|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Meredith say in a footnote that there are several of in the world?
2. What circumstances in London's life that gave rise to his creation of the book?
(a) Artistic and evolutionary.
(b) Personal and creative.
(c) Economic and theoretical.
(d) Political and social.
3. The tension between what two opposing interests is the driving force behind the plot of the Iron Heel?
(a) Socialists and economists.
(b) Marxists and Fascists.
(c) Proletariats and socialists.
(d) Workers and capitalists.
4. Who does Everhard speak to in Chapter 4?
(a) The Wicksons.
(b) The Philomaths.
(c) The Grangers.
(d) The Revolutionists.
5. What does Avis accuse the group that Everhard talks to of doing in Chapter 4?
(a) Lying profusely.
(b) Being selfish.
(c) Being lazy.
(d) Mismanaging society.
6. What is the name of Dr. Cunningham's dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) Fools and Wise Men.
(b) Love and Death.
(c) Games and Gander.
(d) Profit and Loss.
7. Against what did London's socialist ideals exert tension or experience conflict with?
(a) Capitalist experience.
(b) Fascist experience.
(c) Marxist experience.
(d) Socialist experience.
8. What did Everhard elaborate on the relationship between?
(a) Socialists and revolutionists.
(b) Peddlers and peddling.
(c) Working and capitalist classes.
(d) Rebels and communists.
9. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) Their own voices.
(b) The national anthem.
(c) The music they composed.
(d) The songs of their fathers.
10. What is the nickname that Everhard gives to the intellectual class?
(d) Trust betrayers.
11. Who was the scientist responsible for many of the society-defining discoveries of the era?
(a) Avis' brother.
(b) Avis' uncle.
(c) Avis' father.
(d) Avis' lover.
12. Who does Avis believe that she will marry by Chapter 4?
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
13. What leadership does Avis admire about Everhard?
(a) Socialist worker movement.
(b) Anarchist rebellion.
(c) Underground revolutionary movement.
(d) Revolutionary socialist movement.
14. Who does Dr. Cunningham prod to speak at the dinner event at his house?
15. Who was Avis surprised to see at one of her father's social events?
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Everhard challenge to investigate the case of the armless peddler?
2. What did the room where the dinner event was held in Chapter 1 consist mainly of?
3. Who protests the treatment of workers at the risk of being discharged?
4. When the Bishop grows more insistent, what happens in Chapter 6?
5. What does the Iron Heel also discuss as a method of self-preservation?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)