|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Everhard reveal the truth about to Avis in Chapter 4?
(a) The workers and the Socialists.
(b) The rich and the Oligarchy.
(c) The rebels and the Anarchists.
(d) The poor and the working classes.
2. Who does Avis believe that she will marry by Chapter 4?
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
3. What did Everhard elaborate on the relationship between?
(a) Rebels and communists.
(b) Working and capitalist classes.
(c) Socialists and revolutionists.
(d) Peddlers and peddling.
4. Who manipulated the trial in favor of the company instead of Jackson?
(a) Jackson's superiors.
(b) Company's lawyers.
(c) Jackson's lawyers.
(d) Company's leadership.
5. Who does Everhard question that the intellectual class really supports?
(d) Working class.
6. What does Avis realize she was complicit in doing by Chapter 3?
(a) Perpetuating the situation.
(b) Imprisoning Everhard.
(c) Punishing her father.
(d) Betraying the Bishop.
7. What did speaker after speaker do to Everhard during his speech in Chapter 4?
(a) Submit to him.
(b) Defeat him.
(c) Challenge him.
(d) Interrupt him.
8. What does the person at Avis' home come to return?
(a) Tins and cans.
(b) Ammunition supplies.
(c) Borrowed umbrella.
(d) Borrowed books.
9. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The songs of their fathers.
(b) The music they composed.
(c) Their own voices.
(d) The national anthem.
10. What are the forces against which London struggled as an individual and against which the revolutionaries struggle in his book?
11. The tension between what two opposing interests is the driving force behind the plot of the Iron Heel?
(a) Proletariats and socialists.
(b) Workers and capitalists.
(c) Socialists and economists.
(d) Marxists and Fascists.
12. Where will the Bishop go according to the journalists in Chapter 6?
(a) On a pilgrimage.
(b) To a concentration camp.
(c) To prison.
(d) On an extended vacation.
13. Who does Everhard say is responsible for the plight of the armless peddler?
(c) They are.
14. What does the person that challenges Everhard say will happen to revolutionaries in Chapter 4?
(a) Crushed by violence.
(b) Be moved to camps.
(c) Win in a landslide election.
(d) Defeated by popular vote.
15. Where was the manuscript hidden?
(a) In a safe.
(b) In a tavern.
(c) Ancient oak tree.
(d) In a cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did people support the decision against Jackson?
2. Who was the scientist responsible for many of the society-defining discoveries of the era?
3. Against what is it necessary to have strength to prevent it from grinding "us down and walk[ing] upon our faces - from coming true?"
4. What does Wickson offer Everhard in Chapter 6?
5. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)