|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who defends Mr. Grimke when he faces trial and impeachment in Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812?
2. As punishment for teaching Handful to read, Sarah is forbidden from entering what room in the Grimke household in Part 1, November 1803 – February 1805?
3. How old is Sarah Grimke when she is allowed to venture out of the nursery and is given a waiting maid in Part 1, November 1803 – February 1805?
4. What is Mauma's full name in the novel?
5. How much do the slave records indicate Mauma is worth when she examines them in Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mauma intend to do with the money she earns as a hired-out slave in Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812? What does she tell Handful of her plans?
2. What items from the Grimke household go missing in Part 1, November 1803 – February 1805? Who steals these items?
3. What is Sarah's mother's response when Sarah pleads with her regarding Handful after her eleventh birthday party?
4. What incident led to Sarah's speech impediment? What kind of speech impediment does Sarah have?
5. What do Handful and Nina help Sarah to prepare for in the beginning of Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812? Why?
6. How are Handful's feelings about Sarah described when Handful is seventeen in Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812?
7. Why does Mr. Grimke take his family to their upcountry estate in Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812? How does Sarah respond?
8. What does Sarah discover Handful doing when her family returns from their upcountry estate in Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812? How does she respond?
9. What impressions does Denmark Vesey make on Handful and Mauma in Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812?
10. How has the friendship between Sarah and Handful evolved in the beginning of Part 2, February 1811 – December 1812?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Catherine Morris in the novel. How old is Catherine? For how long has Catherine lived in Israel’s home? What is the relationship like between Israel and his sister? What conflicts arise between Catherine Morris and Sarah Grimke in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of religion in The Invention of Wings. What church does the Grimke family attend regularly? What are Sarah Grimke’s religious beliefs? Why does Nina Grimke refuse to be confirmed into her family’s church? How does the A.M.E. Church in the novel differ from the white churches? How do the Quakers stand apart from the other churches in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of Mr. Grimke’s death in the narrative. How is Sarah affected by her father’s death? In what ways do Sarah and Mr. Grimke come to terms with their differences before he dies? What impact does Mr. Grimke’s death, will, and testament have on the slaves at the Grimke estate?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)