|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the mass escape of jailed socialists, who is Avis reunited with in Chapter 20?
2. Who offers a bribe in Chapter 11?
3. What does Everhard believe will continue to fester and rot despite the art created by the Oligarchy in Chapter 14?
(a) The layman.
(b) The control.
(c) The abyss.
(d) The torment.
4. Who are the people of the abyss in Chapter 24?
(a) The working/poor classes not afﬁliated with the Favored Unions.
(b) The dancing revolutionaries.
(c) The industrialists of the Mercenaries.
(d) The Oligarch fools.
5. Who wins an election to Congress in Chapter 12?
6. Who ironically owns the area that Avis takes refuge in in Chapter 18?
7. Who is believed dead but Avis notices during the riots in Chapter 20?
8. Who do the socialists drive out of power in Chapter 14?
(a) Warlord governor.
(b) Russian communists.
(c) American spies.
(d) French mercenaries.
9. Who humbly ministers the poor in Chapter 12?
10. Whose body does Avis see with Everhard as they try to leave Chicago in Chapter 25?
(c) Bishop Morehouse.
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
11. What does Avis see rising "more ominously in the heavens" as she and a fellow agent move further into the city in Chapter 24?
(b) Pillars of smoke.
(d) Violent crime.
12. What do the abandoned proletariat wait for in Chapter 15?
(a) First Coming.
(b) Third Coming.
(c) Second Coming.
(d) Twelfth Coming.
13. In her remembrances, who does Avis think and write about that were sympathizers to her cause in Chapter 20?
(a) Carson, Jackson, Everhard, and her father.
(b) Her father, her priest, Bishop, and Wickson.
(c) Carson, Wickson, Everhard, and the Bishop.
(d) Her father, Bishop, Jackson, and Jackson's lawyer.
14. What does Avis describe as the environment that the Oligarchy, Everhard, and the directors of the revolution operated in Chapter 16?
(a) Nazi espionage.
(b) Spying mistrust.
(c) Anarchist confusion.
(d) Communist totalitarianism.
15. What does Everhard's partners hope that the conflict in the Congressional elections would come to in Chapter 11?
(a) A peaceful resolution.
(b) A wild demonstration.
(c) A tumultuous resurgence.
(d) A ceasefire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some the fragments of nightmarish memories Avis retains of her night in Chicago in Chapter 25?
2. Who does Everhard comment is getting bolder in Chapter 10?
3. What later buries the cave several hundred years later in Chapter 19?
4. What branch of the Oligarchy also has loyal revolutionists in Chapter 22?
5. What group instigates the riots in Chapter 20?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)