|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Avis become a partner to in life and work through attention and support in Chapter 11?
2. Who is the condemned criminal that actually committed the crime in Chapter 17?
3. Who makes clandestine plans with prison guards while Avis was in prison in Chapter 18?
4. What does Avis describe as the environment that the Oligarchy, Everhard, and the directors of the revolution operated in Chapter 16?
(a) Anarchist confusion.
(b) Communist totalitarianism.
(c) Nazi espionage.
(d) Spying mistrust.
5. Who suppresses Dr. Cunningham's book's publication?
6. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
(a) Her father, Bishop, Jackson, and Jackson's lawyer.
(b) Carson, Wickson, Everhard, and the Bishop.
(c) Her father, her priest, Bishop, and Wickson.
(d) Carson, Jackson, Everhard, and her father.
7. Who do the socialists drive out of power in Chapter 14?
(a) American spies.
(b) Russian communists.
(c) French mercenaries.
(d) Warlord governor.
8. What is the Oligarchy beginning to crush through violence in Chapter 10?
(a) The worker.
(b) The leader.
(c) The preacher.
(d) The revolution.
9. Who becomes a spy and vaporizes a prison in Chapter 20?
10. What do many of the abandoned proletariat turn to find meaning in Chapter 15?
(a) Biblical faith.
(b) Revolutionist speeches.
(c) Communist books.
(d) Socialist actions.
11. Who humbly ministers the poor in Chapter 12?
12. Who is condemned to death by the Oligarchy after being discovered as a socialist spy in Chapter 20?
13. Who are the people of the abyss in Chapter 24?
(a) The dancing revolutionaries.
(b) The Oligarch fools.
(c) The industrialists of the Mercenaries.
(d) The working/poor classes not afﬁliated with the Favored Unions.
14. Who offers a bribe in Chapter 11?
15. What is the next uprising that Everhard is planning called in Chapter 25?
(a) Second Revolution.
(c) Underground Affair.
(d) Second Revolt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Avis' father think of the circumstances surrounding the publication of his book and subsequent events?
2. What does Avis see rising "more ominously in the heavens" as she and a fellow agent move further into the city in Chapter 24?
3. Who does Avis think was behind the interruption of the speech in Chapter 16?
4. For how many months is Avis imprisoned without charge in Chapter 17?
5. Who does Dr. Cunningham meet in San Francisco in Chapter 16?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)