|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did London profit from according to the contemporary author in his Introduction?
(a) Some of his popular seminars.
(b) Some of the drawbacks in society.
(c) Some of the sales of his previous books.
(d) Some of the observations of reporters.
2. What does Jackson's living quarters typical of?
(a) His attitude.
(b) His cultural group.
(c) His working class.
(d) His lifestyle.
3. What is the term that Avis gives to the sense of impending conflict in Chapter 5?
4. Where does Jackson live?
(a) A prostitution brothel.
(b) A mob cartel.
(c) A rented, slum-like area by the lake.
(d) An underground tavern.
5. Where will the Bishop go according to the journalists in Chapter 6?
(a) To prison.
(b) To a concentration camp.
(c) On an extended vacation.
(d) On a pilgrimage.
6. Who should share equally in both the responsibilities and the rewards according to London?
(a) The business owner.
(b) The proletariat.
(c) The collective.
(d) The individual.
7. Who was out of place from the beginning of the dinner event described in Chapter 1?
(b) Dr. Cunningham.
8. Who could be fired for challenging the opinion or story of a newspaper's corporate owners?
(a) An intern.
(b) An artist.
(c) A writing assistant.
(d) A journalist.
9. What happens to Avis because of her association with Everhard in Chapter 5?
(a) Being ridiculed by some friends.
(b) Being avoided by some friends.
(c) Being chosen by some friends.
(d) Being heralded as a prophet.
10. Who does Avis believe that everyone involved in the Jackson case is bound to?
(a) Fear tactics.
(b) A socialist agenda.
(c) Nazi propaganda.
(d) A capitalist machine.
11. What is the group that attends Dr. Cunningham's dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) Big business.
(c) Small capitalists.
12. What is based on the economic and philosophic principle that ﬁnancial proﬁt and reward and accumulation are the rightful reward of those with the passion and the drive to pursue them?
13. Who made their money off of the workers?
(a) Business owners.
14. Who does Everhard say is responsible for the plight of the armless peddler?
(d) They are.
15. What happened during Jackson's trial in the name of family security?
(a) Selfishness and greed.
(b) Cowardice and manipulation.
(c) Corruption and self-denial.
(d) Violence and self-deprecation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Avis find that she falls in love with?
2. What does Everhard reveal the truth about to Avis in Chapter 4?
3. Who does the Bishop say has drifted from Christ's teaching of compassion?
4. To whom does the Bishop makes his presentation in Chapter 6?
5. Against what did London's socialist ideals exert tension or experience conflict with?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)