|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
(a) Her father, her priest, Bishop, and Wickson.
(b) Carson, Jackson, Everhard, and her father.
(c) Her father, Bishop, Jackson, and Jackson's lawyer.
(d) Carson, Wickson, Everhard, and the Bishop.
2. Who makes clandestine plans with prison guards while Avis was in prison in Chapter 18?
3. What does the person who humbly ministers the poor call his or her work in Chapter 12?
(a) A calling.
(d) Christ's work.
4. What is the name of Avis' alternative personality in Chapter 20?
5. Despite running through murderous mobs, taking refuge under piles of dead bodies, and coming near to death herself, what does Avis feel she can do in Chapter 24?
(a) Be loving and compassionate.
(b) Be emotional and passionate.
(c) Be removed, distant, and objective.
(d) Be cold and calculated.
6. What does the group give to the Oligarchy in return for financial and material compensation in Chapter 15?
(a) Economic support.
(b) Art supplies.
(c) Health supplies.
(d) Political support.
7. What is impassive and deliberate according to Avis, taking its revenge on the revolutionists in Chapter 25?
(a) The Impassable Torment.
(b) The Soldier's Cry.
(c) The Iron Heel.
(d) The Bewitched One.
8. What are the soldiers wearing that attended the speech in Chapter 16?
(a) Scarlet livery.
(b) Bulletproof vests.
(c) Red suits.
(d) Wooden rifles.
9. What event is shrouded in mystery for seven centuries that is mentioned in the last section of the book?
(a) The massacre of the Oligarchs.
(b) The birth of the new Mercenaries.
(c) The execution of Ernest Everhard.
(d) The death of Avis.
10. Who is taking a seat in Congress when Dr. Cunningham stayed behind in San Francisco in Chapter 16?
11. Who is condemned to death by the Oligarchy after being discovered as a socialist spy in Chapter 20?
12. Who does Carson prevent Avis from interacting with for her safety in Chapter 19?
(a) Iron Heel spy.
(b) Anarchist rebel.
(c) Nazi sympathizer.
(d) Communist Red.
13. Who offers a bribe in Chapter 11?
14. Who are the people of the abyss in Chapter 24?
(a) The Oligarch fools.
(b) The working/poor classes not afﬁliated with the Favored Unions.
(c) The industrialists of the Mercenaries.
(d) The dancing revolutionaries.
15. When an alliance is forged between the two countries, how is it broken in Chapter 13?
(a) German socialists arose.
(b) American socialists arose.
(c) Russian socialists arose.
(d) French socialists arose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose body does Avis see with Everhard as they try to leave Chicago in Chapter 25?
2. What branch of the Oligarchy also has loyal revolutionists in Chapter 22?
3. What are the two lives that Avis has lived in Chapter 19?
4. What is the Oligarchy beginning to crush through violence in Chapter 10?
5. What does Avis describe as the environment that the Oligarchy, Everhard, and the directors of the revolution operated in Chapter 16?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)