|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Avis create the manuscript in tribute of?
2. Who could be fired for challenging the opinion or story of a newspaper's corporate owners?
3. Against what did London's socialist ideals exert tension or experience conflict with?
4. What leadership does Avis admire about Everhard?
5. What is based on the economic and philosophic principle that ﬁnancial proﬁt and reward and accumulation are the rightful reward of those with the passion and the drive to pursue them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
2. Describe the journalist's interaction with Avis about the Jackson case.
3. What does Everhard argue effectively about at the dinner party?
4. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
5. Describe Avis' actions to uncover the truth about Jackson.
6. Describe the men in the room at Avis' father's dinner party apart from Everhard.
7. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
8. Why does Wickhard offer Everhard a job?
9. Describe Bishop Morehouse's speech.
10. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the concept of capitalism as it is portrayed in the Iron Heel. What aspects of the capitalistic society envisioned by Jack London seem apparent today and what do not? How does the conflict in ideologies between capitalism and socialism that London describes seem evident in today's society in America? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Iron Heel practice of gaining power through money and violence. How does this contrast with the Socialist rise to ascendancy? Which group is more committed to success if any? Which group is more ethical and how so? Which group ultimately wins the popular vote and why? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Cunningham and the Bishop are two important characters that interact and experience significant suffering.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Dr. Cunningham had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bishop had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)