|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who could be fired for challenging the opinion or story of a newspaper's corporate owners?
2. Who does Avis believe that everyone involved in the Jackson case is bound to?
3. Why did people support the decision against Jackson?
4. What does Avis accuse the group that Everhard talks to of doing in Chapter 4?
5. What is based on the economic and philosophic principle that ﬁnancial proﬁt and reward and accumulation are the rightful reward of those with the passion and the drive to pursue them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
2. Describe the men in the room at Avis' father's dinner party apart from Everhard.
3. Why does Meredith say that the manuscript cannot be taken fully seriously?
4. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
5. Why does Wickhard offer Everhard a job?
6. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
7. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
8. Describe Everhard's effect on Avis.
9. What does Everhard predict about the Bishop that comes true?
10. What tension did London experience in his own life that is reflected in the Iron Heel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iron Heel is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this dystopian novel.
Essay Topic 2
Iron Heel is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the concept of capitalism as it is portrayed in the Iron Heel. What aspects of the capitalistic society envisioned by Jack London seem apparent today and what do not? How does the conflict in ideologies between capitalism and socialism that London describes seem evident in today's society in America? Describe.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)