|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Everhard sent to prison in Chapter 17?
2. Where does Avis take refuge in Chapter 18?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) San Marin.
(d) Santa Barbara.
3. Who makes a speech in defense of a bill in Chapter 17?
4. What does Avis witness being thrown into a police convoy in Chapter 24?
(c) A bomb.
(d) Tear gas.
5. Who humbly ministers the poor in Chapter 12?
6. Whose body does Avis see with Everhard as they try to leave Chicago in Chapter 25?
(a) Dr. Cunningham.
(c) Bishop Morehouse.
7. What does Avis see rising "more ominously in the heavens" as she and a fellow agent move further into the city in Chapter 24?
(a) Pillars of smoke.
(b) Violent crime.
8. When the Oligarchy gets word of the impending revolt, where do they plan a preventive strike in Chapter 23?
(b) New York.
(d) Ann Arbor.
9. Where do many proletariats perish as they believed in the end times in Chapter 15?
(a) Mountain tops.
(d) Underground factories.
10. What is the new caste group that arose as the Oligarchy developed a new system of government in Chapter 20?
(d) Favored Unions.
11. What group instigates the riots in Chapter 20?
(a) Chicago Commune.
(d) Iron Heel spies.
12. What is Avis disguised as when she escaped the prison in Chapter 18?
(a) A speaker for the vociferous band of Proletarians.
(b) A priest of the commonwealth of Socialists.
(c) A daughter of a wealthy member of the Oligarchy.
(d) A leader of the group of rebel Anarchists.
13. Who is believed dead but Avis notices during the riots in Chapter 20?
14. Who is condemned to death by the Oligarchy after being discovered as a socialist spy in Chapter 20?
15. What is Avis alerted of in the footnotes of the last section of the book?
(a) An upcoming mercenary raid.
(b) A bloody massacre.
(c) An insurgent uprising.
(d) A revolutionary war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Oligarchy beginning to crush through violence in Chapter 10?
2. What does Avis describe as the environment that the Oligarchy, Everhard, and the directors of the revolution operated in Chapter 16?
3. What are the soldiers wearing that attended the speech in Chapter 16?
4. Who makes clandestine plans with prison guards while Avis was in prison in Chapter 18?
5. What is the next uprising that Everhard is planning called in Chapter 25?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)