|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Avis encounter in the city that has an expression of horror all the time in Chapter 4?
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
2. Who made their money off of the workers?
(b) Business owners.
3. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
(a) Third Revolt.
(b) Second Revolt.
(c) First Revolt.
(d) Fourth Revolt.
4. Where does Jackson live?
(a) A mob cartel.
(b) An underground tavern.
(c) A prostitution brothel.
(d) A rented, slum-like area by the lake.
5. What did London profit from according to the contemporary author in his Introduction?
(a) Some of his popular seminars.
(b) Some of the observations of reporters.
(c) Some of the drawbacks in society.
(d) Some of the sales of his previous books.
6. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
(a) Natural sciences and psychology.
(b) Art, philosophy, and natural sciences.
(c) Business, art, and economics.
(d) Business, politics, and governance.
7. Who does Avis believe that she will marry by Chapter 4?
(c) Dr. Cunningham.
8. What happened during Jackson's trial in the name of family security?
(a) Violence and self-deprecation.
(b) Corruption and self-denial.
(c) Cowardice and manipulation.
(d) Selfishness and greed.
9. Who is being treated as a martyr because of sympathy for the poor in Chapter 5?
10. What does Everhard say that the journalists will say about the Bishop in Chapter 6?
(a) He was unwell.
(b) He is a liar.
(c) He is defeated.
(d) He was amazing.
11. What is the name of Dr. Cunningham's dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) Fools and Wise Men.
(b) Games and Gander.
(c) Profit and Loss.
(d) Love and Death.
12. What does the person at Avis' home come to return?
(a) Tins and cans.
(b) Borrowed umbrella.
(c) Ammunition supplies.
(d) Borrowed books.
13. Who protests the treatment of workers at the risk of being discharged?
(b) Dr. Cunningham.
14. What is the nickname that Everhard gives to the intellectual class?
(c) Trust betrayers.
15. What was the group that attends Dr. Cunningham's dinner angry at in Chapter 7?
(a) Oligarchy and their structure.
(b) Anarchists and their chaos.
(c) Large corporations and trusts.
(d) Socialists and their power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Everhard reveal the truth about to Avis in Chapter 4?
2. Who does Avis find that she falls in love with?
3. In socialist theory and practice, who were entitled to more than what they were given in wages?
4. What did Everhard elaborate on the relationship between?
5. Who does Avis become preoccupied with to the point of obsession?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)