|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person who Avis sees at her home tell her that he has given up in order to not compromise his ideals?
2. In what principle does Everhard prove that the group is no different from the group they resent in Chapter 7?
(a) Proletarian leanings.
(b) Anarchist violence.
(c) Desire for profit.
(d) Socialist belief.
3. Against what is it necessary to have strength to prevent it from grinding "us down and walk[ing] upon our faces - from coming true?"
(d) Iron Heel.
4. Who is Avis surprised to see at her house when she returns from visiting the armless peddler?
5. To whom does the Bishop makes his presentation in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Bishop say has drifted from Christ's teaching of compassion?
2. What does Everhard show the group to prove his findings about the use of drafting in Chapter 8?
3. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
4. What are the forces against which London struggled as an individual and against which the revolutionaries struggle in his book?
5. Against what did London's socialist ideals exert tension or experience conflict with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
2. Describe the Philomaths.
3. Why does Meredith say that the manuscript cannot be taken fully seriously?
4. Why does Wickhard offer Everhard a job?
5. Describe Cunningham.
6. What tension did London experience in his own life that is reflected in the Iron Heel?
7. Describe Mr. Wickhard's argument and why Everhard agrees with him.
8. Describe Bishop Morehouse's speech.
9. Describe the men in the room at Avis' father's dinner party apart from Everhard.
10. Describe the essential conflict of the Iron Heel.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)