|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, September 1821 – July 1822.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task is Sarah given when she stays at Israel Morris's estate in Part Four, September 1821 – July 1822?
(a) Polishing the silver.
(b) Educating the children.
(c) Handling the bank records.
(d) Maintaining the flower garden.
2. Who serves as the reverend pastor at the black church that Handful begins attending in Charleston in Part Three, October 1818 – November 1820?
(a) Robert Hayne.
(b) Theodore Weld.
(c) Burke Williams.
(d) Morris Brown.
3. How many names are on Denmark Vesey's list that Handful burns after Denmark's capture in Part Four, September 1821 – July 1822?
4. What slave is arrested after it is reported that there has been talk of an insurrection by the wharves in Part Four, September 1821 – July 1822?
(a) Robert Hayne.
(b) Elizur Wright.
(c) William Paul.
(d) Burke Williams.
5. Denmark Vesey explains the numbers from Mauma's quilt by telling Handful they represent what in Part Three, October 1818 – November 1820?
(a) The numbers that were branded on him when he became a slave.
(b) His winning lottery numbers.
(c) The year he wanted to marry Mauma.
(d) The year Mauma would be freed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mrs. Grimke's lawyer that she writes to for help getting money in Part Four, September 1821 – July 1822?
2. How old is Sarah Grimke when Burke Williams proposes to her?
3. Whose journal does Israel Morris give to Sarah to read in Part Three, October 1818 – November 1820?
4. By what year had all the northern states abolished slavery?
5. What term from the novel refers to the medical use of seawater as a form of therapy?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)