|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the anti-revolutionary movement change in Chapter 9?
(a) It grows in popularity.
(b) It becomes violent.
(c) It becomes peaceful.
(d) It dies out.
2. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
(a) Fourth Revolt.
(b) Second Revolt.
(c) Third Revolt.
(d) First Revolt.
3. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The songs of their fathers.
(b) The national anthem.
(c) Their own voices.
(d) The music they composed.
4. Who does Dr. Cunningham invite to his dinner in Chapter 7?
5. Who does Avis believe that everyone involved in the Jackson case is bound to?
(a) Nazi propaganda.
(b) A socialist agenda.
(c) Fear tactics.
(d) A capitalist machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Avis because of her association with Everhard in Chapter 5?
2. In socialist theory and practice, who were entitled to more than what they were given in wages?
3. What did speaker after speaker do to Everhard during his speech in Chapter 4?
4. What circumstances in London's life that gave rise to his creation of the book?
5. What is the group that Everhard says is the only group that counter using force through a little known law in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the contemporary author H. Bruce Franklin describe about London?
2. What does Everhard predict about the Bishop that comes true?
3. Why does Avis call Everhard an eagle?
4. Describe Everhard's argument that causes the Bishop to protest.
5. Describe Avis in relationship to the manuscript's creation and storage.
6. Why does Meredith say that the manuscript cannot be taken fully seriously?
7. Describe the impending conflict Avis begins to experience in Chapter 6.
8. What does the Iron Heel reveal about workers according to Franklin?
9. Describe Meredith's comments on the Oligarchy.
10. Describe Everhard's effect on Avis.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)