|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Avis' father think of the circumstances surrounding the publication of his book and subsequent events?
(a) An adventure.
(b) A long-forgotten compromise.
(c) A folly.
(d) A regrettable mistake.
2. Who does Everhard comment is getting bolder in Chapter 10?
(c) Iron Heel.
3. Who rises to power in the Oligarchy after opposing the compensation sought by the prisoner that is condemned to death in Chapter 20?
(a) Dreamers and doers.
(b) Priests and communist leaders.
(c) Anarchists and rebel factions.
(d) Lawyers and company owners.
4. What do the workers in both countries do that stop working for a week in Chapter 13?
(a) Factory closings.
(b) A strike.
(c) A demonstration.
(d) Factory fires.
5. Who does Everhard talk to when he contemplates how the Oligarchy will reassert control over the country in Chapter 14?
(a) A Socialist puppet.
(b) A leader of a union.
(c) A Fascist dictator.
(d) A Communist spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the person who humbly ministers the poor call his or her work terrified of in Chapter 12?
2. What does Avis describe as the environment that the Oligarchy, Everhard, and the directors of the revolution operated in Chapter 16?
3. Why are the socialists arrested at the event in Chapter 17?
4. What do the abandoned proletariat wait for in Chapter 15?
5. Where do many proletariats perish as they believed in the end times in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Avis' perspective become distant and objective during the conflict in the city?
2. What is ironic about Avis' new dwelling after the riots?
3. Describe the Fighting Groups.
4. Describe the appeal of Biblical faith and prophecy to many of the abandoned proletariat.
5. Describe the effect of the workers' strike.
6. Why was Everhard and others sent to prison or executed?
7. Describe the conflict of the people of the abyss.
8. What happened to prevent the rebellion of the First Revolt and stop the revolutionaries?
9. Describe Avis' remembrance of Jackson and the people affected by his case.
10. Describe what happened to the cave in the future and its importance in the story of Avis and Everhard.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)