|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Everhard find complicit in the capitalist system?
(d) Dr. Cunningham.
2. Who does Avis believe that she will marry by Chapter 4?
(c) Dr. Cunningham.
3. Who is the contemporary author that offers a perspective in the Introduction?
(a) George Orwell.
(b) Theodore Dryser.
(c) H. Bruce Franklin.
(d) Jack London.
4. What does Meredith say in a footnote that there are several of in the world?
5. In what sectors is the group that Everhard speaks to in Chapter 4 leaders in?
(a) Art, philosophy, and natural sciences.
(b) Business, politics, and governance.
(c) Natural sciences and psychology.
(d) Business, art, and economics.
6. After the failure of what did idealism suffer damage according to Meredith?
(a) First Revolt.
(b) Second Revolt.
(c) Fourth Revolt.
(d) Third Revolt.
7. What did the intellectual class love to hear the sound of in Chapter 1 according to Avis?
(a) The music they composed.
(b) The national anthem.
(c) The songs of their fathers.
(d) Their own voices.
8. Who was London greatly influenced by in his writing?
9. Against what is it necessary to have strength to prevent it from grinding "us down and walk[ing] upon our faces - from coming true?"
(d) Iron Heel.
10. What is the name of Dr. Cunningham's dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) Fools and Wise Men.
(b) Profit and Loss.
(c) Games and Gander.
(d) Love and Death.
11. What is the nickname that Everhard gives to the intellectual class?
(a) Trust betrayers.
12. Who does Dr. Cunningham prod to speak at the dinner event at his house?
13. Who was the scientist responsible for many of the society-defining discoveries of the era?
(a) Avis' father.
(b) Avis' uncle.
(c) Avis' lover.
(d) Avis' brother.
14. What does the Iron Heel also discuss as a method of self-preservation?
(a) Ability to make fire.
(b) Ability to work.
15. What is based on the economic and philosophic principle that ﬁnancial proﬁt and reward and accumulation are the rightful reward of those with the passion and the drive to pursue them?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was secretly published during the three centuries of the Iron Heel?
2. What does Everhard say revolutionaries will be willing to do in Chapter 5?
3. What does Everhard show the group to prove his findings about the use of drafting in Chapter 8?
4. What circumstances in London's life that gave rise to his creation of the book?
5. Who is Avis surprised to see at her house when she returns from visiting the armless peddler?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)