|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Oligarchy do to prevent the Socialists from gaining a majority in Chapter 13?
(b) Crowd riots.
(c) Stealth surveillance.
(d) Political machinations.
2. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
(a) Carson, Jackson, Everhard, and her father.
(b) Her father, Bishop, Jackson, and Jackson's lawyer.
(c) Carson, Wickson, Everhard, and the Bishop.
(d) Her father, her priest, Bishop, and Wickson.
3. Where does the person who is preaching get sent to for his sermon in Chapter 12?
(a) A hospital for the physically inept.
(b) A prison for the handicapped.
(c) A detention facility.
(d) An asylum for the insane.
4. Who do the socialists drive out of power in Chapter 14?
(a) American spies.
(b) French mercenaries.
(c) Russian communists.
(d) Warlord governor.
5. What group exists between the abandoned proletariat and the favored unions in Chapter 16?
(b) Iron Heel spies.
6. Why are the socialists arrested at the event in Chapter 17?
(a) For waging war.
(b) For lampooning Everhard.
(c) For disagreeing with the Oligarchy.
(d) For trying to bomb Congress.
7. Who begins to speak derisively of the Oligarchy at the event in Chapter 17?
8. Who rises to power in the Oligarchy after opposing the compensation sought by the prisoner that is condemned to death in Chapter 20?
(a) Priests and communist leaders.
(b) Anarchists and rebel factions.
(c) Dreamers and doers.
(d) Lawyers and company owners.
9. What do many of the abandoned proletariat turn to find meaning in Chapter 15?
(a) Revolutionist speeches.
(b) Socialist actions.
(c) Biblical faith.
(d) Communist books.
10. What group comes to a financial agreement with the Oligarchy in in Chapter 15?
(a) Rebelling factions.
(b) Favored leftists.
(c) Favored unions.
(d) Ruling anarchists.
11. When the Oligarchy gets word of the impending revolt, where do they plan a preventive strike in Chapter 23?
(a) New York.
(c) Ann Arbor.
12. What branch of the Oligarchy also has loyal revolutionists in Chapter 22?
(b) Alias Terminal.
(c) Secret Service.
13. What event is shrouded in mystery for seven centuries that is mentioned in the last section of the book?
(a) The massacre of the Oligarchs.
(b) The death of Avis.
(c) The birth of the new Mercenaries.
(d) The execution of Ernest Everhard.
14. What is the person who humbly ministers the poor call his or her work terrified of in Chapter 12?
(a) Being controlled by the Socialist machine.
(b) Being found by the Oligarchy and sent to the asylum.
(c) Being defeated through violence by the Anarchists.
(d) Losing all of her wealth and influence.
15. Who does Avis become a partner to in life and work through attention and support in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what does Avis, Everhard and her father move into in Chapter 12?
2. What does Avis describe as the environment that the Oligarchy, Everhard, and the directors of the revolution operated in Chapter 16?
3. What is the name of Avis' alternative personality in Chapter 20?
4. Who does Dr. Cunningham meet in San Francisco in Chapter 16?
5. Who are the people of the abyss in Chapter 24?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)