|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the scientist responsible for many of the society-defining discoveries of the era?
(a) Avis' father.
(b) Avis' brother.
(c) Avis' uncle.
(d) Avis' lover.
2. To whom does the Bishop makes his presentation in Chapter 6?
3. What does Everhard say that the journalists will say about the Bishop in Chapter 6?
(a) He is defeated.
(b) He was unwell.
(c) He was amazing.
(d) He is a liar.
4. Who does Avis become preoccupied with to the point of obsession?
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
5. Who does Avis encounter in the city that has an expression of horror all the time in Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Cunningham.
Short Answer Questions
1. The tension between what two opposing interests is the driving force behind the plot of the Iron Heel?
2. For how long was the manuscript hidden?
3. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
4. Where does Jackson live?
5. Who is the only person that succeeds in arguing against Everhard in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jackson.
2. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
3. Describe Bishop Morehouse's speech.
4. Why is Bishop Morehouse becoming a martyr of sorts?
5. Describe the Philomaths.
6. What does the contemporary author H. Bruce Franklin describe about London?
7. Describe the men in the room at Avis' father's dinner party apart from Everhard.
8. Describe Avis' interaction with the company lawyer.
9. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
10. What does Everhard argue effectively about at the dinner party?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)