in Chapter 6.
5. What bribe does Cunningham refuse and what effect does it have on his life?
6. Describe the Grangers.
7. Describe the Oligarchy's intention towards the Grangers.
8. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
9. Describe Cunningham.
10. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
Essay Topic 1
London espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Iron Heel as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the Oligarchy. Describe the worker in Iron Heel. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that London discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways? Discuss and describe.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Iron Heel ethics? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,606 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)