|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Everhard consider Wickson's offer in Chapter 6?
(a) A truce.
(b) A lovely gift.
(c) An admission of guilt.
(d) A bribe.
2. Who does Avis find that she falls in love with?
(c) Dr. Cunningham.
3. Who does Avis believe that she will marry by Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Cunningham.
4. What did speaker after speaker do to Everhard during his speech in Chapter 4?
(a) Challenge him.
(b) Interrupt him.
(c) Defeat him.
(d) Submit to him.
5. What happened during Jackson's trial in the name of family security?
(a) Selfishness and greed.
(b) Violence and self-deprecation.
(c) Cowardice and manipulation.
(d) Corruption and self-denial.
6. What does the person who Avis sees at her home tell her that he has given up in order to not compromise his ideals?
7. Why did people support the decision against Jackson?
(a) Because they were cowards.
(b) Because they feared losing support of their families.
(c) Because they were afraid of overheating.
(d) Because they were afraid of the Oligarchy.
8. What leadership does Avis admire about Everhard?
(a) Revolutionary socialist movement.
(b) Anarchist rebellion.
(c) Underground revolutionary movement.
(d) Socialist worker movement.
9. What is the group that attends Dr. Cunningham's dinner in Chapter 7?
(b) Big business.
(c) Small capitalists.
10. What does Avis call Everhard?
(a) Her nemesis.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her eagle.
(d) Her trouble.
11. Where does Jackson live?
(a) An underground tavern.
(b) A mob cartel.
(c) A rented, slum-like area by the lake.
(d) A prostitution brothel.
12. Against what did London's socialist ideals exert tension or experience conflict with?
(a) Capitalist experience.
(b) Fascist experience.
(c) Socialist experience.
(d) Marxist experience.
13. In what principle does Everhard prove that the group is no different from the group they resent in Chapter 7?
(a) Socialist belief.
(b) Desire for profit.
(c) Proletarian leanings.
(d) Anarchist violence.
14. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
(a) Dr. Cunningham.
15. Who was London greatly influenced by in his writing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person at Avis' home come to return?
2. What does Wickson offer Everhard in Chapter 6?
3. Who does Avis interview that ran away when faced with uncomfortable truths?
4. What was secretly published during the three centuries of the Iron Heel?
5. What does Avis accuse the group that Everhard talks to of doing in Chapter 4?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)