|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
2. What leadership does Avis admire about Everhard?
3. What does Jackson's living quarters typical of?
4. For how long was the manuscript hidden?
5. What does Avis accuse the group that Everhard talks to of doing in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
2. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
3. Describe Avis in relationship to the manuscript's creation and storage.
4. What does Everhard predict about the Bishop that comes true?
5. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
6. Describe Bishop Morehouse's speech.
7. Describe Meredith's comments on the Oligarchy.
8. Describe the impending conflict Avis begins to experience in Chapter 6.
9. What does the contemporary author H. Bruce Franklin describe about London?
10. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Iron Heel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Iron Heel?
Essay Topic 3
Jack London is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)