|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
(a) Fourth Revolt.
(b) First Revolt.
(c) Third Revolt.
(d) Second Revolt.
2. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
(a) Art, philosophy, and natural sciences.
(b) Business, art, and economics.
(c) Business, politics, and governance.
(d) Natural sciences and psychology.
3. Who should share equally in both the responsibilities and the rewards according to London?
(a) The collective.
(b) The individual.
(c) The proletariat.
(d) The business owner.
4. What does Avis call Everhard?
(a) Her nemesis.
(b) Her trouble.
(c) Her lover.
(d) Her eagle.
5. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
6. What happened during Jackson's trial in the name of family security?
(a) Violence and self-deprecation.
(b) Selfishness and greed.
(c) Cowardice and manipulation.
(d) Corruption and self-denial.
7. Who is Avis surprised to see at her house when she returns from visiting the armless peddler?
8. What does Everhard say revolutionaries will be willing to do in Chapter 5?
(a) Move to another country to continue protesting.
(b) Give up their right to bear arms.
(c) Hold peaceful demonstrations at all hours.
(d) Respond to violence with violence.
9. What was secretly published during the three centuries of the Iron Heel?
(a) Jackson's letters.
(b) Dr. Cunningham's manuscripts.
(c) Everhard's books.
(d) Avis' calligraphic reports.
10. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The national anthem.
(b) The music they composed.
(c) The songs of their fathers.
(d) Their own voices.
11. What does Avis do for the Bishop's speech in Chapter 6?
(a) Write it.
(b) Hide it.
(c) Edit it.
(d) Transcribe it.
12. To whom does the Bishop makes his presentation in Chapter 6?
13. How does the anti-revolutionary movement change in Chapter 9?
(a) It grows in popularity.
(b) It dies out.
(c) It becomes violent.
(d) It becomes peaceful.
14. In socialist theory and practice, who were entitled to more than what they were given in wages?
(a) Business owners.
15. What surprisingly has come into effect that the book predicted?
(a) Technological advancement.
(b) Disenfranchisement of the working poor.
(c) Causes and effects of the workers' movement.
(d) Food and agricultural changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the economic and philosophic theory that humanity should work together for the good of all humanity?
2. What does Jackson's living quarters typical of?
3. What happens to Avis because of her association with Everhard in Chapter 5?
4. Who is the armless peddler?
5. What does Everhard say that the journalists will say about the Bishop in Chapter 6?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)