|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Avis believe that everyone involved in the Jackson case is bound to?
(a) A capitalist machine.
(b) Nazi propaganda.
(c) Fear tactics.
(d) A socialist agenda.
2. Who does Avis find that she falls in love with?
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
3. In socialist theory and practice, who were entitled to more than what they were given in wages?
(c) Business owners.
4. Who should share equally in both the responsibilities and the rewards according to London?
(a) The business owner.
(b) The proletariat.
(c) The individual.
(d) The collective.
5. In what principle does Everhard prove that the group is no different from the group they resent in Chapter 7?
(a) Proletarian leanings.
(b) Socialist belief.
(c) Anarchist violence.
(d) Desire for profit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Avis because of her association with Everhard in Chapter 5?
2. For how long was the manuscript hidden?
3. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
4. What does Avis accuse the group that Everhard talks to of doing in Chapter 4?
5. What does Everhard reveal the truth about to Avis in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Meredith say that the manuscript cannot be taken fully seriously?
2. Describe Bishop Morehouse's speech.
3. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
4. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
5. Describe the impending conflict Avis begins to experience in Chapter 6.
6. Describe the Philomaths.
7. Describe the journalist's interaction with Avis about the Jackson case.
8. Describe Avis' ongoing investigation of Jackson's life circumstances.
9. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
10. Describe Cunningham.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)