|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The music they composed.
(b) The national anthem.
(c) The songs of their fathers.
(d) Their own voices.
2. Who does Avis believe that everyone involved in the Jackson case is bound to?
(a) Fear tactics.
(b) Nazi propaganda.
(c) A capitalist machine.
(d) A socialist agenda.
3. Who is being treated as a martyr because of sympathy for the poor in Chapter 5?
4. Who should share equally in both the responsibilities and the rewards according to London?
(a) The proletariat.
(b) The collective.
(c) The individual.
(d) The business owner.
5. Since the death of his wife, what had Dr. Cunningham become?
(a) A dinner party sociologist.
(b) A recluse.
(c) A demanding professor.
(d) A hard drinker.
6. What does the contemporary author that offers a perspective in the Introduction think of London's writing?
7. To whom did Avis create the manuscript in tribute of?
(a) Her dead brother.
(b) Her dead father.
(c) Her dead husband.
(d) Her dead mother.
8. What does the Iron Heel also discuss as a method of self-preservation?
(a) Ability to work.
(d) Ability to make fire.
9. What leadership does Avis admire about Everhard?
(a) Underground revolutionary movement.
(b) Anarchist rebellion.
(c) Revolutionary socialist movement.
(d) Socialist worker movement.
10. What does the person who Avis sees at her home tell her that he has given up in order to not compromise his ideals?
11. To whom does the Bishop makes his presentation in Chapter 6?
12. Where does Jackson live?
(a) An underground tavern.
(b) A rented, slum-like area by the lake.
(c) A prostitution brothel.
(d) A mob cartel.
13. Who is the only person that succeeds in arguing against Everhard in Chapter 4?
14. What is based on the economic and philosophic principle that ﬁnancial proﬁt and reward and accumulation are the rightful reward of those with the passion and the drive to pursue them?
15. What surprisingly has come into effect that the book predicted?
(a) Technological advancement.
(b) Food and agricultural changes.
(c) Disenfranchisement of the working poor.
(d) Causes and effects of the workers' movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
2. What does Everhard consider Wickson's offer in Chapter 6?
3. What are the two circumstances of time in discussion in the Iron Heel?
4. In what principle does Everhard prove that the group is no different from the group they resent in Chapter 7?
5. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)