|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
(b) Dr. Cunningham.
2. What did Everhard elaborate on the relationship between?
(a) Peddlers and peddling.
(b) Socialists and revolutionists.
(c) Working and capitalist classes.
(d) Rebels and communists.
3. What does Everhard reveal the truth about to Avis in Chapter 4?
(a) The rebels and the Anarchists.
(b) The workers and the Socialists.
(c) The rich and the Oligarchy.
(d) The poor and the working classes.
4. What does Wickson offer Everhard in Chapter 6?
(a) A peace offering.
(b) A position in the army.
(c) A job.
(d) A car.
5. Against what did London's socialist ideals exert tension or experience conflict with?
(a) Fascist experience.
(b) Capitalist experience.
(c) Marxist experience.
(d) Socialist experience.
6. Who does Everhard say is responsible for the plight of the armless peddler?
(a) They are.
7. Who does Avis become preoccupied with to the point of obsession?
(c) Dr. Cunningham.
8. What surprisingly has come into effect that the book predicted?
(a) Technological advancement.
(b) Causes and effects of the workers' movement.
(c) Food and agricultural changes.
(d) Disenfranchisement of the working poor.
9. Who does Avis interview that ran away when faced with uncomfortable truths?
(a) Company lawyer.
(b) Oligarchy leader.
(c) Revolutionist leader.
(d) Family lawyer.
10. What are the two circumstances of time in discussion in the Iron Heel?
(a) Utopian present and Dystopian future.
(b) Socialist revolution and Utopian future.
(c) Anarchical present and Tyrannical future.
(d) Marxist present and Fascist future.
11. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The national anthem.
(b) Their own voices.
(c) The music they composed.
(d) The songs of their fathers.
12. On what ticket does Everhard run for Congress in in Chapter 7?
13. What did London profit from according to the contemporary author in his Introduction?
(a) Some of the sales of his previous books.
(b) Some of his popular seminars.
(c) Some of the drawbacks in society.
(d) Some of the observations of reporters.
14. Where was the manuscript hidden?
(a) In a safe.
(b) In a tavern.
(c) Ancient oak tree.
(d) In a cave.
15. Who was the scientist responsible for many of the society-defining discoveries of the era?
(a) Avis' lover.
(b) Avis' uncle.
(c) Avis' father.
(d) Avis' brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Avis surprised to see at her house when she returns from visiting the armless peddler?
2. What does Avis call Everhard?
3. Where will the Bishop go according to the journalists in Chapter 6?
4. When was the Iron Heel published?
5. Against what is it necessary to have strength to prevent it from grinding "us down and walk[ing] upon our faces - from coming true?"
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)