|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who receives potatoes that Avis witnesses in Chapter 12?
2. What does Everhard's partners hope that the conflict in the Congressional elections would come to in Chapter 11?
(a) A ceasefire.
(b) A wild demonstration.
(c) A peaceful resolution.
(d) A tumultuous resurgence.
3. When the Oligarchy gets word of the impending revolt, where do they plan a preventive strike in Chapter 23?
(a) Ann Arbor.
(c) New York.
4. Whose body does Avis see with Everhard as they try to leave Chicago in Chapter 25?
(a) Bishop Morehouse.
(c) Dr. Cunningham.
5. What is Avis alerted of in the footnotes of the last section of the book?
(a) A bloody massacre.
(b) A revolutionary war.
(c) An upcoming mercenary raid.
(d) An insurgent uprising.
6. Who makes clandestine plans with prison guards while Avis was in prison in Chapter 18?
7. What does the Oligarchy create involving art in Chapter 14?
(a) Fire stations.
(b) Wonder cities.
(c) Monolithic monuments.
(d) Train stations.
8. What does the group give to the Oligarchy in return for financial and material compensation in Chapter 15?
(a) Political support.
(b) Health supplies.
(c) Art supplies.
(d) Economic support.
9. What do many of the abandoned proletariat turn to find meaning in Chapter 15?
(a) Biblical faith.
(b) Communist books.
(c) Revolutionist speeches.
(d) Socialist actions.
10. Who is willing to destroy the influence of another group through political and violent confrontation in Chapter 16?
(d) Fighting Groups.
11. What does the person who humbly ministers the poor call his or her work in Chapter 12?
(a) Christ's work.
(c) A calling.
12. What does Avis see rising "more ominously in the heavens" as she and a fellow agent move further into the city in Chapter 24?
(a) Pillars of smoke.
(c) Violent crime.
13. What are some the fragments of nightmarish memories Avis retains of her night in Chicago in Chapter 25?
(a) Being taken by a soldier, believing her passwords of the Oligarchy, to a hospital.
(b) Being force-fed the remains of a dead rat.
(c) Being captured by ingrates and tortured mercilessly.
(d) Being locked in a prison underground.
14. What does Avis' father think of the circumstances surrounding the publication of his book and subsequent events?
(a) An adventure.
(b) A regrettable mistake.
(c) A folly.
(d) A long-forgotten compromise.
15. Where is Everhard sent to prison in Chapter 17?
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many months is Avis imprisoned without charge in Chapter 17?
2. What is the Oligarchy beginning to crush through violence in Chapter 10?
3. Who does Avis say unequivocally as not having anything to do with the the scary event at the speech in Chapter 17?
4. What does the Oligarchy do to prevent the Socialists from gaining a majority in Chapter 13?
5. Who becomes a spy and vaporizes a prison in Chapter 20?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)