|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Avis encounter in the city that has an expression of horror all the time in Chapter 4?
2. What does the person at Avis' home come to return?
3. What was the group that attends Dr. Cunningham's dinner angry at in Chapter 7?
4. What does Wickson offer Everhard in Chapter 6?
5. What is the group that attends Dr. Cunningham's dinner in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Everhard argue effectively about at the dinner party?
2. What tension did London experience in his own life that is reflected in the Iron Heel?
3. Describe Everhard's effect on Avis.
4. What is the two-tiered future described in the Iron Heel?
5. Why does Wickhard offer Everhard a job?
6. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
7. Describe Jackson.
8. Describe the impending conflict Avis begins to experience in Chapter 6.
9. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
10. Describe Bishop Morehouse's speech.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a recurring theme in Iron Heel. How does Avis's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has she expanded her awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Avis? How does her feelings for Everhard develop and change and how does her relationship with him contrast with that of other men that she has had romantic or an idealized relationship with? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Iron Heel is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this dystopian novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the concept of capitalism as it is portrayed in the Iron Heel. What aspects of the capitalistic society envisioned by Jack London seem apparent today and what do not? How does the conflict in ideologies between capitalism and socialism that London describes seem evident in today's society in America? Describe.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)