|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Avis believe that she will marry by Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Cunningham.
2. How does the anti-revolutionary movement change in Chapter 9?
(a) It dies out.
(b) It becomes violent.
(c) It becomes peaceful.
(d) It grows in popularity.
3. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
(a) Art, philosophy, and natural sciences.
(b) Natural sciences and psychology.
(c) Business, art, and economics.
(d) Business, politics, and governance.
4. Who does the Bishop say has drifted from Christ's teaching of compassion?
(a) Society, government, and the church.
(b) His family and friends.
(c) Avis and Everhard.
(d) Oligarchy and Anarchists.
5. Against what is it necessary to have strength to prevent it from grinding "us down and walk[ing] upon our faces - from coming true?"
(d) Iron Heel.
6. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The music they composed.
(b) The songs of their fathers.
(c) Their own voices.
(d) The national anthem.
7. What leadership does Avis admire about Everhard?
(a) Underground revolutionary movement.
(b) Socialist worker movement.
(c) Anarchist rebellion.
(d) Revolutionary socialist movement.
8. Who is the armless peddler?
(a) Dr. Cunningham.
9. What is the group that Everhard says is the only group that counter using force through a little known law in Chapter 8?
(a) American militia.
(b) Government associations.
(c) Business owners.
(d) Legal groups.
10. What does Avis accuse the group that Everhard talks to of doing in Chapter 4?
(a) Mismanaging society.
(b) Being selfish.
(c) Lying profusely.
(d) Being lazy.
11. In what principle does Everhard prove that the group is no different from the group they resent in Chapter 7?
(a) Proletarian leanings.
(b) Anarchist violence.
(c) Desire for profit.
(d) Socialist belief.
12. What are the forces against which London struggled as an individual and against which the revolutionaries struggle in his book?
13. What is the name of Dr. Cunningham's dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) Games and Gander.
(b) Profit and Loss.
(c) Fools and Wise Men.
(d) Love and Death.
14. What does Avis call Everhard?
(a) Her trouble.
(b) Her eagle.
(c) Her lover.
(d) Her nemesis.
15. What was the group that attends Dr. Cunningham's dinner angry at in Chapter 7?
(a) Socialists and their power.
(b) Anarchists and their chaos.
(c) Oligarchy and their structure.
(d) Large corporations and trusts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname that Everhard gives to the intellectual class?
2. For how long was the manuscript hidden?
3. What is the economic and philosophic theory that humanity should work together for the good of all humanity?
4. What does Avis realize she was complicit in doing by Chapter 3?
5. What did London profit from according to the contemporary author in his Introduction?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)