|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jackson's living quarters typical of?
(a) His lifestyle.
(b) His working class.
(c) His cultural group.
(d) His attitude.
2. Who was the scientist responsible for many of the society-defining discoveries of the era?
(a) Avis' father.
(b) Avis' lover.
(c) Avis' brother.
(d) Avis' uncle.
3. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
(b) Dr. Cunningham.
4. Who does Everhard question that the intellectual class really supports?
(a) Working class.
5. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The national anthem.
(b) The music they composed.
(c) Their own voices.
(d) The songs of their fathers.
6. Who does Dr. Cunningham prod to speak at the dinner event at his house?
7. Where will the Bishop go according to the journalists in Chapter 6?
(a) To prison.
(b) On an extended vacation.
(c) To a concentration camp.
(d) On a pilgrimage.
8. Who does Everhard speak to in Chapter 4?
(a) The Revolutionists.
(b) The Philomaths.
(c) The Grangers.
(d) The Wicksons.
9. Who does the Bishop say has drifted from Christ's teaching of compassion?
(a) Avis and Everhard.
(b) His family and friends.
(c) Oligarchy and Anarchists.
(d) Society, government, and the church.
10. To whom did Avis create the manuscript in tribute of?
(a) Her dead mother.
(b) Her dead father.
(c) Her dead brother.
(d) Her dead husband.
11. For how long was the manuscript hidden?
(a) 2 centuries.
(b) 10 centuries.
(c) 7 centuries.
(d) 12 centuries.
12. Against what did London's socialist ideals exert tension or experience conflict with?
(a) Marxist experience.
(b) Fascist experience.
(c) Capitalist experience.
(d) Socialist experience.
13. What is based on the economic and philosophic principle that ﬁnancial proﬁt and reward and accumulation are the rightful reward of those with the passion and the drive to pursue them?
14. What does Everhard say revolutionaries will be willing to do in Chapter 5?
(a) Move to another country to continue protesting.
(b) Give up their right to bear arms.
(c) Respond to violence with violence.
(d) Hold peaceful demonstrations at all hours.
15. Who does Avis believe that everyone involved in the Jackson case is bound to?
(a) Fear tactics.
(b) A capitalist machine.
(c) A socialist agenda.
(d) Nazi propaganda.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Avis become preoccupied with to the point of obsession?
2. When was the Iron Heel published?
3. Who does the group that Everhard speak to in Chapter 4 comprise?
4. What does the person who Avis sees at her home tell her that he has given up in order to not compromise his ideals?
5. Against what is it necessary to have strength to prevent it from grinding "us down and walk[ing] upon our faces - from coming true?"
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)