|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rises to power in the Oligarchy after opposing the compensation sought by the prisoner that is condemned to death in Chapter 20?
(a) Priests and communist leaders.
(b) Lawyers and company owners.
(c) Anarchists and rebel factions.
(d) Dreamers and doers.
2. Where is Everhard sent to prison in Chapter 17?
3. What does the Oligarchy do to prevent the Socialists from gaining a majority in Chapter 13?
(b) Political machinations.
(c) Stealth surveillance.
(d) Crowd riots.
4. What does Avis witness being thrown into a police convoy in Chapter 24?
(b) Tear gas.
(d) A bomb.
5. Who is willing to destroy the influence of another group through political and violent confrontation in Chapter 16?
(b) Fighting Groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Everhard talk to when he contemplates how the Oligarchy will reassert control over the country in Chapter 14?
2. What are the soldiers wearing that attended the speech in Chapter 16?
3. What branch of the Oligarchy also has loyal revolutionists in Chapter 22?
4. Who begins to speak derisively of the Oligarchy at the event in Chapter 17?
5. What is the person who humbly ministers the poor call his or her work terrified of in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
2. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
3. Describe the effect Cunningham's book has on socialist publications and the revolution.
4. Describe the Fighting Groups.
5. Describe what happened when Everhard was giving a speech in defense of a bill attended by many soldiers in scarlet livery.
6. How did Avis submerge her identity?
7. Describe the Oligarchy's intention towards the Grangers.
8. Describe how the bomb is thrown in front of Congress.
9. Describe what happened to Avis after the bombing.
10. Describe what happened to the cave in the future and its importance in the story of Avis and Everhard.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)